Cruise Critic Community
OCruisers

Scenic Railway Ride & Coastal Cruise

Has anyone been of the Scenic Railway & Coastal Cruise (by catamaran) ?

If so, please tell us about it. We're especially interested in the Coastal Cruise by catamaran part of this tour.

I was just on St. Kitts on Monday and did the scenic railway for the second time. I loved it just as much as the first time. It's creaky and noisy and the cars sway a lot, so if that's not your type of fun you might not enjoy it. But it's a great way to see the island and I would do it again.

Don't know anything about the catamaran, I'm afraid.

Beagle One ... Thanks! Much appreciated! The railway ride part would not be a problem for us. Did you sit in the top or lower section?

The reason this particular excursion caught our interest was because it's one way by rail and the other by catamaran.

Would love to hear from anyone who has been on this catamaran part of it!

Oh, that sounds cool! We went the other way by bus. Not as interesting as a catamaran.

I sat on top, of course! :) Most people do...I saw very few people downstairs. You don't have to pick one or the other, though, there's a staircase in each car that's accessible during the ride, and a bathroom downstairs. There's also a nice attendant in each car who serves drinks...both rum-based and rum-free, including sodas, and they're included in the fare.

Done the scenic rail and sail combo twice and found it to be better than just the scenic rail on its own. Don't recall seeing any beer. Beverages ( alcoholic and soft drinks and sweet snacks (coconut sugar cakes) as much as you like included in price). Something of interest -they have bought another train as they plan to reopen the western track (Basseterre to Brimstone Hill) and stop at 1 or 2 plantations along the way- a scenic rail plantation trail type of tour. Sounds good.

I don't recall hearing anything about beer one way or the other...I stopped listening after pina colada! :D

Did you book this tour through the cruiseline or private. If private, do you have a website?

that sucks-- that page does not work. I googled it and it still doesnt work.

anyidea of the cost of an excursion like that/

We're especially interested in the Coastal Cruise by catamaran part of this tour.

It's a 4 hour tour... $149.00 pp. The difference in this and others mentioned is that it returns by catamaran, not a bus/land transportation.

Certainly have appreciated info on the railway ride ... BUT would so very much like to hear from someone who has done this with a return by catamaran which is what the tour we're considering offers.

Done the scenic rail and sail combo twice and found it to be better than just the scenic rail on its own. Don't recall seeing any beer. Beverages ( alcoholic and soft drinks and sweet snacks (coconut sugar cakes) as much as you like included in price). Something of interest -they have bought another train as they plan to reopen the western track (Basseterre to Brimstone Hill) and stop at 1 or 2 plantations along the way- a scenic rail plantation trail type of tour. Sounds good.

Interesting. I had not heard about that. Any idea on time frame for it to get running?

Done the scenic rail and sail combo twice and found it to be better than just the scenic rail on its own. Don't recall seeing any beer. Beverages ( alcoholic and soft drinks and sweet snacks (coconut sugar cakes) as much as you like included in price).

Thanks for saying that! It seems like it would be worth the price difference.

It's a 4 hour tour... $149.00 pp. The difference in this and others mentioned is that it returns by catamaran, not a bus/land transportation.

:o Correction: It's $139.00 pp.

Whatever, we're booked on it for our upcoming cruise in January.

Any additional comments on this tour would be appreciated.

LuLu

~~~~

Did the rail ride in 2011 April and enjoyed it.Since then,and I had never thought about this,the rail cars were headed down to a ravine trellace and came off tracks.If that happened too close to ravine it would have been a disaster.I don't think anyone was hurt and they used a mobile crane to lift and put it back on the tracks.Not the same standards as Canada and United States.I should research this for the complete story.My DW won't go again this year because of that,but I would.:eek:

:o Correction: It's $139.00 pp.

Whatever, we're booked on it for our upcoming cruise in January.

Any additional comments on this tour would be appreciated.

LuLu

~~~~

Hopefully we'll get more feedback now that it's Caribbean cruising season! We've booked this excursion as well. Interestingly, I just looked at it for the departure time as my husband has a conference call that morning and it's being offered at $159 pp :confused: Guess we got a bargain!

Pam

Hopefully we'll get more feedback now that it's Caribbean cruising season! We've booked this excursion as well. Interestingly, I just looked at it for the departure time as my husband has a conference call that morning and it's being offered at $159 pp :confused: Guess we got a bargain!

Pam

Good Catch Pam!

Glad you and I both had booked prior to the price increase! That's a $40 per couple savings!

That made me think to check on some others we have booked. There were some price increases on them too.

You're right: Hopefully, we'll get some more feedback now that cruise ships are beginning their Caribbean season and once again calling on St.Kitts.

LuLu

~~~~

I will be cruisiing to St Kitts in April, 2013. Thinking seriously of doing the Scenic Coastal Ride with the Catamaran return. My one question is this. Is the Catamaran completely in the open? I cannot have direct sun for an extended period of time. But, if the seats are under cover or if you have a choice of open or under cover, I would definitely be interested. Can anyone help me out with this?

Since it's a sailing catamaran, at the very least you'll be able to sit where the sail is casting its shadow.

Like you, I can't be in direct sun for too long. We frequently go out on sailing catamarans and I've never had a problem doing so.

LuLu

~~~~

I have been to St Kitts 3 times and have never taken the train.

I will be going again in April too and am thinking it is the one ride

I should finally do;):)

Lulu, are you going next month? Would you report back for me?:D

Please:)

Lois,

We're leaving next month and will be home by mid February (20 day cruise and driving). For sure, I'll report back to you on what we thought about it.

LuLu

~~~~

Lois,

We're leaving next month and will be home by mid February (20 day cruise and driving). For sure, I'll report back to you on what we thought about it.

LuLu

~~~~