Cruise Critic Community

First, my apologies if this has been asked - if you search on either of the above words, you get every post made on tapatalk on the iPad, the other brings up every request for a Compass.....

For the ships that have had iPads placed in every room, do they also still give you a printed compass? If not, will they give you a printed copy if you ask for one?

TIA,

Nat

First, my apologies if this has been asked - if you search on either of the above words, you get every post made on tapatalk on the iPad, the other brings up every request for a Compass.....

For the ships that have had iPads placed in every room, do they also still give you a printed compass? If not, will they give you a printed copy if you ask for one?

TIA,

Nat

I heard of ONE RCI ship, Allure, having iPod/iPhone docking stations in each cabin, but have never heard of any ship on any cruise line having an iPad in each cabin.

As the previous poster noted, ther is a docking station in the rooms on the Allure and Oasis but no i-pads. There is however, and electronic touch screen at the end of each hall where the elevator is, that works just like an I-pad screen. You should always get a printed compass each evening with the turn down service.

An iPad in every cabin? That's the plan at one cruise line

By Gene Sloan, USA TODAY Updated 11/25/2011

Should every cabin on a cruise ship come with an iPad? At least one major line is giving the idea a try.

Royal Caribbean this week announced it would have an iPad in every cabin of the 1,804-passenger Splendour of the Seas by mid-February in what it's billing as an industry first, and it'll add the Apple devices to the cabins of five more of its 22 ships within two years.

Royal Caribbean says the iPads will be programmed to let passengers access the ship's daily listing of events and activities and to see a personal daily itinerary including shore excursions. Passengers will be able to use the devices to monitor their onboard account, order room service, view restaurant menus, access the Internet and watch movies. In short, the iPads will act much like the interactive television systems found on many ships.

The five additional Royal Caribbean ships scheduled to get iPads in every cabin are all part of the line's Vision Class series and include Legend of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas and Vision of the Seas. All of the vessels are scheduled to undergo major revitalizations in dry dock over the next two years.

Royal Caribbean says passengers will be allowed to carry the iPads around the ships.

Edited by Longhorn Cruiser

Can't answer for definite whether a printed Compass will still be available on ships where iPads are provided.

However, thinking about it, I would not be suprised if delivery of a daily Compass to each cabin was stopped to save the great amount of paper used now and the associated printing costs and just provide some from areas around the ship.

Perhaps it will be like you now have to request ice from your stateroom attendant and then it is provided daily, the same will happen with the Compass.

Apparently the intention of the iPad is to provide:

"With the iPads, passengers will be able to

• Access the daily Cruise Compass of events and activities
  • Access personal daily itineraries, including shore excursions
  • Monitor their onboard account
  • Order room service
  • View restaurant menus
  • Access the internet
  • Watch movies

All of the features of the iPad will be complimentary, except for the Internet access."

I tend to agree that it helps them save paper. I, for one, will not be carrying the iPad around with me on Rhapsody in June, but that's why they have monitors throughout the ship with the schedule information.

I was just curious if anyone had used them yet. Someone asked the question on our roll call and it got me thinking....

Note to self: Do NOT use yellow highlighter on interesting events on daily Compass. :)

An iPad in every cabin? That's the plan at one cruise line

By Gene Sloan, USA TODAY Updated 11/25/2011

Should every cabin on a cruise ship come with an iPad? At least one major line is giving the idea a try.

Royal Caribbean this week announced it would have an iPad in every cabin of the 1,804-passenger Splendour of the Seas by mid-February in what it's billing as an industry first, and it'll add the Apple devices to the cabins of five more of its 22 ships within two years.

Royal Caribbean says the iPads will be programmed to let passengers access the ship's daily listing of events and activities and to see a personal daily itinerary including shore excursions. Passengers will be able to use the devices to monitor their on-board account, order room service, view restaurant menus, access the Internet and watch movies. In short, the iPads will act much like the interactive television systems found on many ships.

The five additional Royal Caribbean ships scheduled to get iPads in every cabin are all part of the line's Vision Class series and include Legend of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas and Vision of the Seas. All of the vessels are scheduled to undergo major revitalizations in dry dock over the next two years.

Royal Caribbean says passengers will be allowed to carry the iPads around the ships.

Are they serious? Do they come with insurance? I see someone sitting near the pool, and another person jumps in and splashes the iPad. OOPS!:eek: Or another person sets the iPad down next to his drink on a table, someone lese comes by and bumps the table, the drink spills. :eek:

Having them in the room is one thing, but allowing them to leave the room (and maybe even the ship) might be asking for trouble. Some (many?) people just won't be that careful with them. They didn't pay $500+ for one of them like people who bought there own did.

Edited by AlaskaGolden

There is a lot more potential for them. How about expanding the facial recognition system and linking photos to iPad for a cabin so you can flip through a rolodex of pictures and select for prints (or disc). better than viewing on TV because you could zoom.

If they stop printing Compass I would hope they could put them on the photo CD as PDF or make them available for download that way. I refer to my old ones pretty frequently.

There will always be the cruisers who don't or won't use computers, much less iPads. My mom is one of these. She doesn't have the foggiest idea how to use a computer, and she is 83 and has no interest in learing. I always travel with my own, and will probably to continue to do so. I am just excited that RCCL is putting wi-fi in all the cabins.

I am also guessing that you will be able to request from your steward to receive paper copies of the Compass. Just tell him/her at the beginning of the cruise when they come in to meet you.

I hope they do not do away with the paper, I like to save them from a cruise. Would like to have them since this will be first time on RCCL.

We just got off the Splendour, which I think was the first Royal Caribbean ship to have iPads in the staterooms. They haven't been deployed. The iPads are in storage on the ship, but there have been technical glitches preventing them from putting them in the cabins. They plan to bring on some geeks when they reposition to Europe for the summer season...stay tuned!

No ipads in my cabin on the Splendour in August, we were given daily Compasses on paper

Apparently when the Compass is on iPad there will still be paper versions printed that will be available at Guest Services

Hey!

any updates on the iPad deployment?

Thanks,

Meerkat

Hi. I've been trying to find info on this for our upcoming Legend cruise.

All the Vision class ships were meant to have iPads installed in every stateroom during their revitalizations (Completed by 2014).

Unfortunately iPad rollout appears to have been scrapped. They are only available in select suite staterooms.

They are currently swapped out for a fresh one that has been 'refreshed' at the end of each cruise. This is done to ensure any photos or changes made by the previous guest aren't seen by the next guest.

While this operation is sufficient for now, it is reported that the cruise line wants to eliminate offering iPads and instead develop apps for guest use that will work on ALL devices, including iPads, Kindles and Android.

I guess this makes more sense.

Royal Caribbean Blog iPad

Edited by icsys

Yes. The so-called IPAD revolution seems to have been slowed. It was amazing seeing how many news outlets picked up on RCI's original press release on this issue in 2011. That is why it was odd to see how quickly it faded and was never discussed again until now.

I don't think RCI realised the implications of an iPad in every stateroom...

Clearing content from those iPads is critical -- who knows what pictures a guest might leave on one of them, right?

Royal Caribbean wants to make sure it wipes each iPad clean. And there isn't a lot of time to get it done. When a ship pulls in, 3,000 to 6,000 people come off and the crew has nine hours or less to get it ready for the next several thousand guests.

Thus the swap-out, which the cleaning crews do as part of their "very, very well defined" process for refreshing rooms, CIO Bill Martin says. The "used" iPads are taken to an onshore IT office, where they're completely re-imaged. It's an efficient operation, but "it's also why long term we'll get out of the hardware business and make this an app," Martin says. That is, in the coming years most people will just get these services using an app on their own device.

For some reason the link in the previous post is blocked:

Replace *********** with .royal caribbean blog. (no gaps)

Edited by icsys

I don't think RCI realised the implications of an iPad in every stateroom...

For some reason the link in the previous post is blocked:

Replace *********** with .royal caribbean blog. (no gaps)

The reason is the blog is run by a Travel agent and also is a BB!:eek: Edited by FLACRUISER99

Krazt4Kruizen I can fully understand your Mother not wanting to learn, they can be overwhelming especially if you have never used one. I will admit I was hesitant about getting one and am comfortable with computers. I like the app idea, seems more practical then trying to supply one in each room.

Just when we thought the billing errors for non-returned pool towels was getting out of hand...............:rolleyes:

Yes. The so-called IPAD revolution seems to have been slowed. It was amazing seeing how many news outlets picked up on RCI's original press release on this issue in 2011. That is why it was odd to see how quickly it faded and was never discussed again until now.

I don't see the point of RCI providing the iPads when just about everyone has one of their own. Providing an iPad app (and an app for those with other devices) for use onboard makes much more sense.

Edited by Charles4515

Charles my worry in providing an IPad to all passengers, 1. not everyone has an IPad and wouldn't know how to use one, 2. The caring for the device. It would be more practical to provide an app for those who have their own as you say. I just got my first one less then a month ago and although I am becoming more comfortable in using it, I know my way around a Computer a lot better, yet a laptop would be much heavier to haul around along with your camera then the IPad

Edited by Desert Cruizers