Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

firsttimelongtime

dawn - the true account

For your your information we were with out stabilizers for a very long time during the night. In fact the captain made an announcement when he was able to use them. If anyone remembers the details about that announcement please post.

The 'stabilizer' item is very interesting! Did the captain (or anyone) indicate why the stabilizers were retracted when they were most needed?

I'm not positive but I think in very rough conditions the stabilizers may have to be retracted.

Scott

I'm glad that you are back safe.

I was on the 3/20 sailing and was really disappointed with the cruise and we had perfectly fine weather. I posted that I was disappointed with the Dawn and it definitely is not a popular opinion with this board. I think there may be koolaid involved here or they work for NCL. Why else would people get so upset with my opinion--it's just an opinion.

Well, there are opinions, and then there are "Opinions!" -- the latter being purposely confrontational, intentionally controversial, or dramatically opinionated. Most readers are easily able to detect the difference (references to "KoolAid involved" is a tip-off), and don't appreciate such showboating.

Did I just express an opinion? I believe I did!

As a moderator and using that title when you post it is your job to be neutral IMO. You weren't.
It's not my job to be a neutral observer. My function here isn't to agree with everyone and make nice. You can ask the community manager and she will tell you the same thing. I'm a board member. I'm also a volunteer. I am not paid to be here and I'm not here to just keep the peace. I am allowed my opinion as long as I don't violate the community guidelines (the same rules you follow) and it really bothers me that you want to censor me from giving it.

I neither attacked miss riss or anyone else. I sympathized with miss riss's situation and also questioned why it was a problem for other people to question the accounts given when her only response is that since none of us were there, we can't know what happened. I agreed with that but also said that as a message board, when you post your account of a story, other people will question it or offer differing stories and just because none of us were there, we can still have opinions on the incident. For the life of me I don't understand why I'm being attacked for making a simple non combative statement and being supportive of miss riss.

Stupid question: Is it possible those things could snap off in rough seas? I know they are there and I have a vague idea what they look like. Has anyone ever seen a photo of these things?

As a moderator and using that title when you post it is your job to be neutral IMO. You weren't. And as you can see a number of us agree. What you said just fed the "attack the OP" frenzy.

As a member of this board she, and all the other moderators, are free to express their opinion just as any other member is free to do. This board has thousands of members who are also free to express their opinions. I doubt their is anything you will ever find that everyone will all agree on. Variety is the spice of life they say and I for one enjoy reading all opinions whether I agree with them or not.

I don't post much here but I do read a lot here and quite frankly the moderators on this board are some of the most fair and professional on the dozen or so different internet boards I frequent. I didn't take her comments as an "attack" at all but perhaps I just like to look at things from both sides of the coin.

Thanks for doing such a great job moderators! :)

It's not my job to be a neutral observer. My function here isn't to agree with everyone and make nice. You can ask the community manager and she will tell you the same thing. I'm a board member. I'm also a volunteer. I am not paid to be here and I'm not here to just keep the peace. I am allowed my opinion as long as I don't violate the community guidelines (the same rules you follow) and it really bothers me that you want to censor me from giving it.

I neither attacked miss riss or anyone else. I sympathized with miss riss's situation and also questioned why it was a problem for other people to question the accounts given when her only response is that since none of us were there, we can't know what happened. I agreed with that but also said that as a message board, when you post your account of a story, other people will question it or offer differing stories and just because none of us were there, we can still have opinions on the incident. For the life of me I don't understand why I'm being attacked for making a simple non combative statement and being supportive of miss riss.

Cecilia,

Well said. If they don't like it then, they can report you to the email address that you posted. They are assuming that know what your role is as mediator. But you very simpliy advised otherwise!

I also agree if you don't want post commented on then don't post. Regardless of what you think of it!!

I am sure the cruise was very scary, however I do not think that NCL made their bad decision intentionally. The rogue wave is very unusual, like the tsunami. I am worried about the unusual weather systems that seem to be popping up. Litagation is the name of the game in the USA. Need a good attorney, call ??????. We are NCL cruisers, just stupid southern folks, and love their freestyle. I have even been on the "nicer cruise lines". Let's just realize that nobody controls the weather, and be glad no one was seriously hurt. I really am sorry that a much anticipated vacation went wrong. Bless you all.

I agree with you. I jump between several boards because I sail with different lines and go to different places. In all boards, the Host takes part in the discussion and even (gasp) offers their own opinion. Sometimes I agree with it and sometimes I don't but each has a right to theirs. And one thing I can tell you about your opinion, no one has to ask twice about where you stand. LOL. Just because I don't agree with an opinion gives me no right to demand it not be made.

And now I'm going to give my opinion on something that some will not agree with. I've seen the statement a couple of times that say, "If you weren't on that ship, you can't know what we went through, period". Say what? That sounds to me like that if I wasn't there, I should offer no opinion and keep my mouth shut. I've been in war. People tried to kill me. But for me to say that unless you were in the same battles as I was, there's no way for you to know what I went through. Many know what I went through and many had it even worse. I was fortunate. I walked away from my battles. Many did not.

I'm not trying to make light of what the people on the Dawn went through. It was very bad and frightening but it was not catastrophic. Everyone walked away and the ship is still sailing. Many ships over the years have gone through similar storms and situations with some even worse. On some of those the ship is no longer sailing and some of the people didn't walk away. No matter how bad of an experience we each have been through, someone has had a similar or worse one. And some of them use these forums and have posted about them on these very boards. For every bad experience I've ever had, someone out there has made the walk with me. I am sorry you that went through this had to do so. I hope each of you find something from the experience that will make you stronger. But, a tornado distroys a town and kills citizens is catastrophic. A plane crashes killing all on board is catastrophic. A ship sinks taking many lives with it is catastrophic. And an incident, no matter how frightening, where everyone walks away has something very good come from it.

I'm sorry if any think I'm mean or uncaring because I am neither. This was not a fun thing for those who were there but it is not as bad as it might have been and others have walked this with you. And even those that haven't walked with you do wish the best for you.

Hey! Scottie the Hottie! Nice to know you are well and posting. How is married life treating you??? You might remember me as LDL... I'm truly glad you are well. Hoping you are happy as well.

All from Dawn: Enormously grateful you are all home and safe. It must have been awful, but intelligent, thoughtful adults realize that there is inherent danger in EVERY mode of transportation, be it skateboard, bicycle, car, plane, ship, the Concord or simply walking across a busy intersection.

To think that you are entitled to "guaranteed" safety is unrealistic. You take a chance each and every time you turn the engine to your car on. Why do you expect the element of risk to be otherwise on a ship, plane, or train? JUST because it isn't "owned" by you?

Did you expect MORE from mere mortals making less than US minimum wage to attend to all of your creature comforts and still have a smile while they, themselves, are in fear as you are? They served you to the best of their ability and still had their own concerns that were back burner to your comfort.

They couldn't reach family who were seeing this on the news, they couldn't relax and let others serve them, they couldn't comfort their own families so they could serve yours.

You whiners may have had a terrible time for ... what? 24 hours at max at the very end of a cruise? Think of the ones who have been away for 6+ months trying to earn a living for their families at YOUR whim!

You should be ashamed with the negative responses to the crew. They are people with fear and family just as you are. Yet, they served to the best of their ability and stamina. Not enough? THINK AGAIN!

Do you even know how many times they may have tried to call home for their family's comfort and couldn't? Do you even realize their sacrifices for your comfort? Crew is probably last on the list for email, phone calls, etc., they are probably on 24 hour stand by for your comfort and consolation. Further, they do this without full information from the bridge. All of you with technical questions and concerns asking crew for details is putting them in "unchartered waters"... they don't know the details of the ship's mechanics. Why would you go to them for answers?

Being at sea in their profession is difficult. They work very hard, for little money, for long hours on a NORMAL cruise. Throw in a wave, and they are exhausted. You may have NEVER known their hours, exhaustion and dedication on a "normal" day. That they stepped up and put themselves and their own families aside for your comfort should be COMMENDED, not ridiculed because they failed to provide a comforting smile one time.

The person in charge, the Captain, I am SURE used all of his fancy equipment and knowledge and experience to cut you the safest path. What? You think he is going to endanger his own life for TIMING? That is a ridiculous assumption. If a port was missed, I would bet all I own that it was for sound reason and not a whim just to screw your trip up.

A "rogue" wave is just that.... "ROGUE"... UNANTICIPATED, IMPOSSIBLE TO PREDICT, and IT APPEARS OUT OF NOWHERE. How can you possibly hold someone responsible for Mother Nature? And how can you expect a crew without your "sopistication" to be prepared for such a thing when they are as tormented as you are? They are trained to a certain level, of course, to deal with tragedy. However, they are STILL people with families and fear, just as you are.

As far as I'm concerned, a 50% rebate PLUS 50% off the next sailing and an open bar is WAY more than generous for a cruise that had (I hear) only a day left. If you had lousy service the whole time, it was up to YOU to make that known and correct your discomfort for the intital part of the voyage.

To come back after a tragedy where ALL suffer (EVEN THE CREW) is selfish and self-serving.

Whiners and Complainers should be ashamed.

ihhk2,

I agree with a lot of your statements. I was concerned about the crew during the rough weather. But even before the wave I spoke to many of them. I found them to be friendly and receptive to conversation. Once I got a sense of who they are and what their lives are like I felt more concerned for them than many others once the wave hit. Many of them were very frightened but appeared calm for passenger's sake. The Indonesians do not show a lot of emotion however they are still capable of feeling fear. I know they appreciated my concern for them. I found a lot of the passengers were complaining about every little thing even before the wave. I just think they are miserable no matter what. Some were acting like spoiled children. It's really an embarrassment.

Guest OBAYbee
... I am allowed my opinion as long as I don't violate the community guidelines (the same rules you follow) and it really bothers me that you want to censor me from giving it.

No offense but you have since rephrased what you said in your original post. The original one is: " No, we weren't all there but if you only want to hear from people who were there, this board might not be the best place." IMO that was insensitive.

Most of all I in no way am trying to censor anyone. I know quite well what it takes to moderate and host which is why I posted my observation here.

I more then most here know all too well what it takes to moderate and host. I don't volunteer but I do work full time for a Cable news network website and numerous network sports sites. I know the job isn't easy and can be trying. But offending or discouraging someone and suggesting that the very board one gives their time to host to may not be for a SPECIFIC chatter isn't what I am used to seeing on interactive websites I am at.

Anyway, I am glad everyone is back safe, Cecilia ease up girl nobody attacked you or tried to censor you. I posted my opinion, and I think by the way you rephrased your post here, that even you may have rethought what you said to Miss.

I am SOOOOO glad to hear that there was compassion for the "servants"! They should have been regarded as in as much discomfort as anyone else and I fear that the passengers failed to see that with all the whining about "bad service" during an uncomfortable time.

Our crew, no matter what line, works hard for low wages. That they should be held to a higher level of servitude in tragedy is dispicable.

Again, YES! They are trained for the unexpected, but they are also JUST like us... on a ship in dire circumstances.... they have fear and families.

Those who discount their service should re-think their positions!

Guest OBAYbee
Cecilia,

They are assuming that know what your role is as mediator. But you very simpliy advised otherwise!

I also agree if you don't want post commented on then don't post. Regardless of what you think of it!!

I didn't assume anything. My experience working for CNN, CNNSI, CNN Airport, CNNenEspanol, NASCAR, and WB as their Lead Event chat host and Special Guest Moderator puts me in a category to know what a moderator does. (you said mediator but of course that isn't the case).

Never assume anything here you never know who you are speaking to. ;)

... I am allowed my opinion as long as I don't violate the community guidelines (the same rules you follow) and it really bothers me that you want to censor me from giving it.

I really had to laugh at this one. It bothers you that you're being censored...yet mine was removed - I presume by you as moderator. Too funny! Guess the shoe is on the other foot now.

No offense but you have since rephrased what you said in your original post. The original one is: " No, we weren't all there but if you only want to hear from people who were there, this board might not be the best place." IMO that was insensitive.

Most of all I in no way am trying to censor anyone. I know quite well what it takes to moderate and host which is why I posted my observation here.

I more then most here know all too well what it takes to moderate and host. I don't volunteer but I do work full time for a Cable news network website and numerous network sports sites. I know the job isn't easy and can be trying. But offending or discouraging someone and suggesting that the very board one gives their time to host to may not be for a SPECIFIC chatter isn't what I am used to seeing on interactive websites I am at.

Anyway, I am glad everyone is back safe, Cecilia ease up girl nobody attacked you or tried to censor you. I posted my opinion, and I think by the way you rephrased your post here, that even you may have rethought what you said to Miss.

My wife and I were planning to go on the Dawn next spring because we live on Long Island and wouldn't have to fly to Florida. For that reason I was very concerned about the nightmare the people last week went through on the Dawn. After reading so many posts on this thread, it sure seems that nobody wants to hear anything one has to say unless they were on last week's cruise. I for one was glad that Cecilia stepped in and spoke,very appropriately,may I add. I read the posts about her and it sure seemed like an attack to me. These threads are for all people to voice their feelings,experiences and their opinions.

I too, am so happy everyone came home safe:)

I didn't assume anything. My experience working for CNN, CNNSI, CNN Airport, CNNenEspanol, NASCAR, and WB as their Lead Event chat host and Special Guest Moderator puts me in a category to know what a moderator does. (you said mediator but of course that isn't the case).

Well, now we do, and it sure explain a lot.:rolleyes:

While it's unfortunate that this happened, at least everyone is safe. Everybody has their account of what happened, and somewhere in all of this is what really happened.

So why is your's the version we are supposed to believe?

If I were you, I'd suck it up and be thankful your alive. I wasn't there, and I didn't experience what you did, but boy, if I was, like I said, I'd suck it up and be glad I was alive and worse didn't happen.

<<THIS is the real version of how we were treated... and anyone reading this should know the truth...>>

Who are you and where did you come from? RCCL?

Is everyone going to post their resume now?

Thought this was a cruise board??????

Well, now we do, and it sure explain a lot.:rolleyes:

Good one! Thanks for the laugh. Need to lighten up this board! :rolleyes:

Well, there are opinions, and then there are "Opinions!" -- the latter being purposely confrontational, intentionally controversial, or dramatically opinionated. Most readers are easily able to detect the difference (references to "KoolAid involved" is a tip-off), and don't appreciate such showboating.

Did I just express an opinion? I believe I did!

All I said was that I was disappointed and people get all crazy. Why? People can't be disappointed?

I agree and the regulars on this board have always benefited from your comments, experience and advice.

Keep up the good work!

hello - as my name might suggest, i have been using all of your insightful posting for a year or so. it also helped me choose the dawn for my second ever cruise and my grilfriends first. but lets set the record straight -

the treatment by the crew was lousy all week. it started with the 'change' in our itenarary. we lost one bahama day and by going to their private island (which packed you in like sardines on a dirty beach) and then going to miami, we lost the entire thursday morning ' going thru customs'. they annonounced that we MUST get off the ship at 730 am and go thru customs. me, i get off because they said so. 730 am... off the ship... only to wait while other passengers waited until 1130 to exit. the dawn's crew kept open the stores, kept serving food, catering to these non compliers, while i sat on a curb in a parking lot. then when they allowed back in the terminal, ncl stacked us like cattle for an hour and a half... to top that off, the people who just happened to stroll in an hour later, were allowed to get back on before us waiting in the roped lines. i thought there was going to be a riot when this occurred. so i was unhappy with that fiasco.

now - the rough seas... my problem is that they knew the storm was there and went right into it, placing us all in danger!!! the staff laughed at a woman who was expressing concern long before 'the wave' hit. told her she was foolish and to 'relax'... i also was able to meet a navy vetran who told me he read the weather and we should all brace for the night ahead. (he was right) in seeing him after the incident, he claimed the captain was traveling to slow for the stablizers (?) to kick in and almost rolled the ship several times. it took someone from the ship to call the coast guard, to get their attention. i now understand their is an investigation into the incident.

we waited in a very long line again, when told we could meet with a company rep on getting back. due to work, both my girlfirend and i could not - could not - be delayed and arrive back a day late. when we had to meet with the company reps, all of a sudden they were american males who spoke perfect english. never saw so many english speaking staff for the whole week!!! i told of my necessity to get back and was met with indifference. this at 1pm. he told me that they would be assembling a bus trip or train for people who must get back by sunday. he said go to my cabin and he would call with the info. hearing nothing by 530pm i called 'ruth' who gave me standard, 'not sure yet... anything else i can do you for?' sure she was pleasant, but provided NO answers or solutions what so ever. finally, since we were sitting in port in sc, i took matters into my own hands, and packed my luggage and responded to the 4th floor in an effort to exit the ship. i waited there with many others who were not pleased at all. we then got to the airport and rented a car and drove the 12 plus hours back to ny. i did this on my own, with my own money. (i will be sending in receipts)

to all of you who are here posting ' the crew was great', 'is this such a big deal?' , 'we are sheltered americans', all need to get a grip on reality. your views are either due to your clouded kool aid drinking cruise-a-holic rose colored glasses or you are employees of ncl. you are NOT giving factual accounts of what went on. THIS is the real version of how we were treated... and anyone reading this should know the truth... i have nothing to gain by putting it here and i am not some disgruntled person hell bent on revenge. i actually took the whole incident well, and have been receiving comments all day at work at how calm and forgiving i am about the whole thing. but i had to place this reply to all the hogwash i see here.

my point is that the crew were not some miracle workers, so attentive, and caring and all the other blah blah blah i have read here... i am waiting to hear ' oh the crew actually pees the cure to cancer they are so magical'

they gave all fluff sweet talk with no real solutions... i can get that from any tgif waiter if i want smoke blown up my ****

while i realize they could not help the weather, i base my opinion on how they handled the mess it left. that is all we can really assess, true?

Gee everyone who had a great time on the Dawn and said nice things about the crew..are viewing things through" clouded kool aid drinking cruise-a-holic rose colored glasses or you are employees" BUT YOU!!!! are the only one who's telling the truth!!! tells me something about some of the people who cruise. I thought this site was pretty cool and when I first joined found a lot of usefull info in here..but since then I am finding out that not to be true... I think this site should be used for what it was intended to be used for..th help others learn all about cruising and get info about the differnt cruise lines and shore excursions....I am NOT defending the cruise lines, what I am defending is our fellow cruise passengers. I don't think that bashing fellow passengers is very cool and spewing all the hatefullness and calling people names is what this is all about, having said this I will not take part in any other post on here and leave this site and will try and find another site to join. I just hope that I never find myself on the same ship with people like some of the ones on here who have so much hatered..so they will not ruin my trips... GOODBYE!!!!!:mad: :p :(