Anyone take "free" cruise to listen to timeshare presentation

welovecruzin

Vacation club/timeshare company is offering a 6 day 5 night cruise on either Carnival or Royal "free". Anyone out there done this. I know I will pay port charges and tips plus transportation to and from the ship. We usually cruise RC every five years or so. We were not going to go this time because of $$. This sounds like a way to be able to to it.

Any advice???

It's a scam. Lots of discussion on this board about it a few months ago.

My husband and I went, figured nothing to lose, but an hour on a Sunday afternoon.

You listen to the presentation, then your counselor tries the sell. If you aren't interested, they go get their supervisor and he tries the sell. If you still aren't interested, they take you to a back corner to wait for the person that will give you your "free cruise certificate". They make a big production of having you sign a receipt that you did indeed receive your "free cruise certificate". Ended up being there for 4 hours while they were trying to hard sell.

Started reading the certificate on the way home. You have to call another company (in Florida I think) to redeem the certificate, and pay $98 for the service. Then you have to pay port fees and taxes on top of that.

Other posters were reporting they could never get the cruise they wanted out of a port they wanted, there was always some sort of hitch, I think there was one poster that did actually get to take the cruise.

I tried to report it to my State Attorney General and they replied there was really nothing they could do to the Timeshare/Vacation Club as they weren't really doing anything illegal (might be unethical), but they did give you the "free cruise certificate".

So beware!:eek:

It's a scam. Lots of discussion on this board about it a few months ago.

My husband and I went, figured nothing to lose, but an hour on a Sunday afternoon.

You listen to the presentation, then your counselor tries the sell. If you aren't interested, they go get their supervisor and he tries the sell. If you still aren't interested, they take you to a back corner to wait for the person that will give you your "free cruise certificate". They make a big production of having you sign a receipt that you did indeed receive your "free cruise certificate". Ended up being there for 4 hours while they were trying to hard sell.

Started reading the certificate on the way home. You have to call another company (in Florida I think) to redeem the certificate, and pay $98 for the service. Then you have to pay port fees and taxes on top of that.

Other posters were reporting they could never get the cruise they wanted out of a port they wanted, there was always some sort of hitch, I think there was one poster that did actually get to take the cruise.

I tried to report it to my State Attorney General and they replied there was really nothing they could do to the Timeshare/Vacation Club as they weren't really doing anything illegal (might be unethical), but they did give you the "free cruise certificate".

So beware!:eek:

thanks for posting your experience.........we get calls like this all the time and I just laugh at them.........figured it was something like this. This information needed to get out......thanks for sharing it.

On another board, I heard about a couple who loved to go to time share presentations and "get in a fight" in front of the salesmen. Who would do anything to get them to leave.

First stage was to sit thru the presentation.

Then during the sales speech, the husband would say, "this sounds like a good idea for weekend getaways".

The wife would respond, "yeah for you and that new "secretary" of yours. You know the one with the big chest"

And it would continue like this for about 15 minutes. All the while the salesman is getting very uncomfortable. Then he would bring in the supervisor, and the super would start getting uncomfortable.

So, with practice they were able to get into the sales presentation and out with whatever gift there was in about and hour and a half.

They used this to take vacations all over the world.

Vacation club/timeshare company is offering a 6 day 5 night cruise on either Carnival or Royal "free". Anyone out there done this. I know I will pay port charges and tips plus transportation to and from the ship. We usually cruise RC every five years or so. We were not going to go this time because of $$. This sounds like a way to be able to to it.

Any advice???

Yeah, it's a scam.

We "won" a "free," one-week holiday for listening to a presentation. It turned out that the holiday was to be in Goa, India, and we had to get ourselves there.

In spite of what they say at the presentations, timeshares are not a good buy. You have annual maintanance fees to pay, in addition to a subscription to the timeshare company, and timeshare exchanges are seldom available for the dates and places that you choose.

Had a similar experience sitting thru a presentation from a home furnishing buying club. Was promised a free 'tablet computer' and $500. restaurant certificate. When it was time to go, after repeatedly turning down the exorbitant membership fee, was told they had 'run out' of the promised gifts, but would call me when they came in.....that was over two months ago.....:rolleyes:

Any advice???

Anytime someone you do not know offers you something for nothing, you are about to be robbed.

And if you think you can outsmart them, think again.

On another board, I heard about a couple who loved to go to time share presentations and "get in a fight" in front of the salesmen. Who would do anything to get them to leave.

Then during the sales speech, the husband would say, "this sounds like a good idea for weekend getaways".

The wife would respond, "yeah for you and that new "secretary" of yours. You know the one with the big chest"

And it would continue like this for about 15 minutes. All the while the salesman is getting very uncomfortable. Then he would bring in the supervisor, and the super would start getting uncomfortable.

So, with practice they were able to get into the sales presentation and out with whatever gift there was in about and hour and a half.

Leaves me breathless.......

The extent people will go to in order to get something for nothing.

That's humiliating to themselves and disrespectful to everyone who had to witness that display.

Shame on them.

IMO

Scammers scamming the scammers. :rolleyes:

There is NO FREE.

Be SURE you fully understand what they are not saying as well as what they do say.

BE CAREFUL>

Gosh.:(

Next you'll tell me bunnies don't lay chocolate eggs! :eek:

Timeshares can be a deal if you know how to go about getting them, and sitting through a presentation and buying from the company isn't the way. Ebay is the way. Tons of people who have bought timeshares over the years, have passed on and their families have no use for the things, so they sell them on ebay. My parents have bought tons on there to accumulate the points in the particular program they belong to, and they paid less than $100 for each, and then they have their annual fee on each week. They use the points for 10 weeks in Florida each winter, and it's costs them less than $5000 each year for the both of them.

They aren't locked into a property or a specific week per property. They just use their points for whatever level they are at in the program to get them the right number of weeks and figure out the locations based on that. 8 of their weeks are at the same place in Daytona, and they just can't be there bike week or race week.

I'd rather ride cross country on a Greyhound bus.

If you can't afford a vacation, have a staycation. Have a cleaning service come in and clean your house the first day, eat out or have a catering company bring in your meals, visit local attractions you've always been planning on visiting, schedule a masseuse to come in and give you massages, check into a local hotel with a nice pool for a few days, hire a car service to drive you to dinner and then back home, or any combination of them.

• 6 months later...

My husband and I actually did a timeshare several years ago(2008) and got a free cruise, and we used it with success. We choose a wkend in Sept, which is noteably NOT a popular month for crusing due to hurricane season. We got a 4 nt cruise to the bahamas on royal carribean. We paid port fees and tax, which I believe ended up costing about 125 for eveything. It worked out great for us. The timeshare we toured was in Hilton Head, SC and a reputable timeshare company. We werent even sure it would actually work out ,but we were pleasantly surprised. Three weeks out, we had to change the date of our cruise and that was a pain, but I believe it would be pain no matter what. All in all, worked out great!

Every once in a while, we get a postcard from a "vacation club" with the Carnival logo. I'm sure many people think it's from the cruiseline. The card goes right into the recycling bin.

I remember 60 Minutes did a story on vacation scams. The type that require you to get the tickets COD and/or pay for the flights through a specific TA. Often what they're selling as a cruise is really just a short (few hours) cruise and a hotel stay in a dump.

It's easy for us to scoff at the gullible fools who get sucked into these scams but obviously there are a lot of such people out there or these shonky operators wouldn't bother with their elaborate schemes.

For awhile we used to get those postcards all the time.

We just threw away those postcards.

For a few years, we were constantly getting approached on St Maarten to go out to a place and check out their timeshare offers. No free cruise offers. Nor did we even go to them.

On another travel board, when someone started a discussion on what expensive impulse purchases people had made on trips, a couple of poeple answered "Timeshares". I'm sure that 99% of people go in with the idesa that they'll listen to the presentation and get the free gift and leave, but that more than 1% end up buying, or it wouldn't be worthwhile. So, you're also taking the chance that you may cave in and, as earlier posters have noted, the best way to buy a timeshare is from someone who owns it and is desperate to get rid of it.

Archived