Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

firsttimelongtime

dawn - the true account

Why do you think all responses are from NCL? Couldn't it be that they are from actual cruisers? Wow! Very ignorant!

To clear all of this up:

Thank you to those of you that don't mind that I have opinions and sometimes they don't always agree with everyone. I appreciate your patience with me as I spend time here on the board just like you do.

OBAYbee you wrote:

No offense but you have since rephrased what you said in your original post. The original one is: " No, we weren't all there but if you only want to hear from people who were there, this board might not be the best place." IMO that was insensitive.
You misunderstood my tone. I was trying to let miss riss know that our board might not be the best place for her to find others that were on her cruise because we have all kinds of members that weren't on her cruise. I was in no way telling her to leave our boards or that she wasn't welcome. My tone, when I wrote what I wrote, was genuine in hopes of her not getting her feelings hurt becaue of all the people questioning the events on the Dawn. Obviously that didn't come across and caused much strife.

TravelWarrior...your post was removed because you used profanity and it was reported. That is against community guidelines.

Miss riss or anyone else that was offended by my posts...I am sorry. That was not my intention. It makes no sense for me to purposefully anger board members when I volunteer to be here every day. I do stand by my right to post just like all of you. I have opinions and I share them. People don't always agree with me but you don't have to agree with me. And if you want to speak against my opinion, please do. Just because I moderate the board for violations doesnt mean that I can't engege in a discussion like everyone else. And again...I'm sorry for the trouble. I've said all along that I'm happy that everyone made it home safe and sound and hope some good memories from the trip can be salvaged.

I was watching the news after my sister called about the wave. My Husband walked into the room as a passenger who was not on the flooded decks was telling how scared and tramatized he was. Without knowing what the story was, my Husband said, "sounds like he's gearing up for a pain and suffering suit"! In the chance of getting flamed, what difference does it make exactly what the Captian announced if you are home safe and sound and healthy if your not planning on suing. With all due respect all your family is home (best friend lost her husband last Oct. on the Mariner cruise to a heart attack). Her and her family were tramatized thier life will never be the same. Is yours any different then before you went on the cruise? Have you deceided where you will go with the money you are expecting to make off this. I am glad you are all safe and God willing will enjoy another vacation and your family. Mimi you don't have a warped sense of humor I think you know your blessed.

It always amazes me that two people can be on the same ship and as you read wonder if they were in the same ocean let alone ship.

Guest OBAYbee

I want to apologize to anyone who took what I said so personally. I in no way meant to cause trouble here.

To everyone here that was offended, please accept my apology.

I emailed Celilia myself apologizing if it seemed I was attacking her.

In this email I explained my position and told her that as hosts we should stand together. She feels saying so in an email off the board was intentional.

It wasn't I only wanted to put out the fire I seemed to have started and get this thread back on topic.

No this is not a resume. In order for people to understand my position and remarks I felt compelled to address the fact that I was no stranger to online interactive communities.

I hope those of you that know me from the RCCL board took my comments as they were intended.

Welcome home DAWN passengers. (That is what I came here to say tonight and it got lost somewhere)

Night everyone.

I want to apologize to anyone who took what I said so personally. I in no way meant to cause trouble here.

To everyone here that was offended, please accept my apology.

I emailed Celilia myself apologizing if it seemed I was attacking her.

In this email I explained my position and told her that as hosts we should stand together. She feels saying so in an email off the board was intentional.

It wasn't I only wanted to put out the fire I seemed to have started and get this thread back on topic.

No this is not a resume. In order for people to understand my position and remarks I felt compelled to address the fact that I was no stranger to online interactive communities.

I hope those of you that know me from the RCCL board took my comments as they were intended.

Welcome home DAWN passengers. (That is what I came here to say tonight and it got lost somewhere)

Night everyone.

An apology on the boards is more appropriate...that's where the attack was! Considering your background....I believe you should know this!

How can you get a topic back on track in a private email?????

From experience, I believe that Cecelia stands together with no one (hosts or otherwise)...she is her own person and posts what she believes/thinks....which is why I admire her.

Apology accepted.

I had to respond to your post, it has been eating at me most of the night. It was Presumptuous of you to call it "The True Account" It is "Your Account" of what happened (which you are completely entitled to post).

Essentially what you did was call the rest of the people ( including me ) WHO WERE ON THAT SHIP LIARS about any thing we all had to say.

What is sad is the press were right "negative stories" sell because you had 3 time as many hits and replies as any other posts about the cruise and too many people then came away with negative thoughts about cruising and NCL.

This not my style but I had to get it off my chest

The 'stabilizer' item is very interesting! Did the captain (or anyone) indicate why the stabilizers were retracted when they were most needed?

Generally Stabilizers will pull the bow of the ship further down into the water during rough seas. If the bow of a boat/ship is pulled down too far into the trough of a wave the wave tends to break over the bow and create water issues inside the vessel (i.e. it floods the boat)

For anyone who wants to read a true account by someone actually in one of the affected cabins I suggest reading the thread

"Mimi - can you post deatialed wave account" - It makes interesting reading after some of the other accounts.

For anyone who wants to read a true account by someone actually in one of the affected cabins I suggest reading the thread

"Mimi - can you post deatialed wave account" - It makes interesting reading after some of the other accounts.

Not to mention the fact that Mimi is just 1 cool lady :)

Not to mention the fact that Mimi is just 1 cool lady :)

VERY cool!!!!!!!!

I'd sail with her and her husband any day...what a class act!!! :D

To clear all of this up: ...

TravelWarrior...your post was removed because you used profanity and it was reported. That is against community guidelines.

The profanity you referred to was a direct quote from another poster's message and used by me to show how nasty some of the people on this board are toward others who don't share their opinion. You could have deleted that one sentence without removing the whole posting. I think it's funny there's a rule to protect posters from profanity, but there's no holds barred on rudeness, ugliness, name calling and prejudice. I hope children don't read this board. And not because of any profanity.

I was wondering about what the stabilizers look like coming out from the boat. Maybe if we knew why it wasn't used (if it would have even helped), that would help people feel better for future cruises. Even before the Dawn incident happened, I also wondered about stabilizers. Any info. anyone?

Excellent, sincere and heartfelt review. Thank you for sharing your experience. I applaud your candor.

We were on the Dawn twice and have the very best cruise memories.

Enjoy your Day.

Hi, guys,

I am glad everything is ok. I saw your cabin after the wave and could not believe that just a couple of nights before I was sitting there with the two of you drinking coffee.

Joanne

The profanity you referred to was a direct quote from another poster's message and used by me to show how nasty some of the people on this board are toward others who don't share their opinion.
Yes and the original post you quoted was removed then later the swear word was taken out and the post restored after the author of that post asked me to do that for her.
You could have deleted that one sentence without removing the whole posting.
I can only edit your post in this situation if you ask me to. Would you like me to do that and restore the post? E mailing me and asking about your post would have accomplished this with a lot less trouble.
I think it's funny there's a rule to protect posters from profanity, but there's no holds barred on rudeness, ugliness, name calling and prejudice. I hope children don't read this board. And not because of any profanity.
If you feel that anything is inapropriate, you should report it. Members often complain about posts being removed so unless something blatantly breaks the rules, I don't move things. In the case of your post, someone reported it.

E mailing me and asking about your post would have accomplished this with a lot less trouble.

I don't get it. But please, don't go to any trouble explaining it. I'm sure as I keep perusing the board I'll figure it out. Thanks for your reply.

...My experience working for CNN, CNNSI, CNN Airport, CNNenEspanol, NASCAR, and WB as their Lead Event chat host and Special Guest Moderator...

Never assume anything here you never know who you are speaking to. ;)

If you really have all this experience then you should know it is "whom".

I was wondering about what the stabilizers look like coming out from the boat. Maybe if we knew why it wasn't used (if it would have even helped), that would help people feel better for future cruises. Even before the Dawn incident happened, I also wondered about stabilizers. Any info. anyone?

As I former officer and engineer in the US Navy, I believe I can answer the following question -

How do ship stabilizers work?

Ship stabilizers work like airplane wings – they provide lift. Let me try and explain without the help of a chalkboard.

* Lift

* ^

* |

* |

* | |

* | |

* | | Hull

* | Stabilizer |

* |================|

* |

* |

In the above picture, let’s say the ship is rolling counter-clockwise. The stabilizer will generate lift and attempt to roll the ship clockwise. Therefore, both forces should cancel out, and no roll.

That’s the easy part to understand. The hard part is what happens when the ship is rolling clockwise. Since the amount of lift from the stabilizer would amplify the roll, the entire stabilizer is rotated in such a way that it does not amplify the roll. Once the ship starts rolling the other, the stabilizer rotate back so that it counteracts the rolling motion.

Keep in mind that there is also a stabilizer on the other side of the ship doing the same job. Also keep in mind that just like an airplane wing, water flow is needed to provide lift. If the ship can not go fast enough, the stabilizers will not generate enough lift to be of use. So the Captain of the Dawn may not have had enough head-away to use the stabilizers, or they may have been malfunctioning.

What I believe gemsm is referring to is trim tabs, often found on smaller power boats. These tabs are used to raise or lower the bow so that the boat can reach plane faster.

Ok, class dismissed!

John

jm3156

Thanks for the good thoughts. I only went back to the cabin for a couple minutes after we got out that morning. really didn't bother looking around to much but what I did see wasn't pretty.

We really enjoyed visiting with you too. Hopefully we'll meet again on another cruise and be able to spend more time together.

If you really have all this experience then you should know it is "whom".

T Rex is correct, and it's nice to know that someone is paying attention to the English language. However, OBAYbee's posting was easily understood, in contrast to some postings which are all but impossible to decipher.