Sell me on NCL

We have never been on NCL, but we have looked and come close several times. We always ultimately decide on Royal Caribbean because of comparable prices and what we get for the money, or Carnival if we don't want to fly anywhere. Now we are getting ready to plan our next trip in March for the Caribbean. I'm not looking for any specific information, but if you have been on both NCL and Royal and/or Carnival and the prices were similar, why did/would you choose NCL? The ship choices we are are looking at are Epic, Pearl, Star, and Dawn. Thanks for your help!

Was there anything in particular you wanted to know?

From the ships listed fro NCL massive differences in style. I went for the EPIC as for a younger person had more activities for what I wanted, but as a large ship had a really big range of entertainment venues and options. e.g. blue man, legends, howl at the moon, slam allen jazz, twice as nice for music through the ages, karaoke, plenty of movies.... as theres lots of venues, you will normally find something to do somewhere, and can avoid the activities which are not necessarily your cup of tea.

I love NCL from the freestyle perspective, ie eat where and when you like. I love their approach to solo cruisers, and really love the range of facilities on EPIC, EPIC is likely to be a VERY busy ship in the carribean, so if you prefer quieter ships don't go for the EPIC. I also like the fact the officers were very visible, and approachable.

I can't comment on anything other than the EPIC.

You can look at my signature. :)

We have 4 cruises with RCCL, Princess, NCL. 3 with Celebrity, 2 with Carnival and 1 with HAL.

Last two cruises were on NCL Dawn and Jewel, and previous one on Carnival Miracle.... 3 in the last 5 years with RCCL.. NCL won with it's atmosphere.. More entertainment, more happy faces, design of the ship.

NCL has smaller cabins, so if you are planning to spend time inside of your cabin, maybe it is not the best choice, but other than that it is a very nice experience.

When planning my trip, first with children, to Bermuda this summer I looked at Royal, Celebrity and NCL.

Royal was out because it is only a 5 day itinerary from NY.

Originally booked on Celebrity but then decided that NCL would work better due to the Freestyle dining. No set time for dinner and no formal clothes to pack.

This will be my first NCL cruise.

Hope this helps.

All things being equal between CCL and Norwegian, I'd choose NCL. I just had a better 'vibe' on their ships. Nothing that I can actually put in tangible terms but just something I felt.

I'd be happy on any cruise, seriously, but if price and destination was the same I'd probably go for NCL just because I enjoy my experiences on board more than what I experienced on Carnival. This is just my opinion though.

I like to try new lines and new ships and I'm glad I gave NCL a chance a few years ago. I've been back on NCL several times and have had a great cruise each time.

I recall the balcony cabin on RC was small, as is NCL's if compared to Carnival. Food on NCL I like better than the other two, but tastes vary of course. Entertainment is good on all, as is service I've had; Carnival's waterslides beat NCL (except Epic).

Have fun.

We have been on Carnival, Royal, and NCL. I tend to try to get on NCL because we do not want to pack formal wear. We are in our 50's and renting a tux and packing a gown is not our cup of tea. We dress for dinner in nice clothes but not formal.

We like anytime dinning! No I mean "we LOVE freestyle dinning"

We just returned today from our first ever cruise on the NCL Gem. We had an amazing time. Loved the shows (Phil Tag was hysterical) and the staff was excellent.

The MDR's were very pretty but the food was blah. Cagney's and La Cucina were both very good (although I don't understand the rave reviews for the fries at Cagneys) as was the buffet. We had wings every night at the Blue Lagoon and they were great.

We really liked the freestyle dining and the casual atmosphere.

My son18 loved the daily basketball games and daughter14 loved the teen program (we barely saw her the entire cruise). Daughter12 loved the cruise but her age was awkward and she spent a few hours at the kids club the first night and hated it. She was jealous of her sister's group. They bunched the 6-12 together due to not a lot of kids and that was way too broad of an age difference.

I would definitely sail NCL again. The pros outweighed the cons by a mile. :)

I absolutely love Norwegian and cruise them regularly.

I'm worried that if you have to be "sold" on something, then it may not be for you. You said you have always gone a different route. Read things on these boards and decide what it is you want from your cruise.

BobCat, I have been on about 20 cruises and have been most pleased with NCL. I have seen the development of their line since the Dawn premiered out of NYC around 2004. I have seen great improvement in their food, entertainment, and service durning this time. I am an East Coast cruiser and I like not flying. The Manhattan based Gem and Jewel have been great this year. I sailed the Gem to Bermuda last August, the Jewel twice to the Bahamas in November and March, and I'll be going on the Gem again this Saturday. These sailings have great pricings (all times but this one I get a $599 inside deal). The specialty restaurants are a lot of fun but not a necessity. In fact I have gotten a better steak dinner in the "free" dining room than in Cagney's!!

I have to say the best feeling one gets on NCL is from the staff. I really feel the crew is a big welcoming family. All of the ships I have been on are sparkling clean thanks to the hardworking staff. Even my Cheapie cabins are so lovingly cared for. And the employees care about you, each other, and the success of the company. In fact, many employees sport braces on their teeth (waitstaff and room stewards) and when asked I was told the company has a great dental plan. How awesome is that. Having travelled on Carnival and Royal Carribean I cannot say I was impressed at all with cleanliness, staff attitude, or staff happiness! PS I have a thumbs down up there and I didn't mean to!

I could totally be an NCL sales associate! "Freestyle Cruising" is NCL's concept. Simply put it is amazing. The wear what you want, do or not do what you want and dine when and where you want makes for a very laxed, stress free atmosphere. Take a look at any of the ships that are in the NCL fleet. The incredible hull art just screams fun and excitement. The crew are the friendliest at sea. Entertainment is also basically top notched. The accommodations are very nice as NCL keeps its ships in beautiful condition. They are germ freaks, which is a plus to a germ-a-phobe, like myself. There are several dining options to choose from and you will never go hungry. Check out the Blue Lagoon which is on most NCL ships. They offer wings, chicken fingers, fries, burgers and such and are open just about 24 hours. Sometimes they close for about an hour. Although NCL may not be for everyone, it is for most people. :)

When deciding on my first cruise to take, I considered RC and NCL. I decided on NCL because I hate alarm clocks.

If I decide to take a nap while I'm on the cruise I have no desire to have to wake up from it to an alarm clock because I have to be at dinner at a certain time. And I don't want to have to pack a bunch of formal clothes.

I want to be able to do what I want, when I want, if I want.

We have never been on NCL, but we have looked and come close several times. We always ultimately decide on Royal Caribbean because of comparable prices and what we get for the money, or Carnival if we don't want to fly anywhere. Now we are getting ready to plan our next trip in March for the Caribbean. I'm not looking for any specific information, but if you have been on both NCL and Royal and/or Carnival and the prices were similar, why did/would you choose NCL? The ship choices we are are looking at are Epic, Pearl, Star, and Dawn. Thanks for your help!

Just got of Epic med cruise. I have put a review on here tonight. I have sailed on RCCL, Carnival, and NCL. Royal comes bottom of the list for me with NCL & Carnival with nothing between them, althought the Epic is a special ship.

When deciding on my first cruise to take, I considered RC and NCL. I decided on NCL because I hate alarm clocks.

If I decide to take a nap while I'm on the cruise I have no desire to have to wake up from it to an alarm clock because I have to be at dinner at a certain time. And I don't want to have to pack a bunch of formal clothes.

I want to be able to do what I want, when I want, if I want.

Hear hear!!!

Looking at your signature, over the past several years, you have sailed Carnival Magic, Oasis, Voyager class, Freedom class...all mega ships with Oasis being the granddaddy of them all. You seem to lean toward the larger ships with a boatload (pun intended!) of ammenities. Given that, I would encourge you to give a good hard look at the Epic - NCL's megaship. It may be the best fit for you.

I've sailed on Oasis and the Gem (same design as the Pearl), and the Gem/Pearl is a very different experience than the mega ship experience. Read reviews, look at pictures, decide what's important to you. The freestyle experience is very freeing and relaxing. We love it. Also, if you're in the market for a suite, the suite experience on NCL is legendary and can be quite affordable compared to fares on other lines.

Alas...my heart belongs to RCCI! I simply cannot stand "freestyle" dining as it has to be a royal pain to have to make reservations every night for dinner...and the "art" on the ships hull is a seagoing abomination. Ships do not need to be "tarted up" with goofy graphics. The Epic is, unfortunately, the ugliest ship afloat these days...absolutely hideous. You will not see me on RCL...but then I don't think you'd want me on board anyway. Thay said, I know people who won't sail any other line so...beauty IS in the eye of the beholder, no?

Alas...my heart belongs to RCCI! I simply cannot stand "freestyle" dining as it has to be a royal pain to have to make reservations every night for dinner...and the "art" on the ships hull is a seagoing abomination. Ships do not need to be "tarted up" with goofy graphics. The Epic is, unfortunately, the ugliest ship afloat these days...absolutely hideous. You will not see me on RCL...but then I don't think you'd want me on board anyway. Thay said, I know people who won't sail any other line so...beauty IS in the eye of the beholder, no?

Well.. It helps to have at least some experience with the subject you are talking about. You don't have to make reservation for two regular dining rooms, or buffet, or Blue Lagoon (additional restaurant). In fact if you like open seats dining, on RCCL it is much more difficult. With NCL even on sold out cruises there is no wait time.. with RCCL you have to make reservations, and it is not always easy if you want a table for two.

As for the arts.. well "arts" on Explorer of the Seas.. are... well.. I used quotes for a reason. ;) Still a nice ship, but it won't win a contest in this category. :D

We have been on 11 cruises, but only 1 with NCL. This next year we have 1 planned with RCCL because our group of 20 friends like that line. Dh and I have 3 planned with NCL.

Why we like NCL:

Their balcony and suite cabins are bigger

Great selection of restaurants without extra fees

The BEST entertainment in the theater

A cruise critic meet and greet tha far surpasses one on any other cruise line we have been on. The heads of most depts AT&Teend and speak with the guests

Then

Ostngoesnon.

I hope this helps with your decision

I understand your heart belongs to RCCI. I also understand that "Freestyle" may not be your thing. But I can't get over the fact that you feel the hull art is goofy, a seagoing abomination and that the NCL fleet are "tarted up". :eek: I am in shock................. :confused:

Well.. It helps to have at least some experience with the subject you are talking about.

Wow, glad I wasn't the only one to raise eyebrows and question this. That poor poster must never goes to a land restaurant, since freestyle operates exactly the same as land based restaurants.

I understand your heart belongs to RCCI. I also understand that "Freestyle" may not be your thing. But I can't get over the fact that you feel the hull art is goofy, a seagoing abomination and that the NCL fleet are "tarted up". :eek: I am in shock................. :confused:

What's even more interesting is the poster that can't stand freestyle dining doesn't have one NCL cruise in their signature.

Archived