Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suzi4

Surprise now or day before?

Hello everyone,

I would be grateful for any input / thoughts / advice / recommendations that any of you may have for me. The good, the bad and ugly are all welcome.

I am planning a trip to New York with my niece, the trip less than a month away. This NYC trip is a belated birthday gift. While planning NYC I started thinking about cruise ships that depart from NYC and how convenient it would be to get on a ship, I mean we are already there, right? So in addition to NYC, I booked the Veendam to Bermuda! I’m so excited!!

I thought this would be a huge surprise for my niece! I have kept this to myself in fear someone would slip and tell her, but the closer it gets the more concerned I become. My plan is the day before we would board the ship give her a birthday card and with a gift, the gift is a vintage souvenir bracelet from Bermuda. In the card have the travel documents.

I’ve thought about the “what if” questions, like how would I feel about not knowing until the day before? I have mixed feelings. For one, I would want pack accordingly. Second, I would like to plan my trip, meaning what I would want to see and do. Also, I love the excitement / anticipation of knowing (silly maybe?)

Have any of you surprised someone with a cruise? If so how did you do it? How many days did you tell them in advance?

Lastly, do you all think my plan is a good idea?

Little information about my niece, she loves cruising and this will be her 3 HAL cruise. She is in her 20’s and loves to travel.

Thanks so much

I would want time to enjoy the anticipation...that's what makes vacations so special! Especially, at her age, she'll WANT to prepare....waxing, tanning, hair, nails...this is NOT something to "spring" on anyone except a very young child!!!! And, the shopping.....TELL her a bit in advance, so she can prepare and enjoy!!!!

I agree that it would be best to tell her earlier rather than later. IMO a large percentage of the cruise is getting ready for it.

Interesting question. :)

Your plans have already been made but my first concerns are:

• are you sure your niece would be interested on going on a cruise?
  • may she have planned her trip all around getting to see as much of New York as possible?

Since packing for a cruise is a bit different from packing for New York City visit, I would lean towards telling her before you head out to New York.

You really should tell her in advance. Or, be prepared to buy her lots of new clothes in Hamilton. :D LOL

Tell her you are going on a cruise, but don't tell her where, just an idea. Also, does she have a passport or are you just going to go with the DL and birth certificate?

What if her passport or birth certificate are kept in a safe deposit box?

I'm not sure what you need for Bermuda, but I'd assume some official document. Give her notice.

Hugh in Dallas

Give her notice! At that age, she'll want plenty of time to decide what to take, to shop, pack, re-pack :D ...and indeed you'll need to be sure she has proper documents with her -- if not a passport, then at least picture ID's.

And as someone said, packing for NYC would be quite different than packing for Bermuda...

Interesting question. :)

Your plans have already been made but my first concerns are:

• are you sure your niece would be interested on going on a cruise?
  • may she have planned her trip all around getting to see as much of New York as possible?

Since packing for a cruise is a bit different from packing for New York City visit, I would lean towards telling her before you head out to New York.

OK, I should have read the OP more carefully. ;)

I am assuming she loved the first 3 cruises and assuming that she has already planned to be away for the entire time. I agree with all previous posters, she needs some anticipation time and some time to plan her wardrobe. This will also give the two of you more time to bond before the trip on issues like what to see and what to wear.

Since she is already looking forward to NYC, the cruise will be a delightful surprise any time you wish to announce it.

Please take this in the very best way as I know you have the very best of intentions but were it me,

I WOULD HATE THAT. I would never like someone planning a week of my life, committing to do something so large without consulting me, making such a big decision and putting me between a rock and a hard place with no way out of it.

I know you mean really, really well but many of us do not like that kind of surprise and you may not know her feelings about being 'told' that is what she going to do, like it or not.

Sorry to be so brutally blunt but......... you asked.

I hope she's delighted and it all goes swimmingly.

Let us know, please.

Here's another vote for telling her asap. If it happened to me, the first thing I'd say is "I haven't packed the right clothes for a cruise!"

Unless you can change the length of the trip, you will have less time in NYC than planned for. Does she have a "wish list" for NYC? If so you're going to have to work out which city things you will do and which ones you'll have to skip.

I hope she loves the idea and you have a great time. (If she doesn't like the vintage Bermuda bracelet, i'll take it! :D)

I would want to know before with some time to plan what to pack. If she loves cruising she will probably be very excited, but I would still vote to tell her now.

Hi everyone!

Looks like everyone agrees that I should tell her now and I must admit I have been leaning towards that more and more. It’s been so HARD keeping this information to myself. I have almost slipped to her at least two times now.

The plan is 6 days NYC, she is out of school now so I don’t have to worry adding 7 day cruise & time off. Also, I have her passport, we are going to Alaska in July and I needed it for cruise documents.

I do agree half the fun is planning it. Now I need to plan on telling her soon. I was really feeling it in my gut that I should tell her sooner than later.

Thanks so much for helping me think this out! I haven’t told a soul in fear she would find out before I could tell her. Maybe I’ll take her to dinner this week and give her the news.

One thing for sure I will be telling her soon!

Again, thank you!

Please take this in the very best way as I know you have the very best of intentions but were it me,

I WOULD HATE THAT. I would never like someone planning a week of my life, committing to do something so large without consulting me, making such a big decision and putting me between a rock and a hard place with no way out of it.

Well, with all due respect, you're also not in your 20's...presumably. I would venture a guess that most 20 something year olds are a little freer and more flexible than you are. And, I would also venture a guess that this girl's aunt probably knows her well enough to know whether or not she will want to go.

Well, with all due respect, you're also not in your 20's...presumably. I would venture a guess that most 20 something year olds are a little freer and more flexible than you are. And, I would also venture a guess that this girl's aunt probably knows her well enough to know whether or not she will want to go.

You're right..... it's been a long time since I was 20 :D but I have hated surprises all my life. I have never handled surprises well and all who know me well, know that is no gift to me to 'spring' something on me. My best friend got wind some family was planning a milestone surprise birthday for me and knew I would not be happy if I did not know in advance. Because she wanted me to be able to enjoy the party, she told me in advance. I was so grateful to her. :o

I agree with the consensus....due to all the packing and preparation being so different, plus needing to accomodate 2 climates and types of activities. Unless you are planning to buy her everything she needs for a cruise, tell her.

But mostly because -With less than a month away - what if her passport is close to/or has expired? :eek: or if using a birth certificate, she has to get it from a safe deposit box or something?

Definitely do the surprise now....and be sure someone video's it :D

BTW - I'm sure you will be awarded the 'best aunt ever' award upon presentation of the tickets. :p

Hi everyone!

Looks like everyone agrees that I should tell her now and I must admit I have been leaning towards that more and more. It’s been so HARD keeping this information to myself. I have almost slipped to her at least two times now.

The plan is 6 days NYC, she is out of school now so I don’t have to worry adding 7 day cruise & time off. Also, I have her passport, we are going to Alaska in July and I needed it for cruise documents.

I do agree half the fun is planning it. Now I need to plan on telling her soon. I was really feeling it in my gut that I should tell her sooner than later.

Thanks so much for helping me think this out! I haven’t told a soul in fear she would find out before I could tell her. Maybe I’ll take her to dinner this week and give her the news.

One thing for sure I will be telling her soon!

Again, thank you!

She is one lucky little lady to have an Aunt as kind and generous as you are!! Have a fantastic cruise!

Another reason for telling her in advance is that she may have to cancel or postpone other plans for that week.

Another reason for telling her in advance is that she may have to cancel or postpone other plans for that week.

Good advice! The niece may have a surprise for her DA as well, like tickets to see Book of Mormon. :)

I just wanted to say what a lucky young lady she is. What a nice gift. Like the rest - I think you should find a special time and share the surprise with her early. Have a wonderful cruise with her :D

I would at least give her a week before the trip starts to NY to know soething will be happening on your trip to NY...I am in my twenties but I am not female...As long as I could make sure I had my travel documents and some JIC clothes, and the finances in order I'd be ok with an early suprise but not a day before...

What an amazing surprise .... like many of the others, I would tell her now. Part of the fun is planning and also she may have a different packing perspective totally depending on the destination.

Have a wonderful time.

What a wonderfu gift. I'm sure she'll love Bermuda, but you mention in your second post that this cruise is in addition to the 6 days in NYC. I would be worried that she had already made plans during that week after getting home from NY, so I sure would tell her now. A surprise party is fun; a surprise additional week away may take some schedule planning on her part.