While googling I found this....

daijayx2

Ok sooo many threads about tipping and soo many different opinions on auto tips and about people removing tips, and if the waitstaff and room stewards know, so as I was googling images of t-shirt ideas for our roll call on Conquest I found this image. I see it is a little dated but I found it a little interesting.

365375049_tipslist.jpg.c42fb8bafe9bf72267f9e5db70601a45.jpg

I removed the auto-tip, But I have bugeted the cash out, I start with a $10 and a pre-cruise thank-you note saying I appreciate the service i wil be getting, then there is a daily tip I leave for the steward to let him/her know I am not too cheap to tip them.

The waiter and other staff I encounter get thiers later...

I think the steward will get more from it that way!

Just my $.02

I've seen others post that they've seen lists of PAX that removed their auto-tips, on a housekeeping cart and in the galley (seen on a galley tour). Staff needs to be accountable if theres a problem with service. I'd imagine it raises a red-flag if they same workers keep having problems.

I know last time we were told we had to wait until the last full day to remove the auto tips, we did, our room attendant got a nice cash tip that he really appreciated. So I think the list is rumor!

Ok sooo many threads about tipping and soo many different opinions on auto tips and about people removing tips, and if the waitstaff and room stewards know, so as I was googling images of t-shirt ideas for our roll call on Conquest I found this image. I see it is a little dated but I found it a little interesting.

That list was posted by WennFred from the Splendor cruise during the swine flu cruise a few years back.

Bill

That list was posted by WennFred from the Splendor cruise during the swine flu cruise a few years back.

Bill

Sorry Bill I wasn't a member back then and didn't read that far back.;) Just seen and thought it was worth posting. I know there was a thread a little while back concerning the clipboard on the stewards cart with the info. So when i came across it I posted.

Not sure why people tip a little cash up front. Seems a bit tacky at best. For those that do, when you go out to eat in your home town do you give a tip or part of a tip when you are seated? I am not talking about the auto tips, just those that pre tip in cash.

Here's an idea...........leave the auto-tips in place and still give out a lil cash tip at the end

to ppl you like enough. Would that break the rich cruiser you are? I dont think so. Spread the butter around

its only made of paper these days not gold or silver any more

From what I understand, the auto-tips are also distributed to those who we don't see who also provide service to us, so unless you can identify everyone, removing the autotips would "stiff" them since they're not on a set salary. Since it's not a huge amount and I would generally tip more at a restaurant on land, I just leave the tips on, and will give a cash gift at the end of the cruise if someone has gone above standard service.

**get the popcorn to see how this becomes another "overtipping vs cheapskate" thread

From what I understand, the auto-tips are also distributed to those who we don't see who also provide service to us, so unless you can identify everyone, removing the autotips would "stiff" them since they're not on a set salary. Since it's not a huge amount and I would generally tip more at a restaurant on land, I just leave the tips on, and will give a cash gift at the end of the cruise if someone has gone above standard service.

**get the popcorn to see how this becomes another "overtipping vs cheapskate" thread

LOL and I see you already have a beer in place, so you're all set ;)

Not sure why people tip a little cash up front. Seems a bit tacky at best. For those that do, when you go out to eat in your home town do you give a tip or part of a tip when you are seated? I am not talking about the auto tips, just those that pre tip in cash.

The only reason we've tipped upfront is for when we've brought a larger cooler to store our Diet Coke. I know it's not necessary and they would do it anyway, but it does take a bit more effort filling a larger cooler than an ice bucket, and we thank them for that. Of course, those were in the days when we took a LARGE collapsible cooler and not the small one we do now.

I've never understood the tipping in cash for tips anyway. I cruised in the days where they didn't add it to your account, and it was a pain in the patootie trying to remember to save the cash out for tips, dividing it into envelopes, passing them out. It is so easy now! Love it!

Could not say it any better myself. My room steward kept saying no no when I gave him his extra cash tip at the end of the cruise. Said "they already take out the tip" we said "we know and this is extra for great service". We had to insist he take it LOL. He was a fabulous room steward! Most important though are the people who you "don't see" who deserve some of the auto tip also. :)

Its been debated whether or not the staff is aware when we remove the auto gratuities and even JH has responded they are not aware. However, i believe they are informed, if not for any other reason to insure they are providing acceptable service. I removed pre paids towards the end of a 7 night cruise and all of the sudden the cabin steward that i have not seen much at all was around ALL the time. disembark day when we were getting our stuff to leave.. there he was.. just hanging out in front of our room. I handed him the envelope of cash and he was very appreciative.. But i decided that day, they know. I could just tell. So from no on.. Instead of making them worry, i will leave the auto tips and give above and beyond as i see fit, because i think they know when i removed the gratuities i was not sure if Carnival knows i handed everyone cash, and i dont want them to flag me or something as a cheapskate. This year i am prepaying gratuities and leaving it. Plus i accidently cut the buffet servers out because i wasnt real sure who to tip.. Cabin steward actually got more because of that even though that was not my intention.

The only reason we've tipped upfront is for when we've brought a larger cooler to store our Diet Coke. I know it's not necessary and they would do it anyway, but it does take a bit more effort filling a larger cooler than an ice bucket, and we thank them for that. Of course, those were in the days when we took a LARGE collapsible cooler and not the small one we do now.

Absolutely, If you are asking for a service that is above and beyond the norm, then yes tipping something extra for the request seems right. But, for those that feel the need to slip their Steward some cash from the get go does seem tacky.

on NCL we tipped the room stewart upfront & on the back end above the autotip-he fixed one of the cabins up for all my DS (4) instead of the 3 people we had assigned and made our other cabin up for DH & myself. Took wonderful care of my MIL, SIL & SIL BFF down the hall deserved every cent we gave him (my youngest actually wanted to bring him home with us :D). Last cruise with Princess we tipped at the end above the auto tip, just because -no extra service, he actually was rather rude (first day I asked for wine glasses for the wine we brought onboard with us-was informed to call room servce-room service stated room stewart should have provided-finally I just went up to a bar and asked for glasses) but we tipped him a little something extra anyway-they work long hard hours away from their families. Now we leave for Carnival next week and I will probably tip more-not sure if upfront or at the end- my autotips are prepaid. If service warrants it I'll do it.

I think it's awesome that they are informed. Let the people removing their tips get the service they pay for. (Yes, even if you are tipping them in cash instead, I think you're cheap and small minded for not taking into account the people you don't see who get part of the auto tips.)

I figure its more of a heads up "hey get more visible and find out why and remedy it if there is a problem"

I pay my auto tips as there are others who will get screwed if I remove them. I still tip above if the service calls for it.

Its been debated whether or not the staff is aware when we remove the auto gratuities and even JH has responded they are not aware.

again, yes they are made aware when tips are removed.

we have sailed with a couple for years that refuses to tip in anything other than cash.

and every time he removes it, he is asked by his staff what they have done that displeased this couple.

Sorry Bill I wasn't a member back then and didn't read that far back.;) Just seen and thought it was worth posting. I know there was a thread a little while back concerning the clipboard on the stewards cart with the info. So when i came across it I posted.

I wasn't trying to be a smartarse. I was just just giving a point of reference for the list.:)

Sorry if you took it to be offensive.

Bill

I wasn't trying to be a smartarse. I was just just giving a point of reference for the list.:)

Sorry if you took it to be offensive.

Bill

Not at all. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People can remove only certain gratuities. So you don't have to effect the staff that gives you good service.

I was happy that our waiter knew we took his tips off. Of course I did this AFTER he was no longer our waiter. He refused to even talk to my sister-in-law because he thought he would catch MS from her. But I didn't want him to get a dime.

I would want to know if people took money out of my pocket. The Carnival staff has every right to know who's not tipping them.

Typically if on a land vacation or traveling for business we tip the room staff $20 a day (as long as they're doing a good job of course) so, on our first cruise I saved it until the end and gave our steward $150 (he was out standing) on top of our prepaid gratuities.

He came back to our cabin after we'd gotten back from dinner and tried to give it back to us. He said he appreciated it very much but that his supervisor would not approve of such a large sum. We told him to keep half of it and he did...then the next morning we left the other half in an envelope with a thank you card for him!:)

I simply tell you my story because I'm amazed at how tightly they control the amount of tips staff receive on these ships. I'm the type of person who believes that if you do a badly at your job I will speak to your supervisor but still give you something, if you do an okay job I will give you your due, & if you exceed my expectations you deserve more than normal. Why is it such an issue to do it this way on cruises when if you do it like this on land nothing is ever said?:(

Archived