mygrace777

solo transfers

I didnt realize that going solo (my first time) would be a challenge for transfers. I was going to fly into MIA but heard the taxi from just the airport to the pier was 24 dollars per cab. If Im solo thats a lot for a cab that short of a distance.

Then I thought about flying into FLL and cant find a way to transfer to the pier from there...cheap/reasonable.

What do you solo cruisers do for transfers?

I didnt realize that going solo (my first time) would be a challenge for transfers. I was going to fly into MIA but heard the taxi from just the airport to the pier was 24 dollars per cab. If Im solo thats a lot for a cab that short of a distance.

Then I thought about flying into FLL and cant find a way to transfer to the pier from there...cheap/reasonable.

If you are flying into MIA the same day as your cruise, your best bet is to take a cab to the pier. If, however, you staying in Miami overnight, you can take the blue Super Shuttle van to your hotel, and then a cab to the pier the next day. The cab fare should be around $10 from the downtown area.

I have never done FLL to the Port of Miami, but I've read on CC of a company called SAS Transportation that offers that service.

Luis

I travel light and use public transportation as much as possible.

As mentioned above, Supershuttle is an option in Miami if you're willing to share. I've used SAS from Fort Lauderdale to the Port of Miami and they are a good service. If you need transport back to Miami aiport from the pier, you can always ask those around you in line for a taxi if they'd like to share with you.

The Florida forum is a good source of information regarding inexpensive transfers.

If you're flying in the day of the cruise, have you looked into the cruise line's transfers from the airport to the pier?

Roz

I usually use cruise line transfers if they are available. Probably not the cheapest option, but it seems to be the least hassle.

Hi, you are flying into Miami and sailing from Miam? Trying to get

the scenerio.....for me, if I am flying into Miami, I just grab a cab.

Now, if I am flying into FLL and sailing from from Miami? I use

SAS as the previous posterr mentioned. It is less $, it is a shared

ride. I used them in January.....15.00 from FLL to the port of Miami.

I gave the driver a 20.00 and told him to keep the change;)

I have been sailing solo for 9 years now...how I decide to get

to the ship just depends on my itinerary and what I feel like doing.

Sometimes I arrive a day early....grab a cab to my hotel and then

again to the ship the next day...transportation is factored into my

trip.:)

mygrace777, When I am flying in and out of Miami for a cruise I usually just grab a cab if I am flying in same day. It will run between $20 and $25 for the cab fare to and from the port. Most of the cruise lines transfer will cost you around $20. For the extra $5 I prefer having a cab to myself rather than waiting for a bus to fill up for the port. If I am flying in the day before I look for a hotel that has transfers to and from the airport and to and from the cruise ports. Then all you have are the tips for the driver each day. It is about a 15 to 20 minute ride from the airport to the port depending on traffic.

Hi, you are flying into Miami and sailing from Miam? Trying to get

the scenerio.....for me, if I am flying into Miami, I just grab a cab.

Now, if I am flying into FLL and sailing from from Miami? I use

SAS as the previous posterr mentioned. It is less $, it is a shared

ride. I used them in January.....15.00 from FLL to the port of Miami.

I gave the driver a 20.00 and told him to keep the change;)

I have been sailing solo for 9 years now...how I decide to get

to the ship just depends on my itinerary and what I feel like doing.

Sometimes I arrive a day early....grab a cab to my hotel and then

again to the ship the next day...transportation is factored into my

trip.:)

Hi LoisR,

You sound like the right person to help me out. A friend of mine (recently divorced was talking about taking a cruise!) I immediately thought that it would be an excellant idea....and I really encouraged the Oasis because we really enjoyed ourselves this past NYE onboard this ship. (My friend loves shows and entertainment!),,SOOOOOO, questions.

Should she reserve with a singles cruise company....they are offering an over 40's cruise on the Oasis at the end of April or should she reserve on her own? She is very conscience of what everything will cost. She does not know if she should take an inside cabin on her own or be teamed up with another single. THoughts if what you have done in the past? Regarding airfare, she doesn't know it yet, but I plan on using my point to pay for her flights. The only problem being, that she has to fly into MIAMI late at night. What safe transportation would you recommend her to take to a hotel in FLL for one overnight stay?From the hotel (that I recommended she stay at in FLL), there is a free shuttle to the pier. On her return flight, I will recommend that she takes a cab to FLL as I know it is quick and inexpensive. Any insight or advice is very much appreciated. Thank you

Hi LoisR,

You sound like the right person to help me out. A friend of mine (recently divorced was talking about taking a cruise!) I immediately thought that it would be an excellant idea....and I really encouraged the Oasis because we really enjoyed ourselves this past NYE onboard this ship. (My friend loves shows and entertainment!),,SOOOOOO, questions.

Should she reserve with a singles cruise company....they are offering an over 40's cruise on the Oasis at the end of April or should she reserve on her own? She is very conscience of what everything will cost. She does not know if she should take an inside cabin on her own or be teamed up with another single. THoughts if what you have done in the past? Regarding airfare, she doesn't know it yet, but I plan on using my point to pay for her flights. The only problem being, that she has to fly into MIAMI late at night. What safe transportation would you recommend her to take to a hotel in FLL for one overnight stay?From the hotel (that I recommended she stay at in FLL), there is a free shuttle to the pier. On her return flight, I will recommend that she takes a cab to FLL as I know it is quick and inexpensive. Any insight or advice is very much appreciated. Thank you

Hi Pam:)

I can only tell you how I do things......First, I book on my own,

usually directly through the cruiseline. Many people use TA's

but I prefer having control over my own booking. A Single's

cruise company? Not for me either. I sail solo, but meeting

other singles in not "in my plan". ...I meet people quite easily.

I don't care if they are single, divorced, married, partners, etc.

I love cruising solo......it is the only way I cruise.

I will suggest she check the roll call forum.....it is a very nice way

to meet other people who are on the same cruise:)

Cabin catergories do vary in price. I have done insides, windows

and balconies. Usually insides are the most inexpensive but there

are times you can find good deals on other cabins.

I enjoy doing my own research (and this site is great as well;)).

Sharing a cabin? Nope, that is definitely not for me. I have lived

on my own for almost my entire adult life and I value my own space

too much to give it up. I don't share the clicker here at home so

sharing a cabin? Nope, no thank you.

Flying into Miami? And need transportation up to FLL?? It is about

a 40 minute ride.....she is arriving late? Personally? I would use

a car service....Try Quality Limo.

I never worry about shuttles to the ship, there are tons and tons

of hotels in FLL near the port....grab a cab.

We are all on budgets, to some extent or another.....just depends

on how much and what we choose to spend our money on.......

everyone has different priorities.

Hope this helps a bit:)

Thank you Lois! You have been very helpful! My friend is an easy going, talkative person and I was discouraging her from using the single cruiser route. She just wants to go and have fun and meet other people. I think cruising will suit the bill just fine. Thank you!

I usually spend one night before the cruise at a hotel that provides airport pick-up and also will take you to the port. I stayed at a Best Western in Ft.Lauderdale before cruising out the next day and it was very convenient. The hotel shuttle also took me to a restaurant and shopping center across the highway. Otherwise, would check with the big transport bus at the airport if you are not spending the night. The FLL Airport is not that far from the port. Some transp. co's offer "Share a Van" as well which cuts down on the costs. Good luck!

I usually spend one night before the cruise at a hotel that provides airport pick-up and also will take you to the port. I stayed at a Best Western in Ft.Lauderdale before cruising out the next day and it was very convenient. The hotel shuttle also took me to a restaurant and shopping center across the highway. Otherwise, would check with the big transport bus at the airport if you are not spending the night. The FLL Airport is not that far from the port. Some transp. co's offer "Share a Van" as well which cuts down on the costs. Good luck!

I'm doing a cruiseline fly-cruise as I got a mega good deal on it (basically flights didn't cost a penny from the UK!!) as such transfers included.

I've found pre-cruise hotel, and transfer from hotel to be my second viable option if I hadn't managed to get the deal!

I like to fly in the night before so I can be on the boat early. I usually stay at an inexpensive little hotel like the Runway Inn Miami Airport and they have a free airport and cruise port shuttle so I don't have to pay for that. I find that the flight is usually cheaper when you don't have to arrive by 1pm so I am usually able to book the flight and cheap hotel through expedia for less than a flight the next morning would be. It also leaves me free to pick up a bottle of wine and a 12 pack of soda to take on the ship with me the next morning. I don't know which cruise line you are on but Carnival lets you bring 1 750ml bottle of wine and 1 12-pack of water or soda onto the boat in a carryon.

When sailing from the US, I normally have to arrive a day early from Europe in order to make sure that I don't miss a sail time, From Miami, I stay at La Quinta North which has both a free shuttle service from the airport and a free shuttle to the cruise terminal. Figure along with free breakfast and WiFi it is not a bad deal. I am sure that other hotels near the airport/downtown may well have the same service offered.

(FYI - RCI does not let you bring alcohol on board. Don't think NCL does either which makes sense, one of the ways they make a profit is on selling drinks.....)

Edited by Proseknitic

When sailing from the US, I normally have to arrive a day early from Europe in order to make sure that I don't miss a sail time, From Miami, I stay at La Quinta North which has both a free shuttle service from the airport and a free shuttle to the cruise terminal. Figure along with free breakfast and WiFi it is not a bad deal. I am sure that other hotels near the airport/downtown may well have the same service offered.

(FYI - RCI does not let you bring alcohol on board. Don't think NCL does either which makes sense, one of the ways they make a profit is on selling drinks.....)

NCL allow alcohol if you pay a corkage fee.. about half the cost of buying a bottle onboard!!