Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

travelin_nat

Upgrade Fairy?

Counting down the days to our cruise and I've been dreaming about a visit from the famous Upgrade Fairy. Just curious....if you are lucky enough, how do they contact you? By phone? If so, what if you don't answer your phone - do they move on to someone else?

Yeah, I know, odds are against us, but a girl can dream....;)

Nat

Sometimes you don't find out until you get to the check-in counter. What a way to begin your cruise.

We found out about our first one when my husband discovered that our room was available on line. When he called to find out what was going on, they told us that we had been upgraded. Kind of a nervous way to find out. But worth it in the end.

That would be an awesome way to start your cruise!

I feel like we just got an upgrade....just found out (thank you zonacruiser25) that our OV cabins on Rhapsody are two of the very few cabins with floor to ceiling windows. Next best thing to a balcony at half the price! So excited! :D

That would be an awesome way to start your cruise!

I feel like we just got an upgrade....just found out (thank you zonacruiser25) that our OV cabins on Rhapsody are two of the very few cabins with floor to ceiling windows. Next best thing to a balcony at half the price! So excited! :D

We managed to get one of the "new" cabins on deck 8 with floor to ceiling windows at our original price on deck 4. I had a look at Rhapsody today while in Sydney....of course I was only focused on our cabin, couldn't see much but definitely spotted those huge windows.

We managed to get one of the "new" cabins on deck 8 with floor to ceiling windows at our original price on deck 4. I had a look at Rhapsody today while in Sydney....of course I was only focused on our cabin, couldn't see much but definitely spotted those huge windows.

Sweet! I can't wait to check them out. We actually managed a price reduction from our cabin on deck 4. I'm one of those who keeps a close eye on price. If no one posts pictures before our cruise, I will post some of the room. Can't wait!

Sweet! I can't wait to check them out. We actually managed a price reduction from our cabin on deck 4. I'm one of those who keeps a close eye on price. If no one posts pictures before our cruise, I will post some of the room. Can't wait!

There should be some pics coming soon but will still look forward to seeing yours. We managed a price reduction earlier prior to the new cabin becoming available. We were prepared to pay a little extra for the move up but were surprised that it was the same price. It pays to check frequently.

We were never contacted....we were flying out Saturday for a Sunday Cruise departure.

Last thing I did Friday night was go check "My Cruises" for one last time, and noticed there was a balance due of $35.....

Looked further and noticed we were now booked in a GS, and the $35 was either taxes or Suite Room Attendant. Not sure, but it did not matter. Paid it immediately and printed out a new Set Sail Pass!

So, that was 48hrs before we cruised.

Incidently, that was when we were still Gold, and we have stayed in a GS every cruise since. We have been told by a few RCI people that that is what they are looking for....it is a sales/marketing tool as opposed to any type of rewards program.

Parents booked via planet cruise (1st cruise). Upgrade fairy rang my house as I'd actually booked it for them and offered an upgrade to a balcony for £100. I rang parents to confirm if they wanted it, rang planet back - gone!

Moral of the call from the fairies......say yes there and then!

It is a good thing that they called and asked us in advance since they changed not only our room, not only our ship, but our departure port is now 200 miles away!!

I guess our Freedom sailing was selling really well and the Allure sailing on the same date was not. They were asking Florida residents close enough to drive to Ft. Lauderdale to switch ships. They made a big deal out of how it would not cost us anything extra. I was a wee bit annoyed when I checked online afterwards and saw that the Allure room actually cost $50 LESS then what we paid! Nicer ship yes - but a 3.5 hour drive to port now instead of a one hour one. We are still happy, but .... well we are still happy!

We were blessed with a visit from the Upgrade Fairy for our upcoming Allure cruise. RCI just sent us an email with our new info.

Now do these upgrades only happen when u booke directly with rci or can it happen with a travel agency too

Now do these upgrades only happen when u booke directly with rci or can it happen with a travel agency too

Ours always happened when we booked with our TA.:D:D:D

I got a call at 11:30 am CST on my home phone from the upgrade fairy. He advised of oppty to move from inside to balcony. I've been calling back it states he left for today.

I always book direct. Remember, the upgrade fairy is elusive and sometimes has no rhyme or reason for her choices. I think I lucked out this time because my initial booking happened to be in a needed cabin category.

It is a good thing that they called and asked us in advance since they changed not only our room, not only our ship, but our departure port is now 200 miles away!!

I guess our Freedom sailing was selling really well and the Allure sailing on the same date was not. They were asking Florida residents close enough to drive to Ft. Lauderdale to switch ships. They made a big deal out of how it would not cost us anything extra. I was a wee bit annoyed when I checked online afterwards and saw that the Allure room actually cost $50 LESS then what we paid! Nicer ship yes - but a 3.5 hour drive to port now instead of a one hour one. We are still happy, but .... well we are still happy!

Wow!!! Now that is what I call an upgrade! How far out did they call you for that? Our Freedom sailing is really full, too. I would certainly be more than happy to move if they asked, but will be just as happy if we sail away on the Freedom for the week. Enjoy your cruise!:D

Received a call from TA saying RCCL was asking if we wanted an upgrade. Not excited at first (had a corner Aft) until my TA insisted we take it.......it was to the RS!!!! Yes, we did take it.

Received a call from TA saying RCCL was asking if we wanted an upgrade. Not excited at first (had a corner Aft) until my TA insisted we take it.......it was to the RS!!!! Yes, we did take it.

That's a really great upgrade!! Congratulations.

Wow!!! Now that is what I call an upgrade! How far out did they call you for that? Our Freedom sailing is really full, too. I would certainly be more than happy to move if they asked, but will be just as happy if we sail away on the Freedom for the week. Enjoy your cruise!:D

They asked us to change ships two weeks before our cruise.