LIVE - Food/Wine from the Voyager 4/23

Travelcat2

This thread is dedicated to newbies. The reason behind my thousands of posts on CruiseCritic is not to argue with regulars. . . but to impart as much information as possible to those new to Regent. When I was new to Regent, I appreciated any and all input. . . . even when there were differences of opinion.

There have been multiple posts from the Voyager in the Mediterranean recently. So, it did not make sense to do another one. However, I have been reading (and loving) posts from the Seabourn board (think his name is Seabourntraveller) and realized how helpful it would be to those new to Regent to read daily menus -- including the complimentary and premium wine pours. While Seabourntraveller has the unique a ability to type menus without even one typo, I will be posting my typical typos etc. In my defense (sort of), at home I type on a ergonomic keyboard that I have yet to feel comfortable with. On board, the keys are too close together. The obvious solution to my horrible typing would be to use spellcheck. Those who know me understand why I would never do that.

Along with menus, I will probably not be able to resist some comments. We just completed a 3-night post-cruise to Cappadocia. I Googled this destination months ago and determined that this was the most unique place we have ever seen. Having recently been to Petra, we were not sure anything could be that good. However, IMO, this was one of the top places we have visited in the world -- definitely as fascinating as Petra!

Our butler will be delivering daily menus from Compass Rose that I will post. He will also deliver one menu from Signatures and one from La Veranda.

Will start posting menus tomorrow.

There have been multiple posts from the Voyager in the Mediterranean recently. So, it did not make sense to do another one. his destination months ago and determined that this was the most unique place

Travelcat2, I will look forward to reading any and all of your posts from this cruise. Since we had to cancel at the last minute (injured back) I am hoping there are many posts between Istanbul and Venice so that I can enjoy the cruise vicariously!

Regards, Pam

Thank you, TC2 for starting this helpful thread - for me as a Regent-newbie and "second-language-speaker" it will be a great pleasure to read your lines (no matter of any typos) ... :)

TravelCat2:

This newbie is getting SUPER excited about our upcoming cruise on the Voyager (Rome to Barcelona) since we board in a mere 20 days!!! I believe that we board when you disembark.

I can't thank you enought and I have been living vicariously through your posts (and other Regent "experts") for the past 3 months.

This will be our first Regent cruise and our first cruise in 25 years. I feel like a sponge soaking up all your sage advice and making notes to better our upcoming cruise experience. So many things that seasoned Regent cruises are aware of, we as newbies don't know and with all your help we will be more prepared.

Our travel folio (waiting for a new one since this has the wrong suite and the luggage tags are wrong) came on Friday, but I spent the weekend pouring over every page and doing more research instead of organizing and pre-packing, which is what I was supposed to do!

Thank you so much to taking the time out of your vacation to help all of us. Enjoy!

TC2,

Thank you for providing those of us new to Regent with your insights. DW and I will be on Mariner in August, our first Regent cruise. I have been a lurker here for some time and reading posts from you and other regular posters has provided me with much valuable information. I look forward to following your blog with great interest. Wishing you another enjoyable Regent experence.

Travelcat2 - as newbie to Regent -sailing in 20 days - am excited about your posts. I have found the many posts I have reviewed over the past 8 months to be most helpful in prepping for our first Regent experience. Thank You for taking the time to do this for us newbies and I will take it in any format - spellcheck no spellcheck- that you want to employ. Want to make sure you have time for fun too!;)

Don't worry about the spellcheck. I never use it either. And I agree, the keyboards on board are like micro sized. My fingers don't know where to go, but I am getting better with iPad

Looking forward to your cruise. We went to cappadocia last year and really loved it.

The obvious solution to my horrible typing would be to use spellcheck.

Spellcheck is an abomination! "I typed it that way because I wanted it that way!"

TC, I hope you have a wonderfully awesome cruise. Rest assured that I shall read every single word of every menu that you post! (And, all your other words, too....)

Belltown: So sorry that you had to cancel. Hope the doctors are able to fix you up so that you will be onboard a Regent cruise very soon.

Last night we dined in Signatures so I'll start with their menu that I do not believe will be changing any time soon.

Appetizers

Scallops marinated in herb oil, spring onions and mashed potatoes.

Salad of lobster with spice and mango fondue.

Cassoulet of snails.

Risotto of frog legs w/creamy chervil sauce

Sevruga caviar on celeriac and foie gras, remoulade finished in lemon sauce

Foie gras terrine and prune puree quennels.

Layered provencale vegetable gateau with toasted aramatic crust.

Soup

Crustacean bisque w/avacado - crabmeat tomato garnishes

Beef consomme with julienne of black truffle and herb crepes

Creamy mushroom soup with candied garlic

Sorbet

Champagne Cointreau Sorbet.

Entree

Sauteed Salmon fillet w/mixture of vegetables barigoule style and butter sauce

Filet of halibut w/pistachio oil and a duo of Spinach and herb marinated tomatoes

Duck Magret w/raspberry vinegar sauce and apple tart

Tenderloin of veal, tomatoes stuffed with eggplant, caviar and shallots braised in red wine.

Beef tournedos topped with seared foie gras glazed, glazed vegetab les bouquetierre and perigord style sauce

Rack of lamb w/mushrooms, mashed potato garnishes and lamb juice

Quichette of green leaves and blue cheese and fresh fine herbs in yoghurt sauce

Wine

Bouchard Pere and Fils, Pouilly Fuisse, A.O.C., Burgundy, France 2009 (my note: white wine with chardonnay grape)

M. Chapoutier Crozes-Hermitage, Petite Ruche A.O.C. Rhone Valley, France, 2009 (my note: delicious medium bodied red wine).

Dessert

Chocolate Tart w/raspberries

Tahitian vanilla creme brulee with strawberries

Tiramizu and carmelized bananas

Baba w/aged rum, pistachio cream and red berries

Cheeses (variety -- did not write them down)

Port/cognac/Armagnac/Calvados/Contreau/Grand Marnier/Framboise to accompany cheeses from the trolley.

Note: I had scallops (wonderful), mushroom soup (always a favorite), rack of lamb and too much wine to remember dessert. Think I had the chocolate tart. My DH had the halibut that was "good" . . . not "great". My lamb was great.

Note to 'oldies'. Since changing from Le Cordon Bleu, I do notice a difference in the preparation of the mushroom soup (for instance). Not quite as creamy -- still quite good.

Will post and continue below so I do not lose everything I typed.

Let's start with the sandwich offering that are the same every day in Compass Rose:

Make your own sandwich:

Bread

French Baguette

White Bread

Whole Wheat

Six-Grain

Rye

Flour Tortilla

Cold fillings:

Roast Beef

Parma Ham

Cooked Ham

Crispy Bacon strips

Salami

Roast Turkey Breast

chick Breast

Swiss Cheese

Smoked Salmon

Tuna Salad

Baby Shrimps

Completed with....

Tomatoes

Shredded Iceberg Lettuce

Cucumbers

Boiled Egg

Onions

Bell Pepper

Dill Pickles

Cornichons

Jalapeno Peppers

Sweet Relish

Horseradish

Mustard

Mayonnaise

Butter

Low Fat Margarine

Also always available:

Black Angus beef hamburger or cheeseburger

Norwegian Salmon Fillet prepared to order -- grilled, poached, broiled or pan-fried

Boneless chicken breast -- simply grilled with steamed vegetables

Freshly cooked pasta of the day with choice of tomato, pesto or Bolognese sauce

Vegetable side dishes: steamed assorted vegetables , spinach, string beans

Today (April 24th) Lunch Selection

Appetizers

Pan-Seared Ahi Tuna Loin

Traditional Leek Quiche

Panache of Crunchy Mixed Greens

Seasonal Fruit Cup

Soups

Cream of Halibut

Chiled Creamy Strawberry Soup

Sandwiches of the Day

Philly Steak (sauteed Peppers, Onions and Beef with Cheddar Cheese on Baguette)

Triple-Decker Club Sandwich (crisp bacon with roasted turkey, baked ham and swiss cheese)

Tex-Mex Beef Burger in black bean tortilla wrap, melted poblano cheddar cheese avacado and salsa cruda

Salads

Caesar Salad

Chicken Salad Singapore -- lemongrass-flavored chicken, crisp venetable salad and wasabi sauce

Vegetable Crudites Salad - beef pinwheels with provolone cheese and prosciutto on Toasted Baguette

Entrees

Spaghetti alle Vongole (tossed in a clam sauce)

Bouillabaisse Marseillaise - mixed fish and seafood in a fish broth with garlic bread and rouille sauce

Regent mixed grill - beef medallions, pork tenderloin, sausage and chicken, grilled tomato and mushrooms

Baked Norwegian salmon in puffed pastry with lemon butter sauce

Vegetarian Selections

Traditional Leek Quiche

Chilled Strawberryh Soup

Salad with Crisp Vegetable with Wasabi Sauce

Canyon Ranch Spa Selections

Fennel and Mixed Greens with Herb Garlic Dressing (50 calories)

Spaghetti alla Vongole (pasta with clams and brocoli w/chilli flakes (345 calories)

Fresh Fruit Cup (70 calories)

Desserts

Caramelized Banana Tartlet w/chocolate sauce

Chocolate Ganache Slice, vanilla sauce

Far Breton (French Brittany Prune Cake)

Ice Cup Cafe Liegeois (Vanilla Ice cream, Espresso Coffee and Whipped Cream)

Ice cream of the day: mango - vanille fudge

Strawberry ice cream made without sugar

Mixed Berries Frozen Yogurt - Limnoncello

Note: La Veranda does not have a menu as it is buffet. They generally offer at least one item from the Compass Rose menu. My guess is that today's special will be the Baked Norwegian salmon (a personal fattening favorite). They always have salads, cheeses and an assortmenet of desserts.

The pool grill has fabulous hamburgers.

Will have to post the evening meal much later. This took longer than expected because of the Signatures menu. Also want to add that some of the items on the menu appear to be misspelled. So, between that and my typos, you're in for a wild ride:-)

News:

Yesterday the Mariner was in Monte Carlo-- today it is in Liverno Italy

Yesterday the Navigator was in Puerto Chiapas, Mexico -- today it is in Hualtulco, Mexico

Thank you for your help TravelKat.

Are pax encouraged to make their own sandwiches to take for picnics off ashore?

One o/t question, if the cruise prices goes down, can those already booked apply for OBC?

Enjoy the rest of the cruise

Travelcat2, thank you very much for the time and effort you are putting in on this, we go on voyager for the first time in just over 3 weeks time, and your posts are just making the whole pre cruise experience wonderful, keep up the good work, but please do remember that you are on holiday.

Regards

Marion and Kerry

Travelcat2, thank you very much for the time and effort you are putting in on this, we go on voyager for the first time in just over 3 weeks time, and your posts are just making the whole pre cruise experience wonderful, keep up the good work, but please do remember that you are on holiday.

Regards

Marion and Kerry

My wife and I are booked on Voyager (first time) on 30 Sept and I agree, threads such as this enhance the pre-cruise experience immeasurably.

Will talk about staff -- have only been on board 24 hours. As far as our vacation, I'm only doing this on the first cruise (10 nights) and will not on the second cruise (well, maybe a few things here and there).

Also plan on typing out alcohol list (included and not). Will do this on Wednesday as we are using our port stop in Athens as a sea day (been there done that in terms of Athens). Will talk a bit about the shows but will probably not be attending any of them.

Our first excursion (Ephesus -- Terrace Houses) leaves in half an hour. We have been to Istanbul, Kusadasi, Athens and Santorini previously so are not that interest in too many excursions. Just enjoying being on board.

Will talk about staff -- have only been on board 24 hours. As far as our vacation, I'm only doing this on the first cruise (10 nights) and will not on the second cruise (well, maybe a few things here and there).

Also plan on typing out alcohol list (included and not). Will do this on Wednesday as we are using our port stop in Athens as a sea day (been there done that in terms of Athens). Will talk a bit about the shows but will probably not be attending any of them.

Our first excursion (Ephesus -- Terrace Houses) leaves in half an hour. We have been to Istanbul, Kusadasi, Athens and Santorini previously so are not that interest in too many excursions. Just enjoying being on board.

We went to a fantastic Turkish Bath at Kusadasi! Look forward to reading the next installment. Enjoy your day.

Hi Travelcat2,

just read your review of the cruise and vessel. Very well written. Loved the comment about the memory bed for hubby. Made me laugh after a bad day at work.:D

My DH had the halibut that was "good" . . . not "great".

Travelcat2: Considering that you are from Washington state with access to some of the freshest/best halibut in the U.S., the fact that your DH rated the halibut as "good" is quite encouraging! Keep the food reviews coming, please!!

You're wonderful! Our mouths are watering already in anticipation of our August cruise on Voyager.

Now, that Crozes Hermitage; terrible stuff, we advise you not to drink any more. We'll try to finish all the bottles you leave, no problem.....

Thank you for your help TravelKat.

Are pax encouraged to make their own sandwiches to take for picnics off ashore?

One o/t question, if the cruise prices goes down, can those already booked apply for OBC?

Enjoy the rest of the cruise

English Tim: I think I need to explain further. The "make your own sandwiches" in Compass Rose for lunch is a menu item that is served to your table by your server. Due to regulations of many countries, food is not allowed to be taken off the ship. I am fairly sure that, if it is permitted, you can ask room service to prepare a few items to be taken on a picnic in port.

Not sure about your question regarding cruise prices going down. Our TA (Travel Agent) recommends that we not pay off our cruise until it is required (about 4 months prior to sailing). This allows adjustments to the price in case the cruise price does go down (not likely -- will cover this on a separate thread). Check with your TA regarding OBC.

Archived