Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pc2425

Conquest Review, April 24th

I know how much I loved reading everyone's reviews, so I thought I would post one. I'll try to keep it short.

There were four of us on this cruise. Myself, DH, Sister and BIL. We drove from St. Louis to New Orleans on Saturday. Jazz Fest was going on so we stayed at the Wingate Inn near the airport. Actually, it is right on the runway! All the closer hotels were either booked or VERY expensive.

EMBARKATION

We reserved parking with Machu Picchu and I highly recommend them. We drove to their facility Sunday morning. The fee is $79 and this must be paid in cash. They loaded our luggage in their van and drove us to the terminal. There was a really long line of traffic waiting to drop people off, but they just drove around it and we were at the terminal in no time. We arrived around 11:30. We checked in and headed for the yellow chairs. After pictures we were on the ship by about 12:30. We headed to our cabins to drop off our carry on luggage and then went to lunch.

SHOWS

The comedians were all pretty good. We thought Phat Kat was really funny. The comedian/ventriloquist was pretty good. Deja (female magician) was not so great, in our opinion. In fact, we left about halfway through. The Las Vegas style shows were good. The second one, Point and Click, was a little long, I thought.

FOOD

We ate in the dining room every night but one. The food was good for the most part. Service was great. Love the sun dried tomato bread!!! Keep in mind that you can always order chicken breast or filet mignon if there isn't anything on the menu that you want. We usually ate breakfast and lunch at the Lido buffet. The Reuben sandwiches from the deli were really good, as well as the turkey sandwiches. Fish and chips at Sur Mer was good. None of us like sushi, so I can't comment on that. We also did not try PC Wok's.

JAMAICA

We booked two excursions for Jamaica. We did the Coral Sea Sub in the morning. This was ok. Be prepared - they have t-shirts, jewelry, and hair braiding on the sub that they try to sell you. Not real high pressure, though. We went back to the ship after this excursion and ate lunch. In the afternoon we went on the Canopy tour. It had started raining while we were eating lunch. We weren't sure if they still did this tour in the rain, but they do. This was AWSOME! The best thing we have ever done. I would definitely do it again if we go back. We had booked the last tour and we were late getting back. The ship was supposed to leave at 5:30, but we didn't get back until around 5:40. No problem though because there were almost 200 people that were stranded on the other side of the island because roads were washed out. We didn't end up leaving Jamaica until 12:15. I felt they should have kept us better informed about what was going on. They made an announcement around 6:00 that we were waiting for people to return and we would be leaving in 30 minutes. We didn't hear anything else until around 8:00-8:30 and then it was the same thing...we'll be leaving in 30 minutes. We didn't leave until 12:15 with no further information.

GRAND CAYMAN

With the late departure from Jamaica, we were late getting into Grand Cayman. We had a tour booked with Nativeway that was supposed to leave at 9:30, so of course we didn't make this. When we found out that we were not going to make the Nativeway tour, we decided to book an Island Tour through the ship. All of the stingray tours were already booked. We finally arrived around 10:30 and it started raining just as we were about to tender over. It rained for a couple of hours. Not a big deal. We went to the Tortuga Rum Factory (really just a gift shop), the Turtle Farm and Hell. The driver told us some facts about Grand Cayman during the drive. It was a pretty good tour.

COZUMEL

We booked the Royal Dolphin Swim directly through Dolphin Discovery website for DH and BIL. They were scheduled for 3:00 so we went shopping at the pier and took our purchases back to the ship. In most of the shops, you can barter with them and don't take their first offer. I was looking at a hand painted decanter that started out at $60. By the time we left the store he was yelling down the street after us "$20!" After shopping, we got a taxi and headed to Chankanaab. We had lunch at the restaurant at the park. After lunch they snorkeled. DH said this was the best snorkelling he had done. Lots of big fish and coral. The Royal Dolphin Swim was great. They really enjoyed it. They offer a video of the experience for $50. They also take lots of pictures. We didn't get to see the pictures they took because it was going to be 20 minutes and we had to get back to the ship. I wouldn't recommend booking this for 3:00. It makes it too rushed getting back to the ship. After the experience in Jamaica we weren't taking any chances, since this was not booked through the ship.

All in all we had a great time. Loved the ship. Service was great. The cruise director is Todd Wittmer. He is pretty good. Not as corny as some we have had. If you are a cold natured person at all, be sure to take a sweater or jacket. They keep this ship very cold. The dining room, show lounge, actually all public areas are COLD. I have read about people having a hard time getting a deck chair, but we did not experience this at all. We were always able to find chairs when we wanted them. Can't wait to start planning the next one!!!

I will be happy to answer any questions.

I forgot to mention debarkation. They are doing a new method of debarking. After VIP's, early flights and anyone needing assistance, everyone is free to go. We were off the ship by 9:45. I thought this was really going to be a mess, but we thought it was better than waiting for your color to be called. After we got our luggage we called Machu Picchu and they were there in about 10 minutes to pick us up. We were in our car and headed home by 10:15.

Filet Mignon, in the regular dinning room? Not when I was there! We had great filet in the Pointe.

I just booked the Canopy Tour for my June cruise! Any tips? My husband and teen boys are EXCITED!!!!! I'm chicken, but am going to do it anyway!:eek: :)

PS....what kind of shoes did people wear on the tour. I really don't want to pack another pair of shoes (some people have suggested old tennis shoes in case it rains). Do you think water shoes would work?

cali-croozer,

Don't be nervous. It really is great! I was a little scared, but the guides are so great that they make it easy. I would recommend tennis shoes. Unfortunately, my sister and I didn't pack any because we didn't know we were going to do this until we got on the ship. The only thing we could find was water shoes in the gift shop. They worked ok. The only bad thing was walking from one zipline to the next, there are rocks and stuff and the water shoes don't have a very hard bottom.

Yes the Filet Mignon was in the regular dining room. One night there was nothing on the menu that I liked. I told my waiter and he started listing off things that I could have. Chicken breast, Filet Mignon, pizza, sandwich. Anyway, my husband got the Filet and I got the chicken breast. both were excellent.

thanks for the review - I love that ship. Wish I would have known about the filet..I thought they only had strip steak available. A memebr of our party did have filet at the POINT and said it was the best ever along with the porterhouse steaks...yummy. Someday we will sail this ship again......

Sorry about GC :( - I did love that port

I am getting way tooooo excited by reading all these reviews!! I just found out today that my shore excursions are all up--at least most of them, including the ones that we're really interested in!! it's getting closer for sure!!! Thanks for the great review!! We're planning on Croydon Plantation in Jamaica and hubby want to do a beginners SCUBA probably in Cozumel and I want to do the Atlantis submarine nothing much else probably??