You Can't Please Some People

Warm Breezes

Because some day, when I feel like slimming it I may go for that cheap product you all so adore and book a carnival cruise. NOT!

Wow... you really think the Carnival food is that bad? Amazing how after this post you have disappeared... Hmmmm

We have dear friends who are Loyal Royals also. They too had a very biased opinion of Carnival, based solely on hear say of other Royals. After they had "the discussion" with us, and realized that oh, probably 95% of what they heard wasn't true, they have changed their attitudes. Now granted, they won't sail Carnival, but neither too will we sail Royal, lol. Sorry, not paying my hard earned money for a room the size of a closet and crap I'll never use like surfing or rock climbing. To each his own. :D

But you've got your own mis-informed opinions on RCI. The room sizes on RCI and Carnival are almost identical in many cases. Lets take the Explorer class for example. A Deluxe Ocean View Cabin with Balcony Category (E1 and E2) is 220 square feet. Comparing a similar ship on Carnival, say the Liberty class ships and a balcony cabin is. . . . . . 220 square feet.

Everything else you said is true, if the amenities don't suit you, then you don't go.

I'll openly admit the RCI is our favourite line but we've been unable to cruise the larger ships because the price is too high so we go on other lines. I think this is RCI's biggest problem in truth but if its out of line with what they should be pricing, the market will eventually bring them down.

Any cruise is a good cruise (unless something unforseen happens). I research and choose the most value for the money, going where I want to go, regardless of the cruiseline. Now if only my DH enjoyed going as much as I do.....living 40 miles south of Tampa, I would go 6-7 times a year!!

Well, I am one who feels the lines are more alike than different. I will say we did NOT like the food in the MD on our RC cruise. In fact I lost weight on that cruise... lol. DH hated the fact that he could not get iced tea on RC after 9pm unless we ordered it from room service. We DID enjoy getting a hot breakfast in the morning instead of a cold one like we do on Carnival. We did like our cabin. I loved having a shower door and not a curtain on RC, but the space in the shower is about the same on both.

I can't say we will cruise RC again. My DH says no... but if the price is right and the itinerary is one we are looking for, we might.

Because some day, when I feel like slimming it I may go for that cheap product you all so adore and book a carnival cruise. NOT! I come here to post my opinion, just like the rest of you do.

"slimming" are we talking weight issues now?:confused::rolleyes:;)

And most people, myself included, that have sailed both lines KNOW that Royal IS superior! There is a reason for the saying...... You get what you pay for. It's true, carnival is cheap and you get a cheap experience!

Okay - I have sailed both and no - I don't believe Royal is superior. I think they are about the same with Carnival being my preference. Different strokes for different folks.

Okay - I have sailed both and no - I don't believe Royal is superior. I think they are about the same with Carnival being my preference. Different strokes for different folks.

ilionite65, won't be having none of that. You/us having an opinion different than theirs.:rolleyes:

But you've got your own mis-informed opinions on RCI. The room sizes on RCI and Carnival are almost identical in many cases. Lets take the Explorer class for example. A Deluxe Ocean View Cabin with Balcony Category (E1 and E2) is 220 square feet. Comparing a similar ship on Carnival, say the Liberty class ships and a balcony cabin is. . . . . . 220 square feet.

Everything else you said is true, if the amenities don't suit you, then you don't go.

I'll openly admit the RCI is our favourite line but we've been unable to cruise the larger ships because the price is too high so we go on other lines. I think this is RCI's biggest problem in truth but if its out of line with what they should be pricing, the market will eventually bring them down.

Right, but the rub is the price difference. I compared the Freedom of the Seas because that's what was offered to us. THEIR inside room (163sq ft) was the same price as an OV on a comparable Carnival cruise during the same time. That was my point. I am not paying extra for smaller space. Now, if the inside Freedom cruise was LESS than a comparable Carnival cruise, inside or otherwise, I might try it. But I am not going to pay MORE for less space and things I'll never use. That makes no sense in my "not even an MBA" mind.

And most people, myself included, that have sailed both lines KNOW that Royal IS superior! There is a reason for the saying...... You get what you pay for. It's true, carnival is cheap and you get a cheap experience!

Wow thats not true.

We have been on both lines and do not find rccl to be superior at all.

I just got off the phone with DH who spent all day listening to his co-worker complain all day about the Carnival Glory. He said it's been a long a day. Remember this guy is not new to cruising (Loyal Royal), just new to Carnival. The complaints included:

1. He order prime rib. He did like it that it had gravy on it instead of au jus. He asked for them to take it back and get him au jus. They said they didn't have it...He went and complained to customer service that they did not have au jus for his prime rib.

2. He booked a room (at a discounted rate) by where the anchors are. He complained about the noise waking him up. He went to customer service wanting to get his room upgraded or get an OBC. They did not give him one since he had already booked the room at a discounted rate.

3. He could not find any hot food at the buffet for breakfast. DH asked if he went to one of the omelet stations as that is where we always got hot, made to order, breakfast. He said the line was too long and he would have to wait hours. DH asked if he checked all the lines since there was always more than one we were on it July... He only was aware of one line.

4. He only gained 1 pound on this cruise and he normally gains 8-10.

5. The beds were horrible and they couldn't get any sleep.

DH and I were on the Glory in July. We had a great time (just a few rude passengers, but that isn't Carnival's fault). We were always able to get hot fresh food from the omelet station (burrito bar during the day). We slept like babies even with the fog horn going off (we had a balcony room on a Canada Cruise). DH loved the prime rib with the gravy and didn't even care that there was no au jus. DH kept telling him what a great time we had on the same ship and he kept telling DH that Carnival should give him a free cruise and he was going to write a letter and complain about what a horrible cruise he had. I don't know about you...but I don't think he has much to complain about :rolleyes:. I sure pity his wife, the people who went with him, the crew, DH, etc...

I just got off the phone with DH who spent all day listening to his co-worker complain all day about the Carnival Glory. He said it's been a long a day. Remember this guy is not new to cruising (Loyal Royal), just new to Carnival. The complaints included:

1. He order prime rib. He did like it that it had gravy on it instead of au jus. He asked for them to take it back and get him au jus. They said they didn't have it...He went and complained to customer service that they did not have au jus for his prime rib.

2. He booked a room (at a discounted rate) by where the anchors are. He complained about the noise waking him up. He went to customer service wanting to get his room upgraded or get an OBC. They did not give him one since he had already booked the room at a discounted rate.

3. He could not find any hot food at the buffet for breakfast. DH asked if he went to one of the omelet stations as that is where we always got hot, made to order, breakfast. He said the line was too long and he would have to wait hours. DH asked if he checked all the lines since there was always more than one we were on it July... He only was aware of one line.

5. The beds were horrible and they couldn't get any sleep.

DH and I were on the Glory in July. We had a great time (just a few rude passengers, but that isn't Carnival's fault). We were always able to get hot fresh food from the omelet station (burrito bar during the day). We slept like babies even with the fog horn going off (we had a balcony room on a Canada Cruise). DH loved the prime rib with the gravy and didn't even care that there was no au jus. DH kept telling him what a great time we had on the same ship and he kept telling DH that Carnival should give him a free cruise and he was going to write a letter and complain about what a horrible cruise he had. I don't know about you...but I don't think he has much to complain about :rolleyes:. I sure pity his wife, the people who went with him, the crew, DH, etc...

That's all he could come up with?? I thought he would at least be more creative than that, lol

A while ago (whatver my siggy says) i was on a Canada cruise with HAL. On one excursion we were not seated with our travel buddies for lunch but with strangers. This one guy complained during the entire lunch that his cabin was noisy then all get out at night when we were moving. He got a super delxue almost free cabin,,right above the engine room. All night long,,boom boom boom boom boom. YOu get what you pay for.

#4 is priceless. He didn't get fat enough on his cruise? what does that say about him as a person that he couldn't get fat enough? I consider it my goal to gain no more then 1 pound on a cruise.

I'm a little confused. If this guy had such a horrible time on Carnival, why on Earth would he write a letter, thinking he should get a free cruise. I don't think Carnival gives vouchers for RC cruises. God forbid, he should have to take another cruise on Carnival! Does a free cruise suddenly make such drudgery more tolerable?

The one thing I will give to RCCL over CCL, and you know this going on the Pride so many times, Port Canaveral is not one of their stops. I have looked at the Pride a hundred times, but I will not spend money on a cruise that stops in Port Canaveral...I can fly there and leave on a cruise, I don't want that to be a destination...

We have sailed the Pride twice with the Pt. Canaveral itinerary and agree with you that it is a complete waste of time. Why can't they at least go to Key West instead or even Miami?

My family and I are fortunately able to go on vacation each year.

We have been on RC, NCL and Carnival. All three cruise lines are

more or less the same. We love them all. ;) What really gets to

me are friends of ours that never go on vacation but yet can always

tell me that cruising is not for them - that they will be bored to death

My question is ....... If you never went cruising, how do you know

its not for you. Don't knock it till you try it :eek:

Years ago, I also "speculated" that cruising was not for me , until a family member convinced us to go on a cruise. Since then (5 years ago), we have cruised one to two times per year on either Carnival or RCCL.

People are often "afraid" of the unknown and make every excuse not to take their "first" cruise.

The cruise industry actually tries to lure in "new" cruisers which help them to maintain their profit margins.

• 3 weeks later...
I just had to share this story...

I just don't get how some people can be so closed minded about trying something different. I would love to try Royal if they would ever meet the needs of a vacation we are taking...so far they haven't. I would never put them down to others, especially if I have never sailed on them, and I would definately sail with the mind set of having a wonderful vacation and not anticipating a horrible one. I think some people bring on their own misery;).

First of all let me say I am ready and willing to try any cruise line when they meet my criteria for taking my family on vacation. This includes: itinerary, port, price, room, entertainment etc., etc,. etc., This usually happens to be CARNIVAL for my family and we have always been very happy with them on all of our vacations.

Last year while at Paradise Beach for the day in Cozumel I was sitting on the beach while my kids were at the resort and there were 4 other Moms sitting next to me and we starting talking. They told me they were on their first Royal cruise and their LAST Royal cruise. I told them I was on Carnival and they said they usually went on Carnival, but this year they went with Royal, and it was a huge mistake for them and their kids. Apparently the kids really missed Carnival's 24 hr. pizza, ice cream and kids clubs and activities. Their kids had some kind of curfew and were really bored on Royal and wished they had booked their usual Carnival cruise.

I am glad I got to talk with these mothers, and get their opinions because when you are on a ship for 7 days you really want your family to enjoy their vacation. Carnival has great kids programs, and we have always had wonderful family vacations with them.:)

And do you use all the crap on the carnival ships? You sound very biased yourself! If you have never sailed Royal, how do you know you wouldn't like the size of the rooms? I've sailed both lines and can tell you that the difference in the size of the rooms isn't even noticeable! The big difference is that Royal arranges the rooms so well that it isn't problem. Now, the ugly decor on the carnival ships, that's problem for anyone with good taste.

I am glad I am not so sensitive to decor.

I have been on NCL and Princess and Carnival. They are all about the same to me. I really sense no difference in the Cabin sizes. The food all seems about the same. Service the same. Entertainment the same. After over a dozen cruises on the three different lines none really stands out as better than the other overall. In fact the only cruise I have ever been on that I wish I had not gone on was an NCL spring break cruise. Other than that they all seem on par with each other regardless of line.

How can you say that each cruise line excels at something's and fails at others? You said you haven' sail Royal so how do you know anything about that line?

Right, and what about the ones that put Carnival down and yet, they have never cruised in their life so how can they even compare. :rolleyes: I have been hearing this lately from my sisters.

I've only been on RCI's short cruise. I will say that I preferred the short Carnival cruises that I've been on. Our room on RCI was SO small. We couldn't even get on the bed from both sides. One person had to climb across the bed. BUT, I am willing to go on RCI again if they are able to meet our vacation needs WRT price, itinerary, and dates.

Archived