Cruise Critic Community
OCruisers

Scenic Railway Ride & Coastal Cruise

I have been to St Kitts 3 times and have never taken the train.

I will be going again in April too and am thinking it is the one ride

I should finally do;):)

Lulu, are you going next month? Would you report back for me?:D

Please:)

Same here. This will be our second time in St. Kitts and decided this time it will be the train. It is something different and I think this will make for a nice morning on the island.

Back with a report as promised.

The train part was very nice and fun to do with fellow cruisers. :) There was room for everyone to sit below or the covered area up top on each car. We liked the top. It was a very pleasant way to tour that part of St. Kitts -- lovely views and passed through areas where people were living and working. Lots of friendly waves along the way.

Service was excellent ... seemed to want to make sure we were having a good time. Drinks n/c were served and replaced as needed -- rum punch, rum &Coke/Diet Coke, frozen daiquiris, juices, soft drinks, etc. No beer.

The Catamaran Costal Cruise part was NOT good. The caramaran used was way too small. It took forever to board because people didn't know in advance they would have to remove their shoes and there was no place for them to sit down to do so. Once on the catamaran, it was extremely crowded. Not enough seats without sitting on the floor or a low rail. Too hard for many folks to get up and down from the floor. Extremely limited area of shade and to hard to get to where the sail was casting its shadow ... also only floor seating for those who could get to it. We stood the entire time so some of those who really needed could sit down. At least there was beer.

Over the years we've been on MANY ships (various cruise lines) catamaran tours and have never experienced any nearly as BAD as this. :mad:

Bottom Line: Consider doing the train part only.

LuLu

~~~~

Hi Lulu:) thanks for the review! Next time I go to St Kitts I will

probably do the train:D

The train part was very nice and fun to do with fellow cruisers. :) There was room for everyone to sit below or the covered area up top on each car. We liked the top. It was a very pleasant way to tour that part of St. Kitts -- lovely views and passed through areas where people were living and working. Lots of friendly waves along the way.

Service was excellent ... seemed to want to make sure we were having a good time. Drinks n/c were served and replaced as needed -- rum punch, rum &Coke/Diet Coke, frozen daiquiris, juices, soft drinks, etc. No beer.

The Catamaran Costal Cruise part was NOT good. The caramaran used was way too small. It took forever to board because people didn't know in advance they would have to remove their shoes and there was no place for them to sit down to do so. Once on the catamaran, it was extremely crowded. Not enough seats without sitting on the floor or a low rail. Too hard for many folks to get up and down from the floor. Extremely limited area of shade and to hard to get to where the sail was casting its shadow ... also only floor seating for those who could get to it. We stood the entire time so some of those who really needed could sit down. At least there was beer.

Over the years we've been on MANY ships (various cruise lines) catamaran tours and have never experienced any nearly as BAD as this. :mad:

LuLu

~~~~

Is the train wheelchair accessible?

Is the train wheelchair accessible?

No, the train is NOT wheelchair accessible.

There's a sort of narrow enterance to board the train and a few

steps to climb to sit in the lower section. Many more steps to the top section.

Note: I double checked on my excursion sheet for the train part. It is marked NO Wheelchair Access.

LuLu

~~~~

No, the train is NOT wheelchair accessible.

There's a sort of narrow enterance to board the train and a few

steps to climb to sit in the lower section. Many more steps to the top section.

Note: I double checked on my excursion sheet for the train part. It is marked NO Wheelchair Access.

LuLu

~~~~

Thank you LuLu!

So we are back and here are my thoughts....

We did the train on this visit to St. Kitts and though I found it enjoyable and I am glad that we did it I am not quite sure that it is worth the price and I doubt that I would do it again. It provides a different experience from a taxi or van and gives you a different perspective of the island. I am glad that we did a regular tour on our first stop at the island as you get out and experience certain places. In particular, I would have been disappointed if this was our first trip and I did not get the chance to explore Brimstone Fortress.

Bottom line is that I have no regrets about booking, I would not book on a first visit to the island, and I doubt that I would book again.

We just came back from Equinox, where we booked the "rail&sail" through Celebrity. We enjoyed both facets of the journey. We boarded the catamaran first, and did not find it crowded at all. The guides were very helpful and informative. We had plenty of cold beer and run punch for the sail. Unlike some "sailing" excursions we have taken, where the sails were never even unfurled, this catamaran traveled almost exclusively using wind power -- very nice. The train was great, too. We were on the upper level, with lots of entertainment and cold drinks. The scenery was amazing, and the narrative was very informative. Don't know if I would do this particular excursion again, but it was a great way to see St. Kitts for the first time! :cool:

LuLu

~~~~

Thank you for this review. If we decide to not do the catamaran part of this, how would we get back to the ship? Is there a place close by to get a taxi? Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Thank you for this review. If we decide to not do the catamaran part of this, how would we get back to the ship? Is there a place close by to get a taxi? Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Princess offered two different excursions for the Railway Ride. Ours took us back by catamaran. The other used land transportation to go back.

If we do it again, we'll book the one using the land transportation to go back.

LuLu

~~~~

For those who choose to do the train only they have buses that take you from where the train portion ends back to the port. You don't have to worry about getting a taxi or making your own plans to get back.

How much is the train/bus excursion?

On Princess in January it was $119 pp.

The one with the catamaran return was $149 pp.

LuLu

~~~~

How much is the train/bus excursion?

This past March it was $99.00 pp on RCI.