Stolen Birth Certificates

carnivaljunkie

I just got a call from my son in law. They had a break in a couple of months ago and just realized that the document safe with passports and birth certs is missing. We have a family cruise leaving tomorrow February 19. My daughter and son in law have adequate identification, birth certs and photo ID, but the two kids, ages 3 and 5 have no official documents. All are past Carnival cruisers. I told son in law to contact Carnival and ask if there was a solution.

Does anyone have similar history or suggestions?

I wold be very surprised if Carnival will let them on without the birth certificates. Is the 5 yo in school? If so, perhaps calling someone they know at the school and open it up to get a copy of the birth certificate that you need when registering for school. Do they have copies of documents from previous cruises? I always copy our ID info and put it in each "cruise folder" with boarding passes, etc. for each cruise. Then I just move all the copies to the new cruise folder after we book again.

I'm really sorry that this has happened, I'm afraid that they may be out of luck unless someone has duplicate copies somewhere (friend, family????)

There may be a way to get a duplicate copy from that place that expedites but I don't have that website.......maybe someone else does....

Good luck..........

If you have a TA call them - they can take care of all this for you.

Carnival recommends you call ZVS. They are available 12 hrs a day. If your son in law had realized this yesterday, they could have gone to the Passport Agency, but they are only open M-F.

CRUISE TRAVEL

U.S. Citizens

Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin & end in the same U.S. port, travelling with a passport enhances your disembarkation experience, as delays may be expected upon your return to the U.S. if you do not have one. Additionally, passports make it easier for you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

Valid U.S. Passport

Passport Card

Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the department of vital statistics)

Certificate of Naturalization

Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

Enhanced Tribal Card

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

Note: Enhanced Driver's Licenses can be used as proof of citizenship at land and sea ports of entry. However, it cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States.

There are currently four U.S. states and four Canadian provinces producing EDLs:

Michigan

New York

Vermont

Washington

British Columbia

Manitoba

Ontario

Quebec

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over. For a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents Click Here

*If you need to obtain a passport quickly, Carnival recommends that you contact ZVS at http://www.zvs.com/carnival or by phone: 1-866-788-1100. Callers should mention that they are sailing on Carnival to receive discounted service fees.

Important: Baptismal and Hospital Certificates, copies of U.S. Passports and Naturalization papers, are not WHTI compliant documents, therefore, NOT acceptable.

I'm really sorry that this has happened, I'm afraid that they may be out of luck unless someone has duplicate copies somewhere (friend, family????)

There may be a way to get a duplicate copy from that place that expedites but I don't have that website.......maybe someone else does....

Good luck..........

Most states have a web site where you can get a certified copy of your birth certificate. The only problem is it takes a minimum of 24 hours to get it. Their best bet is to order a expidited copy from the internet and make plans to fly to the first stop.

The local health department can get you an official birth cert. I just had to get copies for all of my children when we applied for our passports a few weeks ago. You fill out a form, and the birth cert is in your hands in 15 minutes or so. It will cost you $15 per certificate.

Best to find out the local/state policies in this matter. OP may not live in your state.

The local health department can get you an official birth cert. I just had to get copies for all of my children when we applied for our passports a few weeks ago. You fill out a form, and the birth cert is in your hands in 15 minutes or so. It will cost you $15 per certificate.

Most of these offices are closed on the weekends, though. OP is definitely in a pickle.

I think what is going to have to happen is SIL flies with the kids to meet the ship at the first port. Hopefully they have trip insurance...

(personally, I never been able to get a birth certificate the same day.. That sounds like something exceptional. Good for Missouri for providing that service)

This is one case where some strings need to be pulled since it is the weekend.

First I would call Carnival and get some directions on what is needed in this case.

Then depending on what Carnival says, I would try to get in touch with your state senator or congressman to see if they can pull some strings for you.

Good luck.

OP

While everyone has given you wonderful suggestions, unfortunately none of them are going to work, because it is a Saturday on a holiday weekend. The best case they can hope for is to get something by Tuesday night of next week. Very few, if any state agencies are open on weekends or Federal holidays.

That may be true in MO, but it is not the situation in most states. All records are kept at the state level and unless you live in the capital and can go down and wait on them it takes much longer than that.

Check with the hosptial where the children were born, call the principal- find his homenumber and see i f he can go to the school and get it for you. Played any sports soccer teams and such need copes of birth certificates, contact them. Think about anyone thatyou have ever had to give a birth certificate to through the years.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. They are looking into anywhere they may have needed a birth cert in the past. Unfortunately, at three and five years old there are not to many places. Ironically, Carnival has seen the birth certs on the last two cruises and aparently has no wiggle room in their policy. It is only a six day cruise and getting official certs on Tuesday and catching the ship on Wednesday is not worth it. I suggested that they go down to Fort Lauderdale anyway and try in person. At least the flight money wont be wasted and they can stay in Florida for six days and fly home. Florida vs Michigan. That solution will disapoint us all but is better than staying home.

I believe the birth certificates need to be certified copies.. In my experience with schools and sports ,etc, you only need to provide a copy machine copy. S that probably won't work either.

Maybe a quick run to Disney World instead?

What a bummer-- so sorry you are having to deal with this!!

Wow, that's a horrible situation. :( I hope they have trip insurance.

Would trip insurance even cover something like this? The only insurance that would cover it would be cancel for any reason. Anything else probably isn't going to cover something like this.

Archived