CCL ship seized?

bhanback

This is all hard to believe, but it does appear to be legit. I wonder if the lawyers for the plaintiff did some research, and felt they had a better chance of winning if the lawsuit was filed in Texas?

I've always been under the impression that any lawsuits filed against Carnival had to be filed in the state of Florida, but I could be wrong. I wonder how long this will go before a judge dismisses it?

I think it is already in Federal Court (Galveston District), which will be appealed to the US Supreme Court eventually.

There obviously is a reason (unknown) of why Galveston and the Triumph. Maybe Perry is going to re-enter? The whole thing is bizarre beyond stupid.

well, it is true - there was an order and warrant issued today. But I'm not completely certain of the language in the order and warrant. The warrant states that paperwork is to be served and the order does state that the vessel can move from berth to berth.....this is getting more and more disheartening. I hope people cruising this weekend don't have issues. Certainly CCL has attorneys/beards in route to Galveston to meet the marshall in the morning when they serve the paperwork.....

Can I upload PDF docs here?

ETA if I can't upload PDFs I can make JPGs but that will take a little bit of time.

You can upload it to google docs free, then change the privacy setting to "anyone with the link"

I know there have been other lawsuits filed by attorneys in other states against Carnival so maybe this is an attorney that decided to take a shot at filing a suit in Texas to see what happens. There are many lawsuits filed every day and many of them have no merit and are dismissed.

If the reason for "arresting" the ship is to guarantee payment if they win the suit, I would think it would be a non issue since Carnival is going no where and from a financial stand point they are healthy, even with the lost of the Concordia and it's income.

Do we even know if the German tourist that died was actually on the Concordia and indeed did die?

She did. I googled her name, she was the 17th found.

Isn't there something like CCL could post a bond or something in exchange (instead of) for the ship's seizure?

Like, this gets their attention and then CCL has to put some money in escrow or something in case the plaintiffs win...

(I see ferfoodle mentioned a bond as well... Cross posted)

Thpey an get an injunction against the warrent... (this was originally filed 3/2, then

refiled 3/30

:eek::eek: How do you arrest a ship?

What will happen to the pax currently on board? Will they be let out? How about the next batch of pax? Will they be able to sail as planned?

The ship disembarks tomorrow and was set to sail, but the question of IF they will sail or not is up in the air.

Since this is federal, I would assume it can be seized if it ports elsewhere, correct? I dont think CCL is stupid enough to try, anyway.

:eek::eek: How do you arrest a ship?

What will happen to the pax currently on board? Will they be let out? How about the next batch of pax? Will they be able to sail as planned?

You arrest a ship the same way you arrest a person. US Marshall shows up and says "Dont move you are under arrest."

The news story says the passengers onboard will be free to go, but i assume the next batch will be delayed. I am sure the Carnival lawyers will swing into action but seeing the next two days are weekends who knows how long the ship will be held.

How come this hasn't shown up on MSN? Or CNN? It seems like this would have made national news, especially coming out of Texas. I need more info! Details please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you scroll up the page you can see the documents and aresst warrant

"The Carnival Triumph will be allowed to unload passengers and cargo and move between berths within the port until a “prompt hearing” can be scheduled, at which “the plaintiff shall be required to show why the attachment and garnishment should not be vacated,” according to the order."

The order says that the ship can only move within the port of Galveston. It does say that it can unload and load passengers though, so hopefully Carnival lets them know what is going on and doesn't load them up and sail them around the port until they get it cleared up. lol

The order says that the ship can only move within the port of Galveston. It does say that it can unload and load passengers though, so hopefully Carnival lets them know what is going on and doesn't load them up and sail them around the port until they get it cleared up. lol

It says they can unload passengers and cargo and move from berth to berth. Cant bring passengers on board.

Archived