BigKeith

Real Ale

Cant say I'm impressed with the "ale" offering there.. some nice beers thou...

Princess beer selection - Totally unimpressed, nearly all mass produced. No quality IPA's, no real ales and only stout/porter is Guinness.

Good point, at least they have more choices since our last Princess cruise.

On the West Coast, we are so spoiled with excellent beer choices, we never have to drink mass produced imitation beer. Our small town in the Vancouver suburbs has 4 small craft/micro breweries and in Metro Vancouver we have almost 100.

Yes, Vancouver is a wonderful place for boutique beers and I have sampled some but no where near enough. We try a new beer whenever we can but usually cruise lines limit themselves to beer companies that can meet the supply demands across the fleet so that eliminates many of the smaller breweries right of the bat. Then they would want them at a price that will suit the cruise line for resale and profit making.

Someone mentioned Elgoods a few years back on this thread, I was very surprised when I sailed on CMV's Magellan in 2016 to find Black Dog on sale in bottles. Imagine sailing all the way to Norway drinking a beer brewed by your nearest independent brewers! I've now book with CMV again and looking at the drinks list it seems Black Dog is a permanent fixture, along with the more obvious London Pride, Spitfire and Old Speckled Hen. See if I can drink the ship dry of it again.

Edited by 1900sr

7 hours ago, 1900sr said:

Someone mentioned Elgoods a few years back on this thread, I was very surprised when I sailed on CMV's Magellan in 2016 to find Black Dog on sale in bottles. Imagine sailing all the way to Norway drinking a beer brewed by your nearest independent brewers! I've now book with CMV again and looking at the drinks list it seems Black Dog is a permanent fixture, along with the more obvious London Pride, Spitfire and Old Speckled Hen. See if I can drink the ship dry of it again.

Nice for you, I like the speckled Hen, haven't tried the others. Good luck in your venture.

its only a shame that speckled hen on P&O seems to be in a can yet others are bottled.... Maybe they decided speckled hen tasted good enough in can they could save going to bottle..