Drinks on the Dawn....seriously???

Lthouselady

How much are smoothies at places like Orange-Julius these days??? :confused: I recall them being quite expensive even years ago.

A smoothie and a non alcoholic, frozen foo-foo are 2 totally different things....

I don't drink normally but now that I am pregnant I won't be drinking at all. However, my husband does enjoy a drink here and there and we agreed that a 2 drink limit each night is reasonable. We budgeted approx. $15 to $20 a night so hearing the prices are a little below that makes me happy.

Quick question though, are the drinks strong or not so strong?

Megan =)

I don't drink normally but now that I am pregnant I won't be drinking at all. However, my husband does enjoy a drink here and there and we agreed that a 2 drink limit each night is reasonable. We budgeted approx. $15 to $20 a night so hearing the prices are a little below that makes me happy.

Quick question though, are the drinks strong or not so strong?

Megan =)

I've always found them to be about medium. If you have a favorite bartender who knows you, sometimes those drinks will get a bit stronger.

As others have mentioned I thought the drink prices were really no higher than any chain restaurant or local bar to my area. I would love it of course if it was cheaper but it is what it is.

We like to have a good time and drinking is part of it. We budgeted a serious chunk of money for on board expenses so it was a big deal as we knew what we were looking at going in. The tastings, and beer buckets do help save some money.

I also noticed that toward the end of the week the servers at the pool made sure the drinks were plenty strong. Needless to say our favorite server got a little extra tip which I am sure he appreciated.

As a very light drinker (on ships, due to cost) I'd like them to continue making their money on drinks and not have to add it to our fare. :)

Same here. Gives more freedom of choice.

The cruise fare alone is a breakeven or small loss proposition - cruise line profitability comes from on board charges like alcohol.

We did the Dawn from Boston to Bermuda on 4/27. They actually had signs on a couple of the bars that stated that the souvenir cup was an additional $2.75. This was our sixth cruise and this is the first time I had seen these signs. We were on the Dawn last September and I did not see them.

I honestly don't see any difference between now and "years ago". Prices for drinks have always been resort-level on cruise ships, meaning they're not cheap. Alcohol sales have always been a major revenue source for mainstream cruise ships, at least as long as I've been taking cruises (almost 30 years). To me, the prices were reasonable years ago and they're still reasonable, given the context (i.e., travel/entertainment venue).

Not in our waters, I remember paying about half the normal land price for drinks back in the 70s when it was duty free, but I admit ticket prices were a lot dearer than they are now relatively speaking.

Not in our waters, I remember paying about half the normal land price for drinks back in the 70s when it was duty free, but I admit ticket prices were a lot dearer than they are now relatively speaking.

Could be. I can't comment on drink prices in the 70s. I've only been sailing since the early 80s.

As far as cruise fares in general, however, you are right. If you look at today's prices, they are incredibly low compared to 20-30-40 years ago once you adjust for inflation.

Hi,

Don't suppose anybody knows how much a bottle of bubbly will cost on the NCL ship's do they?

:D

We paid the same price for our bottle of wine that they were charging on the the NCL site bon voyage gifts.

They do have some specials for wine and maybe champagne (I don't know) when you first board the ship. Sorry we didn't look at those or buy any from there so I cannot give you more details about that.

Also don't forget the tip that is included in the price. Beverage costs are something we budget for appropriately and keep in mind during consumption. We always tell them to keep the special glass since we don't want it anyway. Enjoy!!

• 2 months later...
Hi , Do you still have the copies of the daily s from Dawn? Would love to see them if you do. Will you post them?

There is another post that had them recently - search for user "sobriquet" in a search.

Smoothies are expenive drinks because of the process to make them and all the ingredients. It is not fair to compare a smoothie to another alcoholic drink. Smoothies use real fruit, etc.

I live in Miami and please DONT tell NCL this but the drink prices on board are way less than on land anywhere in Miami or Miami Beach.

In Miami you will pay $9-$12 for a martini, $6 for a bottle of beer, etc

On board, the prices are less even with the gratuity added.

You can reduce the drink price when asking them to not include the souvenier glass. But someone posted here awhile ago that NCL now has the same price for either glass. I guess NCL caught on to our system LOL

I had an alcoholic smoothie in Posh on the Epic and it was amazing. It had a little rum in it. I think it was $10 or $12.

Smoothie King sells a large smoothie without extra features for $8.50 here in Miami.

So I love the drink prices on the ships ;)

I agree with this whole statement, I lived in South Beach for 5 years and when I cruised on the Epic last year I couldn't wait to board so I could afford the drinks LOL. A bucket of beers was like 24.00 for 5 beers plus one free. so 6 X 4 = 24.00 so whats up with that? pretty reasonable. They do add the tip so it comes to lie 27.00 but still. I thought it was OK. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to some of the pricing either. A Long Island Ice Tea (5 Liquors) was $7.00 and a Pina colada with 1 was $9.00 Go figure:rolleyes: But still I was Ok with it all. :D

Heres the tip of the day. Go to the On-Board Liquor store. Order some very cheap booze. They put it aside But and heres the big But, On the last night of the cruise(When you may be less rich) they distribute it all so ...voila...stateroom Bar....who knew?:eek:

Kev:cool:

Does anyone know how the wine is handled if one pays the $15.00 corkage fee to bring on own bottles?

for example. Do they supply glasses? Does it go on ship as carry on? Does it store in restaurants?

1) Your steward will supply wine glasses & an ice bucket on request, and will replace them on request. If you can't find your steward, just pick up the phone and ask.

2) It goes on as carry-on. If it's in your checked luggage, you'll have to go to the "naughty room" to pick it up, which can take some time.

3) You can bring it to the dining room one night and they'll keep it for you and retrieve it for you whenever you like.

Just returned from a Celebrity cruise and bought an alcohol/beverage package. Most drinks for a flat rate of $44. per day. Does Norwegian offer this type of thing?

That is a fantastic idea...[Pay attention NCL ] Fantastic deal....but alas NO, NCL does not offer this. Just soda packages...no Alcohol packages.

NCL does however offer Pub crawls and I do not know if any other lines do this. The pub crawl was something like 15 bucks (maybe more was too drunk to remember the price)and we went all over the ship and had a blast. Also there are many complimentary wine tastings, martini tastings etc....so you can find some reasonableness to the madness:eek:

Oh WAIT a Minute just noticed 44.00 PER DAY....not so fantastic I, yes, even I, would be hard pressed to do 44.00 worth a day every day duh.....

Have burp fun:D

Start drinking at the ELKS or Moose if you wish to drink cheap. The beer is usually $1.50, wine $3 for a large pour and the mixed drinks $2-4. At some nice places around SW Florida they feature 12oz. drafts for 99c and well drinks for $2. I guess it all depends how much you want to spend and how fancy you want the place to be.

Also there are many complimentary wine tastings, martini tastings etc....so you can find some reasonableness to the madness:eek:

Actually the wine, martini etc does have a charge it is $15pp + 15%. The only one that I seen that was complimentary was a liquor tasting in the duty free.

Archived