Premium Liquor Question

cruiserj12

We will be taking our first regents cruise and I have a question about the included level of liquor available. I have seen posted that there is a charge for premium wines and liquors. Can anyone clarify what is considered a premium liquor, I pretty much understand the wine situation? For example, would tangueray, stoli, kettle one, maker's mark, grey goose, etc... be considered premium. Or, are they referring to really nice cognacs, scotches, and ports. I would die if I all they provide as part of the inclusive package was Mr. Boston's.

I'm pretty much of a vodka drinker and know that Stoli, Grey Goose, Chopin, etc. are definitely regular pours. Bushmills and Jameson are also regular pours as is Tangueray. As you suggested, it is generally the high end scotch, cognac, etc. that there is a charge for. The one area where they are a bit weak is tequila -- most decent tequila does have a charge. You certainly will not be stuck with a "inclusive package of Mr. Boston's":D

I am not a big drinker of spirits, mostly just stick to wine. But the standard brands you list are not considered premium, so you can get them without extra charge. Premium are really expensive cognacs, ports, etc.

We will be taking our first regents cruise and I have a question about the included level of liquor available. I have seen posted that there is a charge for premium wines and liquors. Can anyone clarify what is considered a premium liquor, I pretty much understand the wine situation? For example, would tangueray, stoli, kettle one, maker's mark, grey goose, etc... be considered premium. Or, are they referring to really nice cognacs, scotches, and ports. I would die if I all they provide as part of the inclusive package was Mr. Boston's.

You can get a list(s) of the comp. wines and liquors and the premiums too from Regent or your TA. We have both this will answer your question:)

No tequila shots. . . . but. the chocolate martinis with your favorite vodka are wonderful for dessert (and hardly any calories);) We also drink mostly wine. . . but do enjoy some of the wonderful concoctions that the bartenders invent.

I believe there were 4 malt whiskies available as regular pours. They were Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie, Macallan , and another that escapes me but all of those are respectable and served me well:)

cruiserj12,

Here's the bar list from November 2008. There may have been a few changes in the interim but it will give you a good idea of what to expect. Hope this helps. You won't be thirsty. :D

2666046940101716102idRIEB_th.jpg

I believe there were 4 malt whiskies available as regular pours. They were Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie, Macallan , and another that escapes me but all of those are respectable and served me well:)

March 2012 Scotch List

Glenfiddicih

Glennrangie

McCallan

JW Red Label

JW Black Label

Chevas Regal

Glenlivit

Cutty Sark

J & B

Jamison Irish

J

When Regent advertises that "premium" spirits are included, I think for the most part that is a very fair claim. Certainly, for those who prefer Scotch whiskies or vodkas, there is a good selection of mass market upscale and premium brands, including some of the widely available single malts. I have found the included list gets much smaller if you are looking for tequila (as others noted above), or rum. In addition, there are only the obvious suspects among the premium gin brands. As for bourbons, there are just a few, and American rye whiskey, as I recall, just one.

What is missing, unless very recently introduced, is any recognition of the numerous "craft" spirits and mixers that are appearing in the American marketplace. For example, there are some very worthy new gins appearing on local shelves, including an array from St. George distillers, and a fine effort (from Wisconsin of all places) by Death's Door Distillers. And, in San Francisco at least, it seems every other cocktail has some sort of exotic flavoring in it.

Perhaps it is time for Regent to do for spirits what they have done for food and wine: bring aboard some noted cocktailians and new craft spirits and put on some cocktail making and tasting events.

What year McCallan?

It is the Macallan Select Oak "The 1824 Collection" Speyside Single Malt.

No age given, so I fairly sure it is a blend. The only place I have seen this is on Regent and in a few Airport Duty free shop, I a not sure if it can be purchased retail. For myself, I do not care for it. It has too much of a smoky peat flavor and a lot of sherry overtones. Reminds me of Johnnie Walker Black. From what I remember of the costs at the airport, around US 55.00/liter, I would certainly call it a premium brand.

I too wish that Regent would expand their Whisky/Whiskey selection as was mentioned above to include some of the finer crafted like Crown Royal XR. The only premium they have is JW Blue and while it is good, it isn't all that special.

j

It is the Macallan Select Oak "The 1824 Collection" Speyside Single Malt.

No age given, so I fairly sure it is a blend. The only place I have seen this is on Regent and in a few Airport Duty free shop, I a not sure if it can be purchased retail. For myself, I do not care for it. It has too much of a smoky peat flavor and a lot of sherry overtones. Reminds me of Johnnie Walker Black. From what I remember of the costs at the airport, around US 55.00/liter, I would certainly call it a premium brand.

I too wish that Regent would expand their Whisky/Whiskey selection as was mentioned above to include some of the finer crafted like Crown Royal XR. The only premium they have is JW Blue and while it is good, it isn't all that special.

j

So no McCallan 18 or 25 on the premium list? THAT would be what I would consider a premium single malt!

Perhaps it is time for Regent to do for spirits what they have done for food and wine: bring aboard some noted cocktailians and new craft spirits and put on some cocktail making and tasting events.

Great idea!

esimon, every black russian I've had on board has been exquisite.

edit: Aloha, I've had one of The Macallan that had a year on it but I don't remember what it was. Could have been a 12? Maybe an 8 or 10....

So no McCallan 18 or 25 on the premium list? THAT would be what I would consider a premium single malt!

They had in the past and may still have another liquor list in the Connoisseurs smoking lounge with some other premium listings. Seems to me that they have Macallan 18, Laphroiag, JW Gold/Blue and some others along with some Bourbons, Tequilias, Cognacs/Armagnacs and ports. Memory is fuzzy.

J

Archived