Cruise Critic Community
DES07

Crusing with a lapband

this will be my first cruise since I have gotten my lapband... I know this is going to be a little different for us. I feel so bad when I can't eat everything on my plate when we go out to dinner. So, when we are in the main dinning room for dinner do you think people will think I am wasting food? but, from what I can remember the amount you get isn't huge.

So, anyone here have the lapband if so, let me know how you do it.

this will be my first cruise since I have gotten my lapband... I know this is going to be a little different for us. I feel so bad when I can't eat everything on my plate when we go out to dinner. So, when we are in the main dinning room for dinner do you think people will think I am wasting food? but, from what I can remember the amount you get isn't huge.

I don't have the lapband but my mother does....so I can't speak from personal experience but if someone thinks your wasting food so be it. It's your vacation and you (and your family) know the real reason so I wouldn't worry about it a lick.

I get defensive because I see how happy my mother is now that she's losing her weight. She struggled with it her whole life and I'd smack someone if they made a comment about my mother wasting food on a cruise she paid for. Don't mess with my momma...lol

Got my band in 2003 and have been on 10 cruises both before and after. I am getting ready for cruise #11 to South America so, yes, it can be done. You know what you can and cannot eat. NO ONE expects you to clean your plate. Take a little taste of the things you want and leave the rest. Your waiter may ask if the food is OK and you can just assure him/her that the food is great, you just have a teeny appetite,or you ate too much on shore, or whatever. Do not let your tablemates pressure you into eating more that you should/can. I assume that you already know the "thrill" of getting food stuck so just keep the conversation going and push the food around on your plate. Best of luck and enjoy your cruise

I do not have this, though I am going to have either the gastric sleeve or bypass in June. I will be starting my pre-op diet while on our anniversary cruise... and will be 9 weeks post-op during our family cruise. I am worried about being starving during vacation, but I just wanted to have the surgery asap. As far as finishing your food, don't worry about what anyone else thinks. I think when I am on our cruises I will just tell people up-front, including the staff, so they don't worry that something didn't come out right or wonder why I'm not drinking, etc. Not that you have to tell anyone yourself, I'm just saying what I will probably do. Enjoy yourself, and have a good time. :)

Edited by melanieannd

I dont have lap-band, but both my husband and I have had gastric bypass. Im 5 years post-op and he's about 2 yrs.

On the cruise, the portions are small enough you probably wont waste as much food.

On land my husband and I usually split a dish and still have leftovers. We constantly get asked if everything was ok or if something was wrong with the food. We always just say everything was lovely but its just too much food. Usually that works :) Occasionally we will get a really persistent waiter who is truly concerned we are unhappy. We just tell them that we've both had gastric bypass and can't eat large portions. Usually they are intrigued and ask a million questions.

Have fun on your cruise, enjoy the smaller portions and don't worry about leaving some food on your plate :D

Thanks guys,,, I am learning everything with the band... I am really happy that i had it done and at this point I have lost 50lbs... very excited!!!

You guys are right I will just do what I can and who cares who likes it... I don't want anything to get stuck while in the dinning room, I will have to find the restrooms before we go in just in case though...

I had bypass in 2010, this will be my 3rd cruise post bypass. This is how I do it on ship, when I go to the buffet, I get a small ( like one bite) bit of everything I want. If I still have food on my plate that's fine. If I am still hungry or something was really really good I get a touch more. In the mdr I bically do the me thing. If I see something I want I order it, eat what I can and let that be that. I am not going to make myself sick, or anything else because I want to finish my plate. I have learned this since surgery. I went from 290 pounds to 118, which is my current weight and I am perfectly happy eating several very small meals everyday it gives me more of a reason to try all the foods :). Also carnival has diet desserts, which for me are perfect because I can have only limited sugar. These desserts are awesome!

Most important have fun and don't make yourself sick or miserable by trying to eat to much.

Don't worry about wasting food. Eat as much as you want, and if anyone complains, ignore their comments. It's nobody's business how much food you eat/don't eat.

When we were on Miracle last year, one of the people we met had done either lap band or gastric bypass (can't remember). None of us paid any attention to how much food she ate/didn't eat - not our place to judge.

Best of luck and enjoy your cruise!!!

I have no first-hand experience with weight loss surgery, but I wanted to tell you that I don't always eat everything on my plate. :o Sometimes in the MDR, I don't order an appetizer, or I order 2 appetizers and no main course. I also don't always order dessert. If the server comments, I assure him/her everything is wonderful, but I'm just not really hungry.

When I think of people wasting food, it usually involves people with multiple plates from the buffet heaped high and leaving most of it, or ordering more than one appetizer, entree, and dessert from the MDR and not eating much at all.

I don't think anyone will think you're wasting food. I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

No gastric surgeries here, but I order whatever I want if it looks interesting, and just finish what I can. If questioned I just say, "Small stomach", and leave it at that. Not to worry, the fish will get what you don't finish. Happy cruising!

Congratulations on this big step in your life...!! My mom just had the procedure in December and I am trying to get her to cruise with us in March next year. I will be anxious to hear how things go for you. I've reassured her that she would do great and there would be plenty of food choices for her. :)

Have lost 55 lbs in the last year by just cutting portions in half. Haven't had problems with leaving food on the table - Seriously, wanted to eat ALL of the Mac & Cheese entree, but just couldn't!