Local Village Bar GRAND TURK

FloatingSunGoddess

We walked past the new Local Village Bar on the way to Jack's Shack in Feb. The sign said free chairs, umbrellas & wifi. Beers were $3.50, don't know which brands. On the way back, we walked around the bar area...looked ok. Might try it next time. Jack's Shack is $5 for a chair and $10 for an umbrella and the Turks Head beer is $5.

Thanks!!! Hoping to hear from someone who has been there..food review??

We're in GT next Thursday and the RollCall is planning on a stop by Jack's for the free rum tasting. Might swing by LV on the walk/waddle back to the ship. We'll be eating at another place on th eother side of Cockburntown, not near the cruise center. But if we stop by I'll check a menu for you.

BTW, I understand fromt he GT boards that there's a 50 cent tax on the local brews there, so they are $4 total not $3.50 as the sign says. Also heard they're mixed drinks are more expensive than either Jack's or MV. You might go tot he Grant Turk board and post your quiry there as plenty of other lines besdies Carnival stop at GT.

Edited by crewsweeper

We're in GT next Thursday and the RollCall is planning on a stop by Jack's for the free rum tasting. Might swing by LV on the walk/waddle back to the ship. We'll be eating at another place on th eother side of Cockburntown, not near the cruise center. But if we stop by I'll check a menu for you.

Where are you eating? Is it walking distance? I'm going next month :)

Where are you eating? Is it walking distance? I'm going next month :)

Looking at Regal Begal on Hospital Road, opposite side of North Creek from the Lighthouse. But might go to Sandbar which is at the south end of town on the beach across from the Salt Raker Inn. Will report on return.

Wow, based on the TripAdvisor reviews alone, and the fact that management took the time to answer every one, I can't wait to go there! That's good customer service, they obviously care about their customers and know how to run a business! I have been busily researching where to eat while on Grand Turk, but my research is over.

Wow, based on the TripAdvisor reviews alone, and the fact that management took the time to answer every one, I can't wait to go there! That's good customer service, they obviously care about their customers and know how to run a business! I have been busily researching where to eat while on Grand Turk, but my research is over.

I agree...the reviews seem good...I just wish we would hear from someone who has been there recently.....I'm surprised there's not more response...when you pull up to the dock at Grand Turk you can't miss the place...lots of flags...festive music...and big colorful signs advertising cheap beer, soda and water! Last year we had booked excusions and didn't have time to check it out!!

I agree...the reviews seem good...I just wish we would hear from someone who has been there recently.....I'm surprised there's not more response...when you pull up to the dock at Grand Turk you can't miss the place...lots of flags...festive music...and big colorful signs advertising cheap beer, soda and water! Last year we had booked excusions and didn't have time to check it out!!

The most recent review on Tripadvisor is only 2 weeks old. I find that a lot of people on this web-site seem to promote just certain places (here, for example, Jack's Shack) and tour operators (you definitely notice that on ALL the Ports of Call threads.) Some of us like to "branch out," though! ;)

Thank you sooo much for these links. Made our decision, just what I was looking for !! Beach, seafood, beers and music. That is going to make for a very enjoyable beach day.:)

The most recent review on Tripadvisor is only 2 weeks old. I find that a lot of people on this web-site seem to promote just certain places (here, for example, Jack's Shack) and tour operators (you definitely notice that on ALL the Ports of Call threads.) Some of us like to "branch out," though! ;)

Thank you :) Yes, they latch onto a bar/beach/venue or a tour operator..but...JMO sometimes "success" goes to the heads/or business sense of these small island operators

That is why you see people writing bad reviews for Godfrey or Lawrence of ANTIQUA or "Sonny" when they get overloaded and farm out their clients to their brother in law or some friend with a broken down van

Do the math....Jack's shack is pretty pricey for what you get...$5 for a chair and $10 for an umbrella?

I do think the dog is cute tho...maybe have a drink but I would not rent a chair there

I was at Village Local and they were very nice...really local too...

Conch fritters were very good and really cheap

Bought some diet sodas for $1 each and carried back onto the ship

Thank you :) Yes, they latch onto a bar/beach/venue or a tour operator..but...JMO sometimes "success" goes to the heads/or business sense of these small island operators

That is why you see people writing bad reviews for Godfrey or Lawrence of ANTIQUA or "Sonny" when they get overloaded and farm out their clients to their brother in law or some friend with a broken down van

Do the math....Jack's shack is pretty pricey for what you get...$5 for a chair and $10 for an umbrella?

I do think the dog is cute tho...maybe have a drink but I would not rent a chair there

I was at Village Local and they were very nice...really local too...

Conch fritters were very good and really cheap

Bought some diet sodas for $1 each and carried back onto the ship

Totally agree! I'm glad someone shares my observations! :) We will do exactly what you suggested - stop in for a drink at Jack's & check out the dog, Topher. Then we will head to "the Village!"

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we're just back. Based on menu and lack of crowds and same beach, Local Village looks like it's our destination next November. I've got a pic or two once they get loaded into photobucket. Wasn't impressed by Jack's. Free rum shot isn't a great sipper or shooter, better in a mixed drink probably. But they did have Turks head Amber, which is slightly better than the Lager. MV is definitely too crowded and too expensive.

Regel Begel is CLOSED! So we ate at the Sandbar in Cockburntown because we'd come from the lighthouse. Bohito Bive Resort north of town looks promising for those wishing to avoid large crowds and get the better snorkeling from shore in. But it fills up early. Loungers are $10 there and not plentiful as hotel guests have preference. Nevertheless, could be worth a taxi ride ($8 pp) if you head there straight way.

Thank you Crewsweeper! So did you enjoy the Sandbar? Good lunch? Great view? Can you hang out on their beach? How long did you stay there (if your ship departed at 3) - I noticed they do not open until noon.

So why were you not too impressed with Jack's? We'll probably just stop by there for a drink to see what all the hype is about, then leave.

We just returned. We headed straight to jack's Shack and had to pay $40 for 4 chairs and 2 umbrellas.....rip off if you ask me. The beach was nice, but the bar was crowded and not easy to get a drink. It was very hot out and the bar provided little shade, so we had to pay for the umbrellas. The food was 'decent'. Big cheeseburgers, good jerk chicken, no conch. Drinks were expensive and average. The music was just really bad. sounded like the same reggae (hard core) over and over again. If we wouldn't have paid for the chairs we would have headed back to Village earlier. So sorry we didn't. We got to the Island village and had cheaper beers (Turks Head was $3.50, others were $4.00) and excellent service and conversation with the bartenders. The music was fun and the place was lively. We ordered some breaded conch and it was fabulous!! So sorry we headed all the way to Jacks where we got to witness much of the cruise staff getting smashed, vulgar and fighting with each other. While amusing, it was not a highlight of the day.

Thank you Crewsweeper! So did you enjoy the Sandbar? Good lunch? Great view? Can you hang out on their beach? How long did you stay there (if your ship departed at 3) - I noticed they do not open until noon.

So why were you not too impressed with Jack's? We'll probably just stop by there for a drink to see what all the hype is about, then leave.

Yes the Sandbar had good food and service despite the fact that only one person was tending tables (other one was in the kitchen). There's parking next to the bar and a beach there but it's bring your own towels. Very enjoyable. We were there a little over an hour but that's because we met others from the Roll Call there and spent time with them plus the place got busy and we had to wait a bit for the check.

If you've signed up for the free shot (in a plastic shot glass) at Jacks, do go there and have a drink. But otherwise, follow mrsfuzzmo's suggestion and just go directly to Local Village (I can post pics once I've uploaded them). Can't miss their large sign. Enjoy your cruise.

Yes the Sandbar had good food and service despite the fact that only one person was tending tables (other one was in the kitchen). There's parking next to the bar and a beach there but it's bring your own towels. Very enjoyable. We were there a little over an hour but that's because we met others from the Roll Call there and spent time with them plus the place got busy and we had to wait a bit for the check.

If you've signed up for the free shot (in a plastic shot glass) at Jacks, do go there and have a drink. But otherwise, follow mrsfuzzmo's suggestion and just go directly to Local Village (I can post pics once I've uploaded them). Can't miss their large sign. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks, Crewsweeper!! I think we will follow your (& Mrsfuzzmo's) suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...
We just returned. We headed straight to jack's Shack and had to pay $40 for 4 chairs and 2 umbrellas.....rip off if you ask me. The beach was nice, but the bar was crowded and not easy to get a drink. It was very hot out and the bar provided little shade, so we had to pay for the umbrellas. The food was 'decent'. Big cheeseburgers, good jerk chicken, no conch. Drinks were expensive and average. The music was just really bad. sounded like the same reggae (hard core) over and over again. If we wouldn't have paid for the chairs we would have headed back to Village earlier. So sorry we didn't. We got to the Island village and had cheaper beers (Turks Head was $3.50, others were $4.00) and excellent service and conversation with the bartenders. The music was fun and the place was lively. We ordered some breaded conch and it was fabulous!! So sorry we headed all the way to Jacks where we got to witness much of the cruise staff getting smashed, vulgar and fighting with each other. While amusing, it was not a highlight of the day.

We were there last week at The Local Village Bar and Restaurant. They have phenomenal local food and great drinks at better than average prices. A friendly and attentive staff, free chairs and umbrellas, and free wi-fi. If the bar gets too crowded, there are tables and chairs. There is also an area on the side that provides some shade.

Ask for Arthur the owner (who is from Turks and Caicos) who will be happy to set you up with a free sample shot as well. They go out of there way to make sure you have the best day possible while you are there at the beach.

Went to Jack's Shack on our Eurodam cruise this past November. Will definitely try the local village next time there. Jack's was OK, but not great. We did enjoy the beach, it was not crowded, we seemed to have it almost to ourselves. The dog was playful and interacted with my DH. Drinks were expensive, almost as much as Margaritaville. We didn't eat, but the food smelled good. Jack was not an overly gracious host, seemed almost aloof, but then he is not the reason we went there. We went there to get away from the crowds.