tipping the butler

mherms

Depends on how much he does for you. We really used ours alot (he was fabulous) and we gave him $100 (very well deserved) and the concierge $100 (she did tons for us too). I don't know if that's on the high side or low side, but I was hoping it was on the high side. If we only used the butler occasionally, I think I would have left him $20.

January 4th NCL Dawn

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2003;1;4;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

You may receive a range of answers from other cruisers since NCL doesn't publish any guidelines for the butler. It also depends on how much you use his services. Celebrity Cruise Lines publishes a suggestion of about $3.50 per day per passenger, which comes to about $50 a week for two people. You might consider that a median and tip more or less as the situation seems to warrant.

He's the person who takes care of your room service orders in a penthouse, by the way, so you'll probably use his help for that, at least.

Enjoy the Dawn; it's a lovely ship and the staff are wonderful.

Carol Louise

thanks for the butler info -one more quick question...category AC penthouse suite deck 9 -does the cruise line put flowers in the staterooms? I don't want friends to load them up with flowers if the cruiseline puts any

arrangement at all.

Our butler on the Dawn did alot for us so we tipped her $200- room service breakfast for our family of four every morning (always got it right), room service dinners (good meals from the dining room) for our children twice so they could get to Kid's Club , room service late snacks when the kids came back from Kid's Club about four nights and made all dinner reservations for us. She also brought many goodies to our suite for laste afternoon snacks. Plus, she was just a wonderful, friendly person who made our cruise very enjoyable. We saw her constantly and she worked very hard.

But then tipped the concierge very little (maybe $30...I don't remember) because I think the letters and all of what she provides is her job and I'm sure she gets a decent salary. Also, the people in the mini-suites use the concierge's services so if all of those people tip her, I'm ready for a job change!!!

Bobbie

Days until our next cruise - Diamond Princess - April 23, 2005 !!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2005;4;23;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Cruises so far:

Norwegian Dawn - April 2004

Norwegian Dawn - April 2003

Archived