DIY Advice for Five northern ports please

For Aarhus, I did this DIY a few years back. The ship (at least when I went) docked right in the old part of town. I walked from the ship directly to Den Gamle By. The walk was long though, about 20 minutes. But you go through most of the older part of town. Den Gamle By is a nice little attraction that is made up of a bunch of old Danish houses from different parts of Denmark. Inside this "village" there are people who are dressed up in period costumes and you can see what life was like back during the 16th and 17th century. It's interesting. From Den Gamle By, I walked to the newer part of town and their pedestrian shopping street. I didn't do any shopping, but a lot of people watching and browsing. After that, there wasn't much to do. So, if you're willing to walk out to Den Gamle By you will have seen most of the main part of the Old Town. You can also take a taxi out to Den Gamle By. If you plan to stay local to Aarhus, definitely DIY this city.

On my Baltics cruise, I also did Helsinki and Stockholm DIY, both were easy with enough advance research. You can check out pictures and a review in my signature.

I'm doing another Baltic cruise again this August, so I'm curious to see how much has changed (or hasn't changed) in the years since I've been.

Type of shipKryssningsfartyg

Arrival date: 2012-09-08 07:00

Departure date: 2012-09-08 14:00

Arrival to: Helsinki

Departure from: Köbenhavns Havn

Donna, in reading this quote do I assume that the ship is arriving from Helsinki (which is the case) and that the port for arrival and departure in Stockholm is Kovenhavns?

Princess is not booked to dock in Nynäshamn, you will dock i Stockholm. The name of the port for your cruise is Stadsgården S 167. Here is a link to a map where you can see your port in relation to the main sights http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?msid=200939608343314501629.000448dadb8bebb56f079&msa=0

Another thing, you have been adviced to go to the Vasa Musuem first thing when you arrive in Stockholm. But your ship arrives at 7.00 am and in September the museum does not open untill 10.00 am. In fact, in my mind, it is unfair of Princess to only allow you time in Stockholm from 7.00 am untill 2.00 pm. There is not much that is open before 10.00 am which actually gives you a rather short time to do things. My recommendation would be to go to Gamla Stan first and wander around, and then be at the Vasa Museum in time for when it opens, Shops and other things will be closed in the morning but at least you can se what the old town looks like.

Jstducky, thanks for confirming what I've been able to gather from my more recent research. And I enjoyed the links to your photo gallery. Many of which brought back happy memories of our travels.

And North-Bound, you have offered clear and practical advice, especially re the opening hours of the Museum.

I do value your expertise,

Ruth

Thank you 'passport friend' for confirming that Kristiansand is a walkable city we can explore independently.

Have you used a HOHO bus there?

Again, thanks,

Ruth

I'm pretty sure there isn't a HOHO in Kristiansand; it's too small a city for that (last I looked, the population was about 20,000; it's the sixth-largest city in Norway).

Archived