PAE

No More NCL

Just got back from a 9 day cruise on Spirit.

We have been on 34 cruises so far and 9 on NCL.

This will be our last on NCL.

I can't believe they use thier security machine in port to see if passagers have a bottle of wine or something else to drink ( In their checked in bags).I know it is that way at ports of call but at the pier. Then don't warn you ahead of time or tell you where your bag is. I thought the machines were for bombs ,guns ,ect.

They are using security to help them make more money. Which is cool but let the TA and passagers know.

Also you can't even get oatmeal at breakfast now and OJ is $1.50 per glass after breakfast.

So good bye to NCL and everyone should be complaining before all the cruislines do this.

Sorry to hear you won't be cruising with NCL again. Best part of cruising is that there are tons of lines out there for everyone. :D

but, they're not using the xray machine to check just for wine, etc. they are checking for bombs, etc..but if they see a bottle of alcohol in the bag, they confiscate it until the end of the cruise. I see no problem in that..except the fact it'd be nice to take alcohol on board to save some money!

it just so happens that people in line might see bottle after bottle of alcohol coming out of bags because people try to sneak it on board. frankly, i'd much rather see that coming out of bags then people being repeatedly stopped for trying to smuggle weapons on board.

Again, sorry for your bad experience but I hope you enjoy your future cruises! :D

I can't believe they use thier security machine in port to see if passagers have a bottle of wine or something else to drink ( In their checked in bags)... Then don't warn you ahead of time or tell you where your bag is.

The liquor policy is made very clear on their web site and in the passenger contract. This is common practice with nearly all cruise lines, as far as I can tell. From the NCL web site:

"What can't I bring onboard?

Passenger is not allowed to bring onboard the vessel without the previous written permission of the Carrier any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal."

Here's what Celebrity says:

"What is Celebrity's liquor and alcohol policy?

No alcoholic beverages may be purchased ashore for consumption onboard.

Onboard purchases from the gift shop of any bottle of liquor will be held until the last night of the cruise when it will be delivered to the stateroom."

If you object to this policy, you may have to stop cruising and take bus tours.

Weren't we all first time posters at some point? :rolleyes:

it just so happens that people in line might see bottle after bottle of alcohol coming out of bags because people try to sneak it on board. frankly, i'd much rather see that coming out of bags then people being repeatedly stopped for trying to smuggle weapons on board.

:D

I totally agree. In this day and age security has become more advanced...unfortunately it has its side effects (i.e. no more bringing on bottles).

On the other hand, it has forced us to become much more "crafty" at smuggling on the alcohol. :rolleyes: Almost a challenge if you ask me.

Anywho, I just rec'd my NCL docs and it clearly states NO ALCOHOL is allowed to be brought on board.

Yes but the best time for that is BEFORE we cruise. Had the OP had the time to stop in here before the cruise none of these "major" problems would have been a surprise.

Everyone (right or wrong) has a hard time trusting the info when a new name appears after a cruise to complain.

If the lack of oatmeal, the price of OJ, and the fact the OP got caught violating the contract were the worse parts of the cruise sounds like a great cruise to me :rolleyes:

In this day and age of so much cruelty going on, I personally would applaud NCL, or any other cruise line for screening luggage and carry ons. I would tend to believe this is for security purposes. On the other hand, if it is, as you say, a way for the cruise line to make more money - so be it. I would suspect that is why they implemented a policy in the first place that liquor was not to be brought onboard. On page 104 of the Travel Brochure which we received from NCL, it states (In bold letters): "NOTE: Bottles of liquor you purchase on board or ashore will be held in a secure area and delivered to your stateroom at the conclusion of the cruise." So, why take it along in the first place..... Just for the ride?? :confused:

On the other hand, it has forced us to become much more "crafty" at smuggling on the alcohol. :rolleyes: Almost a challenge if you ask me.

first one to get a keg on board wins! I'll let you know after I get back how I fared.

If anyone sees me sitting on top of a large barrell that resembles a keg...back me up and tell security that it's clearly a nite stand for the room! :p

You can alway take a oj glass from the breakfast buffet and put it in your cabin refridge for later on. Lots of parents do that to have for thier little ones later on in the day. I always got oatmeal on the Dawn in the dining room or breakfast buffet. I can live without oatmeal for a few days if its not around. There is so many other foods to have! To me, this is silly compaining. I am glad they check carry on bags for our safety. NCL is a cruise line I always want to sail!

i gotta agree with those on here who say this is such silly complaining. I am SO SICK of reading posts on here from people who complain about things that are just ridiculous. Once you step foot on a cruise, the world doesn't stop and everything becomes perfect. There will be things that go wrong but with things like this, go with the flow.

Like today, one of the secretaries in the school of business at my college lost a form I had submitted 4 weeks ago..she was all upset and kept apologizing. So what..I have to wait another 3 days for what I needed since I had to fill out another form. Not a problem..life is all about rolling with the punches...adapt to what you are dealt with.

If on my cruise in a few weeks I don't get OJ or oatmeal and I"m stuck in line because some idiot didn't read his ticket about alcohol..I"d be more than happy because I'd be ON A CRUISE!

first one to get a keg on board wins! I'll let you know after I get back how I fared.

If anyone sees me sitting on top of a large barrell that resembles a keg...back me up and tell security that it's clearly a nite stand for the room! :p

Thats simple - first port I arrange for a charter fishing boat to bring one along side the ship. I sit on my balcony with my Popeel pocket fisherman loaded with 100 lb test. Drop a line bring onboard the keg.

The whole process cost less then $1000 but I don't have to pay $18 for a bucket of beer.

Sure enough, in fact after they changed systems and wiped out about 1000 posts of mine, I was a first time poster twice.

Looks to me as if the OP caught bring booze on board and for that he is changing lines. There are reasons to get angry with any of the lines, but getting caught violating their rules shouldn't be one of them.

-Monte

I'm sure glad I'd rather spend my hard earned money on toys or vacations rather than pissing it away drinking:D

Don't get me wrong, if someone wants to drink that is up to them but I found after my younger years I really enjoyed being able to remember the fun I had.

Search my bags... strip me neked... I don't care. Just let me on the ship.

Yeah, but when you read the first part (or even title) on a post like this and you say to yourself "I bet this is a first time poster" -- and you find out you're right -- it makes it hard to really take it seriously. No offense intended if it is legit, but sadly, it's the way of the web.

New to NCL, Is the original poster giving me a skewed impression??? What beverages ARE provided all day for free????

Kudos to ANY cruise line that provides enough security to keep us safe and if a few bottles of liquor disappear in the process - so be it.

HMMMM...smuggling a whole keg on board...tempting and interesting. There has to be a way:D without spending $1000 (although I must say Shoreguy I like your idea). Maybe I could wrap it up in a blanket and pretend it is my oversized new born. Now the tap may be a different story hard to cover up that one.:rolleyes:

HMMMM...smuggling a whole keg on board...tempting and interesting. There has to be a way:D without spending $1000 (although I must say Shoreguy I like your idea). Maybe I could wrap it up in a blanket and pretend it is my oversized new born. Now the tap may be a different story hard to cover up that one.:rolleyes:

One other hidden expense you have to book at least a mini suite. You need to have the tub to fill with ice for the keg. A full suite would be better with a seperate tub. That morning shower knee deep in ice is a real eye opener. :eek:

Just put the taps in your checked bag since they only look for bottles ;)

Cost of Keg - $70

Cost of boat and upgrades - $3000

Getting a keg onboard - priceless :D

Just to add more fuel to the fire...I don't even believe the OP was even on the Spirit for the 9 day. I was on the 4/15 sailing, and I saw numerous signs stating that all alcohol brought aboard would be held until the morning of debarkation. These signs were also posted when you were leaving at each port.

As to the oatmeal, it was served in Raffles every breakfast. I know because I ate it every day!

Finally, I have never been on a cruise where OJ was offered from free all day. (Granted I've only been on two lines.)

Does NCL allow you to purchase bar setups for the room?

Yes - up to two weeks in advance.

Bar service 1-866-625-1159

MasterCard/Visa/AMEX/Discover

Just to add more fuel to the fire...I don't even believe the OP was even on the Spirit for the 9 day. I was on the 4/15 sailing, and I saw numerous signs stating that all alcohol brought aboard would be held until the morning of debarkation. These signs were also posted when you were leaving at each port.

As to the oatmeal, it was served in Raffles every breakfast. I know because I ate it every day!

Finally, I have never been on a cruise where OJ was offered from free all day. (Granted I've only been on two lines.)

On the other side may very well have been onboard. First post was in March looking for others on the 4/15 cruise, registered in July 2001.

The posters that I worry about are those that register and make their first post (cruise from hell) the same day.

Hi Palmtre2: The only exclusions I see in the brochure are alcohol and soft drinks. So, I would say that most other options (perhaps - other than specialty drinks, such as lattes, etc.) are free drinks. I too am new to these boards, and enjoying the chatter. There is a world of information here, and then another world of pure nonsense. Enjoy it all with a grain of salt attitude. Always remember that most responses are personal opinion, and not necessarily "truth". Just opinions; and how varied they are!!! Welcome aboard! :)

Guest nhrich

I guess the OP won't be sailing many other lines either. NCL is not the only line confiscating liquor in port.

I suspect the OP lost a bottle of vodka at a port. That would explain the complaints about confiscating alcohol and the price of OJ. ;)

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

Shoreguy and KarlaC,

You guys are riots! You had me laughing so hard.

I was wondering if I don't want to participate in the poolside BBQ and demand a refund for that food I didn't eat, can I bring along my Ron Popeil "Set it and forget it" Rotisserie and the keg and hold my own "Deck 4 medical center side bbq?".

I guess we got lucky. Our 'refreshments' got through security in our checked bags. If they didn't we'd just bring it back home afterward. Nothing wrong with trying. We still had a very hefty bill even after our shipboard credits. I did hear of some people on our sailing that weren't so lucky. The capuccinos were free in the dining rooms on the Dawn. We even got them to go one night (Trattoria) after dinner.

:D :) I was feeling a bit "blue" today, and then I read your posting, you ALL ARE A RIOT!!! I don't even drink but just the thought of you all having a "kegger" party with your own Bar-B-Q, "secretly" somewhere on the Dawn is just TOTALLY hysterical!!!!.... You all are VERY, VERY, VERY Funny people, KEEP IT COMING!!!!:D

Suesan

Just got back from a 9 day cruise on Spirit.

Well, the last 9-day returned on 4/24... Where have you been?:confused:

Shoreguy and KarlaC,

You guys are riots! You had me laughing so hard.

I was wondering if I don't want to participate in the poolside BBQ and demand a refund for that food I didn't eat, can I bring along my Ron Popeil "Set it and forget it" Rotisserie and the keg and hold my own "Deck 4 medical center side bbq?".

What's the risk with a "Set it forget it". Bring your own Weber and real charcoal. No problem getting the ligher flluid onboard just get the kind in a can they are only looking for OP's bottle.

The good news if you light yourself on fire it will be a quick trip to the medical center.

When your done cooking just roll the grill under a heat sensitive sprinkler.

I love Burgers and beer - I will have mine rare - when there done just bring to the suite and we will pour you a cold one :D

So, why is liquor purchased in the onboard gift shops retained?:confused:

Because they want to make more money by forcing you to purchase your drinks at the bars ;)

Now that the crew's hot tubs are gone in the front of the ship, we can try fishing from there instead of the pool deck. Every time we would try to cast the hot dogs would get in the way. I bet trolling would be the best bet, nothing like a little fish fry after the midnight buffet :0

Pardon me if this has already been said, but if these are the worst things this person has to complain about, I would think they'd happily sail NCL again. (Alcohol confiscated, no oatmeal and have to pay for orange juice after breakfast.)

I truly believe that for the most part, your vacation is what you make of it. If you want to nit-pick about small details, then you'll have a lousy time. If you are able to roll with the punches and overlook petty details, you'll most likely have a wonderful time.

I didn't hear any complaints about the service, the food quality, the shows, the ship, the cabin, etc. Those are much more important details than the lack of oatmeal (if there really was a lack) or having to pay for orange juice after breakfast.

As for the alcohol - I'm not sure how that works since I'm not one who drinks much. But if I felt the need to "sneak" it on board, then I would have to guess that it's against the rules to bring your own. I do know it is stated clearly on the website as well as the smaller print on the cruise docs.

So, for those of us happily cruising NCL - Bon Voyage!

Hikini:D

What's the risk with a "Set it forget it". Bring your own Weber and real charcoal. No problem getting the ligher flluid onboard just get the kind in a can they are only looking for OP's bottle.

The good news if you light yourself on fire it will be a quick trip to the medical center.

When your done cooking just roll the grill under a heat sensitive sprinkler.

I love Burgers and beer - I will have mine rare - when there done just bring to the suite and we will pour you a cold one :D

You're always one step ahead!

Rolling the grill under the sprinkler is key. I must write that down.

Thankfully, you have a tub to keep the keg cold....see what happens when people work together??

Because they want to make more money by forcing you to purchase your drinks at the bars ;)

Correct - and they want to make money when we leave the ship with all that bargin priced duty free booze we buy from the ship's store :D

You're always one step ahead!

Rolling the grill under the sprinkler is key. I must write that down.

Thankfully, you have a tub to keep the keg cold....see what happens when people work together??

I would rather deal with ice in the shower then be on fire :)

No oatmeal? :eek: Oh my gosh! Someone please pass me the smelling salts!

There are worse things that can happen on a cruise than the lack of oatmeal. :rolleyes:

All kidding aside, I'm sorry your cruise was a bust. But I find your complaints unfounded. Most cruise lines make you go through a security check these days so I don't know how you're going to avoid it even by going to another cruise line. NCL is not the only cruise line who will confiscate bottles of booze.

I would rather deal with ice in the shower then be on fire :)

Ah, but shoreguy...I would then be able to sue the pants off NCL. My passenger contract said nothing about not being able to have an open fire grill on Deck 4.

I think NCL would clearly be liable in this case. I mean..I'm on a cruise ship, I'm bbq'ing indoors, and suddenly my hand gets burned. I think it's clear who's at fault.

Ah, but shoreguy...I would then be able to sue the pants off NCL. My passenger contract said nothing about not being able to have an open fire grill on Deck 4.

I think NCL would clearly be liable in this case. I mean..I'm on a cruise ship, I'm bbq'ing indoors, and suddenly my hand gets burned. I think it's clear who's at fault.

They don't miss much in the contract:

Passenger is not allowed to bring onboard the vessel without the previous written permission of the Carrier any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature,