Suite Bonus for the S-Class Ships

maxout

The Mariner rewards are not really worth enough to be all that concerned with them.

I agree with that. The mariner rewards on HAL are worthless until you get to 4 star.

We are 3 star and the only thing we received were pictures of the ship, which we had to remember to go and request. We are not interested in anything in the minibar (30% off for 3 star mariners) and do not drink coffee. We also typically embark late and like to start our cruise going to the lido, so not interested in the embarkation lunch in the dining room.

Even the 4 star benefits are poor compared to what is offered by other cruise lines such as Celebrity, Azamara, and apparently Princess and Regent - all include free internet in some form.

People seem to be happy with the past passenger benefits, every HAL ship we have been on has been sold out, so HAL has no incentive to ramp up their past passenger benefits.

Question from a newbie: Is the Veendam an "S" ship? I booked a BB Cat GTY.

BTW, thanks to all you nice folks on this board - your posts have been very helpful. Regards, -Salcaia

Salacia:

The various of classes of HAL ships are:

"S" Class Ships

Statendam

Maasdam

Ryndam

Veendam

"R" Class Ships

Rotterdam

Amsterdam

Volendam

Zaandam

Vista Ships

Zuiderdam

Oosterdam

Westerdam

Noordam

Signature Ships

Eurodam

Nieuw Amsterdam

Prinsendam is the 15th HAL ship and is unique unto herself. She was not built by HAL but was built by the now defunct Royal Viking Cruise Line.

[/b]

You are correct about the hotel charges, but the question had to do with double points towards Mariner status.

Deluxe Suites have a $12.00 per person per day hotel charge added but BC and above on the S & R ships also get the double points.

I can verify this because we booked a BC QTY last year on Maasdam and received double points.

I can verify the hotel charges because we were just on Veendam and started in a Lanai and hotel charges were $11.50 per person per day, and ended our vacation in s Deluxe Suite and hotel charge changed to $12.00 per person per day. I hope this helps.

Just had a BA cabin on the Veendam last week and can say that we were each charged $12 a day in the HSC charges, not $11.50. BA is a Verandah Suite, but not a Deluxe Suite itself (none of the fringe benefits).

So, it seems that if your cabin has "Suite" in its name or title, double days and $12 HSC.

Me too - happy to cruise - don't misunderstand - I am 4* too and love the perks - and I think the 4* deserve them:) I'm not saying those in suites should have priority over 4* - just two separate lineups and I think that would clarify a lot of things:):) But, that's too simple a solution for the suits in head office:eek:

When I said PH & Deluxe Suite pax should have priority over 4*, I was thinking of many people on this board who have cruised many times and are in these more expensive cabins. OTOH, 4* pax have cruised many times. I'm rethinking the priority for this reason: by the time I become 4* (I'm 3* now with 5 cruises taken), I will have cruised 2-3 times more (I prefer cruises > 2 weeks) so 7-8 cruises total. That would, IMO, justify some equality in priority with a newbie in a suite.

When I said PH & Deluxe Suite pax should have priority over 4*, I was thinking of many people on this board who have cruised many times and are in these more expensive cabins. OTOH, 4* pax have cruised many times. I'm rethinking the priority for this reason: by the time I become 4* (I'm 3* now with 5 cruises taken), I will have cruised 2-3 times more (I prefer cruises > 2 weeks) so 7-8 cruises total. That would, IMO, justify some equality in priority with a newbie in a suite.

to be honest, I haven't yet met a newbie in a suite. Most of us start out in ocean view/verandas and then we get that sweet upsell offer (that's what happened to us) to the suite - and then, you are in deep trouble:D

Most of the people I have met in suites are all 4* (that doesn't mean everyone is of course, but many have one heck of a lot of cruises under their belts:)).

In any case, I think we are both saying the same thing - 2 lineups would solve a lot of the issues:)

What you are saying about the HSC does not agree with an email I received from 'AdministrationUK (CCL-UK)'. Here is what they say in their email when I asked about the service charge in an SY cabin

Please find below reply from our head office in Seattle:

Suites include only DELUXE Verandah and PENTHOUSE suite staterooms – they will be charged US$12.00 per guest/per day

on sailings departing on or after December 2, 2011, the Hotel Service charge will be US$11.50 for staterooms and US$12.00 per day for suites.

Superior Verandah Suites and below will be $ 11.50 pp per day.

Hi Carol,

Sorry to hear it appears you were given incorrect or mistaken information. I saw your post and did a quick double check of the policy and the information I provided in my post is indeed correct. If the word “Suite” is in the category name (so BC and up on S and R Class, SZ and up on Vista and Signature Class and SY and up on Prinsendam) get the double days for the Mariner program and the $12.00/pppd HSC instead of the $11.50/pppd HSC

Hi Carol,

Sorry to hear it appears you were given incorrect or mistaken information. I saw your post and did a quick double check of the policy and the information I provided in my post is indeed correct. If the word “Suite” is in the category name (so BC and up on S and R Class, SZ and up on Vista and Signature Class and SY and up on Prinsendam) get the double days for the Mariner program and the $12.00/pppd HSC instead of the $11.50/pppd HSC

If what you are saying is true then HAL staff should not be sending out emails with incorrect information.

Perhaps you could email Macu Aranda on administrationuk@carnival.com and point out that they sent me incorrect information.

When a HAL employee gives me such a positive reply then I expect that to be correct.

Just had a BA cabin on the Veendam last week and can say that we were each charged $12 a day in the HSC charges, not $11.50. BA is a Verandah Suite, but not a Deluxe Suite itself (none of the fringe benefits).

So, it seems that if your cabin has "Suite" in its name or title, double days and $12 HSC.

Then the hotel charge has gone up in the "B" Suites since we were on Maasdam in 2010. It seems strange that the hotel charges would be the same for a BC, BB, BA as a Deluxe Suite.

Then the hotel charge has gone up in the "B" Suites since we were on Maasdam in 2010. It seems strange that the hotel charges would be the same for a BC, BB, BA as a Deluxe Suite.

The reason the charge goes up for the BC, BB and BA is because of the veranda. It really doesn't matter there's a bit more square footage to clean in the "S", it's adding the veranda that adds cleaning time/work.

A cabin without a veranda is serviced much faster.

The increase in HSC started recently, maybe even this year - so you (and everyone) would have paid $11 - that's what we paid in an A category cabin in 1/2010.

And yes, kazu, we are talking about the same thing!

On a S class ship that would be 'S' and 'PS' cabins, those are your suites. They are the only cabin entitled to the bonus days as far as I know.

I believe that was true when the new program was introduced back in 2009 ... then it evolved to include the A thru BC categories on the S and R ships.

On our Fall 2009 cruise, we were credited only one day for each sailed day in a category B Verandah Suite. Several months after our return, I noted comments here about CC members getting double days in those verandah suites. I emailed the Mariner Society and we each were credited additional days for the suite bonus.

I agree 200 days was a low number at which to cap off the Star Mariner Program.

JMO ....

Yes, 200 days is too low, considering that HAL gives double days for suites, and the HAL ships have many, many suites on each ship. Princess, for instance, also gives double days for full suites ... but those ships have maybe 25 suites, not multiple decks of mostly suite cabins.

Salacia:

The various of classes of HAL ships are:

"S" Class Ships

Statendam

Maasdam

Ryndam

Veendam

"R" Class Ships

Rotterdam

Amsterdam

Volendam

Zaandam

Vista Ships

Zuiderdam

Oosterdam

Westerdam

Noordam

Signature Ships

Eurodam

Nieuw Amsterdam

Prinsendam is the 15th HAL ship and is unique unto herself. She was not built by HAL but was built by the now defunct Royal Viking Cruise Line.

[/b]

Thank you ! I've not yet sailed on an "S" class ship. Looking forward to the experience (but not without some trepidation). Regards, Salacia

Thank you ! I've not yet sailed on an "S" class ship. Looking forward to the experience (but not without some trepidation). Regards, Salacia

No need for trepidation Salacia ;) The 's' class ships are great IMO:D Just got off the Maasdam a couple of months ago and she is our 2nd most favourite ship. Our favourite - the oldest ship in the fleet - Prinsendam:)

No need for trepidation Salacia ;) The 's' class ships are great IMO:D Just got off the Maasdam a couple of months ago and she is our 2nd most favourite ship. Our favourite - the oldest ship in the fleet - Prinsendam:)

Thanks kazu. Appreciate your encouragement. Never been sea sick, and I'm hoping my record holds (ten voyages on QM2, one on Caribbean Princess - both large ships :) Looking forward to my "S" class experience...actually quite an adventure :)

Archived