Cruise Critic Community
quanmama

Experience with Sky Suite or Celebrity Suite on a port intensive itinerary

We are seriously considering getting either a Sky Suite or Celebrity Suite (probably Sky Suite) on our upcoming 12 nights Med cruise. Right now we are booked on a 1A Cabin. A friend of mine told me it would be such a waste of money to get a suite on a very port intensive itinerary since we won't be spending much time in it. This cruise will have 2 sea days only. I know this is a very personal issue and people's perception of values is quite different. I want to hear about the experience from people who had been on a port intensive cruise with a suite. Did you feel like you were able to enjoy the suite as much as you wanted to? Was it worth it to you even though you were not in the suite that much due to many port days? Did the perks and butler make up a very good experience for you? We plan to be at the ports on all the port days, but some of the days we might be at ports for less than a full day. Please share your experience! ;)

Edited by quanmama

We've done two port-intensive European cruises and have a Med cruise coming up in April, all in suites. We personally love the extra real estate of the suites ... and the additional perks so for us having a nice place where we can enjoy each other's company in a quiet space is important. Other people tend to be out and about the ship all the time and view their cabin as a place to shower, dress, and sleep. Only you can decide which kind of cruiser you are and what feels the most comfortable to you. Either way, enjoy!!

We did the Eastern Med last Nov. for 11 nights, in CS.

We did private tours every port, most met in the suite because it was a great place, lots of room, easy to find, no one looking all over the place to find people.

The butler comes into play with food service, at least in my view and use for them.

He set up breakfast, clean it up, set up for the tour group snacks.

Came back after touring all day, we ordered dinner from the MDR menu and ate in the suite if we wanted to.

Plus anything that was going on, on the ship, he kept us informed.

At the time the cost between a SS and a CS was very little.

We also got dinner in the specials for 2 nights, we also got Elite coupons.

Its really based on what you are looking.

We just did the Mille. for 5 nights in an aft C1 that had a 10x20 balcony and were very happy with the service.

Helps?

John

Edited by jes28

We did the Eastern Med last Nov. for 11 nights, in CS.

We did private tours every port, most met in the suite because it was a great place, lots of room, easy to find, no one looking all over the place to find people.

The butler comes into play with food service, at least in my view and use for them.

He set up breakfast, clean it up, set up for the tour group snacks.

Came back after touring all day, we ordered dinner from the MDR menu and ate in the suite if we wanted to.

Plus anything that was going on, on the ship, he kept us informed.

At the time the cost between a SS and a CS was very little.

We also got dinner in the specials for 2 nights, we also got Elite coupons.

Its really based on what you are looking.

We just did the Mille. for 5 nights in an aft C1 that had a 10x20 balcony and were very happy with the service.

Helps?

John

Thank you for sharing and it helps! I did not know that you could get snacks for your whole group instead of just for whoever stays in the suite. What a great idea to have your tour group meet at the suite! May I ask what kind of Elite coupons did you get? Did it include free laundry or internet service? Do you know if the coupons vary from ships to ships? Thank you again!

We've done two port-intensive European cruises and have a Med cruise coming up in April, all in suites. We personally love the extra real estate of the suites ... and the additional perks so for us having a nice place where we can enjoy each other's company in a quiet space is important. Other people tend to be out and about the ship all the time and view their cabin as a place to shower, dress, and sleep. Only you can decide which kind of cruiser you are and what feels the most comfortable to you. Either way, enjoy!!

Thanks for sharing. I personally would love the extra real estate too. I do get a bit claustrophobic sometimes so any extra space helps, plus I like to hang out in the cabin with my coffee and a book on a sea day.

Edited by quanmama

To me, I equate it with spending the whole day in my bedroom! Who wants to do that? I want to be out and about. I can always find a quiet place on deck to read and sip a piña colada but still be part of the action. So for me the extra cost is not worth it, but that's a personal judgment.

We had Sky Suites for our Baltic 12-night in 2008. We were a family group of 6, and we had 3 adjacent SS on Century.

The accommodations were lovely, and our butler terrific - but we wouldn't do it again. Except for the butler service, a SS is basically just a somewhat larger CC. Certainly not enough room to host a party, maybe another couple. And we just couldn't think of things for our butler to do, outside of the things a good steward already does.

Once you leave your suite, you are just another passenger. X does not do anything to make suite passengers feel special - or at least not SS passengers. So basically, you're spending the money for the real estate. And the value of that is definitely subjective. Apparently enough people value it, because Suites are almost always shown as sold out when I look at cruises close to sail date.

But for us, a nice C1/C2 is great. And for our next cruise, we're trying AQ, because we think we will really enjoy the more intimate dining experience of Blu.

We have booked suites for all our cruises after our first when we found a CC stateroom on Consellation was far too small [on a Baltic port-intensive cruise]. The extra space and facilities are great on any cruise.

What we find particularly useful on a port day is having the storage space to keep out "going ashore kit" [bags, water, hats, walking stick, etc] together in one place but out of the way so that we do not fall over it. This just reduces the hassel. Then we can just put it all back at the end of the day ready for the next. I am not sure it a Sky Suite would have the storage capacity to do this.

Sue

My DH and I have just returned from our 1st celebrity cruise on the Equinox. We booked a suite because we like our own space to relax away from it all, have to say to us it was well worth the extra money but as other people have said it is a personal thing. We were lucky enough to be awarded elite status but understand this doesn't always happen. Whatever you choose I am sure you will love Celebrity. This was our 2nd cruise (RCCI before) and we would definitely cruise Celebrity again. Far superior in all ways compared to RCCI, again, only our personal opinion.:)

Last fall we were fortunate to be upgraded to a S1 suite on Solstice and it was really nice. Would I spend extra money for the additional space and a butler? No.

The port days are very long and getting back to the cabin to shower and change really does not justify paying for extra space. Then again, people buy houses because the master bedroom is 500 square feet or bigger. Are the canapes in the suite better? not really. Did the butler provide better service than our cabin attendant in concierge the previous cruise? Not really.

If it was free (as with us) or at very little difference in price, why not but otherwise I would not get one.

Thank you all for sharing all the different perspectives. I am still curious to find out what the Elite coupons will get you. This will be our first X cruise.

Thank you all for sharing all the different perspectives. I am still curious to find out what the Elite coupons will get you. This will be our first X cruise.

We are Elite and the coupons do get you some free laundry and some free dry cleaning. You will also have free internet time and a few other perks.

We will be in a Sky suite on our upcoming cruise in April celebrating 60 years together.

We are retired and are very frequent cruisers, so prefer to book less expensive cabins and do more cruises. Special occasions sometimes rate higher categories.

~Doris~

We were upgraded to a suite last year on our 12 day Med cruise. Thank goodness we were upgraded because in our eyes it's not worth the extra money. With a port intensive cruise, your not able to take advantage of amenities that this class offers. As for the butler service we rated it a 3/10 on our review.

If you get the free upgrade go for it, but I would save your money to spend elsewhere..

Cheers

A quick update--X has dropped another $200 pp on our sailing's gty cabins, but they are not offering any gty on suites for 3 people. The price for gty suites now are looking pretty good but we cannot take advantage of it because we are a family of 3...sigh...