Brilliance of the Seas vs Adventure of the Seas?

Hi,

I have been spending a great deal of time trying to plan our very first cruise for the winter of 2013. I have found two itineraries that I like - one on Adventure of the Seas and one on Brilliance of the Seas. The one on Brilliance looks really good, and the flights I see are an excellent price as well as the price of the cruise - $2000 for my husband and I for the flights and cruise taxes and fees in. Sounds good to me. My main question is - will I be disappointed with Brilliance as it is a smaller ship? Can anyone share their comments on what this ship is like and what I can expect?

Thank you!!

Hi,

I have been spending a great deal of time trying to plan our very first cruise for the winter of 2013. I have found two itineraries that I like - one on Adventure of the Seas and one on Brilliance of the Seas. The one on Brilliance looks really good, and the flights I see are an excellent price as well as the price of the cruise - $2000 for my husband and I for the flights and cruise taxes and fees in. Sounds good to me. My main question is - will I be disappointed with Brilliance as it is a smaller ship? Can anyone share their comments on what this ship is like and what I can expect?

Thank you!!

I would pick Adventure any day over the Brilliance, but others feel differently.

The Adventure has better entertainment, a better pool deck, more to do, more places to eat/bars to drink, and more activities. The Brilliance has more glass and a more "at sea" feel, but nothing that sets it apart in my mind. You will be blown away with either if it is your first cruise, but if the price difference is small, I would absolutely go with the Adventure.

I have been on both and kruzerci sums up why I like the Brilliance better than Adventurer..."The Brilliance has more glass and a more "at sea" feel". The glass "wall" in the atrium is what set her and her sisters apart from other ships.

The Adventurer and the other Voyager class ships feel like I am in a shopping mall. The Freedom class ships expand on the Voyager class in positive ways. So my ranking would be...

1. Brilliance or sister ship

2. Freedom or sister ship

Look at another Cruise line

Then as a last resort book a AOS or another Voyager class ship.

I don't think you will be disappointed by either of them on your first cruise. We love the Brilliance...have sailed three 12 nighters on her so far and plan many more, and we just got off an Adventure cruise last week.

The Brilliance has a large open air/partly shaded section at the back of the windjammer which is a great place to eat.

The Solarium has a glass roof which is a big advantage over the open solarium on the Adventure if the weather is unsettled.

Adventure has the Promenade and almost all bars and events seem to be concentrated in that area....some people love it but it can get very crowded. We love the Schooner Bar/ Colony Club area on Brilliance which is where you'll find the pool tables.

Have fun choosing....you really won't know which you prefer until you've tried them all.:)

For what it is worth we have just cruised on Brilliance through the Suez Canal up to Rome and she is a MESS! we left RCL some 4 years ago to cruise with Celebrity because we thought RCL was "dumbing" down too much; we returned for this cruise because of the itinerary.

The ship is dirty, unkempt and badly managed; the Windjammer is the the worst I have ever experienced, with a poor choice of food and many "islands" not stocked half of the time. Examples, no fresh tomatoes one lunch time with the excuse "we only have them on some days" , garlic bread is no longer available with the Italian dishes "too labour intensive" !!

The ship appearance is scruffy, she has been in the Middle East for some time and is covered in sand, and I do mean covered. The Company logos on the stack are inches thick in sand, an hour with a pressure washer would sort it. There is the most enormous rust stain flowing down the side of the ship from the anchor hawse, again, an hour with a paint roller would sort it but nobody apparently cares. Finally, every stair carpet is worn through on the step, some appraoching the dangerous level.

Presumably the dumbing down process has continued apace since we jumped ship and it will be some time before we cruise RCL again.

Luv

Cy

xx:D

For what it is worth we have just cruised on Brilliance through the Suez Canal up to Rome and she is a MESS! we left RCL some 4 years ago to cruise with Celebrity because we thought RCL was "dumbing" down too much; we returned for this cruise because of the itinerary.

The ship is dirty, unkempt and badly managed; the Windjammer is the the worst I have ever experienced, with a poor choice of food and many "islands" not stocked half of the time. Examples, no fresh tomatoes one lunch time with the excuse "we only have them on some days" , garlic bread is no longer available with the Italian dishes "too labour intensive" !!

The ship appearance is scruffy, she has been in the Middle East for some time and is covered in sand, and I do mean covered. The Company logos on the stack are inches thick in sand, an hour with a pressure washer would sort it. There is the most enormous rust stain flowing down the side of the ship from the anchor hawse, again, an hour with a paint roller would sort it but nobody apparently cares. Finally, every stair carpet is worn through on the step, some appraoching the dangerous level.

Presumably the dumbing down process has continued apace since we jumped ship and it will be some time before we cruise RCL again.

Luv

Cy

xx:D

That makes me cringe. The Brilliance has always been our favourite ship - so elegant and beautiful. Is the ship due for drydock? There must be some reason that such a beautiful ship has been allowed to fall into such disrepair. :(

Kathy

Hi,

Thank you!!

I would recommend the Brilliance. You seem to have found a price that you are happy with. Being your first cruise, the ship is going to seem HUGE to you. Having nothing else to compare it to, you will be totally impressed. Southern itinerary cruises are very port intensive so you won't be on the ship much during the day.

Serenade of the Seas, Brilliance's sister ship is our favorite ship; we've sailed her 8 times, and were disappointed they moved her from San Juan. At 90+ GRT, these are by no means "small" ships - just not as big as the Voyager, Freedom or Oasis class ships. Radiance class ships are elegant, full of glass and we always find plenty to do. Serenade has always attacked fewer kids than Adventure, too, if that's important to you.

We chose Adventure for our winter 2013 cruise for a change, and because we preferred the itinerary to Brilliance's, and for the opportunity to experience a new ship while staying in the Southern Carib.

In 2010, I cruised on Serenade of the Seas out of San Juan. Serenade, as someone else mentioned, is a sister ship to Brilliance. Having cruised on Voyager and Freedom Class prior to my Serenade cruise, I expected to be somewhat disappointed with the smaller ship. I thought I'd miss the Royal Promenade and the ice show. To that point, Adventure of the Seas was my favorite ship. But, like you, I preferred the itinerary on the Radiance Class ship.

If you were traveling with kids, I'd suggest Adventure. There were VERY few little kids (under age 12) on our Serenade cruise. If you're just adults, I recommend giving Brilliance a try.

We all have our own experiences and opinions, but you specifically asked for ours. Here's mine:

• Radiance ships carry fewer passengers so it's easier to get to know your fellow cruisers.
  • Big events are more intimate. The disco party happens in the Centrum. You'll find yourself dancing "WITH" the Village people, as opposed to watching from below on the Promenade.
  • The Quest show happens in a more intimate setting as well. Instead of the majority of attendees being spectators, on Radiance ships the game is played with many teams of only six people - making it more competitive with more participation.
  • The ship is beautiful. As someone else mentioned, she's likely in need of a coat of paint and the main pool needs some sprucing up, but...WOW! The Solarium Pool is amazing - search Google-Images! The outdoor elevators which provide views of the ocean are awesome. Radiance class ships never let you forget you're at sea!
  • You can eat OUTSIDE at the Windjammer. This is just HUGE to me!! Nothing like sipping your morning coffee and enjoying your custom-made omelette while watching the ship dock at the port of the day.

Remember, you're talking about very port-intensive itineraries. You have ONE sea day. How much use would you really get out of a FlowRider, Ice Rink, etc.?? We found we NEVER missed those things.

Standard cabins on Radiance class will be a little smaller than on Freedom class. There is only ONE main pool, not the two you find on the bigger ships. (There is also the Solarium pool and the kiddie pool with slides.)

I thought the smaller ships would be crowded, but I found just the opposite. On ANY ship, you can find secluded places...until there is a MAJOR event that draws nearly all the passengers to the same location. It's at THOSE times you notice how much LESS crowded the smaller ships are.

Let us know what you decide.

It never ever ceases to amaze me how two people on the same cruise can both be In the same room and one says wow, this ship looks great! It's in such good shape for its age and the other viewing the same room thinks, wow, this ship is trashed. Needs alot of work. My previous experiences having sailed on some older RCCL ships have all been positive. I have found people's complaints of, shabby and worn down to be highly over exaggerated. The cruise lines work hard to keep things looking nice on their older ships, and while they may not be sparkling new still present themselves very nicely.

Which ever ship you choose, you will have an amazing time! Cruising is the best way to vacation. :)

Serenade of the Seas, Brilliance's sister ship is our favorite ship; we've sailed her 8 times, and were disappointed they moved her from San Juan. At 90+ GRT, these are by no means "small" ships - just not as big as the Voyager, Freedom or Oasis class ships. Radiance class ships are elegant, full of glass and we always find plenty to do. Serenade has always attacked fewer kids than Adventure, too, if that's important to you.

We chose Adventure for our winter 2013 cruise for a change, and because we preferred the itinerary to Brilliance's, and for the opportunity to experience a new ship while staying in the Southern Carib.

Made me giggle!:D:eek:

I've never sailed on Brilliance (but will be next March), however; I have sailed on the Serenade, her sister ship, and the Adventure. I don't think you can really go wrong on either ship. We loved the Adventure, but our favorite ship is the Serenade. We too, were disapppointed to find out it was leaving San Juan. We felt the Serenade crew was a little more personable (not that the Adventure crew was bad). I look forward to trying Brilliance next Spring. In the end, people's opinions are just that.....opinions. Everyone has different tastes. Your trip is what you make it. Enjoy whichever cruise you choose :)

OP, what are the itineraries and ports? I guess I could look it up but I don't have time. Hoping you can provide that info for a little broader spectrum.

Brilliance is magnificent, with the exception of the recent poster who said she is "a mess" - if she has been in the Middle East, I do believe the sand issue but other than that, she is phenominal. Voyager class ships are amazing as well. Have sailed 3 times that class.

So I don't know... will wait to hear more. :)

I don't think you will be disappointed by either of them on your first cruise. We love the Brilliance...have sailed three 12 nighters on her so far and plan many more, and we just got off an Adventure cruise last week.

The Brilliance has a large open air/partly shaded section at the back of the windjammer which is a great place to eat.

The Solarium has a glass roof which is a big advantage over the open solarium on the Adventure if the weather is unsettled.

Adventure has the Promenade and almost all bars and events seem to be concentrated in that area....some people love it but it can get very crowded. We love the Schooner Bar/ Colony Club area on Brilliance which is where you'll find the pool tables.

Have fun choosing....you really won't know which you prefer until you've tried them all.:)

I like how UK above put it. I really don't think you'll be disappointed at the size difference....here are a couple things to consider.

From my experience, no matter the size of the ship, it's just easier if you book a mid ship stateroom. If you were to book a stateroom far forward or aft (esp. on Adventure) you walk A LOT up and down a long hallway to get to your stateroom. Midship, you're halfway there as soon as you're out the door.

I know Brilliance has itineraries from both San Juan and Guadelupe. Well, in my opinion, San Juan isn't an attractive island stop. If I had to choose between Adventure from San Juan or Brilliance from Guadelupe with an island stop at SJ, I'd choose Adventure.

I've not sailed on Brilliance but her sister Serenade. The only downside for us was the outside pool deck, which has only one pool. The Solarium is lovely, but only at high noon when the sun is straight overhead does it seem like something better than an indoor pool.

The outdoor dining at the Windjammer is teriffic, especially breakfast when you're first seeing the islands.

Either way, you're going to LOVE cruising. It is so wonderful.

Good luck choosing.

I am on the Brilliance right now and must say you are way exagerating. Could use some new painting here and there and the WJ is as good as it can get! (maybe they restock in Rome)

This is good to hear! I'm going to be on the Brilliance in a few short months! I have been nervous about some people saying that it's worn.

It will be quite a shock after being on the Allure, but I have a feeling that the scenery of the Norwegian fjords will make up for any scuffs on the walls :)

Hi,

Thank you!!

First..........welcome to Cruise Critic! We are glad that you have found us, and you have already found that we are made up of a very diverse group of people that love to cruise.

And along with that statement, you will also hear positives and negatives about the same ship. Some of these need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Cruise Critic has a wonderful review section, where you can learn more about each of the ships that you are interested in.

We have the Brilliance booked for December of this year, and it will be our first sailing on her. However, we have spent a good amount of time on one of her sister ships the Jewel of the Seas, and she is, by far, our favorite.

We prefer the Radiance Class ship over the Voyager Class, for the same reasons that have been already mentioned. We feel that we are on a ship, not a floating mall. The larger class ships all have promonades, and to me it just feels like a mall.

And I'm sure that the next poster will disagree, and tell you why they like the Voyager Class more..........and that truly is the beauty of Cruise Critic.

Whichever you pick for your first cruise.......will be memorable!!:);)

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

To the OP, I am sure you have already booked. We too enjoyed the Jewel, the same class as the Brilliance. If you were sailing later, I could give you a definite comparison. We are booked for Christmas 2012 on Adventure, and March 2013 on Brilliance. Either way, I think you will have a great time. We are a family of three that includes a DS 8. Our first choice for a vacation is to cruise. I even have my parents hooked. I hope you enjoy it as well.

Haven't done Adventure/Brilliance but I have been on Navigator/Jewel! You won't be disappointed with the Brilliance, it is a smaller ship, but they are beautiful ships!

I would happily do the S. Caribbean on Brilliance but we went with Adventure so that my parents could try a different class!

Hi,

Thank you!!

I just got off the Brilliance earlier this week. I wrote my cruise review today so it will be published shortly. You may be interested in reading it. I had little worries just like you about how much I would like the Brilliance as I've only ever had experience with Freedom and Voyager class ships. Well, the verdict is in--it's fun! You can't really compare the two, just like you can't compare the Oasis or the Allure to the rest of the Royal fleet. All the classes are different...and wonderful. We really like the Brilliance. Great staff that goes over and beyond making sure you have a happy vacation. If the Brilliance's itinerary and timing suits you better, go for it without a second thought!!

Wow - thanks for all the feedback. I am feeling pretty good about Brilliance. We are not completely decided yet, but I am very much leaning towards it. Thanks!

Brilliance was the first ship we cruised on. Since then, we have sailed on both larger and smaller ships belonging to Royal. We still like the Brilliance class best.

While Brilliance is smaller than Adventure, no way is she a small ship! When built, she was described as "Panamax", which means she is one of the largest ships that can pass through the Panama Canal.

Enjoy your cruise, whichever ship you eventually choose!

I've done many terrific cruises on the "Voyager" class of ships, which include Adventure, but like many posters I much prefer the "Radiance" class which includes Brilliance.

I spent 19 days on Brilliance in the Middle East & India in April of this year and I never saw any of the extreme wear and tear or even a single grain of sand. Yes there is a bit of wear here & there, just like many 5 star hotels I've stayed in, but she still is a beautiful ship with the RCCL "WOW" factor!

The staff was among the best I've encountered on any RCCL ship, so many going the "extra mile" time after time.

Another plus, not previously mentioned is that Brilliance still has the Seaview Cafe. It is fairly hidden (above to open air dining at the back of the windjammer). It is no-charge and the food is cooked just for you & no crowds (pizza, pasta & pannini's) Open till 1am I think, Just Great! Be sure to give it a try early in your cruise, so you can return!

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise!

Archived