Cruise Critic Community
GiovanniB

Grandeur of the Seas, Transatlantic, April 18 - May 1, 2012

Here we go on our second cruise + European vacation. In November of 2010 we did a wonderful one week cruise on Costa from Venice to the Greek Islands plus two weeks in Europe including Sicily, Rome, Paris and London. This time around we're trying out the RCI transatlantic from Miami to Malaga. We're staying an additional 5 days in Malaga and then flying from Seville to Palermo, Sicily where we'll spend another week in Taormina before flying back home to Seattle via Frankfurt.

We booked the cruise through AAA rather than RCI, which I think may have been a bit of a mistake because we're not able to change some things via the RCI website that we would have if we had booked directly with RCI. We paid something like $650 each for an outside cabin plus the tips and $350 for the "Gold" wine package. We also did very well with our airfares so all and all the trip is shaping up to be a bargain. I hope to blog the entire way and make a few videos like we did last time. To be continued...

WOW - what an awesome trip! It would be the trip of a lifetime for me! Have a great time.

Would you be able to do me a favor and find out if Rico is still the Cruise Director, and perhaps find out how long he will be on the ship, so I can update the current CD list? Thanks!

Sounds fantastic!

I have literally just booked the Grandeur this morning for the 9th Sept sailing.

I look forward to your posts :)

I will be looking forward to your posts..... I also booked the TA for Nov 7/12 from Barcelona to Miami. This is a first TA for us so not to sure what to expect. We also got our first AFT corner JS so really looking forward to that.

Enjoy your holiday :)

I'm on this cruise as well. In fact, my wife and I flew down to Miami last Wednesday and WE are spending a week visiting family and friends before boarding Grandeur next Wednesday. We're also planning an extended 10-day stay in Spain post-cruise.

Come on over and join our roll call thread. We already have 32 people signed up for a sail away party Wednesday afternoon right after the muster drill and 53 signed up for a "meet and mingle" gathering Thursday morning. Here's a link to the current roster:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33347454&postcount=504

And here's a link to the overall roll call thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439597

Getting the last few things checked off the check list before heading out for the airport tomorrow evening!

It is a challenge to pack nice clothes for the cruise dinners knowing that we'll be hauling them around Europe for two weeks post cruise without wearing them again. Last cruise I sent my dress clothes to the cleaners and just left them in the plastic on the hangers in the suit case and they stayed quite nice so I'm trying it again this time.

Also his morning I got Catrina's Android phone set up with Groove IP so both of us will be able to use our cell phones with just Wifi via Google Voice. This works great and we've also got our cheap European cell phone which we can use in Spain and Italy.

And last, but not least I downloaded all three of the "Dragon Tatto" novels in both English and Italian onto my Kindle so I'll have more than enough reading material poolside.

Edited by GiovanniB

We'll be right behind shortly leaving May 1 from Miami. TAs are awesome and usually a great bargain after allowing for one-way air leg. The sea days are amazing and relaxing. And no better way to see interesting cities without paying for expensive hotels.

One note for packing - if not too late. We have a pro meteorologist in our Roll Call group and he has been saying southern Europe weather has been trending cooler than usual this year with odds leaning towards daytime temps in 50's-60's more so than 70's-80's. We were mostly packed and have started to swap out a few short pants and short sleave items for long pants and shirts.

We are doing a Miami pre-cruise get together and night before will be watching four ships sail between 4-5pm. Then a sailaway onboard. But we have over 250 signed up for our Meet & Mingle so RCI is trying to find a larger places to hold it.

Wow, what a great trip.

Really looking forward to your blog. We sailed on Grandeur last summer (in the Med) and are sailing on her again this summer (post refurb). Such a friendly ship :)

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

We arrived this morning at 6:15AM in Miami on the red-eye from Seattle, got the bags and caught a taxi to the port ($25 flat rate for all four of us). The flight was a quick 5 hours on Alaska and a good buy at $200 each one way, but both my wife and parents commented at dinner that they would have preferred to fly the previous day and overnight in a hotel as they did not sleep well on the flight.

We arrived quit early around 9AM at the cruise terminal and checked our bags right at the curb. The stylish sail tent terminal building opened shortly after and we were some of the first in line greeted by an army of port staff who processed us quickly through to the staging area. It’s nice to know that we could have checked in our bags at the curb, checked in and then gone out for breakfast and come back later had we wished. Lessons learned included remembering to not send boarding passes onboard in the checked bags and to remember to collect anything that you may need before your bags arrive at your state room later in the day. Ours bags arrived to the room around 5PM, five hours after we boarded.

Once on board we located our state room, dropped off our carry-on with our electronics and headed to the deck 9 buffet for a little lunch. There was a nice selection of food including prime rib and fish and chicken, but we opted for the salad bar in an effort to pace ourselves heading into 13 days of gastronomic gluttony.

After lunch we retired to our room to for a nap and slept soundly until we were awakened at 4PM with a 30 minute to muster drill warning on the PA. We hustled into the shower to wake up and managed to make it to our muster location on deck for the drill at 4:30. The drill went smoothly and we were released about 30 minutes later and invited to the main pool area for a send-off party with a live band. We had a coffee and enjoyed watching the staff encourage passengers young and old to get their Salsa on. The staff and passengers on the whole have been exceptionally friendly and everyone seems eager for a good time.

We closed our day with dinner around 6:30. We signed up for anytime dining so that we can eat later on days that we’re in port. We were seated right away on the balcony level with a nice view of the lower dining room. Our server and busser were excellent, as was the wine and food. I started with a nice Salmon Tapenade and Catrina opted for the Onion frittata, both excellent. I followed with the sea bass and Catrina had the pork medallions, both also very nicely prepared, accompanied by a nice Argentine Malbec. We sampled several deserts, all tasty. The Espresso was also good (extra charge for specialty coffee).

Before turning in we perused the Day 2 activities and picked out a few things that looked fun and put out the room service breakfast card for 8:30 coffee. Catrina was looking forward to a morning Pilates class and I thought both the Rumba and Spanish lessons looked like fun, not to mention the Mr. Sexy Legs contest at the pool.

Edited by GiovanniB

GiovanniB

I am so excited to find you posts. My sister-in-law is on this sailing. So, if you meet Dan and Jane from Virginia, tell them Jane said "Hi".

Will you be posting pictures during your cruise.?

Catrina started Day 2 with an early room service breakfast (no extra charge) and then headed our for a Pilates workout class. I was up by 10AM (7AM Seattle time) feeling good ready for our 11 o’clock Rumba lesson. The lesson was great and very well attended. Our instructors, a retired couple from Florida, Ken and Merrily, guided us through the “slow, quick, quick, slow” box step right up through an under arm turn and a cross over step. We’re looking forward to 8 more dance lessons during the remainder of the cruise.

After dancing we grabbed a quick lunch up in the deck 9 buffet. We went for the salad bar again, but splurged with the addition of a tasty piece of barbecued chicken. After that we headed for the pool deck armed with our Kindles. The sun was a very hot 80 degrees, but there was plenty of wind and shade when we needed to cool off. Drinks at the pool bar were generous pours and reasonable. A Tangurey and Tonic and a Coors light cost $11. The pool-side Mr. Sexy legs was a hoot with a collection of enthusiastic, but not very fit participants. A Latin band played most of the afternoon and was excellent.

The dress for dinner was formal and we had fun getting spiffied up. The ladies looked lovely and Catrina was already sporting a nice tan after soaking her Italian skin in the sun for 5 hours. The dinning room was full of Tuxedoes and gowns and everyone looked great. The lobster bisque was good. The filet and the duck were well prepared, although nothing spectacular and the presentation of the duck was lacking. The strawberry cheese cake and sugar free coconut deserts were excellent, as was the Kendal Jackson Cabernet and Espresso ($5 extra charge).

After dinner we headed to the show. The headliner was “El Gaucho” from Uruguay and he was great. In addition to being a very funny comedian, he was also a talented percussionist, flamenco guitarist, pianist and Boleros dancer.

Also today I got signed up with a Wifi package (good signal only in the public areas, not in the room). We went for the max minutes for the best deal (500 minutes for $150), but were disappointed to find that VOIP (like Skype) applications are blocked so we can’t make calls with our cell phones using Wifi and Google voice. Tomorrow I’ll try to do some online collaboration with my work and I’m hopeful that Webex will not be blocked. In the mean time we can chat with the kids via facebook.

Tomorrow we dock at 8AM at the Royal Caribbean beach playground at Labadee, Haiti. I’m looking forward to some snorkeling and playing a little pickle volleyball with Catrina!

PS Yes, I'll try to post some pictures!

Tomorrow I’ll try to do some online collaboration with my work and I’m hopeful that Webex will not be blocked.

I have never had a problem with any web based VPN applications. Citrix MetaFrame (and presumably XenApp Desktop) have always worked well from ship - although a little ragged and slow like everything else.

Liking the realtime reports.

We were awakened early on Day 3 by the thunder of the screws reversing as the ship docked at Royal Caribbean’s beach playground at Labadee, Haiti. We had a light room service breakfast of coffee and rolls and then headed down to check out the port. It was quit a walk down the concrete pier from the middle of the ship to the beach, but there were dune buggy wheeled chairs and porters to push you if the walk was too much. Once off the pier we entered a Disney Land style park on a lovely peninsula with beaches on all sides. The big beach was on the windward side of the island and had surf and a nice breeze, while the beaches on the leeward were protected coves with flat water. Most cruisers hit the beach or the bars and a few took advantage of the rental jet skies, kayaks and snorkels. It was also fun to hear the screams of the zip liners passing high overhead as they rode in harnesses down the half mile long cables strung from the mountain top over the bay to the headland.

We enjoyed a cold one at the bar and chatted with Berne from London who shared pictures with us of their B&B and his very cute grand daughter. I also joined in a 3 on 3 volley ball game in which I was fortunate to have the ship’s doctor, Leo, and another crew member on my team who were quite good. We won three in a row!

The ship hosted a nice barbecue (no charge) in covered picnic areas above the beach. I had Greek Salad and a nice barbecued spare rib while I sipped on a “Labaduzi” concoction of rum and fruit juice ($11 including the souvenir cup).

We headed back to the ship at 3PM. We had lost track of dad, but the security folks at the check point were kind enough to radio to the ship and verify that he was back on board already. On board we headed back up to the top deck and enjoyed a great view of the island while enjoying the nice cooling wind and a really good poolside band doing lots of three part harmony Beatles and other 60’s songs.

We dined at 7 this evening. It was our best meal yet. The crab cake was outstanding with a nice lime sour cream to the side. Catrina and I both had the Lemon Buer blanc filet of Sole which was very good. Mom had an Angus Sirloin cooked rare and dad had pork loin, both excellent. Our server was Anca, from Romania, and she succeeded in delivering our Espresso and yummy desert at the same time! I had a variation on Teramisou, “Berrymisu” and Catrina had a fabulous lemon marrang tart. Tonight we tried the Estanzia Pinot Noir from Monterey, a nice light red that went well with both the fish and meat.

The second show tonight was at 9PM, a Vegas style rock and roll review with lots of singing and dancing. It was very entertaining. We’d have liked to do some dancing, etc., but were too pooped. Tomorrow we arrive in San Juan, Puerto Rico, in the afternoon so we’re planning a lazy morning. We just need to be up by 11 if we want to catch the fox trot lesson.

Another great day cruising!

Day 4 was a stop in San Juan, Puerto Rico, a territory of the United States with a 500 year old history. The city hosts 1 million of the islands 4 million inhabitants. The approach to the city past the old fort at the entrance to the bay was stunning. We docked right at the base of the old city at 2:30 in the afternoon, but were delayed getting off the boat. There was a hearse waiting at the gang plank and that probably had something to do with the delay! We made a quick stop at the CVS pharmacy for a few necessities (M&M’s for me) and then walked a block or so to the square where we hired a horse and buggy tour ($80 for the four of us). Fourteen year old Lena and 7 year old Sally (the horse) drove us ably around old San Juan past monuments and public buildings. Lena explained that the marble clad capital building has 78 windows representing the 78 cities of the island. We passed the statue of St. John the Baptist, patron saint of the city, as well as a stature of Columbus and a bunch of other historic stuff. Lena also pointed out the Starbucks which we returned to after the tour to use the free Wifi to call home. After Starbucks, we walked around a bit through the tourist shops and trendy restaurants and it felt very much like we were in Europe.

We were back to the ship by 8PM in time to dress for our 9PM “Mytime” dinner reservation. It was my best dinner yet. We started with a variation of a Caprese salad with fresh Mozzarella on a bed of Arugula with diced tomatoes on top. For the entrée I had very nice ricotta stuffed ravioli with a crab mushroom sauce (mostly butter and cream). Catrina had the Coq a van, which unfortunately was dried out by 9PM, although it had excellent flavor and was probably very good earlier in the evening. Mom and dad both had the perch in an herb lemon butter sauce, which they said was their favorite so far. For desert I had a tortilla style French apple tart with vanilla ice cream that was really yummy. We drank the 2007 Raven’s Wood Old Vine Zin with dinner. It was excellent.

After dinner we headed for the show and ended up being part of it. Although we are youngsters on this cruise, being only 49 years old, we got picked to represent the “married more than 30 years”category in the Love and Marriage game show. While we didn’t win, we had a lot of fun being on stage with the other two couples and had some very good laughs. For our efforts we received a nice bottle of Champagne, which I am enjoying presently as I write.

It was another fun day on the Grandeur of the Seas! Tomorrow we head to St. Martin.

Enjoying your posts :)

By the way, what is the ship's condition like? We are sailing early September (in Europe) after her refit next month, but wondered how she looked to you right now?

Also, if you have time in Palermo, do try to look around this fabulously interesting city, and especially the Catacombs of the Capuchins at the north end (we took a cab from the cruise terminal, cost us about @25 euros with tip, we went straight off the ship before it got busy with people off the tourist bus).

It is rather spooky to begin with, seeing all these thousands of mummified people, but extremely absorbing and interesting, and makes for an unusual trip. We spent about an hour wandering up and down the corridors and afterwards, we walked all the way back into town, down the main thoroughfare, which brings you to a lot of the city's tourist sights, including the lovely cathedral and opera house, and then had lunch down a side street (complete with music from the Godfather!).

Palermo is not everyone's cup of tea because, unlike Barcelona, it is not neat and tidy and still bears the scars in some places of the war and other troubles, and is not clean and shiny, but you won't find very many more fascinating cities like this one, so give it time, and give it a go

:)

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Incorpora,_Giuseppe_(1834-1914)_-_n._020_-_Palermo_-_Catacombe_dei_Cappuccini.jpg

and here's a photo of little Rosalia Lombardo, who died in 1920, but is perfectly preserved still and looks like she is sleeping:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombe_dei_Cappuccini

Edited by nellydean

On day 5 we pulled into the pier around 8:30 in morning and parallel parked with 5 other ships. There was another RCI behind us and an NCL and Holland on the other side of the same pier. Then further over there was a Costa and one other. It was quite a sight and quite a contrast to the third-world feel of Saint Martin. We rented a jeep ($40 + $40 insurance + $40 gas) just at the base of the pier just past the information booth and steel drum band and headed off toward the French side of the island toward Orient Beach. We stuck to the East coast roads to avoid the congestion and road closures due to a carnival and children’s parade in Philipsburg. There had been a storm the night before so there was lots of debris on the roads and busy honking traffic everywhere. The open jeep was a bumpy ride and difficult for the girls to get into the back seat, but still lots of fun. It was an easy 30 minutes drive to the beach through very squalid dwellings set in a very arid landscape. We saw lots of broken down cars and very cute goats and some chickens.

Orient beach itself was surrounded by nicely kept tourist accommodations and the beach was spectacular with white sand and water rivaling anywhere in the world that we’ve been. We camped out at the Coco Beach Bar and enjoyed a few cold ones and the scenery. It was a very pleasant 80 degrees with about 10-15 knots of wind. Dad and I both went for a swim. The water was crystal clear and many shades of green and blue. It stayed shallow for a long ways out, but it was tricky for dad to keep his footing with the strong waves and rip tide furrowing the bottom. We stayed just an hour or so and then headed back to avoid the parade street closures at 2PM.

We dinned at 7 and joined a very fun German couple, Rheinart and Irene, traveling from their winter home in Florida back to Germany. Catrina and I both had an Italian stuffed pasta for the starter and it was very good. I had a very bland Tilapia entree, but Catrina had a nice Brie and asparagus quiche that she shared with me. Our wine was again the excellent Trumpeter Malbec. We lingered for more than three hours sharing travel stories and hearing about all the wonderful, exotic trips that R. & I. had experienced over the years. Their descriptions of the 5 star hut on stilts in the Maldives and the 10 person wooden boat cruise on the Turkish coast stand out in my memory of the evening. R. told lots of very funny jokes including, “My wife in an angel. --- You’re very lucky. Mine is still alive.”

We didn’t make the late show, but instead connected with our daughter Gina on facebook chat and got caught up to speed on things back at home.

Another fun day cruising!

Sorry to not be able to respond quickly to your questions, but the internet connection is really poor and it takes me a long time just to upload my post. The ship is actually in really good condition, especially the public areas. The rooms our not grand, but except for the carpet which is a little worn, everything is well maintained.

Day 6 felt luxurious as we continued on our transatlantic eating festival. We slept in again so we started with room service coffee and pastries. I really like the little cinnamon roles and Catrina likes the lemon filled tarts. Around 1PM we headed up to the deck 9 buffet for lunch. I really enjoyed the Greek Musaka and vegetables. They were very spicy. For desert I had a cone from the ever present soft server frozen yogurt machine. My three twirl was a little lop sided compared to my previous efforts.

After lunch we grabbed our Kindles and headed out into the sunshine. Lying on deck 10 above the pool in the 80 degree sunshine I imagined myself an aristocrat from the grand age of Ocean Liners. The view of the sea from high up on the ship is lovely and traveling at 18 knots there is always a strong breeze to keep you at a perfect temperature while reading and napping. The pool area was packed again. The band played and the staff hosted a Miss Grandeur contest which provided a little afternoon entertainment.

Ken and Merrily’s dance lesson was scheduled for 4:30 in the afternoon and it got moved at the last minute causing some confusion, but we managed to find it. It was up high on deck 11 on the small dance floor in the Crown and Viking lounge/bar/disco which looks backward over the main pool area and forward over the indoor Solarium pool area. (I had noticed earlier in the day that the Solarium had its glass roof partly retracted to let in a little breeze). Our dance instructors were dressed to the 9’s in preparation for the dinner which was formal attire for the second time. We reviewed the Rumba and we really had a lot of fun because we were really getting both the basic steps and the turns. During a break we ordered the “drink of the day” which was a Mangorita in a fancy glass which we got to keep ($6.75 each). While we danced, many more Tuxedo and gown costumed couples arrived for a pre dinner drink.

After dancing we headed back to the cabins to dress for dinner. Mom and dad looked great again and Catrina looked fabulous with her tan now really coming along. Dinner was very good. Catrina and I had Caprese salad and we shared the lamb shank and tiger prawns in butter and garlic. The lamb was tender and flavorful with a nice demi glas and the prawns were large and delicious. We stuck with the Malbec again for the wine. All the desserts and coffee were excellent as usual.

After dinner we caught the show which was a “highlights of Broadway” singing and dancing review. I don’t expect to see this cast on Broadway anytime soon, but they can all sing and dance better than I can!

After the show we headed to the Centrum with the laptop to see if we could get connected and check up on our facebook and email. The Wifi was super slow as usual, but we were able to check in and I used up another $7.50 worth of my minutes.

This was day one of the crossing. We’ve now got 5 more lazy days at sea before arriving in the Canary Islands next Sunday. Its time to start exercising so I can eat some more!

Hmmm… I’m sitting here sunburned and very mellow trying to remember yesterday. The days are now starting to merge one into the other as we slip down the rabbit hole into a wonderland of continuous relaxation. Catrina was up early yesterday for a Pilatates class and then she met me at 11 for the Meringue dance lesson. I’ve slipped back into the habit of a morning Americano ($2,25) and the Seattle’s Best stand on-board does a fine job. They also have Ben and Jerry’s ice cream and a nice assortment of pastries and muffins (no charge). The Meringue was a fun dance for us because the on-two step is very easy and we were able to use some of the Salsa moves we learned in our pre-cruise dance lessons.

After our dance lesson we headed up for lunch. I went light with the Tomato salad and Catrina had salad and found some really good feta that had a Brie-like texture. After lunch I hit the Schooner bar for the Spanish lesson. The place was packed and everyone got to practice basic phrases like “Good Morning” and “I would like a beer”. We also learned the days of the week, the months and numbers. The next lesson will include how to tell time. Mom attended a lecture by a former stunt woman that she really enjoyed and Catrina camped out with her Kindle. It was 80 degrees again and the see was very calm. In mid afternoon I was motivated by the runners and walkers passing by on the top deck “track” to join in myself and I managed a mile, half running and half walking. I also did some push-ups and juggled my soccer ball. There is lots of time for exercise, but it is a little difficult to put down your book and your drink in order to do it. I also stretched in the hot tub after my run and that was nice.

I should mention a few things about our room, 2512. We really like the location. It has a window shelf with two large port holes because we are so far forward, but this also means that we have no traffic in the hallway and we are very close to the elevator directly up to the pool and buffet restaurant. Also, the heat and air conditioning work very well and the bed is very comfortable. The shower is also nice and has good water temperature and pressure. The lighting in the room is good and the bedside lights work well for reading with our Kindles. Carey, our chamber guy is great and we had to ask him to quit changing the sheets and towels so often.

Speaking again of food, of which there is a constant flow, we again enjoyed a very nice dinner. For our wine we tried the Peter Lehmann South African Shiraz and it was very good. I started with a Caesar salad and had roast beef cooked rare. The salad was good and the roast beef was tender and well prepared accompanied by mashed potatoes and asparagus spears. For dessert I had Pecan pie which was not so good.

More dancing is on tap for tomorrow. We’ve got Salsa at noon and we loose another hour so hopefully we’ll be up by then. If not, the Waltz review doesn’t start until 4:15. Wow, what another great day at sea!

Hi Nellydean,

We actually visited those crypts and saw the mummies once before, but thanks for the reminder. It will be fun to take my parents down there. If I remember right, I think there might even be a pope.

-GiovanniB

Have you had a chance to hear the duo Bogart & Boyd? We heard them on Allure and enjoyed them tremendously.

Thanks for your excellent LIVE review.

Day 8 began with a 10 o’clock wake up call which I quickly answered and reset for 10:30. Very nice! We’re resetting the clocks an hour forward every night during the crossing so we end up going to bed late and getting up late. Dance class with Ken and Merrily was Waltz at 11. The Waltz is simple enough, 1 2 3, 1 2 3, down, up, up, down, up, up, but really pretty tricky to do without running into other people on the floor. It feels nice and smooth when you start to get it. After dance we headed up for a light lunch. I had a nice salad again and then we headed to the pool. It was a little cooler and hazy, which was dangerous in terms of sun burn. We usually sit on the top deck overlooking the pool, but we sat on the pool deck to get out of the wind. Next to us were Tony and Debbie, from the “Villages” in Florida where they have 20 or 40 or some big number of golf courses. We shared some skiing stories and they told us about a 49 day repositioning tour they did once from New York to Los Angeles touching 25 port cities. They said it was really great if you had the time.

After sunning for an hour I headed up for some push-ups and a mile run and half mile walk followed by a nice stretch in the hot tub. Like I said before, it is hard to get out of the chair, but once you get going it feels great.

We had dinner again with mom and dad and Irene and Rheinert. They shared the story of how they met during the Faeshing carnival in Bavaria 25 years ago and how she kissed him, but he didn’t know what she looked like because she was wearing a mask. It must have been a good kiss! Dinner was good. I had the steak oscar with the crab hollandaise sauce cooked blue and it was nice and tender. The starters and deserts were forgettable. The espresso was excellent again with a perfect crema.

The show was fun. It was Alan Chamal, a “mentalist” from Miami who did mind reading and magic and comedy. After the show we checked out the packed Karaoke just long enough to hear a tortured version of Elvis’s “In the Ghetto”. I really felt like howling along, but my wife didn’t think it would be polite. Fortunately, just near by the ship’s band was playing some very nice jazz in the Schooner bar complete with drums, upright bass, trumpet, sax, trombone, piano and guitar. We enjoyed a drink and some music before heading back to the cabin around 1:30AM. We realize that a good portion of the guests are living in the late night and sleeping in the day, but we’re too old to stay up that late! After the music we should have headed to bed, but instead we stopped by the late night grill and had some French fries. I should have run two miles! It was a perfect end to another really fun day.