Lisbon cruise ship terminal Holland America to Belem

Well, yes, that clearly states Rocha. I find that intriguing, because the Port here assigns the terminals, and they only release that info 2 months in advance. Perhaps you cruise line has enough clout to book a specific terminal in advance.

As far as I know, there is no ticket sales outlet convenient to Rocha. I will scout out the area and find out. And clearly I have time.

You should know that the two major public transport companies in Lisbon (Carris and Metro) are in the process of merging, so it's quite likely that there will be changes to tickets and sales outlets between now and May 2013.

Many, many thanks First Time. I will be greatly appreciative of any information you can provide. :)

jill

Your directions were excellent. We will be docking at the Rocha de Obidos terminal. I am trying to figure out how to catch the 28 bus and the train. I am confused since there appears to be two train stations - Alcantara Terra and Alcantara Mar. We need to catch the Alcantara Mar to Cascais. You photo shows a sign that says Alcantara Terra. Is the train station in the pictures Alcantara Mar? Also, would you know how we would access the train station from Rocha de Obidos? Thanks so much.

Your directions were excellent. We will be docking at the Rocha de Obidos terminal. I am trying to figure out how to catch the 28 bus and the train. I am confused since there appears to be two train stations - Alcantara Terra and Alcantara Mar. We need to catch the Alcantara Mar to Cascais. You photo shows a sign that says Alcantara Terra. Is the train station in the pictures Alcantara Mar? Also, would you know how we would access the train station from Rocha de Obidos? Thanks so much.

Terrier,

Those directions with photos were to get from the Alcântara Cruise Terminal to the kiosk that sells the bus/tram/metro passes. They are not from the Rocha terminal, nor for the 28 or the Cascais train. Let me explain the major difference.

See this picture, edited off of a Google aerial photo.

Picture12.jpg

Notice the two cruise terminals that I labeled: Alcántara and Rocha. Notice also the 3 train stations (blue train icons). The station immediately to the north of the Alcântara cruise terminal is the Alcântara-Mar station. The station further inland, to the north of that, is the Alcântara-Terra station. And the station at the far right of the picture is the Santos station.

Santos and Alcântara-Mar stations are on the Cascais line, which runs east-west along the waterfront. Alcântara-Terra is on a different train line, which starts there and runs north towards the zoo and the Oriente, with connections to the north of Portugal (Fátima, Coimbra, Porto). Most cruisers will only care about the Cascais line.

To get from the Alcântara station to the Cascais line, you take the tunnel as described in post # 18. That tunnel goes under the Cascais rail line. While in the tunnel you purchase your ticket from the ticket office (if open) or the ticket machine. Then you go up stairs in the middle of the tunnel to the train platform. If you were going to Alcântara-Terra station or to catch a bus or tram you would continue all the way across the tunnel, and that is why you see signs to Alcântara-Terra in the photo exiting the tunnel at the far end. Clear as mud?

Here are some photos of the ticket office, ticket machine, and the mid-tunnel access to the platform.

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

But you asked about Rocha. It is trickier from Rocha. Refer back to the Google aerial photo. Rocha's terminal is about 1.2 km (3/4 mile) east of the Alcântara terminal. But you can NOT walk between the two. The area between the two terminals is a container/cargo terminal, and they won't let you walk it. There are only three ways out of Rocha: take a tour bus, take a taxi, or walk north. Buses and taxis are allowed to traverse the container terminal from Alcântara to go pick up and drop off at Rocha. But walk north? How come? It's water there. True. It is the entrance to a marina. What you don't see in the aerial photo is that there is a pedestrian drawbridge right in front of Rocha, leading to the landside. That bridge was retracted when the Google photo was taken, so you don't see it. But trust me, it exists, and when a ship is in port they tend to keep the bridge usable by pedestrians most of the time. Occasionally they have to move the bridge to let boats in/out of the marina.

So, how do you get from Rocha to the Cascais train or bus 28 or tram 15? In all cases, you cross the pedestrian draw bridge and continue straight ahead.

For the trains to Cascais, you can choose to get on the train at Alcântara-Mar or at Santos. Google aerials to the rescue again.

Picture16.jpg

From the decision point, Santos station is closest, about 700 meters or 0.4 miles east. Alcântara-Mar station is farther, about 1100 meters or 0.7 miles west, because you have to go to the farthest (western) end of the station where the ticket machines are. All trains stop at Alcântara, only some trains stop at Santos. So it depends on your walking ability and your destination. For moderate or better walking ability, I would go to Alcântara if my destination was Estoril or Cascais, and would go to Santos if my destination was Belém. Why? All trains to Belém stop at Santos.

For the tram 15 or bus 28 you are going to have to cross the train tracks. More on that in the next post as this one is getting long.

To take tram 15 or bus 28 from Rocha, cross the pedestrian bridge, and then you will have to cross the train tracks. DO THIS CAREFULLY. There is an official crossing, and that is where you should cross. Trains go fast here. Do NOT try to beat a train. People die here trying to cross in front of an approaching train. Trains are approaching faster than they appear. Be very careful here.

To get to the train crossing...

Picture16x.jpg

The official pedestrian crossing of the train tracks. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CROSS TRACKS ANYWHERE ELSE.

Picture18.jpg

And a close up Google aerial showing the location of the bus and tram stops (red ovals) and your walking path (blue line).

Picture17.jpg

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

If you are going to Belém by public transportation from a cruise terminal, should you take tram 15 or bus 28? Most tourists tend to take tram 15 because they want to experience a Lisbon tram. Little do they know that tram 15 is NOT a classic Lisbon tram. All other Lisbon tram lines use classic/vintage tram cars, but 15 uses modern trams, much like you will find in any European city.

See this

. See how tram 15 is so much different from all the other trams? Tram 15 is by no means the classic tram experience you may be counting on.

Yet tram 15 i used by many tourists, and therefore also pickpockets prying on those tourists.

A better alternative to Belém is bus 28, which runs mostly along the same route as tram 15 in the areas that matter.

Here is a picture of bus 28 approaching the Alcântara-Mar bus stop.

IMG_1495.jpg

And a close up of bus 28, showing the Free WiFi indication. Yes, bus 28 has free wifi, tram 15 does not (yet). Bus 28 also has air conditioning (but then again so does tram 15).

IMG_1496.jpg

Like tram 15, bus 28 is a modern bus with no vintage or nostalgia feel. But it is a much better choice for cruisers going to Belém than tram 15.

Let's compare.

Picture20.png

Green shows the wins. As you can see, the bus wins on most counts. The tram only wins on frequency (and slightly) and on late night service (big win there).

Notice also how the tram does not really service the Jardim do Tabaco and Santa Apolónia cruise terminals. The nearest tram stop to those terminals is at Praça do Comércio.

You are a blessing. This is exactly the information I was looking for to get from the dock to public transportation. I am leaving in a few hours and you input is so timely. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get across the water or through the docks to the train or bridge and no where on the Lisboa Port site do they explain this. How did you know? Once again, thanks.

One more question First Time 2008 - where did you get all this great info and pictures? I have been digging around the internet for a while and couldn't come up with a fraction of your info. Once again - thanks so much.

You are a blessing. This is exactly the information I was looking for to get from the dock to public transportation. I am leaving in a few hours and you input is so timely. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get across the water or through the docks to the train or bridge and no where on the Lisboa Port site do they explain this. How did you know? Once again, thanks.

How did I know? I live here. Easy!

Hey, you're sailing on the Riviera, right? Take good care of her. I will be on the Riviera starting July 19 sailing from Barcelona. Would appreciate to hear from you with a cruise report, and tips and tricks to get the best out of Riviera. I'm really excited about this cruise.

Enjoy your cruise and your time in Lisbon.

One more question First Time 2008 - where did you get all this great info and pictures? I have been digging around the internet for a while and couldn't come up with a fraction of your info. Once again - thanks so much.

Pictures? Went there, took the pictures myself. They're original artwork from yours truly. The aerial photos are not mine, they're from Google Maps, I just ripped them off from Google and added arrows and text on top.

Have a great cruise.

Hey Terrier1, I see that your profile says Location: New York. Will you be in New York the week after the cruise? I'll be there too. Shall we meet up so you can fill me in on all the Riviera insider knowledge, report back on how Lisbon went, share stories, etc.?

Hey Terrier1, I see that your profile says Location: New York. Will you be in New York the week after the cruise? I'll be there too. Shall we meet up so you can fill me in on all the Riviera insider knowledge, report back on how Lisbon went, share stories, etc.?

We are flying into Dublin the week after we dock. I will make sure to post when I get back. The first week back is bad since I have to return to work. Heading out now - and thanks. When will you be in New York?

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back and your instructions were excellent. The only problem we had was trying to get to Cascais from Belem by train. It was Sunday and there was no ticket agent at the train station. We couldn't use the machine since you need a "card" to insert. The card is only available at major rail stations or the metro on a Sunday. We walked around and asked a lot of people but no one knew where to purchase the card in Belem. We went back to Lisbon on the bus and had a great day. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Per your recommendation, I plan to board Bus 28 in order to go from Alcantara Mar cruise terminal to Belem; however, I could not find Bus 28 on Carris web site?

Carris only lists Tram 28E and this tram does not stop at the above cruise terminal. I looked up the Lisbon Transportation Map and looks like the following buses and trams make stop there: Bus (728, 732, 738, 760)/ tram (15E, 18E).

Please let me know if there is a change in service in Lisbon? Thank you.

You talked about the other two docking facilities-what about J Tab-- Where is it in relation to the Buses-particularly #28

Are there any tricks to getting out of the docking area?

Can we walk?

Is there any shops for wine nearby?

How close is it to the center of town or do we need to take a bus/tram?

We leave in two weeks on the Ryndam.

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

Per your recommendation, I plan to board Bus 28 in order to go from Alcantara Mar cruise terminal to Belem; however, I could not find Bus 28 on Carris web site?

Carris only lists Tram 28E and this tram does not stop at the above cruise terminal. I looked up the Lisbon Transportation Map and looks like the following buses and trams make stop there: Bus (728, 732, 738, 760)/ tram (15E, 18E).

Please let me know if there is a change in service in Lisbon? Thank you.

Bus #728 follows exactly the same route as bus 28. Looks like bus #728 has replaced #28. I had copied the route for bus #28 several months ago & just compared it to #728. Depending on where our ship docks next May, we also plan on using bus #728.

jill

You talked about the other two docking facilities-what about J Tab-- Where is it in relation to the Buses-particularly #28

Are there any tricks to getting out of the docking area?

Can we walk?

Is there any shops for wine nearby?

How close is it to the center of town or do we need to take a bus/tram?

We leave in two weeks on the Ryndam.

Thanks for the help.

Bus #728 serves J Tab (Jardim do Tabaco). The bus stop is directly across the street (Casa Conto). Look-up bus #728 on the carris site. You can also use google earth - Casa do Conto (using street view) to see exactly what your stop looks like from the street. You need to take a bus or taxi to get to the city center unless you don't mind a long walk ... even further to sights in Belem (you will see what I mean when you google). Cannot answer your other questions.

jill

Bus #728 serves J Tab (Jardim do Tabaco). The bus stop is directly across the street (Casa Conto). Look-up bus #728 on the carris site. You can also use google earth - Casa do Conto (using street view) to see exactly what your stop looks like from the street. You need to take a bus or taxi to get to the city center unless you don't mind a long walk ... even further to sights in Belem (you will see what I mean when you google). Cannot answer your other questions.

jill

Thanks for the info. Have been in Lisbon before but did not land at J Tab so wanted some idea what we would be dealing with.

Avril

• 2 weeks later...

]Pictures? Went there, took the pictures myself. They're original artwork from yours truly. The aerial photos are not mine, they're from Google Maps, I just ripped them off from Google and added arrows and text on top.

We will be in Lisbon from 1200 Sunday, 17 Nov thru 1400 Monday, 18 Nov 2012.

The information you have provided is the most perfectly comprehensive creation

Of any I have seen in the months of research and preparation for our cruise.

You are an angel, truly.

Muito obrigada

Amy and Juli

Correct.

It is sold at tourist outlets: airport arrivals hall, main railway station, and major tourist spots such as Belém. Unfortunately, I don't think it's sold at cruise terminals (well, if your ship comes into the Santa Apolónia cruise terminal the main railway station is directly across, so you could buy it there).

Alternatively, you can pre-buy it online.

I have purchased it on-line for $17e and am to pick it up at the Lisbon Welcome Center. Is the center an easy walk from the JTab - Terminal de Passageiros Jardim do Tabaco?

Plans are to visit Belem Tower, Jeronimos Monastery, and the National Coach Museam. 5 hours enough time?

I have purchased it on-line for $17e and am to pick it up at the Lisbon Welcome Center. Is the center an easy walk from the JTab - Terminal de Passageiros Jardim do Tabaco?

Plans are to visit Belem Tower, Jeronimos Monastery, and the National Coach Museam. 5 hours enough time?

Accorrding to Google, the welcome center is 1.1 km (14 mins walk) from J tab.

• 6 months later...

Archived