Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DCnBTR

Conquest 04/17/2005 Review

I recently returned from the Conquest and finally had some time to write a semi-brief review. I've been a "lurker" on the boards for a few years, so I decided to participate and share my experiences.

There were 6 of us in my group, 2 that had cruised many times, 2 that had cruised once before, and 2 that had never cruised. Everyone had a great time. This was my 14th cruise, 5 with Carnival, 8 with Royal Caribbean, and 1 with American Hawaii (before they went bankrupt). Therefore, I knew what to expect regarding food, service, etc.,

PARKING

I read on these boards about Machu Picchu Tours. You can park at their lot near the terminal, and they provide a shuttle service to and from the terminal. The cost was the same as the other lots ($12 per day), and you pay cash when you arrive. They were excellent, and I highly recommend them to anyone driving and parking in New Orleans for their cruise. Traffic around the terminal was a nightmare, but they made it very easy. Their web site is: http://www.machupicchutours.com/

EMBARKATION

We arrived at the terminal around 12:15. Check-in went fairly quickly because we had filled in our fun pass information on the Carnival website. However, the line waiting to go through security was HUGE. They did not begin boarding until 12:00, and many people had arrived early. We were on board around 2:00.

ROOMS

We had 3 interior rooms on deck 2 at the rear of the ship. My room was the last room, and there was a lot of engine vibration. It didn't bother me, but you definitely knew when the skip was docking. The vibration seemed to disappear about 3 or 4 rooms down the hall. I would try to avoid the very back of the ship on decks 1 and 2 if you think vibration will bother you.

PORTS / SHORE EXCURSIONS

We booked tours through Carnival at all three ports. In Jamaica, we did the 4x4 adventure tour. It was fun, and we were able to see more of the interior of the island not just Montego Bay. In Grand Cayman, we did the city tour because 2 in our group weren't really into seeing the stringrays and the rest of us had already been there. In Cozumel, we did the Hideaway Speedboat Escape tour. This was an awesome tour. The tour group was separated into pairs and we drove speedboats for 45 minutes to an isolated beach where we had lunch and had beach time. Then we took the speedboats back to where we started. Everyone loved this tour.

ENTERTAINMENT

The cruise director, Todd Wittmer, and his staff (Dan, Sarah, Kevin and others) were, to use Todd's phrase, EXCELLENT. I believe Todd was the best cruise director that I have ever had. He was visible around the ship all the time. I'm not sure when he or his staff slept.

Although our cruise missed the rogue wave and we didn't slam into a dock, we did have some technical problems in the main show lounge all week. One of the production shows had to be cancelled in mid show due to a power outage backstage. The Deja show had two technical problems. The female singer for the Point and Click show got sick during the show and one of the dancers had to "fill in" for the finale act. On Saturday, the orchastra pit lift in front of the stage had to be repaired.

This review turned out to be longer than I had planned. If anyone has any questions, I will try to answer them. I hope this information helps.

Nice review, we just sailed last month and also had a great time. I agree that Todd was a great CD. Sorry about your technical snaffus. We had a room on deck 2 mid ship and never felt any vibration. We did have some rough sea days and many people were sick on Saturday due to 12 foot waves. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the review! How was food and service in the dining room, please? Were there any stand-outs, either good or bad?

Thanks,

Friday

Thanks for posting a review on the Conquest,There have been a lot of interest in her.Welcome to the boards.:)

Thanks for the review! I'm so happy to see someone has taken the Hideaway Tour in Cozumel - just a quick question about it: How much beach time was involved? I am considering it because my SO would love the driving your own boat part, but he gets bored with beach-time :)

fridayeyes

We had the 8:00 seating in the Monet Dining Room. Our table was located next to the windows at the rear of the room, so we had a view. Unfortunately, it was always dark outside. I found the food in the dining room to be very good. Melina from Bulgaria was our assistant waiter/head waiter, and she was excellent. She recently had been given a head waiter station, but too many other head waiters returned from vacation. She was temporarily reassigned to assistant waiter while they tried to arrange a permanent station for her. She and our head waiter traded jobs through the cruise, and she was allowed to wear the head waiter vest instead of the assistant waiter vest.

BottledRed

We had about 1.5 hours on the beach with the hideaway tour. We had enough time to eat and to swim or snorkel. If you want to snorkel, you do need to bring your own equipment. Driving the power boats was awesome. Depending on your SO's skill level, you may only get a little wet or you may get soaking wet. My friends and I had 3 boats, and our degree of wetness varied among all 3 boats.

Thanks for the review. It's nice to hear about other tours other the normal Dunns River, Sunset Beach, Stingray City, Paradise Beach, etc. Not that those tours aren't nice, but it's good to get different ideas.

We are going on the Conquest in September and I'm sure some people in our group want to do different tours.

Thanks for the review. I will be on Conquest on 6/12. I cannot wait.

I was just wondering how the formal nights were? What did you wear and what did others in your group and others around you wear? My husband does not have suit so we were just going to get a jacket. He has a ton of shirts and ties (probably because of me :) ).

What about the pictures they do? Did you buy any? Were they good? Did you take a lot of pictures yourself?

Thanks for your help!

Carrie :D

BottledRed

We had about 1.5 hours on the beach with the hideaway tour. We had enough time to eat and to swim or snorkel. If you want to snorkel, you do need to bring your own equipment. Driving the power boats was awesome. Depending on your SO's skill level, you may only get a little wet or you may get soaking wet. My friends and I had 3 boats, and our degree of wetness varied among all 3 boats.

Great! That's just about the perfect amount of beach time for Chris :D

I was just wondering how the formal nights were? What did you wear and what did others in your group and others around you wear? My husband does not have suit so we were just going to get a jacket. He has a ton of shirts and ties (probably because of me :) ).
I was just off the Conquest, most men wore suits although there were always exceptions. I even saw a guy in t-shirt and shorts that they let in, have no idea why. Your husband should be fine in a jacket and slacks.

What about the pictures they do? Did you buy any? Were they good? Did you take a lot of pictures yourself?
The photo service is OK, they have a lot of variety of backdrops over the various nights. It's expensive for them to develop all these pictures that most people don't buy, so they only take at most three shots per backdrop. There's one background that is a waterfall, and it looks like you are standing right on its bank. I told the guy we really liked this backdrop, so could he take a few extra pictures because we were going to buy this picture and wanted to make sure we got a good shot. He only took the standard three shots. They did not come out good. So we didn't buy it. We did buy one other photo though.

I think it is ridiculous that they make you buy the $20 photo. I would buy more photos if I were allowed to buy the $7 5x7 shots. And it would save them paper. I wonder how many 8x10s they throw away each week?