Bringing Booze on Board

CruisinFools

One more question about bringing your own alcohol on board. I was told by a Princess rep that wine, champagne and beer are allowed, but no hard liquor. However, I have read here that, if we pack it in our checked luggage (not our carry-ons), it shouldn't be a problem. (The Princess rep said that we cannot pack it in our checked bags.) We're on the Tahitian Princess, June 3rd. Also, if we purchase booze on the islands, can we take them back on board. I've read that, as long as we're discreet about it (like hiding it in our beach bags), it's no big deal.

I've been told that we should order it from Princess and have it delivered to our cabin. So we can pay Princess twice the price of what Costco sells it for, yeah, right. What say you party animals? (Just kidding!).

Joyce

Pack it in your suitcase before the cruise if you want to bring it from home. And if you buy it on the islands yes you can put it in your beach bags, I recommend putting a few "beach items" in the bag along with the liquor so that they don't hear the bottles in their. You should not have a problem with either of these.

Just come back off the Star princess and yes you can take wine/champagne on board

We bought some duty free at one of the ports and the guy went to take it off us.

I think he couldnt be bothered filling out the form as he said oh go on just dont tell anyone and next time change the bags

So your not supposed to but many do.

Also, check the prices of the bottles that Princess sells (look in the "send a gift" section). Subtract $2 from the online prices to get the onboard price. You may find it is a better price than what you pay at home, and no smuggling is necessary.

Only wine and champagne are listed in the Princess literature, but nobody ever has reported any trouble bringing onboard beer or soda or water. Or coffee, coffee makers and tea, for that matter. I believe the rule is related to the tax stamp required on hard liquor, but beer, wine and champagne are taxed differently, and do not fall under the same laws.

i was thinking of bringing a box of wine for our stateroom, like having a glass of wine before dinner, we always buy wine in the dining room anyway.

was thinking about wrapping it up like a present like chris did last summer :D

sounds like i don't really have to do that now i can just bring it on board in a paper bag or something.

gerry

sounds like i don't really have to do that now i can just bring it on board in a paper bag or something.

Yep, you can just carry it right on board! I usually stop at the liquor store to pick up a few bottles of wine on my way to the pier, so I just carry it on in the grocery bag I am given, or put it in my back pack.

Was on the Caribbean Princess last week. Had a bottle of rum sent to room. However also brought two pints of rum which i bought in FL for some other people, a sixpack of beer and a sixpack of diet coke in the carry on. Noone said nothing. Only pain is carrying all this stuff. I also wanted to bring water, had a few bottles but you know next time I wouldn't waist my time or deal with hauling all that stuff. It is reasonable to buy water on the ship or in ports and also diet soda and beer. My husband picked up a couple bottles of beer in each port and brought them back on no problem. Also picked up two bottles of Coconut rum my cousin wanted in St. Martin. They didn't have a box for it as it was right near where you board the ship. Put in our carry on that we had brought to the beach and brought it on no problem. Did buy liquor in St. Thomas that they boxed which i gave to them when i boarded and they delivered it to stateroom on Fri. aft. which was fine i wanted to bring it home anyways. Hope this helps.

Was on the Caribbean Princess last week. Had a bottle of rum sent to room.

So, if I understand this correctly, I can purchase a bottle of liquor on the ship for consumption in the room?

Thanks,

Steve

This was not on Princess but on HAL, We were on a cruise that started in SF its 1st port was LA, after checking out the wines/champagnes available the 1st night on board. We got off in LA (Long Beach) and found a liquor store.

Bought a case of wine/champagne and took it back to ship - this is a full case. The scanner stopped to inquire what was in the box, we told him, and he let us right through. We did pay corkage if we took a bottle to dinning room, but we now had good wine at a better price.

Also on an Alaska cruise 2 yrs ago, we carried on 5 bottles of champagne purchased in Vancouver cheaply, good French champagne at about 1/2 the cost of on board. We paid corkage in dinning room for only 2 of the bottles, waiter waived for other bottles. I do so love my champagne.

We plan to carry on wine/champagne again in October.

We are boarding in Vancouver the first week of June. Where is the best place to purchase wine and beer in Vancouver and has anyone ever had trouble carrying it on the ship there.Should we keep itin our carry on or put it in our other bags as we are flying in a day early.

So, if I understand this correctly, I can purchase a bottle of liquor on the ship for consumption in the room?

Thanks,

Steve

Yes, from room service or you can pick it up at one of the bars. You cannot buy it from the duty free and take back to you room though. Prices are quite reasonable.

Scott

There hasn't been a tax stamp on booze since 1970.(unless you ar Canadian)

Yes:o ,you are correct, and I am ashamed to admit I am old enough to remember the old paper strips. The point was meant to be that I was told that the law(s) which put hard liquor into a different category than beer and wine, and which determine the duties charged, and the types of liquor licenses required in selling establishments, all have something to do with the tax status of booze, and thus the Princess limits on what can and cannot be brought aboard. And that we should count ourselves lucky that Princess does not simply ban all alcohol brought aboard, as do some other lines.

Steve, yes. You can either go and purchase it at the shop yourself or order bottles through room service. Prices seem to range from 22 - 35 a bottle

Room service and bottles purchased from the designated bar on board can be consumed on board. Bottles purchased in the duty free shops will be held until the last night.

All liquor stores are "state controlled" what ever they call it there.

They are located all over Vancouver. We found one about 5 blocks from Pier but we had a car so no problem. I would check on the Port Board and I am sure something is listed. the prices are the same in all the stores. We wanted a certain Champagne and the store we were in looked it up on computer and told us where we could get it. Even called to have them hold the Champagne.

I found all this on Vancouver web site - have forgotten which one now

2 yrs ago.

Based on my experience with shopping in Canada, it probably is cheaper buying it on the ship. If you are driving up from the States I would recommend you stop at the border and buyyour bottles at the duty free shop at theborder of at the duty free shop at the airport.

Archived