First HAL Cruise-Underwhelmed by Nieuw Amsterdam

Aquahound

I type this hestitantly because I know any complaint on Cruise Critic, regardless of how eloquently stated, always generates flames. But that's Ok. I still want to review my Nieuw Amsterdam cruise on the possibility that parts of it may help any potential NA cruisers. I'll try to be balanced.

This was my first HAL cruise after numerous cruises on 3 other lines (see signature). I am open to new experiences and regardless of how loyal I am to any other cruise line, I am not the type of person who rags on other lines I have not tried and eventually, I'm sure I will have cruised all major lines. That said, I was really looking forward to this cruise, mostly because of the itinerary, but also for the new cruise line experience.

I'll start with major kudos to HAL. The reason I chose this cruise was the itinerary. It was 12 nights that embarked in Venice, disembarked in Barcelona, and had several stops in between I really wanted to visited, mostly Santorini and Livorno. We considered several cruises, but none compared to this itinerary. The itinerary proved to be perfect. With the exception of Naples, which I found to be disgusting, we LOVED our stops.

The Nieuw Amsterdam was spotless. Unfortunately, there was a Noro outbreak during the first few days of the cruise, so there were some necessary inconveniences, like not being able to pour our own coffee. No big deal. It prevented a full outbreak and we were grateful for not catching it. They did a good job getting the word out about several folks having symptoms. It heightened awareness.

We had Superior Suite 6088. The room was beautiful and the bed was very comfortable. I loved the separate tub and shower. Having 2 showers in the room proved useful on some days when we were pressed for time. But here is my first complaint. I was surprised to see that the newest ship of a major cruise line did not have interactive televisions. Other lines have had them for several years now, so we became a little spoiled by the ease of checking our spending statements, looking at our photos, selecting music channels, ordering room service, etc. IMO, HAL is behind the curve with this. To make matters worse, the TV remove only had up and down buttons with no numbers. You couldn't just go to the channel you wanted and it tended to skip channels when hitting the up and down buttons. On a positive note, I did like that the ship had cameras looking both forward and aft that could be viewed on the tv, that is, when we were able to actually get the tv to actually stop on that channel.

While I'm in complaint mode, I'll go ahead and get out the rest now. Open Seating dining was a disaster. There is no other way to describe it. I have never had such bad service on a cruise. This really surprised me because I have always heard so much better of HAL. This leads me to believe it is a Nieuw Amsterdam problem, not a HAL problem. Service was extremely slow. The staff never introduced themselves, never made suggestions, and were very impersonal. This may work for some, but as a frequent cruiser, I'm a little spoiled by friendly, personal service, not sitting there for 15 minutes and then having a waiter walk up and just say "what will you have?" I know this wasn't just a problem with 1 waiter because we sat in 3 different sections with 3 different waiters and it was the same every time. Even those nice little touches like removing the lobster from the shell did not happen on this ship. There was no checking to see how the food was, water glasses were often not refilled, and at larger tables, meals were not served together, creating some ackward situations for the courteous ones waiting for all meals to be served. We were handed dessert menus and asked to order dessert with our dirty dinner plates still on the table. The waiters did semm very, very busy. Maybe they have too many tables? Maybe not enough staff? I don't know, but this level of service was definitely not on par with my other cruises. We quit the MDR after only 3 nights of a 12 night cruise.

Staying on the topic of the MDR, whoever designed that room needs to be shot. The MDR is bright red in color and the lights are extremely bright. This made the room very uncomfortable. We asked about having the lights dimmed a little, but they said they only do it on formal nights, no exceptions. The second night of the cruise was a formal and the dimmed lights did make a big difference. It's hard to describe just how bright it was, but anyone who has sat under the flourescent track lighting, which is most of the room, will know exactly what I am talking about.

Ok, some kudos need to be inserted here to break it up a little. Pinnacle and Tamarind were excellent. We only had each booked once, but re-booked both after having eaten there. We were especialy impressed at how the girls in Tamarind worked as a team. Canaletto was just ok, but good considering it was free. We ate there twice, mainly just to avoid the MDR. I also have to give kudos to room service. It was always right on time and the orders were always 100% accurate.

Here's what really turned me off. I went in to this cruise knowing very well HAL has a reputation of attracting an older crowd. That's fine. I have no problem with that and I don't see it as a bad thing. But I didn't expect the entertainment and activites to be nearly as lacking as they were. Nieuw Amsterdam did not have a cover band that played nightly like most other cruise lines. The show band, the HAL Cats, did play somewhat occasionally, once in the Queen's Lounge, and once on the Lido Deck. However, in the evenings, the only live entertainment to be found was the string quartet or the Piano Bar. The Piano Bar is usually an option for us, but the lounge was tiny. It became very crowded and due to the design of the room, you could not even see the piano from several of the seats. There was also a 3 piece jazz band in the Ocean Bar, but they ended early and were not even close to a cover band. It wasn't dance music.

My biggest complaint came on night 11. This night preceded the final full day of the cruise, which was a sea day. After this port intensive cruise, this was the night folks were looking to enjoy the ship, have a couple drinks, and stay up later. However, there was nothing to do. And I do mean NOTHING. This would have been the night to have a pool party, maybe a late night comedian, maybe the HAL Cats playing. Something. But no. Nothing. We ended up going to bed at 11 out of shear boredom.

What did impress me about the Nieuw Amsterdam were the narrated sail ins/aways. We enjoyed the informative narrations about the ports, especially when leaving Venice. Playing some Italian music was a nice touch when leaving Venice.

Here's something that only multiple cruise line cruisers will understand. It baffles me all cruise lines use the exact same questions during the Love and Marriage, Majority Rules, etc, game shows. The Cruise Director stupid questions are also exactly the same, and presented the same. Can't any one cruise line come up with something unique? (That's a beef about all lines, not just HAL)

Major kudos on the wine policy. We purchased local wines at our stops and enjoyed it on our balcony during sail aways. This was the first time in all our cruises we were allowed to do this. Great policy! Not a scale tipper for us, but definitely worthy of kudos.

All in all, we did enjoy ourselves. Despite my complaints, we are mostly optimists and we still find a way to enjoy it (mostly). Most service was excellent, especially at the bars. Our room attendants, Hary and Rony, were also excellent and attentive. Will we consider HAL again? I have to be honest. It wont be at the top of my list. For the near future, it will only be if the itinerary cannot be matched, like in this case.

By the way, in case it matters, we are an upper 30s couple.

Any questions? Feel free to ask. And please be kind. I have no problem further expalining anything here. I promise to be a gentleman about it. :)

No flames here. IMO, this was a very honest and balanced review and you make some very troubling points about the MDR service. We will be on our 5th HAL cruise in September and we have never experienced what you describe... but we have also never been on the Niew Amsterdam.

I do agree with you about the lack of activities on HAL ships. It seems that even on sea days there is just not enough "going on". We know now to choose HAL cruises that are VERY port intensive. After being ashore all day and then a late dinner & perhaps the show, we're ready for bed! ;)

Just some comments on the MDR: we liked the waiter team that we happened to be assigned in Open Seating the first night, so we made it a point to make a reservation for one of their tables every night after that. That made it more like Fixed dining - they remembered our preferences, established a friendly rapport and so on. You should try that should you choose to sail HAL again.

I don't mind the MDR color/brightness, but my DH agrees with you that the "Chinese Red" is garish! :)

We would also like to see interactive TV's on HAL.

Open Seating dining was a disaster. There is no other way to describe it. I have never had such bad service on a cruise. This really surprised me because I have always heard so much better of HAL. This leads me to believe it is a Nieuw Amsterdam problem, not a HAL problem. Service was extremely slow. The staff never introduced themselves, never made suggestions, and were very impersonal. This may work for some, but as a frequent cruiser, I'm a little spoiled by friendly, personal service, not sitting there for 15 minutes and then having a waiter walk up and just say "what will you have?" I know this wasn't just a problem with 1 waiter because we sat in 3 different sections with 3 different waiters and it was the same every time. Even those nice little touches like removing the lobster from the shell did not happen on this ship. There was no checking to see how the food was, water glasses were often not refilled, and at larger tables, meals were not served together, creating some ackward situations for the courteous ones waiting for all meals to be served. We were handed dessert menus and asked to order dessert with our dirty dinner plates still on the table. The waiters did semm very, very busy. Maybe they have too many tables? Maybe not enough staff? I don't know, but this level of service was definitely not on par with my other cruises. We quit the MDR after only 3 nights of a 12 night cruise.

That was my experience with open dining on HAL, too. It was ghastly.

Thanks for your review. I agree with the vast majority of your comments. The TV being interactive is a nonissue for us, but can appreciate that is a disappointment for others. HAL is not known for their entertainment, particularly late night. I know that Open Seating has loyalists, but we're not among them. We like that HAL still has the traditional seating - IF we book early enough to snag it.

For us the Tamarind (and adjacent Silk Den) are the highlights of the Signature class ships.

Hope you enjoy your future cruises, no mater where they may be.

Thanks for taking the time to share your review with us. No flames from me or from many others I don't think. No problems with an objective review at all:)

I have to say that unlike some, I am not a fan of the N.A. - I far prefer other ships in the fleet - but that's just me.

While decor is subjective, I totally agree with you on the dining room. One of the reasons it isn't my favourite ship!

Glad you enjoyed the Pinnacle and the Tamarind. A good meal there can really add to the cruise.

A lot of commented on the lack on the interactive tv - I don't know why it hasn't been implemented - no big deal to us - but I can certainly see why it would be an expectation.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and thoughts with us. Much appreciated. I'm glad you enjoyed the itinerary and didn't let the negatives ruin your cruise. Smooth seas

Paul- I can see that coming from the other cruise lines you would have those complaints. I agree that the night life on HAL ships is lack luster at times and that "as you wish dining" can be way less than "as you wished" especially at current reported staffing levels. :(

I have to commend you for having the energy after the long port days to notice that the night life was lacking. ;) We usually retire earlier because of the long port days! :D

We would love to have an interactive system on the TV but oddly HAL has never done that. It sure does make checking your bill or booking a shore excursion much nicer to have it.

I enjoy reading an honest review and appreciate you taking the time to do that. I have never been on the NA but on our recent short cruise did notice changes in the MDR.

It seems the waiters are very overworked-before the wine stewards would do a lot of the work with the wine but this time it seemed the waiters were pretty much doing everything. It was a shame because we have always enjoyed the open seating and the waiters used to have a bit of time to share pleasantries-not so much any more.

I do love the superior rooms with the extra shower-you are right on there!

I wonder if HAL doesn't have the interactive tv screens because it does cater more to the older crowd? Not sure, but I for one, would love to see them.

Regarding your first few days-I believe that all the HAL ships for the first 48 hours (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) serve you and don't have the s&p shakers out etc to prevent the noro.

Thank you for the very positive responses so far.

One thing I forgot about ref the interactive TVs that I do think HAL deserves some kudos for is the self-serve kiosks. Of course, it would have been easier to do it in the room, but at least we didn't have to go to the front desk. They were on several floors. When we booked shuttle service in Dubrovnik and Corfu, we just went to the kiosks and the tickets were printed right there.

catl331 - Thank you for the suggestion ref reservations. But I don't think it would have worked (for us) on this particular itineray. We had long port days and often returned late. As such, we never knew when we would be wanting to eat or even if we would be feeling like dressing appropriately for the MDR, which was why we chose Open Seating to begin with. I could see doing it for other itineraries though, like the Caribbean.

Regarding your first few days-I believe that all the HAL ships for the first 48 hours (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) serve you and don't have the s&p shakers out etc to prevent the noro.

You are exactly right. But unfortunately for those who got it, there was an early noro outbreak, which caused them to stunt the self-serve for a couple more days. We received notices in our rooms alerting us to it. I'm actually ok with that. Like I said, I think it was a necessary inconvenience. They prevented it from spreading.

We would love to have an interactive system on the TV but oddly HAL has never done that. It sure does make checking your bill or booking a shore excursion much nicer to have it.

Yes, and it might also avoid long lines at the front desk when the bills finally does arrive. It seems like such a simple improvement.

How dare you come on our board and say anything bad about our HAL!:D

Only kidding.

Your review was so well writen.

It seems as though you enjoyed many things about the NA and HAL but a few things were not up to your expecations. Your review was fair and honest and that is worth a bunch to any of us. I agreed with many of your points.

Thanks for taking the time to post your findings and I do hope you will give Holland America another chance to "wow" you.

Just wondering, what is your favorite cruise line?

for your thoughtful and balanced review. DW, DS, and I are taking the same cruise (same itinerary on the NA) starting on 06/17. It was very instructive to hear your observations about the HAL experience in general and the NA in particular.

I see that you have tended to favor Royal Caribbean. I'm sure that all of us find features of a given cruiseline that become a standard against which we measure all competitors. For me, for instance, I would miss the Adagio Strings performing in the Explorers Lounge. On the other hand, DW and I have never turned on a tv set in our cabin, so the specifics of channel selection and interactivity mean nothing to us.

You mentioned in passing your unfavorable impression of Naples. We have arranged with a private tour operator for an excursion covering Pompei, Herculaneum, and Vesuvius. We anticipate that it will make for a very full day. Are we likely to escape the unpleasantness of Naples itself?

You picked HAL and the NA in this case for the itinerary. I'm sure that many of us would be pleased to hear some of the high points of your shore activities.

Your comments regarding the MDR are, for me, the most disturbing. I am very glad to be forewarned.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your perspective.

Just wondering, what is your favorite cruise line?

That's a good question. I have 2 for different reasons. I guess it depends on my mood and what cruise experience I am looking for at the time. First, I would have to say Royal Caribbean for the entertainment and ships.

On the other hand, for the service with less "family" atmosphere, I have really enjoyed my Celebrity cruises, especially on the Solstice.

Again, I have no problem giving credit where credit is due and this reminds me of something else. If there is one good thing I can say about the MDR, it's that the tables were not all crammed together (like on Celebrity and many RCI ships). There was enough space between tables to not feel like we were eating with the others.

for your thoughtful and balanced review. DW, DS, and I are taking the same cruise (same itinerary on the NA) starting on 06/17. It was very instructive to hear your observations about the HAL experience in general and the NA in particular.

I see that you have tended to favor Royal Caribbean. I'm sure that all of us find features of a given cruiseline that become a standard against which we measure all competitors. For me, for instance, I would miss the Adagio Strings performing in the Explorers Lounge. On the other hand, DW and I have never turned on a tv set in our cabin, so the specifics of channel selection and interactivity mean nothing to us.

You mentioned in passing your unfavorable impression of Naples. We have arranged with a private tour operator for an excursion covering Pompei, Herculaneum, and Vesuvius. We anticipate that it will make for a very full day. Are we likely to escape the unpleasantness of Naples itself?

You picked HAL and the NA in this case for the itinerary. I'm sure that many of us would be pleased to hear some of the high points of your shore activities.

Your comments regarding the MDR are, for me, the most disturbing. I am very glad to be forewarned.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your perspective.

Bob - I'm not the op but was there and did your thing in Naples - you will be fine - and actually, there are a couple spots in Naples quite nice. We ate there after our tours with some other cc'ers:)

Absolutely. I am happy to oblige. :)

We didn't see much of Naples either. Like you, we went out to Pompeii. However, you have to go through a very dirty part of town to get in and out of Naples. You will pass about a 10 acre shanty town filled with garbage that appeared to be about 6 feet deep on average. To see what looked like thousands of people living actually in the garbage was a bit disturbing. Also, several of the roads near the port are also covered in garbage. The first impression wasn't good either. The actual pier surrounding the port as we entered was also covered in garbage. But, you will see this from the bus as you exit and enter. Where you are going is fine and you have nothing to be concerned about.

As for the rest:

Santorini was probably our favorite. I highly suggest getting out of Thira and going over to Oia. This is where you will find the post-card views of Santorini that are so famous. In Thira, it is a few blocks walk to the bus terminal. It is only 1.60 Euros per person (one-way) and you pay on the bus. It's about a 20 minute ride.

Argostoli is also beautiful. If you can get to Sami or up to Fiskardo, it is well worth it. Mellisani Lake was pretty, but the boat ride is very short and this is a bottle neck tourist stop. You'll spend more time waiting than riding the boat.

In Catania, we booked a private tour through Sicily Life called the Godfather Tour. We went to Savoca where the movie was filmed, up to Castlemola, then over to Taormina. We loved this tour and I highly recommend it.

In Livorno, we booked a private taxi to Florence and Pisa. This provided just the right amount of time in both and we had a great time. It was 320 euros for up to 8 people.

We stayed 3 days in Venice and loved it. I recommend actually trying to get lost. Getting lost in the back alleys of Venice was a highlight for us. Get away from the western part nearest the port. The further east in Venice, the more beautiful.

Dubrovik, we want a do over. It poured rain, so we could not truly appreciate the beauty of the old city.

Let me point out something else for future Barcelona travelers. The city is very clean and mostly very safe. However, it is VERY important to be aware of scammers and pickpocketers on La Rambla. Hold on to and secure your bags and men, do not wear wallets in your back pocket.

This is a picture of a scam in progress. All the players here are involved. Once others join in, these players break off and pick-pocket those who are focused on the game. We saw it happen and reported it to the police standing nearby. Unfortunately, the police were not very interested, which means this practice will continue.

2052437070080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

Aquahound,

I enjoyed reading your review, and as others have already said, it's very balanced. I'm always skeptical of reviews that say everything was a disappointment or everything was fantastic. Every cruise I've been on has been a mix of both, some leaning more one way than the other.

Regarding things to do on the ship (or a lack thereof!), I think that has more to do with cutbacks than the demographics. When I first starting sailing HAL back in 2001, I thought there were more onboard activities than there are now.

Roz

Archived