BigKeith

Real Ale

looks like p and o,s brittania is gonna become the ship of choice for lovers of decent beer well done them ,will start looking for a cruise onboard asap

I'll be checking that out next June :)

I wish P&O would put some real draught cider on their ships before I board Aurora and Oriana next year. Whilst their normal bottled/canned quaffers, Strongbow and Magners are normally available, nothing like a real cider, perhaps some scrumpy, or at least a Thatchers on tap.

Being a Coleliac - gluten intolerant, cider is my quaffer, together with vino and most spirits.

Much of this is outdated. It is possible to rack (transfer) real beer to small casks (often called keykegs) "bright" that is, without sediment. So the movement of the ship is irrelevant. I guess it is just too much trouble, which is a pity as bottled beer is no substitute for draught. Bottled is too fizzy for me, although stronger beers are better as they don't hold so much CO2.

My Understanding of "Bright " ale - having drunk a lot at a 3 day festival 2 years back is that it has a limited shelf life - not ideal for a cruise line trying to offer "consistency" in their service. they could be more adventurous with their bottled ale choices - however at least P&O have a decentish choice, an I'm not forced to drink lager all cruise when not on the wine at evening dinner...

Try a Cunard ship. They always have a good to great selection of draft and bottle beer/ale/IPA in the Golden Lion Pub. If they offer a beer tasting with a food pairing, sign up as soon as you can. The seats good fast

Try a Cunard ship. They always have a good to great selection of draft and bottle beer/ale/IPA in the Golden Lion Pub. If they offer a beer tasting with a food pairing, sign up as soon as you can. The seats good fast
They have some nice brews.:D

Going on Britannia soon so looking forward to an enhanced selection...

Here is the new beer offering from Princess. Currently on the Royal and they've had this menu a week. 

IMG_20190106_220815.jpg

Cant say I'm impressed with the "ale" offering there.. some nice beers thou...

Princess beer selection - Totally unimpressed, nearly all mass produced. No quality IPA's, no real ales and only stout/porter is Guinness.

Good point, at least they have more choices since our last Princess cruise.

On the West Coast, we are so spoiled with excellent beer choices, we never have to drink mass produced imitation beer. Our small town in the Vancouver suburbs has 4 small craft/micro breweries and in Metro Vancouver we have almost 100.

Yes, Vancouver is a wonderful place for boutique beers and I have sampled some but no where near enough. We try a new beer whenever we can but usually cruise lines limit themselves to beer companies that can meet the supply demands across the fleet so that eliminates many of the smaller breweries right of the bat. Then they would want them at a price that will suit the cruise line for resale and profit making.