Cruise Critic Community
djandbj

Athens tour company

We used Private Greece Tours both last September for our Athens tour and again in early May this year. Both experiences were excellent. Last year was our first visit to Athens and our driver Alex, along with our guide Villeas did a wonderful job of showing us the city. They both were very knowledgeable and made the trip so much better than if we had been on our own.

Any thoughts driver vs driver & guide on private tours: better experience with the addition of a guide or could the tour have been just as good with only the driver?

Did you see the Acropolis museum as well?

What was the cost of your half day tour?

I Plan to take a private Athens shore excursion in October.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Just keep in mind that these are drivers only, not licensed tour guides, and are not permitted to enter the sights with you. They have no formal training at all.

Edited by CintiPam

We booked a tour of Athens with PrivateGreeceTours (Sept. 2014). My inquiry & other emails were answered promptly by Nikos Loukis. Our driver, Makis, was waiting at the spot described in our instructions. He shared his considerable knowledge of Athens and Greek history with us on the way to the Acropolis and had pictures of the temple ruins with overlays to show how each probably looked in its heyday. When we returned to the car, he had a bottle of nice cold water waiting for us!! Each place we visited was wonderful and Makis gave the background info to really appreciate what we saw. When we decided we were too tired to go the last stop on our tour, he quickly suggested other things that would not require so much walking and returned us to the ship at the agreed upon time. Makis is very personable and knowledgeable and speaks very good english. You can't go wrong with him as your guide. This tour was the highlight of our cruise!! I still can't believe how much of Athens Makis showed us in one day!

We have just returned from a wonder Greek cruise, but the highlight for us was our Athens tour with this company and their driver Elias. He took us everywhere and was very knowledgeable. I would highly recommend them and wish hopefully use them again in the future as Athens was such a lovely city.

Earlier this month, my siblings and I sent our parents on a cruise to celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary. Since their cruise ship departed from Athens, we decided to fly them into Athens a couple of days in advance to explore the city before their cruise started. I wanted to find them a tour or excursion package that would be as easy for them to navigate as possible since this was their first trip abroad in over 15 years. That's when we found Private Greece Tours. I was blown away by how many positive reviews they had on TripAdvisor and wondered if they were just too good to be true. However, I quickly found out that Private Greece Tours lives up to all of the positive 5 star reviews. Nikos was our main point of contact throughout the booking process. He responded to every single one of my emails (and trust me, I sent him a ton of questions...) very promptly and professionally. He even helped me select an excellent hotel in Athens within our budget! My parents later told me that their two Private Greece Tours was one of the highlights of their trip! Their driver Makis was punctual both mornings for pick-up - he showed up right at their hotel entrance when he said he would. He was incredibly courteous and would check-in with them to ensure that they had enough refreshments and water throughout the trip. He was flexible and attentive to what they wanted out of the tour, and he was very knowledgeable. My parents said that they literally just sat back and enjoyed the tour without a single worry about anything else. I am 100% fully satisfied with the service that Nikos and Makis provided us, and we felt that our money was very well spent. I would absolutely recommend Private Greece Tours. There's no need to search any further for your touring needs in Athens!

Did you see the Acropolis museum as well?

What was the cost of your half day tour?

I Plan to take a private Athens shore excursion in October.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

We used PK Travel Tours, half day private tour. Used the referrals from this board. If you do a search you can see all the remarks. Go to the PKTravelGreece website, there is a complete listing. They will offer you a quote.

Many on this forum suggest to book a tour with just a driver. As far as I understand these drivers have good historical background and quite knowledgeable. That’s OK. When I was booking my first cruise (it was Baltic) and was choosing a tour company for St. Petersburg/Russia I wanted to have a guide-driver. All the companies I was in correspondence with refused to provide such service. All had the same explanation – it’s not safe to drive and guide at the same time…. Any thought….????? Will it be safe in Greece? Thank you!

Jess :)

Many on this forum suggest to book a tour with just a driver. As far as I understand these drivers have good historical background and quite knowledgeable. That’s OK. When I was booking my first cruise (it was Baltic) and was choosing a tour company for St. Petersburg/Russia I wanted to have a guide-driver. All the companies I was in correspondence with refused to provide such service. All had the same explanation – it’s not safe to drive and guide at the same time…. Any thought….????? Will it be safe in Greece? Thank you!

Jess :)

St Petersburg is totally different than Athens. I've been to both. The most important thing is that in SPB the tour company has a special visa for you that requires them to accompany you with a licensed guide. If you don't have the guide, and you are a U.S. Citizen then you can't travel in Russia without applying for an individual tourist visa. No tourist visa is needed for American citizens in Greece

It is very safe in Greece. Tourism is really the only thing they have now that provides jobs. The Greek government does all to protect that. The Greek people on the most part appreciate the tourists and are very friendly

We just returned from a fantastic tour in Athens with vassilios who owns Athens tours. This was a private taxi tour in a well kept Mercedes. Vassilios was very knowledgeable about all the stops and had streaming video in the taxi to show us snippets of each stop before we got there. We did not feel the need for an added guide. He provided a guidebook, reviewed things we should see before we arrived at the site and had a wealth of knowledge about Greece and Athens. He also got us to the Acropolis early so that we were at the top with only about 20 other people. Much better than the group tours that were crowding their way up when we were leaving. What I loved about vassilios compared to other tour companies is that it was like seeing Athens with a trusted family member. He took us to out of the way places, a great small restaurant for lunch and provided wonderful insights about living in Greece. His prices were very reasonable and less then the other private tour companies frequently recommended here. Please note that there are many tour companies with similar names. His is Vassilios at athenstours.gr

We just got back from a 14 day cruise and used Fotis Kolliris - Private Taxi Tours in Athens. We have been using Fotis for the past 17 years and he always surprises us with something new and exciting to do. He is always at the port waiting for us with a big smile on his face. He knows everything there is to know about the city, sites and outlying areas. We could not imagine a day in Athens without him.

Our family of 5 used Private Greece ours before starting our cruise last summer. I can’t say enough about this company! To start with, correspondence with Nikos was quick and effortless. He answered all of our questions, giving us all the information we needed. His answers were very detailed so there were no unpleasant surprises!

We toured Athens – we were picked up from the airport after a long flight and then we were dropped off at our hotel so we combined a pick-up and a tour.

The driver met us at the airport with a smile, helped us with our luggage and then we were off to visit the city.He kept the children engaged and they had so much fun!! He was a wealth of information, sharing stories about Greece’s past and present, emphasizing mythology and history. The driver can’t enter the archaeological sites, but we did not feel that we needed to have someone in the sites with us.

We were so happy with Private Greece Tours that we booked a second tour, the next day, to visit Delphi which the whole family hugely enjoyed.

All in all, a great company which we would definitely recommend!

Ladies and Gentlemen, if you are going to spend time in Athens, you have to use “Private Greece Tours”...(ask for Sakis)!!! Athens was one of the stops we had on our cruise. We hired a tour, “Private Greece Tours” and were very satisfied with the service we received. Our driver, Sakis was exceptional. He was prompt, well dressed and his car was very clean. Not only did he drive us around Athens, he also engaged our teenage daughter into all of the conversations. We spent 7 hours with Sakis. And we choose what we wanted to see and where we wanted to go. Before we went in to look at any of the sights. He would give us a full back story into each location. Full with an iPad and laminated photos of before and now. Sakis had cold bottles of water for us at every stop. He also supplied us with a cell phone with his number in it. So, when we were ready to leave an exhibit, we could call him, and he would be right there to pick us up. And into his air conditioned Mercedes, we would go. I loved not having to wait for a big tour group to finish, and get into a big bus. Sakis knew how to time our whole trip. We even got to see a changing of the guard ritual at the perfect time. Sakis was not only a driver and a tour guide, he also played the role of bodyguard for our daughter, who was approached by an aggressive street gypsy. We saw the Acropolis, the Parthenon, Olympic Stadium, changing of the guard at the Royal Palace, had lunch in Plaka, visited the markets, went up to the highest point in Athens, and visited the museums...just to name a few.

Overall, we had an excellent adventure, thanks to Sakis and “Private Greece Tours”

Ladies and Gentlemen, if you are going to spend time in Athens, you have to use “Private Greece Tours”...(ask for Sakis)!!! Athens was one of the stops we had on our cruise. We hired a tour, “Private Greece Tours” and were very satisfied with the service we received. Our driver, Sakis was exceptional. He was prompt, well dressed and his car was very clean. Not only did he drive us around Athens, he also engaged our teenage daughter into all of the conversations. We spent 7 hours with Sakis. And we choose what we wanted to see and where we wanted to go. Before we went in to look at any of the sights. He would give us a full back story into each location. Full with an iPad and laminated photos of before and now. Sakis had cold bottles of water for us at every stop. He also supplied us with a cell phone with his number in it. So, when we were ready to leave an exhibit, we could call him, and he would be right there to pick us up. And into his air conditioned Mercedes, we would go. I loved not having to wait for a big tour group to finish, and get into a big bus. Sakis knew how to time our whole trip. We even got to see a changing of the guard ritual at the perfect time. Sakis was not only a driver and a tour guide, he also played the role of bodyguard for our daughter, who was approached by an aggressive street gypsy. We saw the Acropolis, the Parthenon, Olympic Stadium, changing of the guard at the Royal Palace, had lunch in Plaka, visited the markets, went up to the highest point in Athens, and visited the museums...just to name a few.

Overall, we had an excellent adventure, thanks to Sakis and “Private Greece Tours”

We had Alex twice from this company - 2 different cruises. They were wonderful days!

Bernadette

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

PRIVATE GREECE TOURS.   Nikos Loukas is extremely responsive and easy to deal with. We made our reservations almost a year in advance and he followed up close to the trip to let us know everything was on schedule. They are very flexible and do not try to push any itinerary on you. They listen to want you want / like. Upon arrival we were delighted with the vehicle - a beautiful Mercedes mini bus - very clean, plenty of room for our crew and the driver had a microphone so everyone could hear the commentary - not just the people in the front like other tours we did. George was outstanding! Not only was he very informative but he got us to all the top places ahead of the "cruise crowd". We got to see the changing of the guard from the front and back of the building when others didn't get to see it at all. He was also very flexible giving us some time to wander on our own. He even has an extra local cell so you can communicate with him without incurring phone charges. Highly, highly recommend!!  

NIKOSLOUKAS1@GMAIL.COM

Athens Bus 1.jpg

Athens Bus 2.jpg

Athens Bus 3.jpg

Hi,

We just got back from a wonderful cruise.  We contacted Athens Tour Company to take us around Athens.  We only had one day there and wanted to make the most of it.  Our driver, Dominic was funny, engaging and took us where no one has been before ... just kidding but he was great!  Our guide Dorina is brilliant!  She knows more about Athens and its history than most scholars!  She didn't  just bore us with facts but gave us history before and after to make the sites come alive with her commentary.  I would say without hesitation she is the BEST guide for the Athens area.  I am sure that Nikos has all excellent guides but Dorina is by far the most educated guide I have had of any guides anywhere that I have used and that is quite a few.  I wholeheartedly would HIGHLY recommend this company.  You will be able to do so much more and learn so  much more than booking with just any tour company.  We will definitely be going back to Greece and staying longer and booking with Nikos company to expereince many more places in Greece.

20181114_022541.jpg

We just got back from cruising the Mediterranean (May/June 2019) and we booked Private Greek Tours for our visit to Athens. These guys are the best! We took an all day tour that we customized somewhat as we wanted to see the temple of Poseidon and passed on the museum. Our driver (Sakis) was phenomenal. He was at the dock on time, spoke excellent English and before every stop he pulled over and used a tablet to explain what we were going to see, the history of where we were and had pictures of what it looked like in the past. He added some stops we hadn't even thought about, made a great suggestion for lunch and at the end of the day had us back to our ship with time to spare. The best part is the price for a private driver through PGT was comparable to other tours but we didn't have to travel in a large group. There was just my wife and I. The owner of this company was super responsive to all of our emailed inquiries before we went. Bottom line, this is the only way to go when touring Athens and the only company to use. 

Posted (edited)

We just returned from our port stop (May 24th) in Athens and followed many recommendations to use PK Travel....We were not disappointed...A wonderful full day tour with an amazing driver & guide !! Check out their website and contact them .. I'm sure they'll have a tour (private or small group shared) that will work out for your specifics needs...Best of luck and enjoy Athens.

Edited by Ashland

We used https://www.privategreecetours.com and did we choose right!  To start with, Nikos and his team excelled with their communication, which was reassuring.  Nikos held our hand through the entire process and made us feel at ease with what to expect.  We were greeted by Sakis outside our cruise ship and right away we were taken onto a magical tour of Athens.  We chose the PRIVATE 8 hrs because we were able to take things out and add thing, most importantly the trip to the Temple of Poseidon.  Sikas knowledge of the acropolis alone was enough to make this trip worth while.  This trip was the highlight of our cruise to Greece and easily bested all our other excursions!  Do not let the cruise line scare you into not using a non cruise line excursion as Sikas always kept track of our time and let us know when we need to head back.  A+++++ rating in my book!  Thnak you Nikos, Sikas and the entire team for such a great time!!!!