Review of our Spring Break '12 Cruise on Carnival Liberty

PaulMedik

Great review!!

I'm trying to talk my DH into doing this one the week before we do the Freedom. He seems to think that a B2B has to be on the same ship, I don't think so.

Great review, we sailed the Liberty last year and loved it!!

I have a question about your cabins, did you have the aft-wrap and the aft-extended next door or the premium next door?

I ask because we have the aft-wrap on deck 6 of the Victory (same layout of the Liberty) and I have my parents in the aft-extended and my daughters in the premium and we are hoping to all have access to my aft-wrap balcony. Any info you know of would be helpful. Thanks.

I'm subscribing!

Thank you all for your kind comments and any questions anyone has that I can answer please feel free to post; if I don't know the answer I'm sure someone will.

I have a question about your cabins, did you have the aft-wrap and the aft-extended next door or the premium next door?

I ask because we have the aft-wrap on deck 6 of the Victory (same layout of the Liberty) and I have my parents in the aft-extended and my daughters in the premium and we are hoping to all have access to my aft-wrap balcony. Any info you know of would be helpful. Thanks.

I'm subscribing!

ibcnusoon,

We had the aft wrap and the aft extended beside it. In the past we have had the same cabins on deck 6 and on our B2B on Liberty we had the aft wrap and our boys in the adjacent connecting Premium on the side for the first leg and in the aft beside us for the second leg.

Basically the answer to your question is YES; you'll have one huge balcony with the premium side, aft wrap, and aft extended all open. You'll all have plenty of space, plenty of shade and sunshine most of the day and no need to go up on the public decks and battle chair hogs since you'll have your own deck!

Now you REALLY have my attention! Always love reading your reviews, but can't wait to hear the scoop on this. Also would like to hear where you found beach toys on GC - you must have gone to a hotel for the day??

pe4all,

No hotel in Grand Cayman. We had planned to go to a hotel, but our taxi driver turned out to be a driver we'd had in the past and he took real good care of us. He took us to a public beach and rented his own chairs to us at a discount. He also got us a deal with a beach toy outfit right next to our chairs for the boys to enjoy; their prices were of course MUCH higher than Paradise Beach, but we haggled a more reasonable price out of them.

I'm loving this review--thanks so much! I only have one request. Could you please make it last until June???:D

jkudzu,

It may last until June, but I'll be doing my best to get it done before then.

One thing that would really be nice to see implemented would be Serenity type chairs on the aft wraps. All in favor say aye! (sp?)

Karen and I picked out our spot on Serenity for the week and it was port side forward;

IMG_0388-vi.jpg

Karen and I spent the afternoon on Serenity enjoying the heat and consuming various libations provided by a Lido bar server. He knew our names and folio numbers by the second order and I knew I'd see him many times duirng the week and get a picture, but alas I never saw him again.

The USCG had inspectors on board when we boarded. They were lined up to eat at Guy's Burgers when went by. I stopped to get a pic, but then opted not to because there may be some BS rule against USCG inspectors eating on cruise ship in public areas. They appeared to be enjoying the burgers.

I visited the Pursor's desk to have some key cards made and switch a couple of rooms occupants around and waited in line in the Platinum line behind a first timer who was in a heated disagreement with the pursor about whether or not their family member would be allowed to sail. The passenger in question was on board already and in a high tech wheel chair nearby. Multiple medical devices were mounted all over the chair and given that I have worked in emergency medicine since 1987 I knew what most of the devices were for. The most essential info was that he was mechanically ventilated via a trache tube and was not apparently conscious. Every hospital I've ever been to would admit him to ICU for any visit simply due to his advanced care needs.

I really felt sorry for the pursor because he had to call shoreside medical and legal for every question she asked and they refused to accept any answer he gave them. The family member would turn to anyone near her and ask if they thought it was right to deny them the right to cruise; she ignored me completely though because my answer was no they should not allow him. I wanted to ask how or why he was allowed to board, but I kept my mouth shut.

The final answer that they were given was that they would leave it up to the US Coast Guard to decide since they were the ones that would have to transport him if needed and that they would most likely remove him from the ship. The family had letters from two physicians certifying that he could travel, but Carnival advised them that even if the physicians were on board with them that his condition completely violated the terms of the contract.

If ever there was an example of the ADA gone amuck, this was it. << my opinion only and feel free to disagree. What I would compare it to is if you have a loved on in an ICU on life support and wish to take them on a cruise even though they aren't aware of anything, then load them up and just do it. You'll have to make a big scene and have your whole family with you, but you can do it.

The boys spent the afternoon exploring the ship, eating Guy's Burgers, and playing in the arcade.

With Muster scheduled for 3:30 Karen and I headed down to our cabin and got a few pics there;

IMG_9819-vi.jpg

Our steward Ketut was nearby and he opened the balcony divider to the boys room for us. Here's a fisheye of the boys extended aft balcony;

IMG_9831-vi.jpg

Fisheye of ship docked and one leaving POM;

IMG_9833-vi.jpg

Fisheye looking from balcony rail forward toward the boys room;

IMG_9835-vi.jpg

The boys cabin again with the fisheye. I like how it gets my feet and the rest of the room all in the same pic;

IMG_9842-vi.jpg

Our room with the fisheye;

IMG_9848-vi.jpg

From the end of the bed;

IMG_9850-vi.jpg

After my first trip to the Pursors' desk I really didn't want to go again, but I had to because all of the new cards I got worked, but now mine and Bryson's (The only two I didn't change) didn't work. I hurried down with about fifteen minutes to spare before muster and ended up behing another first time cruiser who had multiple issues. The pursor ended up telling her she would need to go to muster then return after because she had too many things that needed to be addressed. I handed him my defective cards and he replacement in 30 seconds.

The Muster drill was much quieter than past drills and all business. A man who had been in trouble once already for taking pics got a pic for us;

IMG_0396-vi.jpg

As you can tell from the looks on the faces of those around us, the mood is different now than in the past.

After Muster Karen had to take Janet's card down to be replaced and she ended up in line behind the same woman I had waited fifteen minutes behind. I never mentioned the experience to Karen, but she handled it a lot better than I did. The woman turned to her and said that she (Karen) should go to the regular line because she would be a while and many things to do. Karen asked if she had cruised a lot after noticing her blue cards. The woman replied no, this is my first cruise on Carnival. Karen told her this line is for people with many cruises on Carnival, not many issues. Karen then laid her card down on the counter and was immediately taken care of. I was proud of her even if the woman was annoyed.

After muster they announced that sailaway would be delayed until 6:00PM so I headed for our balcony to get pics of the ships that passed us.

If I'm not mistaken, this is Destiny (Soon to be Sunshine) just exiting Government Cut;

IMG_9877-vi.jpg

NCL's ship passed and resulted in a lot of pics I had to dispose of; being a balcony club member means that you cannot post pics of other balcony club members who are a lot more into public diplays of affection than the rest of us;

IMG_9862-vi.jpg

My wording on that may lead you to believe there were many balcony club members, but there were only two that I noticed in my pictures, but they were located such that they were in many of the pics. I did my best to make sure I disposed of them, but if anyone notices any please email me so I can delete them too.

Two aft wraps on the entire ship?

IMG_9894-vi.jpg

The Costa Ship docked way out front has aft wraps that I assume are suites like Carnival's Spirt Class?

IMG_9901-vi.jpg

Zoom in on one of the houses across the way from POM. Single family or six condos? If condos, who does the yacht belong to?

IMG_9904-vi.jpg

The pic I posted earlier must have been Valor instead of Destiny, because here's her sail away;

IMG_0399-vi.jpg

IMG_0416-vi.jpg

IMG_0420-vi.jpg

This was the view from our window as we pulled away from the dock;

IMG_0421-vi.jpg

Liberty was docked facing in so we had to go the turning basin at the end of the channel to turn. I'd like to share pics of that with you, but the skies didn't cooperate;

IMG_0422-vi.jpg

What do you do during sailaway? Drink, party, enjoy the sights? How many of you unpack and climb the walls?

IMG_0423-vi.jpg

IMG_0424-vi.jpg

In typical Miami fashion, the weather soon changed;

IMG_0005-vi.jpg

Perhaps not the most picturesque sailaway, but at least we sailed out of the rain;

IMG_0015-vi.jpg

The USCG had inspectors on board when we boarded. They were lined up to eat at Guy's Burgers when went by. I stopped to get a pic, but then opted not to because there may be some BS rule against USCG inspectors eating on cruise ship in public areas. They appeared to be enjoying the burgers.

You could be right about that lol My husband was in the USCG. When we were stationed at Yaquina Bay Newport, Oregon, the fishermen wanted to throw a crabfeed for the guys just as a thank you for being there for them. The guys weren't allowed to go because it was against some regulations as receiving perks or gifts. Maybe they thought it would be perceived as some kind of favoritism or something. My husband was extremely disappointed because he loves fresh crab.

Edited by NoobCruise

pe4all,

No hotel in Grand Cayman. We had planned to go to a hotel, but our taxi driver turned out to be a driver we'd had in the past and he took real good care of us. He took us to a public beach and rented his own chairs to us at a discount. He also got us a deal with a beach toy outfit right next to our chairs for the boys to enjoy; their prices were of course MUCH higher than Paradise Beach, but we haggled a more reasonable price out of them.

]

Thank you for your answer. We loved the Liberty and spent tons of time on Serenity also. (port side:))

Having followed your reviews over the years Paul, I am not surprised that the boys are growing, just how much they have grown in the past year! Handsome young men you and Karen have!

Your pictures are great as usual, and I love the fish eye lens! I think that I will have to purchase one myself! I could no longer physically carry a separate laptop bag and my camera bag (when my DH is not with me to help), so I found a great backpack that works for both! It's made by Case Logic and holds my 15" MacBook, my camera body (in a sling at the top of the backpack for quick access) and enough space inside for 8 lenses, zippered pouches inside and out where I store my cables/cords and such. Not sure how much gear you have now, but it sounds impressive!

Looking forward to the rest of your review!

Hey Paul! Another great start to a review. Your love of cruising (and writing reviews) comes through from the opening word. We missed the Liberty this spring break....

Edited by jimbo5544

Did you happen to see any place they served (free or for a charge) chicken wings? A concern of my sons

bdtmoult,

Spencer, our 15 year old found them on the buffet several times and I think he found some at one of the new buffets on Lido. I didn't personally see them other than when they were on his plate and they weren't there for long since he tends to live off of wings. :p

Having followed your reviews over the years Paul, I am not surprised that the boys are growing, just how much they have grown in the past year! Handsome young men you and Karen have!

Your pictures are great as usual, and I love the fish eye lens! I think that I will have to purchase one myself! I could no longer physically carry a separate laptop bag and my camera bag (when my DH is not with me to help), so I found a great backpack that works for both! It's made by Case Logic and holds my 15" MacBook, my camera body (in a sling at the top of the backpack for quick access) and enough space inside for 8 lenses, zippered pouches inside and out where I store my cables/cords and such. Not sure how much gear you have now, but it sounds impressive!

Looking forward to the rest of your review!

Gail,

My camera case is a LowePro and has room for a 15" laptop; my laptop is a 17" so I used the space for my Kindle Fire and a few other items. It holds my DSLR with battery grip and my 70-200 lens mounted to the camera. It has space for six additional lenses.

I bought a larger LowePro case just before the cruise that my laptop will fit in, but discovered that my lenses were too wide to fit so Britt claimed it for his camera (He also has a Canon 60D, 70-200L, and 24-105L.) I thought about packing my laptop in it and having him carry it, but knew that Karen would end up carrying it if it was too heavy. :o

I'll definately need a new laptop before our next cruise since I had to dissect mine duirng the cruise;

IMG_1459-vi.jpg

The lesson I learned that lead to my gutting my laptop is not to attempt to insert SD memory cards in card slots in the dark because you might hit the DVD slot instead.....

The picture above shows my laptop from the bottom with a few dozen screws removed and several covers removed. I very much would have preferred to 'try this at home,' because doing so on board a ship means using the wrong tools. :eek: I have to remove a lot more and pry quite a bit before I finally got to the SD card.

Hey Paul! Another great start to a review. Your love of cruising (and writing reviews) comes through from the opening word. We missed the Liberty this spring break....

Jim,

Thank you.

I see that you're doing Breeze next year in April. We're sailing her in March / early April and I might do the bloggers cruise solo if Mach ever emails me back details.

I'd have to say Liberty's 2.0 improvements were an improvement on an already fine ship and she also seemed to run a lot smoother even though I wouldn't have called our previous sailings rough. It seemed like there was zero vibration where there used to be a little at times.