Fashion Police on Eurodam

CCKelly

In my experience, most times women would rather insult than compliment another woman.

A few years back I lost over 75lbs...ask me how many women told me I look great. Less than 10, including my own family members. Sad but true. Most comments came from men.

Some women would rather have root canal than say something nice to or about another woman...it's just sad. It's also a direct reflection of their insecurities.

I'm so grateful my girlfriends are not like that.

We have this thing about being happy for eachother's successes and share their pleasure at accomplishments.

I don't think I could have friends who could not be happy for me when appropriate.

That's not a friend. IMO

I'm so grateful my girlfriends are not like that.

We have this thing about being happy for eachother's successes and share their pleasure at accomplishments.

I don't think I could have friends who could not be happy for me when appropriate.

That's not a friend. IMO

I agree. You're very fortunate to have great girlfriends. I learned a lot about my "friends" during that time period.:(

I haven't seen you, of course, (not that I know of :) ) but I am SURE you look fabulous. Congratulations on a wonderful accomplishment. WELL Done!!!

You're sweet, thank you very much.

Someday I'll post before and after pic's...don't want to hi-jack this thread. (any more than I already have);)

My partner and I enjoy wearing our tuxes for formal nights as we don't have the opportunity to dress up much at home anymore. It always amazes us that generally on every sailing someone in the elevator compliments us by saying "Oh you're dressed up". While it is a compliment, it always seems a little back-handed and condescending the way that it is said. We always look at each other when we get off the elevator and say "it is formal night, isn't it?".

:) :)

My partner and I enjoy wearing our tuxes for formal nights as we don't have the opportunity to dress up much at home anymore. It always amazes us that generally on every sailing someone in the elevator compliments us by saying "Oh you're dressed up". While it is a compliment, it always seems a little back-handed and condescending the way that it is said. We always look at each other when we get off the elevator and say "it is formal night, isn't it?".

ugh I know exactly what you mean. I hate "back handed" compliments...I'd rather they say nothing at all.

Elevator conversation/or lack thereof can be SO uncomfortable sometimes.

Haha, that's a bit annoying. My fear for the laxness of dresscodes is that I will be dressed properly for the evening, but I will be looked as being out of place. I am almost always in a dress on a cruise. Usually, a casual sundress during the day and a nicer date night/cocktail dress in the evening or a gown on formal nights.

If I do make a comment on someone's apparel, it is either "Oh, I love your dress!" or "You look quite nice!"

[quote name=Sapphire723;32983667

If I do make a comment on someone's apparel' date=' it is either "Oh, I love your dress!" or "You look quite nice!"[/quote]

I am the same way. There have been many occasions that someone looks wonderful and if the opportunity arises I have said "oh you look lovely", but I don't go out of my way to say anything to someone because I don't like it being said to me.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My MIL always dresses in a dress or skirt/blouse combo for every dinner. She is a very girly-girl and has literally hundreds of dresses. She over packs dresses and shoes for every single cruise and has a different outfit for every night, no matter how long the cruise is. (Always more than 10 days.) She is 82 and if she wants to dress for dinner, I'm not going to stop her.

I have cruised with her before and I am taking so many fewer outfits for our next cruise because she won't be joining us and wanting me to be dressed up with her.

She is currently on the NA with enough dresses for a month even though they are only there for 2 weeks.

Do we have a problem with the initial comment that started this thread. Yep.

We were not on the Eurodam BUT we did get mixed up one evening on the Rotterdam and dressed for a formal night on a non-formal evening. Did we ever look sharp. Our weak excuse, we were misled by the daily bulletin.

Fortunately, we never got to an elevator, or to encounter the aforementioned 'Fashion Police'; instead our neighbour a few door down saw us as we walked proudly down the companionway and kindly commented, "Did we have the nights mixed up?"

Sure did.. Into the room, quick change, then headed off for nice relaxed 'informal' dinner. Oh yes, in addition to thank yous to the 'Fashion Police' perhaps a glass of good wine sent over to that kind gentleman's dinner table.

Our problem: are there really 'Fashion Police'? Nope, don't think so. Only fellow cruisers who are observant and helpful.

Love your story... Note to fashion police, relax!

an appropriate response to those folks is something along the lines of "while you have little control over those folks who THINK you're an ass, it's another thing entirely, to open your mouth and confirm it"

I think that's a variation on: Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. Keep thinking that's a Will Rogers comment, but not absolutely certain.

My husband was wearing his tux on formal night on the Volendam, and one of our dinner companions, who was wearing a sport coat and tie, made fun of him. I can't remember exactly what he said, something along the lines of dressing like James Bond or something, but it made my husband uncomfortable. Then we saw some people from our roll call, and the men were in tuxes, and my husband felt better. (But he and those men were just about the only men wearing tuxes that cruise.) Some people are just rude!

Robin

These stories amaze me!..Several cruises ago when DH & I were in an elevator, he was in his TUX looking very handsome & I was in a long dress on a Formal night...A group got on which were obviously enjoying their cruise..One man, who had a drink in his hand, looked my DH up & down..He snickered & asked DH "What are you a politician or something?" :) We thought his remark was funny & just laughed it off... But when I mentioned it to our Friends, they were more upset than we were...LOL

Had no idea that the Un-Fashion Police are so widespread! :D

The past several cruises DH decided that he no longer wanted to take his TUX & instead purchased a new dark suit..Wish he would go back to his TUX as the dark suit wrinkles more & I have to send it out to be pressed every time he wears it on board..

Cheers...Betty

I am glad to know it isn't just us...

I hate those rude comments! Always in elevator, table or bar...

I do feel like saying 'Well, Its formal night" or "well a 5 course meal and fine china"...

We dress formal on formal night, Very nice others, no less than a date night on land.

We don't make comments like, "Nice T-Shirt and Jeans" or Hey- "Awesome shorts"...

Its 7 nights of date nights for us, so we do enjoy them just as we would on land.

Wish people would keep their condescending thoughts and backhanded compliments to themselves.

Shame shame on some people!

If HAL really enforced it, it would be different I suppose.

PS was quoting the posts right above, for some reason it did not work.

That sounds like envy/insecurity to me. Sad, because the sport coat and tie, while not technically formal, meets the HAL description of formal night. So that man had no reason to make such a remark.

It is so easy to make someone's day with a compliment instead. They feel better, you feel better - and everyone enjoys themselves. I think you are right - it was an insecurity issue.

There is a risk when you wear a tux that first formal night that you may be the only one at your table to do so. I test the waters at first meeting to see where people stand on the matter. We have been fortunate and have been seated with pax that dress formally, but I might consider switching to a jacket and tie if that was the consensus of the table. As I say though, it has not been an issue so far.

As a side note, I think formal evenings really do hearken back to what probably are the over glorified days of the trans-atlantic ferry. Unless everyone respects the tradition, I expect it will die a slow death. For us it will be too bad. For others - a release.

I suppose there will always be Cunard.

...The past several cruises DH decided that he no longer wanted to take his TUX & instead purchased a new dark suit..Wish he would go back to his TUX as the dark suit wrinkles more & I have to send it out to be pressed every time he wears it on board..[/size][/font]

Cheers...Betty

I hope he didn't change his preference because of that comment. Formal wear on ships are truly representative of a grand tradition - for whom it resonates.

It resonates for you both I think, as it does us.

Smooth sailing...

I am one of those who remember "If you can't say something nice about somone, don't say anything at all"...coupled with, "does it really matter what people wear, so long as they are pleasant?", and "mind my own business". I can't remember what anyone has worn, day to day -- unless of course it's the same outfit!, and "inappropriate attire" has not ever ruined my cruise experience...

I hope he didn't change his preference because of that comment. Formal wear on ships are truly representative of a grand tradition - for whom it resonates.

It resonates for you both I think, as it does us.

Smooth sailing...

Actually, he started to change his mind when on our Bermuda cruise in 2010 out of NYC, only a few men had on a TUX..Believe he felt as though he was sticking out like a sore thumb..I still wear my same formal wear, which is not glitzy, but mainly long skirts or plain long dresses, only because we don't get to dress as much in Fla anymore..Since we normally drive to the port, I can still add to our luggage..:eek:

Must admit however, we did take an extra bag to Alaska & Bermuda as I figured we were spending so much on the cruises, an extra $25 or $30 would not break the bank..Also admit to taking far too many clothes on all of our cruises though, & now writing down all those which have not been worn to help me plan better..;)

LOL:)

Cheers...:)Betty

It is so easy to make someone's day with a compliment instead. They feel better, you feel better - and everyone enjoys themselves. I think you are right - it was an insecurity issue.

There is a risk when you wear a tux that first formal night that you may be the only one at your table to do so. I test the waters at first meeting to see where people stand on the matter. We have been fortunate and have been seated with pax that dress formally, but I might consider switching to a jacket and tie if that was the consensus of the table. As I say though, it has not been an issue so far.

As a side note, I think formal evenings really do hearken back to what probably are the over glorified days of the trans-atlantic ferry. Unless everyone respects the tradition, I expect it will die a slow death. For us it will be too bad. For others - a release.

I suppose there will always be Cunard.

I certainly hope so. It may be the last line with true formal nights.

On our recent QM2 cruise, nearly all the men were in tuxes on formal night. At the Commodore's welcome party, in his remarks he mentioned how wonderful everyone looked in their formal attire. On another formal night, the CD commented on how good we all looked. I don't recall ever hearing a Cunard captain comment on passengers' dress. I wonder if the Captain/Commodore and CD are being reminded to compliment people. In the face of so many lines becoming less formal, Cunard wants us to know that they are the elegant line, and they appreciate our contribution to the elegance.

Their description of formal night says dark suit or tux, but nearly all the men wear a tux. Cunard also has what they call semi formal (slacks, dress shirt, tie, jacket), and elegant casual. EC is the same as semiformal, except no tie is required. Most EC nights DH and the other gentleman at our table in the dining room wore ties. They both said they like the look of a tie with a jacket, so why not dress that way.

Actually, he started to change his mind when on our Bermuda cruise in 2010 out of NYC, only a few men had on a TUX..Believe he felt as though he was sticking out like a sore thumb..I still wear my same formal wear, which is not glitzy, but mainly long skirts or plain long dresses, only because we don't get to dress as much in Fla anymore..Since we normally drive to the port, I can still add to our luggage..:eek:

Must admit however, we did take an extra bag to Alaska & Bermuda as I figured we were spending so much on the cruises, an extra $25 or $30 would not break the bank..Also admit to taking far too many clothes on all of our cruises though, & now writing down all those which have not been worn to help me plan better..;)

LOL:)

For us, the extra luggage charge of $25 or $30 is insignificant in the scheme of what we pay for our cruises......

The extra suitcase is becoming harder to manage as we get older. It's something else to keep track of, a third suitcase means we cannot handle the bags ourselves in a situation where we have trouble finding help. We can manage a bag each and each with a carryon but we cannot manage a third suitcase.

Sure most of the time, we have bellhops, luggage carts and stevedores but there have been times we wished we could manage on our own and not wait until the bellhop in the hotel up to our room etc

I'll be packing soon for our upcoming Maasdam cruise and we're still deciding whether to lug tuxedo, tux shirts, tux shoes, different high heeled shoes for my different dresses etc We well may do suit/sport jacket and tie for DH and cocktail dresses for me that pack easier, weigh less, can go with one pair of black sandals or pumps.

It's not the $$, it's the added 'load'.

<snip>

I hear ya! For a 4-week trip that included a 22-day cruise, we took more luggage than we have had in years. Thank goodness for those luggage trolleys! Picture two people with:

rolling hardside suitcase

2 rollable garment bags

large duffel

rolling carryon bag

small duffel carryon bag

We usually manage a cruise vacation with all of the above minus one of the garment bags. We're used to that. Amazing how adding one more piece of luggage makes things awkward.

Fortunately, the hardside case rolls without tilting, so I could push it and roll my carryon with it. Pulling one garment bag with the other hand, Plus briefcase containing laptop slung on my shoulder. DH carried the duffels and towed the other rolling garment bag. Fortunately, the only times we had to juggle all of this sans cart was getting from a taxi to the checkin gate.

For us, the extra luggage charge of $25 or $30 is insignificant in the scheme of what we pay for our cruises......

The extra suitcase is becoming harder to manage as we get older. It's something else to keep track of, a third suitcase means we cannot handle the bags ourselves in a situation where we have trouble finding help. We can manage a bag each and each with a carry on but we cannot manage a third suitcase.

Sure most of the time, we have bellhops, luggage carts and stevedores but there have been times we wished we could manage on our own and not wait until the bellhop in the hotel up to our room etc

I'll be packing soon for our upcoming Maasdam cruise and we're still deciding whether to lug tuxedo, tux shirts, tux shoes, different high heeled shoes for my different dresses etc We well may do suit/sport jacket and tie for DH and cocktail dresses for me that pack easier, weigh less, can go with one pair of black sandals or pumps.

OH Yes I hear ya too! I 'm beginning to see the toll it takes on us to have three checked bags..

The problem is we never take a 7 day cruise & only take the longer ones..Have always packed a rolling garment bag, & two large suitcases in addition to two carry-ons but Last time I did downsized the large ones & took two medium ones plus the rolling garment bag in addition to our carry-on's..DH normally wears his sport jacket either on the plane or we hang it in the car..He puts it on when we reach the port..

I'm really going to try to take one less bag on the next cruise as I see how it is a struggle for DH & myself...If we have to fly, will definitely limit it to two rolling bags to check in & two rolling carry-on's..One of my big problems is shoes, & I'm really going to try to limit the shoes next time..:D

Wish me luck..:):)LOL

Haha, that's a bit annoying. My fear for the laxness of dresscodes is that I will be dressed properly for the evening, but I will be looked as being out of place. I am almost always in a dress on a cruise. Usually, a casual sundress during the day and a nicer date night/cocktail dress in the evening or a gown on formal nights.

If I do make a comment on someone's apparel, it is either "Oh, I love your dress!" or "You look quite nice!"

I don't ever feel out of place when i'm the one dressed up. The only time really to feel out of place is when everyone else is dressed up and you're not. In other words formal looks better than casual haha

Extra charges for checked bags is the very last reason why we stopped our old practice of packing the kitchen sink. It is a convenience issue. We travel frequently and we simply got tired of carrying, checking, worrying about our bags, etc. And we envied and marvelled at those who were able to travel with so little luggage. Especially when part of our travel was train or rental car (in Europe the cars are small and there is a necessity to keep everyting in the trunk and out of sight).

Reducing what we took was only parically successful...then it began to creep back up to previous levels. So, we just decided to downsize our suitcases and limit ourselves to one each. I took a 20" roller, DW at 24". It seemed like an impossible task at first. Looking back, it was a snap and we find travel so much easier now. We are also down to one small carry on between us. I sometimes take a small backpack but with only a book in it. DW's goal is to get down to a 20" so that both can go as cabin baggage. It'd doable because there is now extra room in my 20". This is what we take for one week or for five weeks.

If we had not done it this way I think that we would still be travelling with 2 larger suitcase, often a garment bag, and two carry ons. Or maybe even more. Does not work for everyone but we certainly found it 'liberating'.

That's it! Elegance. That is why I wear dresses to dinner every night and gowns for formal nights. It's about being elegant. Being on a cruise is special to me. It is out of the ordinary. I do not want to dress in my ordinary way.

It is like how we used to dress nicely for airline travel. Remember that? I am only 50, but I remember my mother teaching us that we had to "dress" for airline travel. That has all changed now.

I would hate to see the tradition of Formal Attire slowly leave cruising. I really will not consider a cruise line that takes things too casually....and really I am a very casual soccer mom type in real life!

Ann

Archived