embarking and disembarking at ports?

Rainbowfalls

Could someone please explain the embarking process? Do you just walk to a desk and sign stuff or do you wait in a lobby area till your name is called? How long are the waits typically and do they have seating while you wait?

As for disembarking like at ports how do they disembark everyone? Does everyone just get to leave at once or do you have to wait for your floor to be called, do you disembark in boats to get to the shore or do they just lower a plank from ship to shore?

When embarking again if you have to get back on the ship at say 5:00 and there is a line does the ship just up and leave at 5 even though there are people waiting to get back on? What info do you show to get back on the ship, just the s&s card or your id and such also? How long does it take for this too?

^_^ Sorry for the questions just I am so excited and wanting as much info as I can. >_< i feel like i wont be prepared no matter how many questions I ask lol.

If you are waiting in line to get back onto the ship, they will make sure you get on it. You need sign and sail card, and usually a photo id. The Fun Times will list what is needed, and the time to be back on-board.

For disembarking at ports,you go down (usually deck0 forward?). Sometimes you wait 5 min in line, sometimes you walk right off the ship. (If it is a tender port, it takes quite a bit longer to leave. Then you get numbered tickets for the tenders, in the show lounge, and wait till your number is called.)

If you can't stand for long, just wait a bit longer to leave.

Could someone please explain the embarking process? Do you just walk to a desk and sign stuff or do you wait in a lobby area till your name is called? How long are the waits typically and do they have seating while you wait? At your port of embarkation, it is a lot like checking in for a flight. If you have your Fun Pass already printed (good idea), you will just show your passport or BC and ID and a port agent will check you in. Depending on when you arrive, you may have to wait in line, but it goes quick. Then usually you will be directed to a waiting area and sometimes given a Zone card, which is just the Zone you will board in, again a lot like boarding a plane. If you get there early (say 11am) you will get one of the first zones but probably have a little wait. My experience is that you board anywhere from 11:30 to 12:30. They will not call individual names. There is seating and usually some lemonade and water offered.

As for disembarking like at ports how do they disembark everyone? Does everyone just get to leave at once or do you have to wait for your floor to be called, do you disembark in boats to get to the shore or do they just lower a plank from ship to shore? If you are docked at the port, an announcement will be made that you can get off the ship as soon as local customs and immigration clears the ship. You will then use a gangway at specified locations - look in the fun times for which deck they are on or just follow the crowd. If you are at a tender port, usually the Carnival excursion passengers get the first tender tickets, but basically you may either meet in a lounge, or just go to the door that is open to get on the tenders.

When embarking again if you have to get back on the ship at say 5:00 and there is a line does the ship just up and leave at 5 even though there are people waiting to get back on? What info do you show to get back on the ship, just the s&s card or your id and such also? How long does it take for this too? If there is a line, the ship will not leave, but usually if sail time is 5:00, you are supposed to be back on board by 4:30, so there should be very few people trying to get back on right at 5:00. Just make sure if you are at a tender port that you are back to the tender on port before you should be back on the ship. The Fun Times will tell you when the last tender is back to the ship, but of course they will run them if people are still in line.

^_^ Sorry for the questions just I am so excited and wanting as much info as I can. >_< i feel like i wont be prepared no matter how many questions I ask lol.

Hope you have a great time on your cruise!!!

Could someone please explain the embarking process? Do you just walk to a desk and sign stuff or do you wait in a lobby area till your name is called? How long are the waits typically and do they have seating while you wait?

As for disembarking like at ports how do they disembark everyone? Does everyone just get to leave at once or do you have to wait for your floor to be called, do you disembark in boats to get to the shore or do they just lower a plank from ship to shore?

When embarking again if you have to get back on the ship at say 5:00 and there is a line does the ship just up and leave at 5 even though there are people waiting to get back on? What info do you show to get back on the ship, just the s&s card or your id and such also? How long does it take for this too?

Hey Rainbow, don't ever be sorry about asking questions, that's the whole reason this site is here. :)

Embarkation - You can arrive at the port anywhere between 10:30ish and 2:30ish depending on when your ship is scheduled to leave. Each homeport is a little different, but basically you'll hand your luggage over to a porter and it'll show up outside your cabin later that day. You'll get in a line to go through security. It's kind of like the airport. They will run your carryon through a scanner. Then it's up an escalator or elevator and you'll be given a health questionnaire to complete. You enter another line where you'll be checked in and given you Sign & Sail card as well as a Zone number. When they start letting passengers on the ship, they will call them by zone. You'll then get in another line to board. Midway through the line you'll stop and they will take your picture which will be linked with your S&S card for visual identification. Then you walk through something similiar to the gangway for an airplane. And whalah! You're on the ship. Lines and time waiting depends on when you get there. I've always arrived around 11am and never waited more than 15 minutes in a line and then another 20 minutes to board. Yes, they have seating areas for you to wait.

Disembarkation at ports of call depend on what port it is. Some you have to tender in (Grand Cayman, Belize, etc.). Others you'll dock. If you're at a port where you dock, you just follow the instructions, go down and walk off the ship. You'll have to scan your S&S card when you get off the ship. If it's a tender port, it depends on what you're doing. They'll give you plenty of instructions on the PA system. Just make sure you listen.

There's a little debate on what to take with you - drivers license/picture ID or passport/passport card. You'll need one of these. I usually just take my drivers license with me. But some will say if you miss the boat, then you won't be able to get home or to the next port without your passport. I've never come close to missing the boat. So that's a judgment call for you.

Embarkation at the ports of call is just you getting in line, swiping your S&S card again. Anything you've purchased will be run through a scanner. If you have purchased alcohol or candles, they will be confiscated and you'll get a claim ticket to pick it up before you leave the ship at the end of your cruise. You actually have to be back on the ship 30 minutes before the ship is scheduled to leave. So if you come running down the pier with 2 minutes left before the ship leaves, odds are there won't be a line. LOL Just don't cut it that close. Most times you'll need to show your license/ID/passport to get back into the port. You'll need your S&S card to get back onto the ship.

Hope this helps. Happy cruising! :)

Archived