? about boarding the Veendam

Moomduck1

Hi,

We have only cruised once before, several years ago, and I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember what we did! It was me, DH, DD, and DS and we were all so excited that first part is a blur. DH and I will be cruising in July from NYC to Bermuda. I am in the process of printing our express docs now. Our boarding pass says that we can embark at 1pm. Does that mean that if we show up earlier, we will have to wait until 1pm? I don't like cutting it that close and was planning on boarding earlier. I'm almost positive we were on the ship by 1130 the first time. Could it be because we had a suite that time? Thank you!

Chris

We found our cabin immediately and put our carry-ons in there. Spent some time checking out the cabin, very pleased with it and then walked arund the ship. At 1 p.m. we had lunch in the dining room for the Mariner's lunch. It was great.

You will enjoy your trip. The best deal was the $28 pass for 3 days (can be for 1 at $10, etc) and it not only covers all the public buses but also all the Ferries. Ferries are often faster as you will see when you get brochures with the shape of Bermuda. Sort of a Half moon. The children will enjoy the aquarium and zoo, it is $5 for children and seniors and $10 each for adults. Buses stop right there as well.

Hi,

We have only cruised once before, several years ago, and I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember what we did! It was me, DH, DD, and DS and we were all so excited that first part is a blur. DH and I will be cruising in July from NYC to Bermuda. I am in the process of printing our express docs now. Our boarding pass says that we can embark at 1pm. Does that mean that if we show up earlier, we will have to wait until 1pm? I don't like cutting it that close and was planning on boarding earlier. I'm almost positive we were on the ship by 1130 the first time. Could it be because we had a suite that time? Thank you!

Chris

We are doing a July cruise to Bermuda ,we did a July cruise last year and we were on board at 9:45 AM .

On the flip side, what's the latest one can check in for this cruise?
Technically, if you have all of your information entered in the on-line check-in to be given to CBP an hour before departure, the latest you could board would be in time to get to the 4:15 lifeboat drill. But I suggest you should be on-board by 3:30 at the latest.

Technically, if you have all of your information entered in the on-line check-in to be given to CBP an hour before departure, the latest you could board would be in time to get to the 4:15 lifeboat drill. But I suggest you should be on-board by 3:30 at the latest.

Not that I would suggest it, but after watching all the Ft. Lauderdale sail always, they were always waiting for someone to board very last minute. I was under the impression that 90 minutes out was the deadline.

I was under the impression that 90 minutes out was the deadline.

U.S. government security regulations require us to submit

certain guest information to law enforcement authorities

at least 60 minutes prior to departure. To meet this

requirement, we must have the necessary information in our

records at least 90 minutes before departure. If we do not

have your information by this deadline, you will be unable

to sail. Guests are urged to complete the Online Check-in

process before leaving home. Guests who wait to check in at

the terminal risk being unable to sail even if they arrive at

the terminal before the vessel leaves. You will be responsible

for all costs you incur to join the vessel at the next port.

Another thread had this statement about the Veendam's Aft Retreat, but might be a good thread for my question.

"it looks to me that the only time I may spend in that area will be when the Veendam reverses out into the Hudson on our sailaway...... "

Sound like she reverses first. For how long? Is it the best spot for sailaway? Where is your favorite spot on the ship during sailaway? TIA

Sound like she reverses first. For how long? Is it the best spot for sailaway? Where is your favorite spot on the ship during sailaway? TIA
It just backs away from the pier and turns 90 degrees south - a few minutes max. We were out in the Retreat area for our sailaway and got great views to both sides, but be prepared for loud videos to be playing on the big screen. :( We stayed there until we passed the Verrazano Narrows bridge.

It takes Veendam about 5 minutes to back away from the pier and then she starts down the Hudson. Pretty sure you can see Lady Liberty from the starboard side of the ship.(If I'm wrong, I know someone will correct me). Another good place to view is up on the top deck,(back by the retreat area as well), inside the Crow's Nest if weather is bad, The view down the Hudson will be great and the port side will face the World Trade Center and the NY side of the river. Then you can move to starboard and see Lady Liberty as the ship sails right by.

When I took this ride on the Eurodam's inaugural cruise, we had narration all the way down the river. They don't do that now and I hadn't heard it before.

We are doing a July cruise to Bermuda ,we did a July cruise last year and we were on board at 9:45 AM .

We didn't disembark until after 10 on our May 6 cruise. Those of us on the Homeport Bus were the last to disembark.

Were you on the Veendam last July?

I boarded VEENDAM in New York just this past Sunday. I had a plesant lunch with friends then caught a taxi at 2.45 and arrived at the pier just at about 3 o'clock. Pier staff were just starting to pack up. I went through security, checked-in and was aboard about five minutes later. Completely painless and no hassle. I think they were waiting for two other passengers.

Arriving early is fine but from this experience best time for a later arrival is probably about 2.30.

My cruise was booked as one way to Bermuda so I had a choice of when to disembark. I decided that today would be the best day althought I could stay until Friday morning if I wished. I packed this morning, stopped by Front Office for a copy of my bill... ouch! :-) ... they called housekeeping to collect my bagage and put it in the terminal. Had a quick coffee in the lido then walked ashore. Within five minutes I was able to put the bags into aa friends car who was kind enough to meet me outside the terminal then hopped on my scooter to ride home.... just 25 minutes from Hamilton. Certainly easier than any disembarkation!

Stephen

It just backs away from the pier and turns 90 degrees south - a few minutes max. We were out in the Retreat area for our sailaway and got great views to both sides, but be prepared for loud videos to be playing on the big screen. :( We stayed there until we passed the Verrazano Narrows bridge.

Luckily the big screen was out of commission during our cruise...could have been "planned" that way! ;)

A great spot for sailaway...or up on the little deck just under the Bridge.

I boarded VEENDAM in New York just this past Sunday. I had a plesant lunch with friends then caught a taxi at 2.45 and arrived at the pier just at about 3 o'clock. Pier staff were just starting to pack up. I went through security, checked-in and was aboard about five minutes later. Completely painless and no hassle. I think they were waiting for two other passengers.

Arriving early is fine but from this experience best time for a later arrival is probably about 2.30.

My cruise was booked as one way to Bermuda so I had a choice of when to disembark. I decided that today would be the best day althought I could stay until Friday morning if I wished. I packed this morning, stopped by Front Office for a copy of my bill... ouch! :-) ... they called housekeeping to collect my bagage and put it in the terminal. Had a quick coffee in the lido then walked ashore. Within five minutes I was able to put the bags into aa friends car who was kind enough to meet me outside the terminal then hopped on my scooter to ride home.... just 25 minutes from Hamilton. Certainly easier than any disembarkation!

Stephen

That is so cool, Stephen! A wonderful way to "commute" between New York and Bermuda...or the other way around! :D

Wow !!! That is highly unusual. U.S. Border Protection and Immigration will not allow any passengers to board until ALL previous passengers have disembarked (as shown by a "Zero Count" on the security system).

I would not have high expectations af a repeat of such an early embarkation. Of course if the planets are properly aligned ...

Ray in NH

Luckily the big screen was out of commission during our cruise...could have been "planned" that way! ;)

A great spot for sailaway...or up on the little deck just under the Bridge.

When we were on the Veendam last year, we were in that for sailaway, but I do not recall being "annoyed" by the big screen (maybe it was "out of commission" then also).

When we were on the Rotterdam earlier this year, at sailaway they were showing videos, but without sound :cool: (or maybe my hearing is totally shot :D). In any event, the last two times in the Retreat Area (at sailaway) we were not "annoyed".

Ray in NH

Ray in NH

When we were on the Veendam last year, we were in that for sailaway, but I do not recall being "annoyed" by the big screen (maybe it was "out of commission" then also).

When we were on the Rotterdam earlier this year, at sailaway they were showing videos, but without sound :cool: (or maybe my hearing is totally shot :D). In any event, the last two times in the Retreat Area (at sailaway) we were not "annoyed".

Ray in NH

Ray in NH

We thought the Retreat area was lovely. A pleasant surprise after we'd read so much bad press.

Archived