Does NCL provide any perks for a M & G Organizer?

dongordon

Why would you expect any perks from the cruise line when in reality the m&g is for you and the others to benefit to do whatever,but for me it's about organizing excursions OFF ship which of course the monies are not going into the cruiselines pocket.

The other cruisers of the m&g are going to spend the monies anyway unless you consider a slot huge revenues for the cruise line.

Why would you expect any perks from the cruise line when in reality the m&g is for you and the others .

I have to agree. NCL unlike RCI does not have a contract with CC to provide a formal meet and mingle. I have set up at least a dozen M&Gs and expected nothing. How much work is it to send a couple of emails. Sure many others on the roll call pull together some group activities or tours but the organizer has the easiest job. The group coordinator onboard does all the real work, securing the space, making sure we have refreshments, and most important getting the senior staff members to the event.

All that said many have gotten perks out of the goodness of the HDs hearts.

It was an honor to do it. Hosted my first CC M&G. Already in a suite. No biggie. Brought a gift for each attendee and had several door prizes as well. I am a "giver" so I loved it.

I'm co-hosting a M&M on an upcoming Gem cruise. I'm interested to learn what you brought as gift for the attendees, and what you offered as door prizes.

Best regards,

Ned aka CTCruiseMan1

I have to agree. NCL unlike RCI does not have a contract with CC to provide a formal meet and mingle. I have set up at least a dozen M&Gs and expected nothing. How much work is it to send a couple of emails. Sure many others on the roll call pull together some group activities or tours but the organizer has the easiest job. The group coordinator onboard does all the real work, securing the space, making sure we have refreshments, and most important getting the senior staff members to the event.

All that said many have gotten perks out of the goodness of the HDs hearts.

I'm so glad you posted this info about the contract! At the Meet & Mingle I went to in January on the RCCL Explorer, all attendees were given badge holders for their room keys (the badges included a pad of paper and pen and additional pockets as I recall) and many won door prizes, ranging from free internet service to wine and logo items; I won a cap which helped hide my "ocean hair" on my way back to the ship!). Lots of food and drink and crew. I have yet to attend a M&G on an NCL ship but have a few cruises booked so I look forward to doing so in the future.

First time I organized a M&G we went to board and were directed to the VIP area. We were in a balcony cabin and I told them there was a mistake...we were not VIP. They just said, yes you are. I had no clue as to why but hey, wasn't going to argue. We received tons of perks throughout the cruise including concierge service, priorty everything, invite to dinner with the hotel director etc. It was not until towards the end of the cruise I figured out it was because I had organized the M&G. I have done it on 4 cruises since then and haven't received a thing. So it is definitely up to the hotel director on each ship.

Edited by CruisnGram

I belong to CC to enjoy meeting people and obtaining info relating to a specific cruise...As far as NCL they seem to attend to CC quite well. They worked with us at setting an M&G. We also had an area set aside for a group meal one evening. They gave us a free drink coupon at the slot pull, a galley tour, a bridge tour, and always sat us where we asked for meals. In short I've always enjoyed cruising as a part of CC, I do it for the enjoyment not for the "freebees" and even though I never was the organizer I did organize some activities. I always found NCL did their best...after all many CC members post cruise and ship reviews and potential cruises often decide based on what they read. I've also had very positive experiances on Celebrity.:)

• 3 years later...

We have a small group of people on the NCL Jewel to Alaska Sept, 5th to 12th but so far nobody has taken initiative to start a formal meet and greet. My question is if I decide to be the one that takes charge and do this, who do I need to contact to get this started and to coordinate with? If you could give me specific contact information that would be helpful as well.

We have a small group of people on the NCL Jewel to Alaska Sept, 5th to 12th but so far nobody has taken initiative to start a formal meet and greet. My question is if I decide to be the one that takes charge and do this, who do I need to contact to get this started and to coordinate with? If you could give me specific contact information that would be helpful as well.

On Cruise Critic Main page under Community it says Meet and Greet. It will explain how it works.

Hi I'm organizing one for the breakaway and the star

For the jewel you would contact

Specialeventsjewel@ncl.com

Tell them you are organizing a M&G for what sailing. They will tell you when and where it will be held (usually 1st sea day). They will ask how many will be attending but u won't know that number until right before sailing so get back to them with that. Also have your reservation number included in the email

Good luck and happy cruising

Geri

Hi I'm organizing one for the breakaway and the star

For the jewel you would contact

Specialeventsjewel@ncl.com

Tell them you are organizing a M&G for what sailing. They will tell you when and where it will be held (usually 1st sea day). They will ask how many will be attending but u won't know that number until right before sailing so get back to them with that. Also have your reservation number included in the email

Good luck and happy cruising

Geri

Thanks FBP. Exact info I am looking for.

I believe NCL used to be very generous to passengers who took charge of Meet & Greets, until folks started hosting M&G's for the sole purpose of "getting stuff." I remember several years ago on the Spirit the M&G coordinator received many gifts: from daily food treats, to ship tours, to priority debarkation at ports, etc. Well deserved, she was so good at that sort of thing! She spent a lot of time writing thank you notes.

But I think people's greed put an end to that.

I believe NCL used to be very generous to passengers who took charge of Meet & Greets, until folks started hosting M&G's for the sole purpose of "getting stuff." I remember several years ago on the Spirit the M&G coordinator received many gifts: from daily food treats, to ship tours, to priority debarkation at ports, etc. Well deserved, she was so good at that sort of thing! She spent a lot of time writing thank you notes.

But I think people's greed put an end to that.

I'll have to agree with that. Add to what you said above....that some posted here what 'perk(s)' they did get and everyone now wants to be in charge of the M&G. LOL

As I said before.......if you wish to be in charge of a M&G, as I do, do it because it's something you enjoy doing. That should be your only reason.....as it's been mine for the last 5 years I was able to host one.

Harriet

I don't organize the meet and greets for any type of perks, I do it because I have the time and I enjoy doing the organizing and meeting new people. I've organized 15+ Meet and Greets in the past on NCL, and have quite a few more in the works.

NCL does as much, if not more, than other cruise lines as far as the Meet and Greets go. They provide the meeting space, send down some of the top officers to chat, and most of the time provide coffee/juice and snacks.

The way I see it, the officers on the ship don't mind doing this and getting the opportunity to meet with the cruisers and get some feedback....and to also encourge the group to let them know of any issues on the ship and handle them on the ship instead of coming back to the internet and posting about the problems and not giving them a chance to correct the issue on the ship.

Margaret:)

And YOU do a terrific job @ M & G's . :D:D:D

With the sailor's help of course . ;)

I organized one M&G on the Pearl and did receive a few perks - Had bubbly and a fruit basket from the captain in my cabin when we arrived and each day had a different treat delievered from various officers. We were invited to the VIP reception that the suite passengers are invited to. We also had a certificate for priority tendering. The year before the organizer of the M&G on the Dawn seemed to have similar perks but also I remember her reporting that she had priority boarding and breakfast/lunch at Cagney's. So it seems to depend on the ship events coordinator or, perhaps, hotel director. I did ask why I received them, however, and was told it was the events coordinator who offered them.

In my case it could have occurred because there were some scheduling problems between the land events coordintor and the one on the ship. They had really messed up. But nonetheless, the little treats every day were fun. I did not expect any perks at all and did not even consider them as a reason to coordinate the meet and greet. And from what others had said, it's more likely you get nothing but smiles in the hallways.

As I said before, that's one reason they stopped. People kept telling everybody on a cruise critic and then everybody under the sun and wants to host a meet and greet. Thanks for sharing!

Harriet

I had thought that might have been why some roll calls got "ugly" around hosting. It really didn't matter to me, but it did seem to matter greatly to others.

I had thought that might have been why some roll calls got "ugly" around hosting. It really didn't matter to me, but it did seem to matter greatly to others.

I just hope people didn't see what perks you got and expect the same

Harriet

:)

I think it depends on the hotel director and how full the ship is (in particular the suites). I co-organized one in Nov. 2010 on the Pearl. We were quite suprised to be taken from the check-in desk over to VIP check-in. Truthfully I had no idea what was ging on (it was not explained to us why) so I just assumed that we were getting early boarding. Once on-board, we were give the whole VIP shpiel by Carlos Zarate the concierge (Lunch and breakfast at Cagneys, VIP debarkation, etc, etc) . Stupid me went up to him and said, Excuse me sir, I think there has been a mistake, we are not VIPs. He said, Maam, you are our very special guests this week. Do not question it, just enjoy!

It took me a few hours to put 2+2 together and realized that it was because of the M&G (it came to together when I saw the other organizer in Cagneys with us!)

We also got Champagne from the Captain, invited to a special cocktail party that was hosted in the 3 bedroom Garden Villa (wow!), got canapes each night, and VIP debarkation and tendering.

I do not think this is the norm at all, but perhaps because we were sailing under capacity (I think the hotel director said we were at 93%).

Basically, I would not expect anything but it certainly was a nice surpise!

That is SO Carlos....

I beg to differ. They do not feel as though this is an obligation. They welcome CCers with open arms.

To answer the original question...it all depends on the Hotel Director. I have received free dinners in the past and have also not received anything for organizing meet and greets.

I totally agree with you. Of all the lines we have cruised NCL does the best job with the M&G meeting or meetings. I too have organized many and I do not do it to get a perk or two. Have I gotten them? Yes, but not always. Sometimes we get VIP treatment, occassionally a free meal or a bottle of wine and a snack of two from the hotel director. I don't think anyone who agrees to head up the M&G should expect any special treatment. Some of us have time to do these things, others do not. I hope this answers the OPs question and the question overall.

The more discussion there is on this topic, the less discretion the HD will have to offer special recognition to CCers. I cringe each time I see this topic brought up. I fail to understand why someone would ask this question . . . Even more I fail to understand why folks would reply in detail about their experience.

Was it Dear Abby or Ann Landers that said MYOB?

Organizing a M & G can be a busy job.

I have had some great organizers of our M & G on NCL cruises.

Just curious if NCL (or any other cruise line) provides any perks to those that take on this responsibility (e.g. free dinner at a specialty restaurant or a free spa treatment)?

LOL

Why should they? I'm willing to bet they think its one big PITA for them, but no one from NCL would ever say it. Their people don't have enough to do, now the need to set up a special room to meet people, have the hotel director and other people show up etc....

I've hosted and organised many of these with friends. We don't expect anything other than the opportunity to meet the people we've been communicating with for many months

It takes a lot of work to do it, make name tags etc and sometimes you've to improvise when the printer has decided it's having a day off. We have loved doing the xmas gift exchanges etc

If someone has already offered on the roll call then that's great

There are people whoever who think they are going to get lots of perks and my DH won't do them anymore after one poster decided they wanted to take it over and wanted people to vote on who should do it, so we let them have it as they were so desperate. They even said they wanted it because they wanted the perks (what perks we said)

I did the last ncl cruise we did and DH wasn't going to come but did just to support me. I think it will be the last.

The ship lays on food etc and when 70 people put their name down and 14 show up as the timing clashes with bingo, the backstage tour for platinum etc it's a lot of work for the no shows and wasted food