BigKeith

Real Ale

Just found this board and seems the right place for me (The Pub)

Just a quick question, any real ale drinkers found a pint comparable to their local on any ship or is it impractical to install cask?

Big Keith

I've seen Old Speckled Hen- probably on Ventura, and I think there was something by Marstons....sorry, not an ale drinker.

NCL Jade had a range of European beers in one bar....more lager-y than beer-y possibly.

Jo.

They do bottled beers on the Eclipse, London pride is one,i think the rolling motion would do cask ales no good

They do bottled beers on the Eclipse, London pride is one,i think the rolling motion would do cask ales no good

Wonder how it would godown if they made a self levelling cellar a bit like the self levelling pool tables

Watch out for me on Dragons Den with this one...

Brilliant idea, BK- and my OH will be very grateful to you....:p

Jo.

I wish I could get real ale on a cruise ship. It would be a perfect holiday.

On Fred Olsen it is awful Boddingtons keg, bottted Spitfire or canned Bass. I usually alternate between the Spitfire and the Bass, having first checked to see whether the Boddingtons had improved.

Maybe you should book a round the UK cruise, complete with Good Beer Guide!

Edited by fairliered

There have been a few threads on the NCL board asking for craft beers - no luck yet though :(

Cask conditioned ales just would not make it at sea but bottles of London Pride; Hop Back Summer Lightning; Tanglefoot etc. would see me as one very happy cruiser!

Love the Dragon's Den idea!

I wish I could get real ale on a cruise ship. It would be a perfect holiday.

On Fred Olsen it is awful Boddingtons keg, bottted Spitfire or canned Bass. I usually alternate between the Spitfire and the Bass, having first checked to see whether the Boddingtons had improved.

Maybe you should book a round the UK cruise, complete with Good Beer Guide!

We did this trip on an American ship, and hoards of Brits seemed to be sitting outside pubs in each port, especially Invergordon, and Cobh.

The ale was good, and the prices better than on board.....:cool:

Jo.

Hi Keith. In my experience, real ale needs care and also the right conditions to ensure it is at the quality you and I would expect. I know that those on board, no matter how they will try, will not be able to look after it (right temperature, static position to prevent the beer becoming cloudy from the yeast at the bottom of the barrel going into suspension again) and also ensuring it is not left too long, thus going out of it's shelf life. I have not yet found a decent beer at a reasonable price and would love to know if anyone else has

Hello Keith,

I'm a big fan of real ale, and really miss it when I'm on a cruise. We're on a Med cruise on the Grand in June and my beer choices are limited to lager or cider. Hmmmmm. I shall be making the most of our stop in Gibraltar - there's a cracking bar on the main street that last time I was there served a very decent pint of Old Speckled Hen. It's our second port of seven so I'm going to have to drink an awful lot to see me right for the rest of the cruise! :D

Ah- Gibraltar!- now, that's a good way to spend a few hours there! Speckled hen on draught, eh?- Thanks! I'll pass the message to OH. :cool:

Jo.

We have done a few RCI Cruises and enjoyed some nice Beers in nice Bars, the last one we Cruised was the Explorer of the Seas, Amercian Ship. A nice little English Bar the Crown & Kettle NO English Beers only Cans for the Amerciam Market. Different story if you sail from a UK Port,

P&O serve a wide range of bottles, Spitfire, Speckled Hen, Pedigree etc. but last year on Ventura they must have not been able to get bottled Bass so had the cans instead. 500ml for £1.85(same as Bass 330 bottle), imagine....£2.00 a pint on a cruise ship, heaven. Had to ask for pint glass tho' (they supply smaller ones with bottles) and if they minded if I poured myself. Bass has no CO2 so has to be poured 'vigorously'. Nearest thing to a real draught I've found, my choice for home-drinking. On Azura on Sunday, I live in hope.

On all the Cruise Ships I have been on Real Ale has not been on sale. When it comes to beers etc the cruise lines are not very imaginative.

P&O do bottled real ale - ipa export - speckled hen - spitfire were available on oceana and ventura - may have been 1 or 2 others as well. I found it very drinkable but draft hen in Gib - damm missed that 1...

Only Draft travels on ships unfortunately - we had CSB (a pale ale)on the Navy's ships - lager cider and occasionally the black stuff for the senior rates and tins when a junior rate.....

Having worked in a pub for a number of years, real ale is not possible on a cruise ship, the sediment would make the beer cloudy. That is why most ships sell bottled beers like Spitfire, Speckled Hen, Green Label, Marston etc. If you want a good ale, the ports you visit will provide that, unfortunately the cruise lines can't:(

Having worked in a pub for a number of years, real ale is not possible on a cruise ship, the sediment would make the beer cloudy. That is why most ships sell bottled beers like Spitfire, Speckled Hen, Green Label, Marston etc. If you want a good ale, the ports you visit will provide that, unfortunately the cruise lines can't:(

That's slightly heartbreaking. Is there no way they could get it to work? What's makes it cloudy? Movement of the ship?

A couple of responses above have it correct.

Cask conditioned ale is full of (natural) elements like yeast sediment and hop residue which has to settle before it can be served and is totally unsuitable for a non stable platform.

Keg beer, on the other hand, is filtered several times over after the maturation process to remove suchlike.

Aussie One whilst not trying to be rude but you sent us Fosters so how can you comment on our Ale

And Castlemaine XXXX, which thankfully didn't last long......

Aussie One whilst not trying to be rude but you sent us Fosters so how can you comment on our Ale

Fosters is not sold in Aussie it's rubbish only pomes bye it

Fosters is not sold in Aussie it's rubbish only pomes bye it

Sorry should say buy it look on can for where its brewed ? but its not sold in oz