Need a Circular Polarizer Filter for my Canon T3I

Hello All,

I need a Circular Polarizer Filter for my Canon T3I DSLR camera. There are a lot of choices out there and I really do not know what to get. I would like to get a nice one since I do have a decent camera. The lense that I will be using is the Tamron 18-270mm. The budget for the filter is no more than $150.

Thanks for all of the help and info.

David

I know there's a lot of love on this board for B+W filters, which is why I bought a B+W circular polarizer not long ago to take on our recent cruise. (I love it, btw.) You should be able to find one well within your budget; don't skimp. Make sure the filter is multicoated.

I have my filter on a Nikon 18-200mm lens, so I wanted to warn you about the potential for vignetting at the widest angles. On my lens, this happens at 18mm if I stack the polarizer on top of the (slim design) UV filter that I otherwise keep on my lens. (So I just take the UV filter off; no vignetting then. Not sure what would happen if I were using the slim design polarizer, but what I wanted wasn't in stock and many of the reviews said it was so slim it was difficult to handle in any event.)

I also have the Tamron 18-270mm lens for my Nikon. I'll be interested in all the opinions for this. I was in a rush to get a polarizer before we left on a transatlantic/Med. cruise and I got a $20 cheapie from Best Buy. I ended up taking it off as I felt the pictures were kind of bad, not as sharp as I had grown used to with the DSLR. Once it was off I thought the picture quality improved. I'm still a total newb, though, so I haven't ruled out user error. :o

Hello All,

I need a Circular Polarizer Filter for my Canon T3I DSLR camera. There are a lot of choices out there and I really do not know what to get. I would like to get a nice one since I do have a decent camera. The lense that I will be using is the Tamron 18-270mm. The budget for the filter is no more than $150.

Thanks for all of the help and info.

David

I am also a big B&W fan, but lately Hoya has introduced a high-end filter line that uses water and smudge resistant coatings and an improved polarizing material that offers 25% better light transmission than standard CPLs.

Worth a look.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoya-Circular-Polarizer-Multi-Coated-Resistant/dp/B007O2YC2O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337722111&sr=8-2

Dave

I second or I guess it is third the B+W recommendation. I believe that you need a 72mm filter for that lens, and a quick look at on-line stores, puts it in the $105.00 range.

Larry

I believe that you need a 72mm filter for that lens, and a quick look at on-line stores, puts it in the $105.00 range.

Larry

I thought the lense that I have would be 62mm for the filter. Is this correct?

David

Archived