LAFFNVEGAS LIVE from Zuiderdam first week to Alaska

LAFFNVEGAS

I don't know where you get your information from, but HAL ships don't have "silos", at least not since the last "Dyk" cargo ships left the fleet. Down on the decks where the crew live, in the aft part of the vessel, there are storage rooms, some refrigerated, where supplies/dry food/meats/fruits/liquids, etc are stored until taken to the galleys for preparation. There are no "fires" in those rooms!

If and when shipboard fires occur, they tend to happen in the galleys/hot plates, in the garbage room, paint store, engine room, sometimes in electrical fan rooms and by guests carelessly smoking/not using ashtrays, and not thinking where their ashes and/or butts wind up

Right from the mouths of the Captains when they make the announcements over the PA systems!!

I do not make up information!!

Right from the mouths of the Captains when they make the announcements over the PA systems!!

I do not make up information!!

Perhaps the Captain meant the incinerator "silo". Seems to be where most fires we have encountered have been there. Often time it is not a true fire but the smoke alarms go off in the incinerator area.

I heard it as a fan failed in the incinerator exhaust stack. There was no fire outside the actual incinerator just a build up of smoke in the stack due to the non-functioning fan which caused the fire alarm to go off.

It was a little exciting, it was our first non drill alarm on a ship. I'd guess it was just a bit more than ten minutes or so from the first alarm to the when captain announced that all was well.

People playing bingo we're happy DJ Steve had a fire station to report to and he did. He said he would get someone to take over, I don't know if he did.

Perhaps the Captain meant the incinerator "silo". Seems to be where most fires we have encountered have been there. Often time it is not a true fire but the smoke alarms go off in the incinerator area.

I was just reporting was the captains have said.

One time we did have a true fire in the incinerator -- quite a few years ago -- Statendam in Alaska. Alarms went off arounf 5:30 AM. Captain came on several times for the first 1/2 hour - and then after that we got a report every 1 to 2 hours and we hugged the shore line all day. He told us that they had to keep hosing down everything.

Another time we were on the Rotterdam when the emergency lights around one of the storage areas in the Lido blew -- smoke was billowing everywhere. Thankfully the crew got it out quickly.

It was probably one of the missile silos on Q-Deck:)

When you are using your camera phone on the ship to post photos, are you able to do it within your "minutes" or is there a roaming charge? (Are you "in Alaska" while sailing from one port to another? Does that matter with cell phones?)

Also how do you upload them directly to CC?

Tapatalk gives you the option of adding a photo to CC when you post. That was new to me so I had to check it out just now with my iPhone. You would be using your minutes to post it if you do it from the ship but your smart phone network can be used on shore. You can take pictures without wifi with airplane mode on. When you are sailing between stops you would be roaming so must use the ship wifi or pay cell phone rates if you want to post.

We don't have a Trader Joes -- only grocery stores in our area that are decent is Giant Eagle. Won't shop at Save-A-Lot -- everything is just stacked one box on top of another and brands I have never heard of -- very limited goods.

Won't buy meats, etc at WalMart either.

Giant Eagle only has salmon in the fresh refrigerator cases which you have to use right away.

We do not live in an area where we have a lot of choices in grocery stores.

The packets can be stored for a couple of years.

Ok, I can't resist. A friend of my owns "Captians Choice" which has the best Salmon around. This salmon is a local Seattle area fovorite treat. I know you won't be disapointed.

http://captainschoicesalmon.com/hbss.html

Wednesday May 16th, 2012

Good Evening from the MS Zuiderdam in Alaska where we had an amazing day in Glacier Bay National Park. While it was down right freezing it was clear with hardly a cloud in the sky with spectacular views. As cold as it was I expected little to no calving but we heard plenty of white thunder and also saw some calving.

This is our 9th time to Alaska and our 6th time to Glacier Bay and this time we saw far more snow that ever before. Also maybe because it is early or they have had a late spring we just have not seen much for whales this year. I took some great pictures on my camera as well as the camera on my phone so will share with you tomorrow when we are in Ketchikan.We actually arrived in Glacier Bay Early and were at Marjorie Glacier around 9:45 which was good because we had 12:30 lunch reservations in the Pinnacle and Pathfinderess and her husband joined us.

This evening was interesting, the ships are trying to do a few more things like inviting guests to dine with the Captain and Dine with the Hotel Manager. Melodie and her husband were invited to dine with Captain Turner and we were invited to dine with Mr Deering. It was a wonderful evening thee were 4 couples and Mr Deering. We met first in the Ocean Bar then were brought into the lower section of the Main Dining Room It was a great evening with fun conversations.

Tonight was also Illusionist Jame Cielon, who I personally know but have not seen his act a few years on the Oosterdam. I love seeing his poodles Shadow and Koda. He is a fellow Las Vegan. We did manage to make it to his show despite being just a few minutes late.

I have to admit I am having the hardest time keeping my eyes open so I am going to call it a night. I will write more tomorrow as well as post some pictures.

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Zuiderdam.

Do you think it will still be cold in early June? (I Know there isn't an answer available to that question, but I do feel better having asked it.)

We have been to Alaska 6 times, all in late May and early June. We've had temps in the 80s and temps in the 40s.

I've been monitoring the temps in SE Alaska the past couple of weeks, and it's been consistently cold, and mostly rainy each day.

However, all that can change over a couple of weeks......or it can stay the same. ;)

Do you think it will still be cold in early June? (I Know there isn't an answer available to that question, but I do feel better having asked it.)

One thing that I would note is that areas of Alaska (such as Anchorage) had record snowfall this year. Here is some information on that. This may be part of the reason Lisa has seen so much snow compared to what she has seen in the past (not to mention the colder weather at this time of year).

While it was down right freezing it was clear with hardly a cloud in the sky with spectacular views. As cold as it was I expected little to no calving but we heard plenty of white thunder and also saw some calving.

This is a curiosity of mine. Is there any correlation between temperature and calving with the glaciers? I googled this topic and didn't really find much useful information other than this rather abstruse summary:

Glacier fluctuations can yield climatic information. However, the relationship between climate and calving glaciers is not straightforward. Iceberg calving introduces instability to the glacier system causing glaciers to oscillate asynchronously with each other and with noncalving glaciers, and out of phase with climate change. Calving rates are controlled primarily by water depth, but, for any given depth, are an order of magnitude greater in tidewater than in freshwater. Calving dynamics are poorly understood, but differ between temperate and cold glaciers, and between grounded and floating termini. Nonclimatic behaviour of calving glaciers has been documented in a large number of locations, both in historical time and during the Late Glacial and Holocene. Interactions between calving dynamics, sedimentation and topographic geometry can partially decouple calving glaciers and marine ice sheets from climate, initiating independent advance/retreat cycles; it is therefore rarely possible to make reliable inferences about climate from their oscillations.

Anyone else have any insight into this notion?

We don't have a Trader Joes -- only grocery stores in our area that are decent is Giant Eagle. Won't shop at Save-A-Lot -- everything is just stacked one box on top of another and brands I have never heard of -- very limited goods.

Won't buy meats, etc at WalMart either.

Giant Eagle only has salmon in the fresh refrigerator cases which you have to use right away.

We do not live in an area where we have a lot of choices in grocery stores.

The packets can be stored for a couple of years.

Ok, I can't resist. A friend of my owns "Captians Choice" which has the best Salmon around. This salmon is a local Seattle area fovorite treat. I know you won't be disapointed.

http://captainschoicesalmon.com/hbss.html

I find the packets in Trader Joe's and another really good local grocer and love to keep them on the shelf.

We're so lucky to have so many choices where to shop. We were thrilled when we finally got a few Whole Foods locations near us. I was jealous when we didn't have one. :o

I'm thinking of ordering from your friend, Mr. NW Guy. I'm always eager to try salmon from all sort of sources. Thanks for the recommendation.

I would suggest having fresh fish and shellfish sent home from the Pike Place Fish Market (the one where they throw the fish, a real attraction in the market) the day before you are leaving Seattle. Packed in dry ice, ships beautifully, and then you can freeze it at home and use at your convenience. Copper River salmon and for sure the Dungeness Crabs, specialties of the Pacific Northwest. Fabulous. We've done it many times and also you can order online anytime.

Good Morning from Ketchikan Alaska :)

Been a lazy morning. We have been to Ketchikan 8 previous Alaska cruises so no big excursion planned. We will get off the ship so I can get some pictures of the other ships.

I will now post some of the pictures from yesterday. My regular camera is of course much better but this will give you an idea. Also will need to do several posts since it only will post 3 at a time.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1337276542150.jpg.01518f48c4912f331b62672d782b9836.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1337276568292.jpg.01e828295d25b190818a810b09301711.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1337276627196.jpg.58a9be3d274cce4ec17479c527ed8848.jpg

Archived