Gay cruise ship docks in Dominica; two passengers arrested for buggery

Ken_W

As luck would have it, my partner and I have scheduled a vacation aboard the Celebrity Summit for early April and the ship will stop in Dominica.

Initially, the media and many others seemed to assume that the men recently arrested in Dominica had been performing some outrageously lewd sex act in a public place and deserved to be hauled in, as would anyone else who did such a thing.

But a number of details have emerged which are more troubling. If being on a “gay cruise” does not justify illicit behavior, then nether should it justify a program of surveillance and harassment by the police.

The two men detained were not ashore but on their cruise ship, having apparently chosen not to go ashore. The ship was tied up some distance from the shore and thus the actions of the two men could presumably be seen only by those deliberately searching for it, perhaps with the aid of binoculars or a similar item. In other words, they could only be seen by someone looking for trouble.

Are we to assume that the police there scan non-gay cruise trips with the same enthusiasm? The men were paraded through the streets and mocked by crowds. (Should we be thankful that the people of Roseau didn’t get around to crucifixion?) Does anyone think that a straight couple would be subject to that treatment?

They were on a fairly large ship, so could the men have been located if not for the active cooperation of the crew? There seems to have been no effort by the tour operator or the cruise line to assist the men dragged off the ship. The tour operator said, in effect, no problem - party on, and the ship sailed away when an effort to remain in port could have added pressure to release their passengers who were accosted when aboard their ship which is responsible for their welfare. There were not even any public statements of protest from Celebrity even though the business they bring to that small island could have provided real leverage in forcing Dominica to face reality. I guess that there are schedules to be met and profits to be made and perhaps that is as deep as their values go.

So should I feel comfortable sitting on my cabin terrace in Roseau with my partner, even if we are fully dressed and careful to avoid all physical contact, while knowing that we may be under observation from shore? Assuming we go ashore, what would happen if we had to deal with the police for any reason? Suppose they found out that we share the same address? As it is, my partner has already said that he will not dare to wear the ring we use to symbolize our relationship.

So I am left wondering if anyone should have to put up with this kind of intimidation from what is, frankly, a two-bit island just for a vacation?

Yes there is hot fun if you want it, but you really have to be searching for it to find it, otherwise you will not witness it during the cruise...... it's all about the money we would be leaving behind. I say screw them all, let's just do a cruise with 6 fun filled days at sea and a day at the cruise lines private island.

Word!

Having 6 RSVP cruises under my belt, the notion of a gay cruise can be as "flamboyant" or "low-key" as you make it. Really depends on the individual and how they want to spend his or her vacation.

As far as "who" is to blame, eh its half dozen of one, half dozen of the other. True, being in dock, naked on your deck, probably wasn't the best idea in the world, yet Atlantis should of done better research. What would of happened if two men were seen on the streets holding hands?? What would of happened if it was underwear T-Dance (or cast away, or any t-dance), and the gang is all on the lido deck pulling away, half naked dancing to some loud electro thumpa thumpa dance music? Roaton 2010 RSVP for $900 Alex?

The Gay Dollar is strong. Has been. If some-place doesn't like us there, hey--we'll go somewhere else. Funny how in one of the articles, The president of Atlantis, stated that he's taken 50,000 people to the Carribean, and never have had any problems. Oh, I think there have been issues docking on certain islands before....

Oh the idea of 6 days at sea with a stop at the private island has been around long time. Very long time. Would be an awesome cruise! Agreed.

The ship was tied up some distance from the shore and thus the actions of the two men could presumably be seen only by those deliberately searching for it, perhaps with the aid of binoculars or a similar item. In other words, they could only be seen by someone looking for trouble.

What the dock area looks like:

450px-Roseau_from_the_plane_from_Guadeloupe.jpg

Dominica-Dock.jpg

4068068475_cfd90fd031.jpg

160264330_98e3f7c7d4.jpg

article-2118629-12487FED000005DC-19_634x366.jpg

Makes you wonder what was really seen, what really happened.

What the dock area looks like:

450px-Roseau_from_the_plane_from_Guadeloupe.jpg

Dominica-Dock.jpg

4068068475_cfd90fd031.jpg

160264330_98e3f7c7d4.jpg

article-2118629-12487FED000005DC-19_634x366.jpg

Makes you wonder what was really seen, what really happened.

We were there on the QM2 last year. We had no issues whatsoever. I believe you're right. The authorities knew this was a gay cruise & needed something to make a scene. There's been a lot of crime on this island. My spouse's coworker was on a Carnival cruise & one of the crew(piano player, I think)got robbed by gun point on a side street. Just reading the dominica news online website, tells a lot about drug trafficking. The police needed a diversion to show how they're cracking down on such deviant behavior. From what's coming out, it seems these 2 guys were just naked on their balcony. Rather stupid, but how many binoculars must have been trained on the ship?? In viewing the photos that boytjie posted(yes, you get great credit here!) The towns people are not allowed on the pier(same as our trip)they had to be watching the ship with some devices,either that or they eat an amazing amount of carrots!

I might be naiive or just not looking but I've never seen anyone, gay or straight, having sex on their balcony.

Well, a couple months ago on Millenium from the windows of the cafeteria we saw, how does one put this gently, someone having an intimate relationship with himself on his balcony. Fortunately, I think we were the only unwilling voyeurs.

What happened to these 2 men is an OUTRAGE !!!

Punished for being gay. The police were voyeuristic and looking for nude women on the balcony so they could enjoy and instead saw nude men. SO WHAT ???? This is ridiculous and I am angry at the ship's captain for deserting these 2 passengers.

I think the captain should have not sailed from dominica until the 2 passengers

were released and returned to the ship. The passengers should have put down their "sex on the beach" DRINK and put up protest signs.

So the other 2,000 passengers' cruise must be impacted by the stupid actions of 2?

Rather stupid, but how many binoculars must have been trained on the ship?? In viewing the photos that boytjie posted(yes, you get great credit here!) The towns people are not allowed on the pier(same as our trip)they had to be watching the ship with some devices,either that or they eat an amazing amount of carrots!

Nothing unusual about that I believe. Here in Santa Barbara we get the occasional cruise ship stopping for the day (the Sapphire Princess is here today) and they anchor a ways off the beach. Every time there's plenty of people lining the breakwater and/or beach with binoculars and cameras. It's human nature. Any time a ship is in port it WILL be watched.

I personally feel that a all gay charter compared to a normal cruise is more relaxing, I know I can be myself with my friends and not have to worry about my sexual orientation offending anyone around me, therefore making me and those that judge feel uncomfortable. I have no problem with ignoring those closed minded people, but when I'm on a vacation and can pay for not having that around me, it's well worth the money.

..... I say screw them all, let's just do a cruise with 6 fun filled days at sea and a day at the cruise lines private island.

I echo your comments, I love the atmosphere on these charters

I might be naiive or just not looking but I've never seen anyone, gay or straight, having sex on their balcony.

I think it happens quite often from comments i read online, it is mentioned on nearly every thread that discusses smoking on balconies, probably happens more at night while at sea rather than port days

I think the captain should have not sailed from dominica until the 2 passengers were released and returned to the ship. The passengers should have put down their "sex on the beach" DRINK and put up protest signs.

I disagree, why disrupt the other 2000 passengers vacation for the poor behavior of 2 guests?

These guys owe the entire global gay population an apology for furthering the anti gay sentiment that is working against us it the fight for equality. Still not sure why Rich or Atlantis should have any responsibility in any of this, it is up to us to make good decisions on our behavior especially in foreign lands

So the other 2,000 passengers' cruise must be impacted by the stupid actions of 2?

Not to mention the people on the next sailing, for whom he would have been late had he waited for these two.

Folks should be annoyed with Atlantis for choosing this island and not with Celebrity for abiding by its laws.

I echo your comments, I love the atmosphere on these charters

I think it happens quite often from comments i read online, it is mentioned on nearly every thread that discusses smoking on balconies, probably happens more at night while at sea rather than port days

I disagree, why disrupt the other 2000 passengers vacation for the poor behavior of 2 guests?

These guys owe the entire global gay population an apology for furthering the anti gay sentiment that is working against us it the fight for equality. Still not sure why Rich or Atlantis should have any responsibility in any of this, it is up to us to make good decisions on our behavior especially in foreign lands

The 2 male passengers were in the privacy of their own stateroom , which they bad for. The ships security had no been called

So there was no criminal activity by the 2 passengers

The ship is not registered in Dominica

What happened to them can happen to any gay passenger and it will happen again. If the captain took appropriate action with the authorities

Then that ship would have left on time with the 2 passengers

Also the other passengers should have gotten involved

Since this a a family of gay passengers.

What happenned impacted all.

They should never apologize to anyone

If this injustice is permitted then it is a violation of all gays civil rights

The 2 male passengers were in the privacy of their own stateroom , which they bad for. The ships security had no been called

So there was no criminal activity by the 2 passengers

The ship is not registered in Dominica

What happened to them can happen to any gay passenger and it will happen again. If the captain took appropriate action with the authorities

Then that ship would have left on time with the 2 passengers

Also the other passengers should have gotten involved

Since this a a family of gay passengers.

What happenned impacted all.

They should never apologize to anyone

If this injustice is permitted then it is a violation of all gays civil rights

The ship was in Dominican waters, it does not matter where it is registered, it is subject to their laws. The passengers are also subject to the local laws.

Other passengers, on the Atlantis FB page, attest to the fact that this couple were having sex on their balcony and that many took photos.

That these two mis-represented what happened later proves only that they didn't think others would be taking pictures.

The Captain complied with local law; what else would you expect him to do?

2000 people managed to get off the ship and return without being jailed. Mostly, I imagine, it was because they did not put on a show or break the law.

While I agree that Atlantis should do a little more research in choosing its ports, I think these fellows were their own undoing. Were they treated horribly, ashore? Yes, it seems they were. Would that have happened if they had stayed in their room to have sex, it would seem not.

If you commit any illegal act and get caught ... then you are responsible.

No matter if its on a ship or on land ... The travel company can not be held responsible for people having any kind of sex act in public. The same applies to the Cruise company.

Its simple they were silly and got caught.

Neil

Having just returned from my first Atlantis cruise I can assure you that the accounts given by the two passengers are totally untrue. My friends and I saw exactly what was going on and there were no clothes around and we needed no binoculars. The ship docked very close to shore and we noticed the two men without anyone even mentioning it to us. I was immediately offended and looked for ship officials or anyone to try to get the two men to take it inside their cabin. They were simply being exhibitionists. I don't think being gay had anything to do with the police action since a straight couple doing the same thing would have provoked the same reaction given how blatent the actions were.

My friends and I had a great time on Dominica and found everyone very friendly and welcoming. The island has great natural wonders that were the highlight of our week. It was disturbing that the actions of two idiots brought news coverage to the cruise and, by association, detracted from what was otherwise a really enjoyable week.

Having just returned from my first Atlantis cruise I can assure you that the accounts given by the two passengers are totally untrue. My friends and I saw exactly what was going on and there were no clothes around and we needed no binoculars. The ship docked very close to shore and we noticed the two men without anyone even mentioning it to us. I was immediately offended and looked for ship officials or anyone to try to get the two men to take it inside their cabin. They were simply being exhibitionists. I don't think being gay had anything to do with the police action since a straight couple doing the same thing would have provoked the same reaction given how blatent the actions were.

My friends and I had a great time on Dominica and found everyone very friendly and welcoming. The island has great natural wonders that were the highlight of our week. It was disturbing that the actions of two idiots brought news coverage to the cruise and, by association, detracted from what was otherwise a really enjoyable week.

Finally some factual information. Thanks, RNRiggins. It is a shame that their actions offended not only the people in Dominica, but gay cruisers as well. I'm happy that you had a pleasant time even though that unpleasant experience didn't help. I suspect that they won't have another opportunity to offend on any future cruise, gay or mainstream.

As luck would have it, my partner and I have scheduled a vacation aboard the Celebrity Summit for early April and the ship will stop in Dominica.

Enjoy your cruise. As for Domenica, I would indeed stay on the ship. Don't spend a dime in a country that thinks buggery is immoral and illegal.

The ship was in Dominican waters, it does not matter where it is registered, it is subject to their laws. The passengers are also subject to the local laws.

Other passengers, on the Atlantis FB page, attest to the fact that this couple were having sex on their balcony and that many took photos.

That these two mis-represented what happened later proves only that they didn't think others would be taking pictures.

2000 people managed to get off the ship and return without being jailed. Mostly, I imagine, it was because they did not put on a show or break the law.

While I agree that Atlantis should do a little more research in choosing its ports, I think these fellows were their own undoing. Were they treated horribly, ashore? Yes, it seems they were. Would that have happened if they had stayed in their room to have sex, it would seem not.

You are with the Police are building a case against there 2 passengers

What is your motive? Why do you ignore the truth that they are being arrested for being gay ? Why should these 2 American passengers appolgize to the people of Dominica? You have then Guilty. Why?

You are with the Police are building a case against there 2 passengers

What is your motive? Why do you ignore the truth that they are being arrested for being gay ? Why should these 2 American passengers appolgize to the people of Dominica? You have then Guilty. Why?

If you think they were arrested for being gay can you explain why none of the two thousand other gay passengers were arrested or why others on the cruise claim to have pictures of these men having sex on their balcony on Atlantis Events FB page?

If you think they were arrested for being gay can you explain why none of the two thousand other gay passengers were arrested or why others on the cruise claim to have pictures of these men having sex on their balcony on Atlantis Events FB page?

SWeet. Arrest the whole ship. 2000. Gay guys.

They won the battle. 2 is enough for now

They won. Cheers!

Canada and Dominica are under the British commonwealth

Your laws are not the same as the United States Law

Your view of this incident is different from Americans

Enjoy your cruise. As for Domenica, I would indeed stay on the ship. Don't spend a dime in a country that thinks buggery is immoral and illegal.

Unfortunately that is over half the islands in the Caribbean. A lot are inhabited by the descendents of slaves brought from Africa to work the plantations and retain their African heritage in part. Witness the problems the Church of England (Episcopal in the US) is having with the African part of their communion.

Archived