Comparison between Carnival Sensation and RCCL Monarch of the Seas

Lunchlady

Thinking we might try something different this spring break, booking last minute. Been on RCCL Monarch last 3 years and thinking of trying Carnival's Sensation out of Port Canaveral. Been to most ports so it's just for fun and sun. Any comparison notes would be helpful. Thanks - Cindy:)

been on both and monarch hands down. Imo the sensation had better food and better shows but everything else goes to the monarch. been to freeport twice and not looking to go there again. we will certainly cruise again with both lines but I can't say I would sail again on the sensation.

Of all the Carnival cruises I've taken, the Sensation ranks at the bottom. It was without a doubt my least favorite. The ship is outdated and gawdy (think 90's Old Vegas tacky purple decor). Freeport is a much worse port of call than Coco Cay or Half Moon Cay. Finally, I wouldn't like to deal with what seemed like a larger than usual number of cruisers who had no clue how to behave in public. The entire experience just felt cheap.

I'd definitely take the Monarch again...

I enjoyed our Sensation cruises, I even sailed her before the evolutions of fun upgrades. I love this class of ship, especially for a short cruise because it's easy to get around. I have never been on the Monarch, but if she's similar to Sovereign, I say try something new for yourself. Rccl decor is much more subdued, but I don't notice the decor much after I see it initially.

I dint know why Freeport gets such negative press, to me it's the perfect beach day, take a taxi to Our Lucaya, it's a lovely beach, water sports are available and shops right across the street.

I found the same kind of people Both the Sensation and the Sovereign.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a charge to use this facility? Looks beautiful. Infinity pool, swim up bar very nice. If there is a charge $$$$?? Thx.

What facility?? I see someone talking about the private beach .. is it something there?

Sorry, I cant figure out what facility you are asking about with these amenities.

Our cruisecritic friend Beach410 suggested Our Lucayan beach in Freeport, so I just googled that and a resort came up as a reply. It looks like a resort to me but not sure if this is the area Beach410 mentioned. It looks beautiful.

I have cruised on both multiple times, and I like them both very much. They each have their pros and cons, none serious enough for me to pay more to go on one over the other. Surprisingly, Monarch has been cheaper lately so I have been on her more often.

The Monarch has nicer interior decor and and easier layout to navigate. Her regular staterooms are noticeably smaller than Sensation's though. Monarch has two pools, where Sensation only has one. Monarch also has the rock climbing wall which Sensation does not have.

Sensation has the large water slides, mini golf and Serenity (an adults-only sunning area with it's own hot tubs), all features the Monarch lacks. The main dining room service and food quality is pretty comparable between the two, but Monarch has a better (and more spacious) buffet layout.

Here are two pictorial reviews that I have done on them if you want to check them out:

Sensation:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1283348

Monarch of the Seas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439969

Archived