Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

logcabin

6/13-6/20 Dawn Review (VERY long)

We just returned from our cruise on the NCL Dawn. Following is our review of the ship and cruise. I have broken it down into 2 parts. The first part will be a quick “rating†of the cruise for those who hate reading long, drawn out reviews. The second part will be the “long, drawn out†review, getting into detail about things. So, here we go:

Due to our incredible TA who went above and beyond with his help and service, we were up-graded from a BE Gty to an AD Suite. I would highly recommend his services to anyone.

Ship: Just beautiful. The most impressive ship we have ever been on. A+

Cleanliness: Spotless. Non-stop cleaning of staff around the clock. A+

Service: Except for 2 servers, all others were outstanding. A

Room Stewards: Garry and Kim were just wonderful. Always went out of their way to make us happy. A+

Cabin: Romance Suite 10226. The nicest cabin we have had on any ship. Spotless, roomy, huge balcony overlooking wake of ship. A+

Butler Service: Had breakfast served to us each morning in our suite. Right on time each day. A+

Concierge: Very helpful. Surprised us with little snacks before dinner each evening, etc. A

Food: Wonderful. Probably some of the best food I have had on any cruise ship. A

Best Extra Restaurant: La Bistro. Had the Fire Star meal A++++++

Entertainment: Production shows were the best we have seen on any cruise ship. Bollywood was incredible. Jean Ann Ryan Productions has some of the best talent on any cruise line. A+

Itinerary: Overall a B. Port Canaveral was good. Great for the theme parks, etc. Went to Universal. Miami is fun. Did the Everglades Air Boat ride. Great Stirrup Cay. OK. Not great if your not a beach lover. Nassau. A complete waste of time in my opinion. Especially if you have been to

Bermuda in the past. It’s a less clean and less classy version of Bermuda.

Overall would I recommend this ship and cruise? By all means, YES. icon_biggrin.gif

Now, for the long and drawn out version:

We booked this cruise 4 months ago. Booked a BE Gty for $1,050 P/P. As our date approached I started researching for an up-grade. We were eventually assigned a BB cabin on deck 9. We really wanted a Mini Suite, however. 10 days prior to us leaving my TA emails me that there are Mini Suites available for $250 p/p. There were other, higher end suites also available for more. We tried to negotiate a Mini Suite fro $200p/p, but that didn’t work. By the time I got back to my TA with a “go ahead†on the Mini Suite, they were gone. He told me that they had the Penthouse and Romance Suites available for over $300+p/p. More than we wanted to spend. However, through his generosity and great customer service, we got the AD Suite for the price of the Mini Suite. Total spent on suite $1,300p/p. Our TA went above and beyond. I would highly recommend him and will be happy to give anyone his name and number. Please feel free to email me.

We arrived at the pier by 10:30am to beat the crowds. Drove from NJ, about an hour and 10minutes. The drop off area wasn’t bad yet. We dropped off our luggage, drove up the ramp, parked, and got down to the waiting area in less than 15 minutes. We waited in the waiting area until 11:30am when they let us board. By the time we left the waiting area, through security, X-rays, check-in, pictures, on board and in our cabin, total time was about 20 minutes. Very fast and efficient. We have sailed out of NYC several times and this was the most efficient of any cruise embarkation. I am sure later in the day it slowed down.

Upon arrival to our suite we found fresh flowers, a plate of snacks, a letter from the Concierge welcoming us and a letter from the Hotel Manager welcoming us. Also a bottle of champagne in the fridge. The suite (cabin 10226) was very large. As you enter there is a hallway type entrance with a large closet on the right. You enter the room and find a wet bar on you right with glasses, coffee maker, fridge, etc. On your left is a dresser (lots of storage) and a 27†TV with a DVD player and CD player within. There is a dinning area with a large 4 seat table, a sitting area with a small couch, coffee table and chair. There’s a full Queen size bed (not 2 beds pushed together). Actually, I am sure it is slightly larger than a queen. We have a queen size bed at home and this bed was a bit larger. There are drapes to close off the sleeping section from the rest of the cabin. However, we found these drapes to be a pain in the neck and always in the way. There is a small hallway off the bed area that has cabinets on the left (safes, storage, drawers, etc.) Closet on the right, bathroom door on left and large vanity/make-up area directly in front of you. My wife LOVED this area. Bathroom was the largest of any we have had. Sink with shelves and vanity in front of you, toilet in a little room on the right with a glass door, full tub/shower on the left with a glass door. In between the sitting area and dinning area is a HUGE sliding glass doors that open to a very large balcony looking over the rear of the ship. A constant view of the wake. Just magnificent. The room was spotless. The only complaint we had was a constant odor in the toilet area. Not really a dirty or sewage smell, just an odor. I had grandparents that lived in a very nice, large mobile home in PA. Their bathroom had the same odor. In addition, we have good friends who have a huge RV and their bathroom has the same odor. It must have something to do with the types of toilets, sewage system these type of facilities have. The smell was worse when we first arrived. But, once we started sailing, it lightens up a lot. But always there. The room stewards, Garry and Kim, were just wonderful.. Always there if you needed them, always had the room made-up or turned down swiftly, left little towel animals each night. However, Friday night they left much more than just a little towel animal. I don’t want to say for fear of ruining the surprise, but lets leave it that it had my wife and I laughing all night. Our butler each morning came in, set our table with tablecloth, etc and served us breakfast. We had everything from eggs and omelets, to pancakes, waffles, etc. He was always right on time and the food was always hot. Our Concierge always left little goodies for us, got us VIP tender tickets, left little notes about each port we were entering each day, took care of all restaurant reservations, excursion bookings, etc. The nicest thing was that we received VIP de-embarkation tickets. This meant we were the first ones off the ship when we returned home. A really nice perk! We were off the ship, retrieved our luggage, got the car and was out of the pier area in less than 20 minutes. It was GREAT!

The Ship: The Dawn is by far the most impressive, beautiful ship we have sailed on to date. It is HUGE. Mostly, easy to get around. However, there is just one strange spot in the rear on deck 7 that you can’t get through on. Always got confused there. You have to go up to 8, over and back down to 7. It was odd. Other than that, it was pretty easy. Took me about 1 day more to get the layout of the ship then with others. However, the ship is always spotless. They have hand sanitizers at the entrance of every restaurant, which is something more cruise ships should start doing. The public areas are well designed; the entire ship is very colorful. Bright colors, great artwork, just a very cheery, bright ship. The pool deck was roomy, promenade large, a really nice impressive ship. Not much movement at all during sea days.

Restaurants and food: We ate in their main restaurant, the Venetian, twice. Although it is a magnificent room, we found this to be our least favorite. Mostly due to much slower service than any of the other venues. Our favorite main restaurant was Impressions. Much smaller, more intimate, much better service and the same menu as the Venetian. Great artwork on the walls and beautiful views out the windows. We always ate later in the evening, about 9ish, and never waited more than 10 minutes. Most time we walked right in. Our waiter here, Michael, was the best waiter we had of the entire cruise. We ate in La Bistro our first night. By far the best meal we had the entire cruise. Well worth the extra charge. Salsa was OK, nothing great. Aqua also good. The buffet we avoided due to the crowds. We will get into that later. The food, overall, was much better than any other cruise line we have been on (Carnival and RCCL). Presentation was spectacular, taste, swiftness, etc was all top notch.

Entertainment: Production shows were great. Jean Ann Ryan Productions offers some of the best talent we have seen on any ship. “Music Of The Night†was very good. All Andrew Lloyd Weber music. They did pick some odd numbers to do. Then, skipped some of the more popular ones like from Evita. South Beach Rave was a lot of fun. Bollywood was spectacular. It was like watching the finale of Moulin Rouge. Very, VERY impressive. Thien Fu the comedy juggler was hysterical. Most bars had pianists, singers, etc. Fabio the guitarist was very good also. “Exciting, no?!†Overall, there was always music, dancing, some sort of entertainment going on all over the ship.

Cruise Director: In my opinion, Paul Baya and his assistant, Mike, were the best cruise directors we have come across. Most cruise directors, to us, are over done. Seems like they are on speed all the time. Over the top, fake smile and mostly annoying. Paul and Mike were great! Very natural, great rapport with each other, silly at times, they seemed like “frat brothers†together. The passengers and crew seem to really love these guys. I really enjoyed watching them.

Ports: Port Canaveral was good. HOT!! And HUMID!! Went to Universal Studios for the day. Crowded, but had the Express Pass. Expensive, but well worth the extra money not to have to wait in any lines. Miami was HOT and HUMID. Went on the Everglades Air Boat ride. A lot of fun. GSC the private island was OK. If you don’t enjoy laying around on a beach all day, probably best to stay on board. It is beautiful. But nothing exciting. Nassau, to us, was a waste of port time. Your there for only a few hours, the shops are VERY expensive, it is not very clean or kept up with, being bothered constantly by the locals to buy stuff, etc. It reminded us of a less clean, less classy, less kept up Bermuda. If you have been to Bermuda, you won’t like Nassau. We went to the Pirate Museum, which was enjoyable, then walked round town. To us, a far better itinerary for this cruise would be 2 days in Port Canaveral. This way you can stay at the theme parks later into the evening to enjoy fireworks, etc. Perhaps even do 2 parks. We did Universal Studios. We would have loved to have gone to Islands of Adventure as well. With 2 days at this port you could. Miami is fine for a day as is GSC. I would suggest skipping Nassau.

Negatives: OK, here is where I will get blasted from many other readers. I am sure I will be “flamed†for some of the things I am about to say. However, this is all from first hand experiences. Not my “opinion†but “actual experiences†during the cruise. The only real negative we had at all was “PEOPLEâ€. The lack of common courtesy, respect for fellow passengers, etc now a days is amazing to me. We will start with children (here we go). First, there were nearly 700 children on board. All in all, we would have never known there were this many. However, there were problems. Most can be blamed on the parents. Like the small girl running back and forth, non-stop, in front of the stage during one of the shows. She would run down one aisle, across in front of the stage and up the other aisle and back. Several times. How the performer went on without distraction was amazing to us. And her parents didn’t stop her!! What is wrong with them??!!! Many parents must feel a cruise is a perfect vacation for the family because they can let their kids go and not worry that they will get lost. The number of un-attended teenagers was amazing to me. Running around on deck (mostly during dinner hours. I guess their parents were at dinner so this was a good time to run around). We spotted several teens (14, 15, 16 year olds) that were hiding in a corner on deck. Somehow, from somewhere they got a large alcoholic drink and they were splitting it up between them in Coke cans. Ware is their parents! Running up and down stairs, sliding down the stair banisters, pushing all the buttons on the elevators, jumping in the pools and hot tubs, etc. Always at dinner time or late at night. Cruises are great family vacations. However, parents can’t leave they’re kids to wonder off on their own un-supervised. Next, why do parents bring young babies to fancy restaurants? I know the parents have to eat. However, on 2 occasions at dinner we all had to listen to crying, fussing baby’s. When the child does this PLEASE take them out of the restaurant so you don’t ruin everyone else’s meal! This is why we try and book during school, to avoid as many children as possible. Next (oh boy, here we go) obese people. Now, don’t get me wrong. We have several over-weight friends. Many do have “medical†conditions that can cause this. However, most of the ones we saw on this ship were obese because they just ate too much. My God, the amount of food these people piled on their plates at the buffet was disgusting (and amazing). One woman was so large that when she sat in the theatre, no one could sit on either side of her, she hung over into the other seats. On the Everglades tour, when you enter the boat you stepped off the dock onto the seat then stepped down into the boat. One woman stepped on the seat and it broke right through. Leaving one less seat in this boat. We went to the buffet once. Our experience here ensured that it was our last trip to the buffet. Between being stuck behind this obese man who took forever holding up the entire line to PILE ON the food and the next annoyance I will mention, we never went to the buffet again. These folks can’t walk at a proper pace, thus holding everyone up trying to walk down the halls, you can’t get around them. On the shuttle bus from the Bayside Market in Miami to the ship, I had to stand the entire trip. The driver said there were 2 seats left. One for my wife, the other for me. Well, when we got on the only seat left was a 4-seat bench. This obese woman took up 3 seats. My wife squeezed in, which annoyed this woman, but I certainly couldn’t fit. So I stood the whole trip. Now, please understand that I do have sympathy for these folks. I do. However, it is just unhealthy to eat that much and be that heavy. And, it is often uncomfortable for those around. Now, the last annoyance (this will really get me flamed), foreigners! Especially Orientals. These people are the most annoying, oblivious, pushy, rude people we dealt with on the entire cruise. I had one Oriental man behind me on the buffet line. He obviously knew nothing about “personal space†as this man leaned over me the entire time. Just to see what was coming up on the buffet. He would lean across in front of me so he could see what was coming. Even after me saying excuse me several times, he just ignore me and continued. We met some friends on the ship and all sat together at a table at GSC. When we got up to go to the buffet we left out towels, bags, shoes, books, etc on the table. When we returned a large group of Orientals took the table next to us and overflowed to our table. So, we squeezed in and sat down. Even mentioning that this table was taken. Do you think these people would even apologize, let alone get up and move? NO! During de-embarkation when they announced that all non-resident aliens please report to immigration. They had to make this announcement 5 times. Then, had to start calling names of those who wouldn’t show up. All of them being Orientals. This action holds up everyone while we all sit and wait for them. It’s just rude. Lastly, latecomers to the shows. Why, when you know the show starts at 7:45, do people show up at 8pm. Here it is, the show started, it’s dark in the theatre, the performers are trying to perform, the audience is trying to enjoy the show, and countless numbers of people just keep showing up. Talking, making noise, making those of us who got there in time get up so they can squeeze through to a seat, etc. There seems to be such a lack of common courtesy with these people. We get to the theatre a half hour before the show so I can sit on the aisle. We had one woman get all annoyed at me a half hour INTO the show because I wouldn’t move into the row into empty seats so she could sit on the aisle. There just seems to be such a lack of common courtesy anymore.

These were all miner annoyances, but still had to mention them. I know many will say, “then don’t go on a cruiseâ€. Unfortunately, you find these types of people no matter what the vacation. It’s just something you have to deal with, sadly. However, when you’re on a cruise you are stuck with these annoying people for the duration. We just did our best to avoid them. When we were at a trivia game, the mother with the little princesses that was running back and forth in front of the stage came in. We got up and left. This is how we dealt with it.

In overview: It was a terrific cruise. I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone. For those who don’t have kids, you may want to take this cruise during school time. I would also highly recommend that NCL consider their 10 and 11 day itinerary a few times during the Spring and Summer as well for all those who can’t vacation during the winter. 7 days just isn’t long enough for a cruise on this terrific ship. We hated to leave.

Any questions? I will stop by often to answer.

Thank You for your review!

Q. Was there a Captains Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party?

Q. Is there an adults only pool?

Thanks!

There really is no Captains party. There is a sail-a-way party on deck while sailing out of NYC with food, music, etc. A lot of fun. Optional formal night is on Monday where there is an opportunity to have pictures taken with the Captain. There is no adults only pool. I wish there was.

Did they have the "President's Dinner" in the main dining rooms one night? Do you know, if so, which night?

Explorer of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 12/7/02

Serenade of the Seas (Canada) 9/25/03

Majesty of the Seas (Bahamas) 2/16/04

Norwegian Dawn (Bahamas) 2/20/05

Until we sail the Dawn!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2005;2;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

One thing I would like to add to my review is about freestyle. We REALLY liked it very much. We ate whenever we wanted. Always a nice romantic dinner for 2. The only problem comes on the optional formal night. I do wish NCL would take a few of the restaurants this night and make them "dress-up" only. It is unfortunate when you and your wife are dressed in a tux and concktail dress in one of the nice venues and your sitting next to someone who decides shorts, sneakers and a tee-shirt are fine dress for a restuarant. With 10 restuarants, I see no reason why 3 or 4 can't be formal only on this night.

When I was on the Dawn in Dec (granted things may change!) you were not allowed in the dining area for dinner in shorts and snekers, so I find it very hard to think that you were seated right next to someone with shorts and sneakers, as they wouldn't allow by BF in when we were nicely dressed and he was wearing sandals. Also-I think T-Shirts are prohibited.

BRAGSTARR: We did indeed have a President's dinner, the menu was quite good, I remember it being in the 3 main dining areas toward the end of the week, Friday or Saturday.

NCL Dawn - AGAIN!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;09;19;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Kell4321: I just returned from the Dawn yesterday. Trust me when I say that there were those not properly dressed at dinner. Especially on the formal night which was Monday Evening. Perhaps NCL has lightend up on this. There is indeed signs on the doors about proper attire. I do wish they would enforce it, though.

There is a president's dinner on Friday which features items the chef prepared for various presidents in the White House. It was not a formal evening nor was the Captain involved.

Logcabin:

Thank you for the great review - it was very informative.

I am planning a cruise on the Dawn in February and have been on Celebrity, RCI and Carnival.

Just curious of the other cruise ships you were on since you gave the Dawn such high marks.

My favorite so far was Celebrity's Mellenium, but I am looking forward to the convenience of leaving from NYC since I live on Long Island. I heard the Dawn is a great ship and I have noted your cabin (10226) as my choice when I book.

Thanks again.

Don

Sitmar: Fairsea, Fairwind, Fairsky (2)

Premier: Sea Breeze

RCI: Nordic Empress, Sovereign of the Seas (2)

Disney: Magic

Carnival: Imagination, Destiny, Victory

Celebrity: Millenium, Galaxy

The dress code violations surprise me. We've been on three such cruises with NCL, 2 on the Dawn, and have seen very little non compliance. Once on the Star, we saw a gentleman dressed neatly in jeans, so on our last night, we tried nice shorts, golf shirt, etc., but had to change while the ladies were seated. On our 1st Dawn cruise, we had a bus problem on one of the excursions, and returned late, just prior to departure. Many on the bus went directly to Venetian to see if we could still eat, and they did stay open late to accommodate us. The women were allowed to be seated with shorts, but not the men. On our April Dawn cruise, my 7 year old grandson had on some nice shorts one night at Le Bistro, and one of the waitresses asked his mom to seat him such that others could not see he was wearing shorts.

The bottom line is that NCL does appear to enforce the dress code, so it is surprising to me that shorts and a tee shirt would be tolerated.

Tom/Connecticut

Thank you for the information about the Presidents' Dinner--trying to figure out which nights to attempt to get specialty reservations and which to eat in the main dining room. I hear the Presidents' DInner is a highlight and don't want to miss that in the main dining room.

Hearing it is on Friday conflicts with the information I have been gathering--Monday is optional formal night, Thursday is Caribbean night, Friday is lobster night and Saturday is Italian night. So, I am confused! Anyone have any Daily Newsletters or menus to straighten this all out?

Thanks, Robin

Explorer of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 12/7/02

Serenade of the Seas (Canada) 9/25/03

Majesty of the Seas (Bahamas) 2/16/04

Norwegian Dawn (Bahamas) 2/20/05

Until we sail the Dawn!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2005;2;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Logcabin,

I am interested in finding out who your TA is. Can you email me?

Thanks for the review! I was on the Dawn a month ago and can't wait to go back. Reading other people's reviews helps pass the time till I can go again!

Allyson

ally10169@yahoo.com

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;05;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till our 10th annivesary cruise without the kids!

Hi, I was on the Dawn 6/6. Log Cabin I also loved the ship and thought everything from food to Paul and Mike were fabulouse..

I must say that yes the dress code was deffinalty a bit laxed. We saw men in baseball hats while eating dinner and not once were they asked to remove their hats. Their were people dressed very down on captains night. But what are we gonna go.

As far as kids go there were like 460 on our week and I swear you would have thought there were 2. We never saw kids out of hand or crying babies or anything like that..Now I must say we left our 3 kids home (11yr-16rs) sooo maybe I blocked my brain to not recognize any thing that had to do with kids..LOL

As far as the presidents dinners I think it was tues weds or thurs. I know that doesnt help but I know we were at the aqua when it was that night and sun, mon and fri we ate at venetians and one other day we ate at cagneys so it has to be one of those 3.

Linda

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;6;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until First Cruise

Robin, I checked the Freestyle Dailiesfor both weeks I was on the Dawn this spring, and the President's dinner was on Wednesday night. You've got the rest of it right. Tuesday night was simply called "Chef's Dinner" and I can't remember what was on the menu.

Of course, who can say if the schedule will be the same when you cruise. Menus are posted early in the day, so you can always check before making your dinner plans. Caribbean night didn't seem to be popular, while Italian night and lobster night were very popular.

While I appreciate the depth of the information you have given us, and that you took the time to share with us so many interesting and important things anyone considering this cruise would want to know, I am surprised that till now no one has mentioned your blatant prejudice statements. You said you would back your opinions up with actual experiences, and generally you did do that. But, when we start to put a label in front of a fact, it becomes a biased statement. I feel that your comments about "the Asians" and the "obese" took away from your otherwise comprehensive review and made me question your credibility. When we cloak a prejudice statement labeling a certain ethnic group, religion, race, or groups appearance as being responsible for something we find distasteful, that isn't just sharing an opinion, it's sharing a bias. A review does not need to say that the group of people who took over a table was of a certain ethnic persuasion. They could have been purple people with polka dots, their color doesn't matter because anyone is capable of being rude. And it is just as plausible that an older man with a walker may have held up the line at the buffet and pissed someone off, but I doubt anyone would have criticized all old people in a review. When we find ourselves using statements such as "these folks" or "we have friends that are..." it should be a clue that we are about to share a biased opinion we probably learned long ago from our families but shouldn't really want to perpetuate and teach the next generations about.

gizfish: While I respect your opinion and certianly did not mean to offend anyone, I too have the right to express my observations. I am not a prejudice person. However, these were extremally annoying situations. I have listed only a few of my experiences during the cruise with these few "groups". However, there were several other observations I made during this cruise involving the same "groups" of people I did not go into. My review was to be complete and informative. Part of my cruise was the situations and observations of these "groups" of passengers. I feel it is only right to mention this as it was an annoying part of my cruise. It would have been remiss of me NOT to mention these things. I believe the fact that no one else has mentioned being offended shows that no one else found my statements prejudice or offensive. But rather, simply stating facts and observations. My statments about children and their parents could also be found offensive by some. However, you failed to mention that. It would not have been "truthful" of me to say "a group of people did this...." or "a group of people did that..." when it wasn't just a group of people. It was a certian ethinic group that were repeatedly annoying, rude and oblevious to fellow passengers. My comments about the few obese passengers was also from experience. I feel very badly for obese people. I, too, constantly fight to keep my weight in order. I am about 40 pounds overweight and is a constant battle to keep my weight down. I have 2 very good friends who suffered from obesity. They have both undergone GBS to help remedy the situation. However, it is very sad when you encounter these people and their weight problem negatively effects others. Especially when you observe the amounts of food these passengers consume during one sitting. My hope is that these individuals would seek help for their problem before it effects their health and well beeing. It is my job (and right) as a reviewer to mention these situations. My apologies to you or anyone else I may have offended. However, I do not regret nor will I avoid in the future mentioning significant parts of our cruise experience just for fear of offending a small group of readers.

[This message was edited by logcabin on 06-22-04 at 07:38 AM.]

Excellent review. I find absolutely no fault with your telling it like it is. I especially agree with your comments regarding children on board (we only sail when school in session) and the buffets (we rarely eat there) and alien debarkation delays.

We sailed on Dawn in January and they had the same production shows you described. We are booked on Dawn again in late November and hope they will have new productions by then.

Thank you for an honest review and answering our inquiries.

norwegian dawn june 13th

the ship is beautiful and spotless..the cabin (minisuite )was attractive and functional..the service was excellent.. but i would NEVER repeat on this ship.why? i will be frank ...and possibly offend, but feel i must tell it as i saw it

the people were definitely walmart... tank tops, tattoos

, beers in elevators ,, rude, and discourteous.

if you were from west of pa.. you were from the moon!..( we are from nv)

the size of the passengers was offensive to me... horrendous, and their eating habits unreal.

i tried to use the indoor pool and was overwhelmed by about ten japanese middle aged adults of both sexes who jumped in screaming and shouting and made it impossible to stay.

the food was not good. "le bistro "was ok but not great. alsoi did not enjoy having dinner in the vennetian room with 3 screaming infants in the booths next to me.

i realize this is an inexpensive ship.. ( we had taken several grandchildren and the prices were good.). BUT.. i would NEVER sail this ship again... it is a shame .. as it is a really lovely one .... i wish they would raise the prices a bit.. and make it a little more upscale.. and restict at least one dining area to 12 years and above..

i know many people will object to my statements,.. but they are the truth as i see it..

I find it totally amazing that so many people posted replies to logcabin and did not mention the ignorance of the term "orientals" which is politically incorrect. The ethnic group is referred to as "Asians", oriental is food!!!

Finding fault with a entire ethnic group of people for the rudeness of some is so biased, pig headed and narrrow minded. I can understand the annoyance with parents..children should be monitored and not allowed to run all over the ship. Furthermore, this is not, NOT, a perfect world. People are ignorant, fat and old. Get over it. What kind of mind do you have to find so much fault. I wonder what other passengers thought of you. Are you fat, ugly, bald..think about it.

I applaud those who were offended by your all too public observations. It ruined a very well written review which described the Dawn in wonderful detail. I would not miss the chance to sail on her,,,UNLESS YOU WERE ON BOARD.

thank you Eileen

I could not aggree more. I wouldn't want to be in the same ocean let alone on the same ship as LogCabin. These boards are no place for vioicing ones prejudices and biggoted remarks.

I enjoy reading long reviews. There's always something new to be said even if your've read a hundred reviews of the same ship. Thank you for all the detail and the time you spend sharing your thoughts. ;)

That being said, I am a believer that people can be "honest to a fault". A few comments about Orientals and Obese people seemed rather unnecessary to state in an otherwise great review. Some things are better left unsaid. :(

As an Asian-American (yes, Asian, not Oriental), I was deeply disappointed by the gross characterizations in an otherwise splendid review. How can anyone just classify an entire race by the actions of a few? Or because they happen to be overweight. How can anyone deem someone is pushy or overweight and demonize whole populations?

It is sad that someone could just paint such a broad brush and add to the divisiveness and obsession on looking slim. We can not all be weight and height appropriate. America is a diverse nations, that is what makes us great. Who wants to live or even vacation with everyone looking the same? I think that's what Germany tried to do in the 1930's.

Overall, I thought the review was very detailed and informative about the ship, food and excursions. Too bad it has evolved into this.

In all honesty, the thing that got this topic hot has been taken as far as necessary. We have had views from both sides. Can we put it to rest? In the interest and good of the reviews on this board, I would hate to see this be taken to the limit. The positive side of the review was indeed, informative, delightful and complete on its own. We are sailing on the Dawn in November on a 13 day cruise and looking forward to it big time. Thank you.

In all honesty, the thing that got this topic hot has been taken as far as necessary. We have had views from both sides. Can we put it to rest? In the interest and good of the reviews on this board, I would hate to see this be taken to the limit.

I dont want to make this a debate...but

if I might add that as long as there is no bashing and name calling etc, then I dont' think there is a limit as to how far a thread may be taken. Those of us who have just read this review also have our opinions and the right to post them. That's what we do here. I see no reason to limit our views on a post because you think we've heard enough on the subject. No one is forcing anyone to read this topic. :rolleyes:

My apologies for not apparently being "politically correct". Who knew it's supposed to be "asians". Growing up with my friends I was white, Elijah was black, Kim was Japanese, Jesse an indian and so on. And none of us were offended by this. And still aren't. It's the way it is. A high school here in NJ had a football team called the "Redskins". It was like this for 40 years. But they had to change their name due to "politcal correctness". "political correctness" can go too far! I did not call these folks any type of "slang" names, etc. They were Oriental. Frankly, I too am overwieght by 40 pounds. I, by far do not believe in or am all caught up in the "skinny or slim" thing that so many covet. Yes, there were old people on the cruise. Yes, we did get caught behind them in the halls and couldn't get past their walkers, had to wait for them to enter the tenders, climb the stairs in the theatre, etc. This did not bother me at all. Why? Because they can't help it. You can't stop the aging process and frankly, I applaud them for still going out and travelling. However, the "groups" of people I mentioned CAN help it. They choose not to. The "asians" were rude, obnoxious and completely oblivious to the fact that anyone else was around them. These were adults and they SHOULD KNOW BETTER!. One of the above posters mentions another situation in the pool. I don't see anyone blasting them. This is a free country. Being so one can express their views and opinions on things. That's what makes this country so great. As long as there are no obsenities, "slag" titles for people, etc. I don't see why ANYONE on this forum cannot express their truthful, complete, un-edited review. Look, I obviously can't spell. So, I guess that makes me stupid. Or is the politically correct term "stuipid American" or "Stupid Caucassion American". This we will have to debate.

PS- I asked one of our wonderful waiters what nationality he was. He said "I am Philapino". Is that politically correct? Would he not be Asian?