Cruise Critic Community
SparklyPinkCruiser

20% off discount instead of OBC for on board issues?

We just got off the Enchantment to Bermuda yesterday and had a wonderful time. The exception was one night in which we were awoken at around 3:30am with what seemed to be a drilling/sawing sound. This went on for maybe an hour or so. We were informed there was nothing they could do about this because they were fixing pipes, it just happened to be right above our cabin.

For our troubles we were given some sort of certificate for 20% off our next cruise (at current cruise prices). So at most this will be 250 dollars or so.

We really would have preferred OBC, but guest relations would not budge and said this was the best they could do. We also got a Next Cruise certificate (bought it before this happened) and I'm hoping I can combine the two but not sure as it seemed so confusing!

Has anybody received this sort of discount before and have you had any trouble using it or combining with other discounts?

I had one and had no issues using it with a cruise I had booked onboard. It is basically works the same as cash and they will deduct the amount ($250) from your fare.

Edited by Puffinater

This would be the time to get the suite and the savings would be greater than an OBC. :)

We just got off the Enchantment to Bermuda yesterday and had a wonderful time. The exception was one night in which we were awoken at around 3:30am with what seemed to be a drilling/sawing sound. This went on for maybe an hour or so. We were informed there was nothing they could do about this because they were fixing pipes, it just happened to be right above our cabin.

For our troubles we were given some sort of certificate for 20% off our next cruise (at current cruise prices). So at most this will be 250 dollars or so.

We really would have preferred OBC, but guest relations would not budge and said this was the best they could do. We also got a Next Cruise certificate (bought it before this happened) and I'm hoping I can combine the two but not sure as it seemed so confusing!

Has anybody received this sort of discount before and have you had any trouble using it or combining with other discounts?

You did well. We had the mirror fall of the wall in the middle of the night and land on our bed. From start to finish we were awake from 12:30 am to about 2:30 by the time all the mirror shards were cleaned up and bed sheets were changed and we were back in bed. Neither of us were injured and all was well. We received a 10% discount (we were on Oasis in an OS so it is a fair amount of money) on an upcoming cruise as well as a bottle of wine. We were happy with this but more concern that it did not happen to any other mirrors in any other rooms for customers safety.

We were able to combine it with our FCC and are using it for our cruise later this month. We were not able combine it with our stockholder benefit though as we just found out.

See pics below of the mirror. Having them was worth a thousand words while talking with guest services etc...

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Oasis--Day4059.jpg

Oasis--Day4058.jpg

In 2010, they messed up our reservation. I booked through RC and specifically told the Rep that I needed a sofa bead and a pullman because my kids were too old to be sleeping together (boy and girl). When we got to our room there was no pullman and as luck would have it, it was spring break and the ship was full. They did give us a certificate good towards our next cruise.

I booked the cruise and months later received an email from Royal concerning savings certificates for my sailing. We were able to apply these towards the cruise also. It was turned out to be the best cruise deal we have ever had!

And then on the way home in 2011, we let American bump us and that paid for our airfare to San Juan in 2012!

Keep your eyes open for sales and good luck!

I've gotten percentages off twice in the past. The most recent one was for the way I was treated by one of the head staff in guest services on FOS. It saved me enough to feel like the price I paid for the Allure (leaving this Sunday) was affordable -- I had put an ocean view cabin on "hold" and it was upgraded to an ocean balcony-- So this upgrade plus the money I got from RCI made this trip a no-brainer :D

You did well. We had the mirror fall of the wall in the middle of the night and land on our bed. From start to finish we were awake from 12:30 am to about 2:30 by the time all the mirror shards were cleaned up and bed sheets were changed and we were back in bed. Neither of us were injured and all was well. We received a 10% discount (we were on Oasis in an OS so it is a fair amount of money) on an upcoming cruise as well as a bottle of wine. We were happy with this but more concern that it did not happen to any other mirrors in any other rooms for customers safety.

We were able to combine it with our FCC and are using it for our cruise later this month. We were not able combine it with our stockholder benefit though as we just found out.

See pics below of the mirror. Having them was worth a thousand words while talking with guest services etc...

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Oasis--Day4059.jpg

Oasis--Day4058.jpg

Wow!:eek: Glad you were not hurt, if that happened to me I think I would have gone through the roof when that glass shattered.

We got a discount on a future cruise on our very first RCI cruise. We had a toilet issue and they had to come in twice to fix it. The second time was after midnight and I wasn't feeling well. We were kept awake til around 2 am while they fixed it. Asking for OBC never entered our minds. We also never asked for the discount. They gave it to us for the inconvenience.

As for the mirror, wow! is all I can say.

Edited by BND

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Wow, glad you weren't hurt! I think that the combinability issue for the stockholder benefit has to do with your FCC, not with the 10% off coupon.

......gimmmeee....gimmeeee......gimmeee.......hey accidents AND emergencies happen........would you rather have the sewerage or water seeping into your stateroom????......Oh boy!.....

......gimmmeee....gimmeeee......gimmeee.......hey accidents AND emergencies happen........would you rather have the sewerage or water seeping into your stateroom????......Oh boy!.....

I agree. I feel sorry for the cruise lines sometimes when I see the type of compensation that they give out for sometimes small issues. I'm speaking generally here.

More specifically, I know of a larger issue that happened to some friends of mine......but I still can't help thinking it was THEIR doing and not Royals. My friend is a rather large man and he sat on the toilet to do his business (at least that what he said he was doing) and the toilet fell off the wall. Maintenance was in there pronto and cleaned up everything and made immediate repairs. Well my friends went back and forth with Royal until they wound up with a totally free cruise to compensate. He wasn't hurt - just startled. But I do know he milked this one as big as he could till they wound up with a $3000 credit. I definitely felt they had a case of the gimmees going on there.

Wow!:eek: Glad you were not hurt, if that happened to me I think I would have gone through the roof when that glass shattered.

Yes my wife said she woke to my screaming, like a girl. I was half asleep while the mirror fell and landed on our bed and proceeded to slowly slide off the edge of the bed and came to rest where you see it in the picture. They had to change all the bedding due to mirror chards over the sheets not to mention on the desk, carpet etc...

The good thing is that we had 2 routes of escape out of our sleeping area. I could only imagine if someone jumped out of bed half awake and ended up on the mirror in bare feet. Or worse yet if while falling turned the opposite way and landed by my head and not my feet. It could've been a very serious situation with a trip to the ship's doctor versus something we laugh about.

Judging from your image beside your name you deal with safety on a daily basis. On the second photo the caulking had no adhesive grip left. There was some two sided tape that was most likely what was keeping the mirror up and eventually it just gave out. My biggest fear is that this happened on Oasis, a ship only a few years old. Was our mirror 1 of 1, or one of many to come. It fell on a night were the seas where calm.

Every one we met were great from house keeping, to maintence, to head of housekeeping for the whole ship as well as the assistant to hotel manager. First words out of the room stewart's mouth as "oh $h!t". The general comments from all who helped us was that had never seem anything like this happen before, with all the years at sea. 20 years for the head of housekeeping.

Most importantly we were all healthy and unharmed. It also added to safety inspection for their rounds. It also makes for a fun story and the credit to use in 1 year helps with the price of our upcoming cruise. I will be checking the mirror at our beside as soon as we get in our room though;)

Andrew

Wow, glad you weren't hurt! I think that the combinability issue for the stockholder benefit has to do with your FCC, not with the 10% off coupon.

You are 100% correct. We are able to use it on our cruise in late June where we did not have any FCC.

With Princess you can use them combined which I am used to, but with RCI the policy is different.

Can't win them all:)

Andrew

Yes my wife said she woke to my screaming, like a girl. I was half asleep while the mirror fell and landed on our bed and proceeded to slowly slide off the edge of the bed and came to rest where you see it in the picture. They had to change all the bedding due to mirror chards over the sheets not to mention on the desk, carpet etc...

The good thing is that we had 2 routes of escape out of our sleeping area. I could only imagine if someone jumped out of bed half awake and ended up on the mirror in bare feet. Or worse yet if while falling turned the opposite way and landed by my head and not my feet. It could've been a very serious situation with a trip to the ship's doctor versus something we laugh about.

Judging from your image beside your name you deal with safety on a daily basis. On the second photo the caulking had no adhesive grip left. There was some two sided tape that was most likely what was keeping the mirror up and eventually it just gave out. My biggest fear is that this happened on Oasis, a ship only a few years old. Was our mirror 1 of 1, or one of many to come. It fell on a night were the seas where calm.

Every one we met were great from house keeping, to maintence, to head of housekeeping for the whole ship as well as the assistant to hotel manager. First words out of the room stewart's mouth as "oh $h!t". The general comments from all who helped us was that had never seem anything like this happen before, with all the years at sea. 20 years for the head of housekeeping.

Most importantly we were all healthy and unharmed. It also added to safety inspection for their rounds. It also makes for a fun story and the credit to use in 1 year helps with the price of our upcoming cruise. I will be checking the mirror at our beside as soon as we get in our room though;)

Andrew

We had a similar type incident on another line during rough seas where the 2 panels next to a mirror fell at different times striking my husband first no injury and the second me where I was bruised due to a corner hitting me. Well on board it was all but ignored by quite a few different employees and we requested that these panels not be put back up since not really secured and still rough seas but they were! We had them removed and not a care in the world after a few trips to straighten it out. Well I wrote the corporate office and they were mortified and did rectify the problem with us

We had sewage come up in our bathroom and got 15% off, free soda package, and wine/cheese package. We were in a JS, so it worked out to $300.

It's been a bit of a fight getting the certificate....after 6 weeks we have been told it is in the mail.

Will be on this ship next Friday. Do you mind saying what cabin you were in?

We had sewage come up in our bathroom and got 15% off, free soda package, and wine/cheese package. We were in a JS, so it worked out to $300.

It's been a bit of a fight getting the certificate....after 6 weeks we have been told it is in the mail.

Hi Twiggers. We enjoyed reading your Spanish Imersion review and I remember reading about your DH shower incident as well as the Sprite Zero. We had a letter from the pursers office before we got of the ship and actual certificate came in approximately a month. Hope your one arrives in the mail soon. You will have 1 year to use it.

We received about $1,450 in credit that we have applied to our upcoming cruise. Any discount is always nice, even though it comes with an unfortunate experience.

Enjoyed your review and hope to read another one some day, perhaps when you use your credit.

Andrew

We had a similar type incident on another line during rough seas where the 2 panels next to a mirror fell at different times striking my husband first no injury and the second me where I was bruised due to a corner hitting me. Well on board it was all but ignored by quite a few different employees and we requested that these panels not be put back up since not really secured and still rough seas but they were! We had them removed and not a care in the world after a few trips to straighten it out. Well I wrote the corporate office and they were mortified and did rectify the problem with us

It is unfortunate that your experience was not resolved while you were on board. This is one of those situations that it is better for corporate to find out that their staff had failed. It is too bad that you were the ones to experience the failure. Hopefully you were badly hurt by the panels.

That's one heck of a photo with the mirror. :)

DW pointed out it was a good thing I put my robe on:eek: prior to taking the photo.

It is unfortunate that your experience was not resolved while you were on board. This is one of those situations that it is better for corporate to find out that their staff had failed. It is too bad that you were the ones to experience the failure. Hopefully you were badly hurt by the panels.

:eek:

:eek:

;)

I know! That really bothered me the most. My husband wasn't injured just scared due to a panel fall while sleeping. I was bruised about 4 inches by 6 inches. It really bothered me that the ship crew from steward who just put them back up after we requested them not to be since nothing attaching them to the wall which I thought was very odd and that too was in my letter to corporate. Then put up again a second time the next day. I did go down to the purser desk and made a report as well all on board just blew it off. Maybe in hopes that I would as well. That fact was what really bugged me the most the lack of any care or proper response. Anyway it was rectified and apology for the ship staff lack of procedures. I guess I could have made a bigger fuss on board but I just didn't. I'm not like that

I know! That really bothered me the most. My husband wasn't injured just scared due to a panel fall while sleeping. I was bruised about 4 inches by 6 inches. It really bothered me that the ship crew from steward who just put them back up after we requested them not to be since nothing attaching them to the wall which I thought was very odd and that too was in my letter to corporate. Then put up again a second time the next day. I did go down to the purser desk and made a report as well all on board just blew it off. Maybe in hopes that I would as well. That fact was what really bugged me the most the lack of any care or proper response. Anyway it was rectified and apology for the ship staff lack of procedures. I guess I could have made a bigger fuss on board but I just didn't. I'm not like that

Your personality is much like ours. Making a fuss is not our style either. It usually makes more stress than is worth. This is an admirable trait in my opinion.