Cruise Critic Community
EJNutz

Jubilee Celebrations

As we are about to start the celebrations for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee what plans do you all have for the long Bank Holiday weekend.

I will be leaving the UK to visit that other Queen, Minnie mouse, in Orlando.

It's not that I want to miss anything happening here, it's just that I can have a holiday abroad without using up too much annual leave.

There's so many choices....a big marine festival in our local port; big lunches everywhere on Sunday; processions, beach parties; fancy dress- through the whole 4 days!

We start at 5.50am on Saturday, when our famous fell runner sets off to run the parish boundries.....we think he's the only parish chairman in the country to be able to do this at the age of 73.....It includes running up and down Great Gable, then Scafell, the highest mountain in England!

We've all to guess how long he'll take, and OH is in charge of the stop watch, so we can be precise. He's raising money for the valley's Jubilee projects. It's a bit different, I suppose!

Jo.

As far as I am aware we only have one big celebration going on in the Island, of course apart from the Street Parties, but our street is not having one of those. The Council have built a stage, ***** a field, and having muscians, choirs and classical music and everyone takes a picnic and listens to the music and its free!!!

Of course being near London I suppost a lot of people will go up for the pagent, but as I work in London every day I fancy and nice Sunday music session.

Hope everyone enjoys themselves what ever they are doing and what ever the weather is like.

Lots of Union Jacks appearing now on cars, pubs, windows, as the good people of the Black Country prepare for not only the Jubilee celebrations, but also the Euros (red and white flags will appear next week as well) and the Olympics.

Edited by milliemine

Here in the orange and lemon tree infested fastness of Valencia Province our local bar was hopping with a street party from 1400 yesterday until 0200 this morning! We did not stay the course but many did with lots of Spanish joining in.

I remember falling off a pony at the coronation celebrations in 53 and somewhere there is a mug to recall the day, (The Coronation, not the ignominious start and finish to my riding career).

A brilliant day! We were in Battersea Park watching the Jubilee Pageant on the Thames - part of the estimated 1.2 million crowd lining the river. There was a fantastic atmosphere and a great time had by all.

A brilliant day! We were in Battersea Park watching the Jubilee Pageant on the Thames - part of the estimated 1.2 million crowd lining the river. There was a fantastic atmosphere and a great time had by all.

Wonderful! We noticed that quite a few of the people being interviewed were from the North of England, some with tents.

I've just been out to see the beacon on St Bees Head, about 8 miles away- a bit misty, but visible. I'm just sorry that Prince Philip isn't well, after his long stint yesterday.

Jo.

Edited by jocap
typo

What totally clueless coverage of the Thames Pageant by the BBC, usually so good at such things. :(

The producers & their long list of light-weight presenters ruined it for me.

I didn't glue myself to the TV to watch Clare Balding, John Sargeant, Griff Rhys-Jones, Anneka Rice, the One Show presenters & a stack of other z-list celebrities spout their inane, pointless, & un-researched drivel, with the Pageant merely acting as a background for far too much of the programme.

I wanted to watch the boats. Instead I had to watch the presenters.:rolleyes:

I wanted to know about the boats - and they came up with nothing.

They told us the James Bond boat was in the Pageant, so why didn't we see it?

There were 30 narrow-boats? We didn't see one in close-up, we weren't told anything about them.

Ditto the Dunkirk boats.

They interviewed the owner of a historic tug owner at the stern of the boat. The interview was to camera the whole time, we never did see the boat !! :rolleyes:

We were told about the various music boats in the Pageant - but we only heard a little from the Philharmonic near the end & nothing at all from the others. :rolleyes:

I could have told the audience one helluvalot more about the barely-mentioned waterfront buildings & landmarks, & I'm not even a Londoner.:rolleyes:

JB :mad: (in grumpy mood)

What totally clueless coverage of the Thames Pageant by the BBC, usually so good at such things. :(

JB :mad: (in grumpy mood)

Couldn't agree more - as we watched with friends in the North East, the comment made was "where's the Dimbleby when you really need one?"