Zuiderdam-Alaska-2012, Should I Book It

bbbearden

Hi all, considering doing the Zuiderdam (first time on HA for us)out of Vancover on the Inside Passage Route in Sept. We are a family of 3 with an 11 year old. We are well traveled, and enjoy trying new things. We are considering a superior verandah suite or deluxe verandah suite for this trip. The reviews of this ship are very mixed, and the biggest concern seems to be the condition of the ship. We are not overally picky and you will not find me complaining about a spec of rust on the anchor, or slightly worn carpet, but at the same time do not want to get on a ship that has seen better days. The route is one of the best for a 7 day Alaska trip, and the reputation of HA has been good, should we chance it or not?

Please do not flame me, it is a sincere question?

Hi all, considering doing the Zuiderdam (first time on HA for us)out of Vancover on the Inside Passage Route in Sept. We are a family of 3 with an 11 year old. We are well traveled, and enjoy trying new things. We are considering a superior verandah suite or deluxe verandah suite for this trip. The reviews of this ship are very mixed, and the biggest concern seems to be the condition of the ship. We are not overally picky and you will not find me complaining about a spec of rust on the anchor, or slightly worn carpet, but at the same time do not want to get on a ship that has seen better days. The route is one of the best for a 7 day Alaska trip, and the reputation of HA has been good, should we chance it or not?

If it makes you feel any better, I am booked back on her for 2 weeks in May 2013.

I was on her September 2011 for 2 weeks and cannot wait to board her again:)

A cruise is what you make of it, as you know already:) And I think you and your family will really enjoy her:)

Joanie

Book it!!

I would go with the Deluxe Suite -- more room for all 3 of you.

Agree ! Sailing out of Vancouver is preferred. It's the Inside Passage

and smoother seas also. HAL has a good Kids Club, as well

as Onboard folks to provide the very best, current information while sailing.

Well 5 weeks from today I will be on board the Zuiderdam for 11 days, the first 4 days will be the Repositioning cruise then the last 7 will be the Round Trip out of Vancouver to Alaska. I personally cannot wait and we are actually more excited for this cruise than we were for our last on the Westerdam just 2 weeks ago. This will be our 9th cruise to Alaska. We never tire of cruising Alaska. We have been cruising HAL since 2003 and have been active on the CC board that long. If I was to get concerned over every ship I read bad reviews about we would never cruise :D The Zuiderdam was our first HAL cruise in April 2003. At that time the HAL board was on fire about how terrible she was. (She was the first Vista Class Ship and the largest HAL had ever had) We loved the ship and HAL and was glad that reading the boards did not sway us.

Since then I cannot even begin to tell you how many negative threads have been posted about several of HAL ships of which case I then cruised on them and did not find anything even remotely close to the complaints.

Cruising Alaska you should choose itinerary first, then price of what is comfortable for you, then ship. I personally think HAL's very best itinerary for Alaska 7 day round trip is the Zuiderdam. I agree if you can swing it go with the Deluxe Verandah Suite. We are looking forward to enjoying ours very soon :D

I'd probably book it if it's the best route for you, and hopefully you won't have any problems. We wanted to go on a particular route and I was really concerned about what all I was reading about the condition of the ship ( I'm with you ... dust, worn carpets, rust, etc, do not bother us, we are on a trip to have fun, not pick the ship apart) but the only issues we had was the condition of the furniture in our room. It was a lot of money for an SA ... however, we still had a wonderful time. I don't think for one moment all the furniture in all the cabins were in the shape ours was in, but ours was a problem. And the having to flush the toilet twice each time worried me. Again, this could have just been our cabin.

The staff was wonderful. The food was good. Room service was excellent. We enjoyed the cruise. But I went in knowing that some had issues and we came away having some of our own. I have to say this is the first negative experience we've had on a HAL cruise and I hesitated posting this info because I know some people here don't like anything negative posted. I, however, like to hear the good, bad and ugly so I can make an informed decision. I also noted this on the survey card and our TA is taking it up with HAL.

Whatever you end up choosing, have a great time!!

Book it. I believe more people write bad reviews than good reviews. Am thinking of booking the very last cruise of the Alaska season on the Zuiderdam. Have not been on the ship but want to try it. A cruise is what you make it. Plus for us it will hook up nicely with Sapphire Princess Coastal Cruise leaving the day Zuiderdam returns to Vancouver.

I agree that the 7-day Inside Passage itinerary is one of the best, especially for first-timers, and that's more important than a tatty ship IMO. We didn't have any huge concerns about the Zuiderdam - she certainly wasn't immaculate but neither was she as decrepit as some people have reported. It's a big, busy ship so there's bound to be some wear and tear issues but nothing to ruin your cruise IMO. Pick the best stateroom your budget will accommodate.

I appreciate the response, sill deciding cabin type but leaning toward the deluxe suite just for the extra amenities.

I always pick trips/cruises based in route and ports, so the Zuiderdam is a natural selection due to Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay, as well as the three port stops.

I know not to expect Crystal or Seabourn style luxury, but do have certain expectations when booking a higher level suite. It seems like there have been a larger proportion of negative reviews for this ship and so your feedback is appreciated.

We've booked the trip for the end of July. I've never been on Zuiderdam, so I'm anxious to sail on her. As much as I enjoy being on the ship, I'm not letting the reviews get to me. One of our Oosterdam cruises I was reading the same types of reviews and did not have any problems/notice any problems during our cruise. Everyone views a ship differently.

My reason for picking HAL is the excellent service from the crew, the fantastic food, and feeling like I'm "home" when I step aboard.

I always pick trips/cruises based in route and ports, so the Zuiderdam is a natural selection due to Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay, as well as the three port stops.

The Volendam has the same itinerary with a Wednesday departure.

If you're hesitant about the Zuiderdam, consider the Volendam as an alternative. A big plus with the Wednesday departure is that you're not sharing ports with as many other ships/passengers.

Good idea Ruth. The Ports do get VERY busy when several big ships call. I recall Juneau being crowded to the point of claustrophobia. I prefer smaller ships anyway so I think that's why our Zuiderdam experience wasn't all we'd hoped for (2 words - Lido Buffet:eek:) but in Alaska the ship really isn't the destination.

Archived