Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Puzlelover

Zuiderdamn

We would like to book the Zuiderdamn out of Ft. Lauderdale in Oct. but are uncertain as to which side is best for viewing ports from the balcony, port or starboard. My mother is in a wheelchair and enjoys sitting on the balcony and looking out on port days. The ports are Half Moon Cay, Bahamas; Road Town, British Virgin Islands; St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands; Nassau, Bahamas. Can someone who has taken this cruise advise me? Thanks in advance!

We just returned and our cabin was on the port side, which is bad for HMC but in St. Thomas we could see the ship docked next to us and nothing else, on Tortola port is the best I believe and in Nassau if the ship backs in as it did on our cruise, port side you can see all the other ships and the town. Our ship docked at Crown Bay in ST.Thomas so you may want to check if yours will dock there or the pier closer to town if it does dock at town, starboard would be the best. Hope this helped. But where ever you book the Verandahs are great.

It's really hard to tell because of the possible backing-in factor. In Nassau, if the left side of the quay is used then port side will be good. If the right side of the quay is used and the ship doesn't back in, then port side will get you a view of the tip end of the island and the ocean beyond. At HMC, the starboard side is generally the one facing shore. However, since the ship is anchored it will "weather vane" in the wind and that could turn the ship the other way. As the old saying goes, "Six of one and half a dozen the other."

Steve & Sherri

Hi! I noticed that you recently got back from the Zuiderdam I will be sailing on the Zuiderdam in September in a Balcony cabin! :D I had a few questions that maybe you can answer.

Do you have any copies or pictures of the Menus? I have copies of the Westerdam Menus but I’m not sure they are in the same order as the Zuiderdam.

What nights are formal?

Did you eat in the Pinnacle Grill? How was it?

Did you do any of the ships excursions?

Since there isn't a self service laundry room do you know the pricing for laundry?

Do they have an “unlimited laundry” package?

Sorry about all the questions. Thanks for all of your help! :D

I just returned from The Zuiderdam on the 23rd. We were on the Starboard side. We had a nice view in Tortola and in Nassau ( we could look out over Paradise Island ). We also had a nice view that faced Half Moon Cay. I can't speak for your cruise but on our cruise I felt the starboard side was preferred especially in Half Moon Cay and in Nassau. I honestly don't remember St. Thomas.

Just back from the Zuiderman on the 23rd. Monday and Thursday are Formal. Ate at the Pinnacle Grill. It focuses mainly on Beef and Salmon. We really enjoyed it the one night we ate there. It didn't make or break our trip however.

Went on Eco Lagoon ( Glass Bottom Boat Tour ) on HMC. It was nothing special.

Went on the Champagne Catamaran Snorke Cruise in St Thomas ( actually sailed to St John ) Average snorkling but the sail and experience was very enjoyable and Fun.

Small Bag of laundry ( Bag supplied by ship ) was $12.00 I beleive.

Don't know if they had an unlimited laundry offer.

Just put my Zuiderdam review on Cruise Critic this morning feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Don

MessyJessy, glad to answer some questions, about the menu I do not have copies but if you do not like what they have that night you can always get grilled steak.or grilled salmon. The Pinnacle was very good they specialize in Northwest Cuisine and wines, I had the 20 oz. porterhouse and it was great. We hardly ever book shore excursions on board, we book independent off ship and always have what I believe to be better and cheaper trips, on HMC if you want to do an excursion you have to book with the ship, in ST. Thomas we took ferry over to St. John and loved our day of traveling the island on our own, but the best was a tour of the Baths and Cooper Island with a charter company, www.patouche.com this is on Tortola and of all the tours we have ever taken this has to be the best for sights and food, they serve a great lunch on board, and just plain fun.also they have unlimited sodas,water, beer and rum punch and some of the best bakery snacks you have ever eaten. As for Nassau I don't really know, you are there for a short time so we just went into town and did what ever looked good at that time and place we happened to be. The formal nights are Monday, the Captains reception, and Thursday, the farewell dinner, and on Wed. is informal also on Tuesday night is what they call tropical casual. Laundry service is by the bag all you can fit into it for $12 and they furnish the bag, unlimited laundry for the entire cruise is $45 and allow 48 hrs. also you must sign up for the unlimited package by the end of the 2nd. day 6;00pm by signing the laundry form. Unlimited pressing service for the entire cruise is $30 and allow 48hrs.. I hope this helps and we hope and know you will have a great cruise.

we have a good friend also on Sept cruise and I think it is the 17th, she goes by the name OhioGirl on these boards.

If you happen to be in a cabin on the "wrong" side of the ship in one of the ports, the Lower Promenade deck is your back-up plan. There, your mother could find a shady spot and choose the view she prefers. There are also nearby HC restrooms on Lower Prom. At least on Westerdam there are. I forgot the Zuiderdam was the first in the series and some restrooms needed to be added.