Charleston port - any questions

thankx. above and beyond bobsfamily. gf is wondering, is french quarter anything like new orleans?? fflashh

LOL... the only "french quarter" in downtown Charleston is the:

http://www.fqicharleston.com/

Not exactly true but if you asked most people they would look at you with a blank stare if you asked where the French Quarter District is. Here is some info about it from a website that sells real estate:

http://www.locountry.com/french_quarter_walking_tour.html

Quite informative but again not anywhere near New Orleans French Quarter.

There are several more sites about the area but I cannot show here... just google it

This can give you a wealth of knowledge about downtown (and surrounding areas):

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/

Lots of bars though:

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/what_to_see_do~3/nightlife~39/

Hope this helps,

Bob

We are sailing on the Fantasy November 3rd. I have been searching for a good stay and cruise deal (I'm cheap, this has been a painful process, LOL!). I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Clarion Inn in N. Charleston or Rodeway Inn in Mt. Pleasant. They are basically the same price, but they both have issues.

I have read reviews that the Clarion is in an awful neighborhood (it didn't really look that bad to me, I live in Spartanburg, so I'm pretty immune!), but has nice rooms. The Rodeway Inn seems to be in a better neighborhood, but I have read horrible reviews of dirty rooms, bedbugs, roaches, etc. I am not VERY worried about room quality as long as it is halfway clean and bug free; however, I would hate to have my car broken into while I'm relaxing in the Bahamas.

Any thoughts? TIA!

Long shot here...

Do you know if there are any hotels that would let me park for the duration of my cruise if I planned on staying the night that we disembark?

We only live a few hours away from Charleston, and we love it. We might want to spend the day/night after our cruise.

Long shot here...

Do you know if there are any hotels that would let me park for the duration of my cruise if I planned on staying the night that we disembark?

We only live a few hours away from Charleston, and we love it. We might want to spend the day/night after our cruise.

Today 05:17 PM

Check out:

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/special_offers/packages/stay/

They have a list, some with shuttles, some without. It is what we are doing (I would hate to have a flat tire on the way and miss my ship!) I haven't been able to decide WHERE yet, though.

Long shot here...

Tabbi,

The above note is correct. Check out that website.

There are several of us in the lowcountry that would to help... BUT parking at the port does give you the advantage of leaving as soon as you get off(of the ship)

We are sailing on the Fantasy November 3rd. I have been searching for a good stay and cruise deal (I'm cheap, this has been a painful process, LOL!). I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Clarion Inn in N. Charleston or Rodeway Inn in Mt. Pleasant. They are basically the same price, but they both have issues.

I have read reviews that the Clarion is in an awful neighborhood (it didn't really look that bad to me, I live in Spartanburg, so I'm pretty immune!), but has nice rooms. The Rodeway Inn seems to be in a better neighborhood, but I have read horrible reviews of dirty rooms, bedbugs, roaches, etc. I am not VERY worried about room quality as long as it is halfway clean and bug free; however, I would hate to have my car broken into while I'm relaxing in the Bahamas.

Any thoughts? TIA!

We have stayed at Rodeway (the one on Johnnie Dodds Blvd) twice in the last couple years and are staying there again in December. Clean, no bugs, nice breakfast, transportation to and from port, parking in front of big windows of the lobby, car has been safe.

I am not VERY worried about room quality as long as it is halfway clean and bug free; however, I would hate to have my car broken into while I'm relaxing in the Bahamas.

Any thoughts? TIA!

As cuyahoga11 said I think the RodeWay Inn should be fine.

AS for the Clarion I would not leave my car there for any reason, period. You really need to drop it from you list or you might just find the car gone/broken into/tires gone/etc.:eek:

As cuyahoga11 said I think the RodeWay Inn should be fine.

AS for the Clarion I would not leave my car there for any reason, period. You really need to drop it from you list or you might just find the car gone/broken into/tires gone/etc.:eek:

Thanks for the input guys! I guess I will be calling the Rodeway Inn to book tomorrow :)

Any recommendations for something cheap and touristy to do the afternoon before our cruise?

Thanks for the input guys! I guess I will be calling the Rodeway Inn to book tomorrow :)

Any recommendations for something cheap and touristy to do the afternoon before our cruise?

It's not the cheapest thing but a carriage ride thru downtown is very memorable. You can walk around the Market street area, see where the ship will dock for nothing.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Magrath+Darby+Blvd&daddr=market+and+east+bay,+charleston,+sc&hl=en&ll=32.793011,-79.918499&spn=0.027057,0.055747&sll=32.798097,-79.859791&sspn=0.108222,0.222988&geocode=FVCJ9AEdxuQ8-w%3BFZ8z9AEdzGc8-ynthQJMDHr-iDGix2ZF_ql-GQ&mra=ls&t=m&z=15

We who live here are amazed that when we go to another country and go to the straw market (like Nassau) it looks very similar to what we have downtown, which is also fondly called the "straw market".

You could also go over to the Isle of Palms, SC and walk on the beach.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Magrath+Darby+Blvd&daddr=32.83257,-79.82675+to:32.78657,-79.78662+to:Ocean+Blvd&hl=en&ll=32.798097,-79.859791&spn=0.108222,0.222988&sll=32.784956,-79.79082&sspn=0.003382,0.006968&geocode=FVCJ9AEdxuQ8-w%3BFTr89AEdwvA9-ykZvYIqA3L-iDHrFe9lunI4sQ%3BFYpI9AEdhI0--ykPIJKrqXP-iDEbReB5nOqrmw%3BFYVC9AEdeIA--w&oq=1401+ocea&mra=dme&mrsp=3&sz=18&via=1,2&t=m&z=13

Have a great trip!

Hi, Bobsfamily! Thanks for all the information you gave me on making my Dad's cruise awesome over on the Carnival board. I have one more question...

We've booked the Comfort Inn on Bee Street. Is that an okay area? The reviews were a mixed bag, but no mention of bed bugs or dead bodies under the bed, so I think we'll be okay on that end. We're just always a little concerned about location, since we're traveling with a couple of somewhat-disabled 70-somethings. :rolleyes:

Again, thanks for all the help and for this WONDERFUL thread. How nice are you to help out like this?! Thanks!!! :D

Hi, Bobsfamily! Thanks for all the information you gave me on making my Dad's cruise awesome over on the Carnival board. I have one more question...

We've booked the Comfort Inn on Bee Street. Is that an okay area? The reviews were a mixed bag, but no mention of bed bugs or dead bodies under the bed, so I think we'll be okay on that end. We're just always a little concerned about location, since we're traveling with a couple of somewhat-disabled 70-somethings. :rolleyes:

Again, thanks for all the help and for this WONDERFUL thread. How nice are you to help out like this?! Thanks!!! :D

You are more than welcome. OK the hotel is right in the middle of a bunch of Hospitals and most likely many of the guests are either patients family or resident doctors... I'm sure it's a fine place but it is real near very busy streets and not really anywhere to walk to except a couple of fast food places. If you do not have a car a cab would be necessary. Here is a map from the hotel to the port (and market street):

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=comfort+inn&daddr=32.7887455,-79.9296293+to:Concord+St&hl=en&ll=32.782512,-79.936352&spn=0.02706,0.055747&sll=32.778002,-79.936738&sspn=0.027062,0.055747&geocode=FcBD9AEdM_07-yH4NufwBaiqzyk5uiu6N3r-iDH4NufwBaiqzw%3BFQlR9AEd4148-yk3rw1wcnr-iDGzz8_eoUhktw%3BFbAz9AEdgm08-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&t=m&z=15

(if you needed a hospital you are surrounded by the VA, MUSC (a teaching hospital), Roper)

The hotel itself is not bad and you should be fine but if wanting to be near the "action" you might try this one:

http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/south-carolina/charleston/days-inn-charleston-historic-district/hotel-overview?reg=Local-_-all-_-DI-_-all&cid=IP_Local&wid=local

Usually reasonable and in walking distance of everything.

One other to think about is the "round" Holiday Inn... only a bit from the one you have picked but if you get the right room up high you can see the ship in the morning!

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/charleston/chsrv/hoteldetail

Don't get me wrong the one you have picked will do, just the others would either get you very close to the downtown area (walkable and wheelchairable) or with the other a great view. I personally would change, not because of any problem but because of what you can get for most likely the same or near price. ($90+ tax round Holiday Inn - Days Inn $92+ tax - Comfort Inn - $90 + tax for Check-in on the 12th checkout on the 13th)

Gosh you have a wonderful time and if I can help out any other way you can reach me at rentabob at live dot com.

Thank you so much! I may see if he wants to change to the one you can see the ships from. He'd get a kick out of that, for sure! I've been by it before and it's good for views, I bet!

Luckily, we are driving in, so we've got a car at our disposal to get him close to things.

Again, thank you so much for the info and for the contact info. I may be bugging you as we get closer! :)

Thank you so much! I may see if he wants to change to the one you can see the ships from. He'd get a kick out of that, for sure! I've been by it before and it's good for views, I bet!

Luckily, we are driving in, so we've got a car at our disposal to get him close to things.

Again, thank you so much for the info and for the contact info. I may be bugging you as we get closer! :)

Well I will be gone myself from the 2nd to the 11th - going on the Dream!

bob, Did charleston suffer any damage from Sandy? Is the port ok? fflashh

We got some wind but nothing to really bother here. A couple of palm fronds, biggest thing is the cool down... brrrr! It was 48 F this morning on the beach! :eek: (I know, I know!)

You will have no problems right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know anything about the new Holiday Inn they are building on Meeting Street. It should be complete next month. Just wondering if it is in a good location? My daughter was there and thought the area looked a little run down.

We are sailing in Jan. We being DH, DS and myself. Looking at hotels where we can leave car and they will shuttle to port. Or maybe staying out a bit and driving in and parking at terminal. DH and I both have disabled placards and it is my understanding that there is no charge for parking with a placard.

Would value opinions on which might be the better idea. Also upon return will DH be able to get anywhere near the terminal to pick us up or do we all have to walk to parking garage?

Thanks for any info provided.

OK SO im driven down and I wanted to know.. are there any CHEAPER (SAFE) places to park your car in the area.. (not staying in a hotel)

Thanks

Downtown has NO free parking... anywhere that looks like it is, is either an area that the car will be stripped or gone and others the car will be towed by the city. In reality the cost of parking is also the cost of a secure car. I would either pony up for a hotel parking or the port parking. Anything else is a real gamble.

We are sailing in Jan. We being DH, DS and myself. Looking at hotels where we can leave car and they will shuttle to port. Or maybe staying out a bit and driving in and parking at terminal. DH and I both have disabled placards and it is my understanding that there is no charge for parking with a placard.

Would value opinions on which might be the better idea. Also upon return will DH be able to get anywhere near the terminal to pick us up or do we all have to walk to parking garage?

Thanks for any info provided.

I would look for a nice reasonable hotel in the Mt. Pleasant area and drive to the port. With the placard you do not pay and your car is in a secure area and ready when you disembark. Best of both worlds.

Archived